The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Rob Schnapf Ribbon Microphones
Old 5th March 2018
  #2161
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by limbs View Post
question about FET compressors - got any favorites between the CAPI FC526, Pete's Place BAC500, and Hairball's? or are you generally using the rack 1176's? specifically for tracking vocal, guitars and drums. thanks y'all this is the best thread
If I’m going for the 1176 thing I use an 1176.
I love the CAPI 526 has the behavior characteristics of the 1176 but with the API
Sound.
BAC’s are nice but don’t sound like 1176s.
They’re their own thing.
Old 9th March 2018
  #2162
nog
Gear Nut
 

Hi rob, nice thread. I've been sick the last few days, just layin around. This conversation has kept me from going cocoo. Many years ago, a friend of mine named Chris did some tracking with Elliot for his last record. He said Elliot had a stash of old old recording gear he liked to track with. Valve and solid state stuff I think. Did he ever bring any toys to the party when you were working with him? Chris let me listen to a couple of acoustic guitar takes. I was knocked out by how clean and effortless his fingerpicking was, beautiful. I hope all is well with you.

Last edited by nog; 9th March 2018 at 01:53 PM.. Reason: Forgot something
Old 9th March 2018
  #2163
Quote:
Originally Posted by nog View Post
Hi rob, nice thread. I've been sick the last few days, just layin around. This conversation has kept me from going cocoo. Many years ago, a friend of mine named Chris did some tracking with Elliot for his last record. He said Elliot had a stash of old old recording gear he liked to track with. Valve and solid state stuff I think. Did he ever bring any toys to the party when you were working with him? Chris let me listen to a couple of acoustic guitar takes. I was knocked out by how clean and effortless his fingerpicking was, beautiful. I hope all is well with you.
I love Elliott Smith!

@rob S , speaking of, I've been revisiting Fiigure 8 lately (like everyday for months) and I was wondering about guitar. Electrics in particular, I just love the guitar sound on it. Sounds like a lot of double tracking, but with super humanly tight playing... can you share some of the secrets(other than good player LOL)? Like: how many layers, what mics, placement, mixing etc... (sorry if this has been covered, I jumped in late and didn't go through past posts) thanks!
Old 9th March 2018
  #2164
Gear Head
 
illold3chordme's Avatar
 

Hi Mr. Schnapf, I adore your work. Do you happen to remember the vocal chain (or at lest the microphones) that were used on the vocals for Saves the Days' In Reverie? Also, do you remember any of the guitars or amps used on the record? Thanks so much!
Old 9th March 2018
  #2165
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by nog View Post
Hi rob, nice thread. I've been sick the last few days, just layin around. This conversation has kept me from going cocoo. Many years ago, a friend of mine named Chris did some tracking with Elliot for his last record. He said Elliot had a stash of old old recording gear he liked to track with. Valve and solid state stuff I think. Did he ever bring any toys to the party when you were working with him? Chris let me listen to a couple of acoustic guitar takes. I was knocked out by how clean and effortless his fingerpicking was, beautiful. I hope all is well with you.
Elliott barely brought any gear.
He didn't start the big gear spending until after figure eight which is probably coinciding with him taking over the new monkey studio space.
Old 9th March 2018
  #2166
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesewhiteman View Post
I love Elliott Smith!

@rob S , speaking of, I've been revisiting Fiigure 8 lately (like everyday for months) and I was wondering about guitar. Electrics in particular, I just love the guitar sound on it. Sounds like a lot of double tracking, but with super humanly tight playing... can you share some of the secrets(other than good player LOL)? Like: how many layers, what mics, placement, mixing etc... (sorry if this has been covered, I jumped in late and didn't go through past posts) thanks!
I don’t really think it’s any magical secret.
Elliot’s touch on a great Gibson 330 (mainly) thru a variety of amps
(AC-30, TopHat, Ampeg Gemini I think we’re the main culprits)
Usually parts were doubled unless say like the stero Leslie of pretty Mary Kay.
Mice up mostly With a 57 and maybe some 67 here and there.
Recorded in great studios.....
Old 9th March 2018
  #2167
nog
Gear Nut
 

Thanks Rob.
Old 9th March 2018
  #2168
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by illold3chordme View Post
Hi Mr. Schnapf, I adore your work. Do you happen to remember the vocal chain (or at lest the microphones) that were used on the vocals for Saves the Days' In Reverie? Also, do you remember any of the guitars or amps used on the record? Thanks so much!
I know for sure “Stay What You Are” was a sounddelux 195.
In Reverie I’m kinda foggy on but
I’d venture a guess it would be a modded 87 with Stephen Paul capsule and inner tube electronics or a U67 then into a V76.


