The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Rob Schnapf Ribbon Microphones
Old 2nd April 2018
thanks to hunter, i bought 4 of the stager SR-2N mics which live on my guitar cabs along with my beyer m88s. killer mics! thank you matt.
Old 2nd April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
I haven’t tried samar
I’ve heard they’re cool
Looks like I have a pair of Samar VL37 on the way...
Old 2nd April 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleen View Post
Looks like I have a pair of Samar VL37 on the way...
nice!let us know homie
Old 2nd April 2018
Quote:
nice!let us know homie
Will do! Should be here in a couple of days.
Old 4th April 2018
Rob, I love the Kurt Vile record you were a part of. Didn’t realize until today that you worked on it.

No specific questions, but would love to hear anything you want to share about it.

Kudos!
Old 5th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EleKtriKaz View Post
Rob, I love the Kurt Vile record you were a part of. Didn’t realize until today that you worked on it.

No specific questions, but would love to hear anything you want to share about it.

Kudos!
Fueled by modelo and tequila
Old 5th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post
Fueled by modelo and tequila
Ha. Perfect!
Old 5th April 2018
Lives for gear

What’s Rob’s favorite tequila? People need to know.
Old 5th April 2018
Lives for gear

At a certain point its all the good tequilla
Old 5th April 2018
Gear Guru

Good answer, haha!
Old 20th April 2018
Lives for gear

Thread killer
Old 20th April 2018
Lives for gear

Hey so how are those SAMArs?
Old 21st April 2018
Quote:
Hey so how are those SAMArs?
VERY impressive! I've used them as drum rooms, OHs and on a guitar cab combined with a dynamic, and in each instance I've been 100% happy with the results.

Here's a clip of the overheads as tracked; Samars->Focusrite ISA pre's->Symphony mkII:

Samar Overheads
Old 21st April 2018
Lives for gear

I can also attest to the greatness of the MF65 Samar. (VL37 said to be basically the same sound)
For many jobs. It delivers a very smooth and clear picture.
Old 22nd April 2018
Gear Guru

Talking of ribbons, has anyone here tried the Extinct Audio BM9's yet? From files I have heard they seem very cool, somewhere between a Samar and a Coles or such, vibe wise.
Old 22nd April 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Talking of ribbons, has anyone here tried the Extinct Audio BM9's yet? From files I have heard they seem very cool, somewhere between a Samar and a Coles or such, vibe wise.
flash gordon!
Old 22nd April 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
flash gordon!
Yup, see what you mean.
Old 22nd April 2018
Lives for gear

I want a Beyer 160 option.
Affordable and cardioid
Old 22nd April 2018
I’ve got 2 of the smaller Stagers on loan right now from Matthew as well as a prototype with a 3” ribbon. Loving the smaller guys on guitars. I’ll let you all know what I think about the new big guy.
Old 23rd April 2018
Lives for gear

Yeah I have the smaller Stager as well.
I love it.
Though I don’t always want figure 8 hence the Beyer 160 comparison.
Old 24th April 2018
Tracked some trombone today with the prototype stager. Really really nice. Super smooth, took the really bright brassy stuff like a champ.

I hear you on the 160. I have one and it’s almost always used for guitar. The 160 right next to my old Sennheiser 409 is my starting point for guitars almost always. The 160 has just enough ass and just enough smoothness on top for guitars for me. I like 121s, but for me they’re usually too much bottom and not enough top. Don’t know that I’ve ever encountered another ribbon like the 160. Plus you can’t beat the size. So easy to position.

At the risk of sounding like a fanboy, Beyer may be one of my favorite audio companies going. Wouldn’t trade my M88 for almost anything. Same for my 160. Same for my DT880s. Recently picked up a D71c, it’s early but I think it’s a winner too.
Old 24th April 2018
Lives for gear

I have Beyer 834 condensers and I really like those too.
Old 24th April 2018
Gear Maniac

I couldn't agree more on Beyer's, the Beyer drawer of my mic locker is one of the more densely populated.

I use 160's almost exclusively for cabs, lately I've liked it a lot for snare/HH-side overhead in a recorder man-ish config too, with a 4038 over the shoulder. Brings a nice crack to the snare, and a cool hihat and cymbal sound. They also come out on percussion a lot, sometimes piano and acoustics.

An m88 is always my choice for scratch vocals, at times they stay on as the lead vocal mic, in spite of many more expensive options. Something very cool about the slightly crunchy mid range on that mic. Also used on kick drum, bass cabs, etc.

The 201 is my favorite snare microphone. More balanced than a 57, with much better rejection.

M260's are occasionally magical on clean electric guitar, softer and with leaner bottom end than the 160's.

I rarely use the MC805's but they can be cool if I want something "hard" and precise, yet not to toppy.

The m81's are actually surprisingly versatile, a dark, solid dynamic. Cool on toms, rooms, cabs etc.

The Soundstar is perhaps the coolest lopoking one, but not overly useful. Can sound good as a lofi-ish mic for acoustics.

Rob, how would you compare the Stagers to a Coles or an RCA 74? I have both, love both, but could use something in between. Have you tried Fatheads, btw?
Attached Thumbnails
Rob Schnapf-15245625088281209237542.jpg  
Old 25th April 2018
Lives for gear

I love the stagers and use them way more then the coles now.
Also use the N22 more then the coles.
Never used a 74, so
Old 25th April 2018
Lives for gear
The Stager SR-1A is def. killer on my kick drum. Punchy low end, no excessive boom. It's gonna take the place of my Sub Kick. Thanks for the "heads up" on that one.
Old 28th April 2018
Gear Maniac

So is beyer 160 the only hypercardioid ribbon out there? I have three. And love them but perhaps a thicker/denser sounding option would be nice once in awhile.
Old 2nd May 2018
Lives for gear

the AEA KU4A the RCA BK5 and KU3A are other cardioid ribbons that come to mind.
Old 2nd May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
the AEA KU4A the RCA BK5 and KU3A are other cardioid ribbons that come to mind.
...And let's not forget the good old humble Shure SM33 (aka: the "Johnny Carson" mic):
Old 3rd May 2018
Lives for gear

Never heard one those.
What’s it sound like?
Old 3rd May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Never heard one those.
What’s it sound like?
http://www.coutant.org/sm33/shursm33.mp3

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search