Amps were all over the place.
Mojave, DRZ KT-45, Vox AC30 AC50, Marshall JMP, Selmer T&B50,
Sound****ty 50+, hi watt 103, Klemt echolette, whacky Homebrew Stuff .
Guitars
Many different gtrs but it amounted to a combo of tele pickups humbuckers and P90’s.
Basically finding right tool/tone for the part.
Old 9th March 2018
  #2169
Gear Head
 
illold3chordme's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post
I know for sure “Stay What You Are” was a sounddelux 195.
In Reverie I’m kinda foggy on but
I’d venture a guess it would be a modded 87 with Stephen Paul capsule and inner tube electronics or a U67 then into a V76.


Amps were all over the place.
Mojave, DRZ KT-45, Vox AC30 AC50, Marshall JMP, Selmer T&B50,
Sound****ty 50+, hi watt 103, Klemt echolette, whacky Homebrew Stuff .
Guitars
Many different gtrs but it amounted to a combo of tele pickups humbuckers and P90’s.
Basically finding right tool/tone for the part.
Thanks for answering! I really appreciate it.
Old 9th March 2018
  #2170
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post
I don’t really think it’s any magical secret.
Elliot’s touch on a great Gibson 330 (mainly) thru a variety of amps
(AC-30, TopHat, Ampeg Gemini I think we’re the main culprits)
Usually parts were doubled unless say like the stero Leslie of pretty Mary Kay.
Mice up mostly With a 57 and maybe some 67 here and there.
Recorded in great studios.....
Thanks! It's no surprise that the magic is in the hands and writing of the player.
Old 9th March 2018
  #2171
Gear Guru
 
monkeyxx's Avatar
Hey Rob,

I notice you own both a Watkins Dominator and a Selmer Treble 'n Bass...

Are you a Syd Barrett fan? I have the Selmer for that reason... That amp has been so good to me over the years.

Never been able to try a Dominator. I've never even seen one in person.
Old 10th March 2018
  #2172
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
Yeah I like Syd.
Both great amps
Very different from one anther
Old 10th March 2018
  #2173
Some interesting early Floyd insights in White Bicycle's by Joe Boyd. (Their first producer.)
Old 10th March 2018
  #2174
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
Hey Rob,

I notice you own both a Watkins Dominator and a Selmer Treble 'n Bass...

Are you a Syd Barrett fan? I have the Selmer for that reason... That amp has been so good to me over the years.

Never been able to try a Dominator. I've never even seen one in person.
Which selmer do you have?

I have the ugly 70s metal face.
Total sleeper.
Old 10th March 2018
  #2175
Gear Guru
 
monkeyxx's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post
Which selmer do you have?

I have the ugly 70s metal face.
Total sleeper.
I have the MK II Treble N Bass head 50 watts. Same one as pictured with Pink Floyd. Billy Corgan owns at least one of these as well. Haha.

It's the black and brown one with the diamond grille cloth pattern. And cool chrome-dome knobs that have patina'd over the years.

It's got the tube rectifier. Some of the later ones were diode rectified, which is just a little different. I think the crazy expensive crocodile one is very similar to mine but harder to find and much more spendy.

It's such a vibey amp for me, some of my favorite tones I've achieved were from this head and my '60s Guild Starfire II. And more recently, my Korean "Les Paul Custom." My favorite speakers with the selmer are the 30 watt Celestions, or the Warehouse Guitar Speakers versions the Reaper.

It's got a really quirky tone control, to me, the main drawback. It's really easy to get way too bright, or way too bassy.

I have found that the best way to get a balanced tone is to jumper the inputs with a patch cable and crank the bass on the treble channel, and turn off the bass on the bass channel. And then go for very small treble or bass boosts from there. They were not lying about the "treble and bass" but when you want a nice midrange tone it does seem to take some trickery.

The real magic happens for me when it's cranked up loud. Used to blow my ears out that way. I now own two amp attenuators so I am really excited to...hopefully try to get that sound at a lower volume when I pull it out again.

I'm just so stuck on my Marshall right now I've been ignoring all my other amps..
Old 10th March 2018
  #2176
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
yikes those the croc selmers are crazy $$
Old 10th March 2018
  #2177
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
I have the MK II Treble N Bass head 50 watts. Same one as pictured with Pink Floyd. Billy Corgan owns at least one of these as well. Haha.

It's the black and brown one with the diamond grille cloth pattern. And cool chrome-dome knobs that have patina'd over the years.

It's got the tube rectifier. Some of the later ones were diode rectified, which is just a little different. I think the crazy expensive crocodile one is very similar to mine but harder to find and much more spendy.

It's such a vibey amp for me, some of my favorite tones I've achieved were from this head and my '60s Guild Starfire II. And more recently, my Korean "Les Paul Custom." My favorite speakers with the selmer are the 30 watt Celestions, or the Warehouse Guitar Speakers versions the Reaper.

It's got a really quirky tone control, to me, the main drawback. It's really easy to get way too bright, or way too bassy.

I have found that the best way to get a balanced tone is to jumper the inputs with a patch cable and crank the bass on the treble channel, and turn off the bass on the bass channel. And then go for very small treble or bass boosts from there. They were not lying about the "treble and bass" but when you want a nice midrange tone it does seem to take some trickery.

The real magic happens for me when it's cranked up loud. Used to blow my ears out that way. I now own two amp attenuators so I am really excited to...hopefully try to get that sound at a lower volume when I pull it out again.

I'm just so stuck on my Marshall right now I've been ignoring all my other amps..
The one I have is solid state rectified.
Doesn’t get as dirty as yours.
Tight and bright.
Takes pedals well.
Great straight in for Chords.
Jumper the channels and magic happens.
Sort of in between Marshall and hiwatt.
Old 10th March 2018
  #2178
Lives for gear
 
didlisquat's Avatar
Did Beck do the drums on Soul Suckin Jerk (Mellow Gold) or is that somebody else ?
Old 10th March 2018
  #2179
Lives for gear
 
Wiggy Neve Slut's Avatar
 

If you like that understated solid state vibe along w a Fark off vibrato.. check out the rare Vox satellite”.


Very warm sounding SS amp made under license by Hammond organs in the USA.

Loved mine in my drone noise band!
Old 10th March 2018
  #2180
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by didlisquat View Post
Did Beck do the drums on Soul Suckin Jerk (Mellow Gold) or is that somebody else ?
Loops
And pots and pans
Old 10th March 2018
  #2181
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
Cool wiggy
Never played don’t think I’ve ever seen a Vox satellite
Old 10th March 2018
  #2182
Lives for gear
 
Wiggy Neve Slut's Avatar
 

Yeah it was cool.. I’m just getting back into amps and am listing after a fender tonemaster.

Best recorded tones I’ve heard in eons for what I like and they’re getting supremely rare now. Vox rip offs can be had but was turned onto then through our mutual engineer buddy who has(had) one alone with one of his main acts.

That being said I’d like a matchless and bad cat too as I have pretty much all the outboard I need now.. guitars it is!
Old 12th March 2018
  #2183
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
Benson and Satellite make some real cool amps these days.
Old 29th March 2018
  #2184
Lives for gear
 
Fleaman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post
The modular channel is so sick.
I’d love one of those too.
After Jeff demo'd it for me I had to break my 'no more gear purchasing' rule.

Just such a unique piece of kit.

Dammit.
Old 29th March 2018
  #2185
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post
After Jeff demo'd it for me I had to break my 'no more gear purchasing' rule.

Just such a unique piece of kit.

Dammit.
I was gonna go imperial channel but went w a black faced modular.nuts.
Old 29th March 2018
  #2186
Lives for gear
 
Fleaman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
I was gonna go imperial channel but went w a black faced modular.nuts.
I didn't even look in the direction of the Imperial Ch.

No sir.
Old 29th March 2018
  #2187
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post
I didn't even look in the direction of the Imperial Ch.

No sir.
they’re bad ass too.
had em channel inserts on drums ..crazy.
Old 2nd April 2018
  #2188
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
Overstayer
Coil
Stager
CAPI
They’re all bringing it

Last edited by rob S; 3rd April 2018 at 06:48 PM..
Old 2nd April 2018
  #2189
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post
Overstayer
Coil
Stager
They’re all bringing it
Have you or @RoundBadge compared the Stager to the Samar ribbons? I'm ready to pull the trigger on a pair...
Old 2nd April 2018
  #2190
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleen View Post
Have you or @RoundBadge compared the Stager to the Samar ribbons? I'm ready to pull the trigger on a pair...
I haven’t tried samar
I’ve heard they’re cool
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
T-rex / So much gear, so little time
31
impact studios / Music Computers
1
djui5 / Gear free zone - shoot the breeze
1

Forum Jump
Forum Jump