The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Rob Schnapf Condenser Microphones
Old 26th May 2017
  #2071
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post
just got a cloud lifter for some clean boost on the Ribbons and low output mics.
Sounded great on the Coles and SM7.
just got the cl-z with the variable impedance/hpf. filter works in conjunction with the impedance knob when it's engaged. really cool way to get a vocal sounding where you want it on the sm7 before even touching an eq.
Old 30th May 2017
  #2072
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
You find yourself adjusting the impedance much?
Old 30th May 2017
  #2073
Gear Maniac
 

if the hpf is off, then no. but it just kinda does a thing when the filter and impedance are "sweeping" together, if you will.
Old 30th May 2017
  #2074
Gear Maniac
 
valeot's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post
I dont know if anyone has ever tried the manley/langevin dual mono mic pre but i have an old from the 90's that has been put back into heavy service and i gotta say it sounds really good.
Vocals overheads acoustics so far.
I dont know if manley just bought the name or if its a similiar design but whatever it is
It is a really articulate great sounding mic pre.
i bought this pre some days ago, it sounds great on acoustic stuff as you said, though mine has a rattling sound unless i put the input gain to 80-90%, so i have to bring it to the tech, do you remember what the tech done to your one?
Old 30th May 2017
  #2075
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by valeot View Post
i bought this pre some days ago, it sounds great on acoustic stuff as you said, though mine has a rattling sound unless i put the input gain to 80-90%, so i have to bring it to the tech, do you remember what the tech done to your one?
I sent it back to Manley for repair.
The phantom switch broke and would some ti.es smoke. I didn't feel like fixing the switch.
Shipped to Arizona where the Manley repair is.
All good now.
Old 30th May 2017
  #2076
Gear Maniac
 
valeot's Avatar
ok i see, as iam from vienna/austria thats a bit far, but i will bring it to my tech here in vienna.

are you still using yours a lot?
Old 31st May 2017
  #2077
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
Yeah I use it pretty regularly.
Love how it sounds
Old 31st May 2017
  #2078
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post
Yeah I use it pretty regularly.
Love how it sounds
Me too, on both accounts.
Old 12th June 2017
  #2079
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
When I sent my unit in for repair it was because the phantom power switch had broken and would sometimes short.
I didn't feel like replacing myself. Lots of tiny wires in a tight space and I would have to figure out the disassembly.
Got other things to do.
Anyways, I sent it in, it was fixed.
Just bring yours to a tech they will know what to do.
It's not rocket science.
But exercise all the pots and make sure they aren't crusty in there....
Old 15th June 2017
  #2080
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
Thumbs up on Phoenix audio customer support.
Robin totally took care of me.
Awesome love that company.
Old 2nd July 2017
  #2081
Hey Rob do you still have a D864? Wondering your thoughts on it and how it stacks up against other stuff you have.
Old 6th July 2017
  #2082
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Sullivan View Post
Hey Rob do you still have a D864? Wondering your thoughts on it and how it stacks up against other stuff you have.
I seem to use it on trumpet and brass alot
Old 9th July 2017
  #2083
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
Creating a set of baritone flat wounds proved to be extremely difficult.
Part shortscale bass flats Part guitar flats and one oddball.
Much more expensive then I was planning.
Old 9th July 2017
  #2084
Here for the gear
 

I'd be interested in knowing how you like the flats for baritone, I love them on bass and have thought about trying them on my bari.
Labella makes a set for Schecter. Not sure what you tune your baritone to,
but these gauges seem right for E-E 6 string 'tic tac' bass

La Bella Schecter Hellcat VI Stainless Steel Flatwound Baritone Guitar Strings
Old 10th July 2017
  #2085
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
Bass VI is different gauge then Baritone.
It's also a different scale length.
So those don't work.
I know because I tried them.
Tuned A to A
Got a set of medium guitar flats and found a flatwound
.065 for low A.
Sounds awesome.
Like way better then round wounds.
To me......
Old 13th July 2017
  #2086
Gear Maniac
 

Bringing up Mangy Love again. But, man. How did you make the bass so cool? Not only cool but, very audible and big and cool even on small crap speakers.
Old 13th July 2017
  #2087
Lives for gear
 
retractablezing's Avatar
 

Indeed, a masterpiece, songwriting and sound wise.
Old 14th July 2017
  #2088
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by brothertony View Post
Bringing up Mangy Love again. But, man. How did you make the bass so cool? Not only cool but, very audible and big and cool even on small crap speakers.
Well Dan Horne is a bad ass bass player.
That helps more then a little bit.
Old 4th August 2017
  #2089
Gear Maniac
 
europa78's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post
Well Dan Horne is a bad ass bass player.
That helps more then a little bit.
Dan rules.
Old 12th September 2017
  #2090
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
Yeah he does
Grateful shred
Old 12th September 2017
  #2091
vocal mics

hey Rob - thank you for all of your helpful anecdotes and insights. I saw you posted about using a Sony C-48 for Cat Power. What other vocal mics do you find yourself gravitating to nowadays?
Old 13th September 2017
  #2092
Gear Addict
 
joninc's Avatar
 

Don't mean to speak for rob but he said he used the new Manley silver ref mic which is based on the sony c-37a. The c48 is solid state mic and not very similar sonically.
Old 17th September 2017
  #2093
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
I just try the mic that sounds good on the singer.
So it changes depending on the project.
The New Bronx record was all SM7 into the coil mic pres daisy chained together outta one into the next.
Cat power was a combo of stuff Sony C48, the new Manley mic, her U67.
Been using the AEA N22, lomo 19A9, lomo mkl13 regularly as well.
Old 17th September 2017
  #2094
Lives for gear
 
skybluerental's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post
I just try the mic that sounds good on the singer.
So it changes depending on the project.
The New Bronx record was all SM7 into the coil mic pres daisy chained together outta one into the next.
Cat power was a combo of stuff Sony C48, the new Manley mic, her U67.
Been using the AEA N22, lomo 19A9, lomo mkl13 regularly as well.
What does the LOMO 19A9 sound like??
Old 17th September 2017
  #2095
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by skybluerental View Post
What does the LOMO 19A9 sound like??
It sounds good.
More forward and brighter then a 47.
Not modern bright.
They're real.
Old 29th November 2017
  #2096
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
The mic-parts apex 460 kit really turns that mic into something cool.
I’m really digging it.
Old 29th November 2017
  #2097
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Nice!

We might have been here before (if so excuse my sorry arse memory), but had you tried a Roswell mini47? And maybe even on a vocal? Not that this is likely to be it's forte (bit lacking in weight perhaps?) , but curious about any thoughts if you have tried one for anything at all.....
Old 29th November 2017
  #2098
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
The Mini 47 is a great mic for the money.
I just recommended it to a friend.
And it’s a good mic for not the money.
I tried it on some vocals but it didn’t win.
Neither did a bunch of mics 4x the price.
Not indicative as it just didn’t match up with that particular singer.
But if I didn’t have a bunch of other mics to Shoot the t out with.
It would’ve worked great.....
Old 29th November 2017
  #2099
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post
The Mini 47 is a great mic for the money.
I just recommended it to a friend.
And it’s a good mic for not the money.
I tried it on some vocals but it didn’t win.
Neither did a bunch of mics 4x the price.
Not indicative as it just didn’t match up with that particular singer.
But if I didn’t have a bunch of other mics to Shoot the t out with.
It would’ve worked great.....
Nice, thanks for the thoughts!

From the clips I have stumbled across it can do natural and relaxed yet detailed rather well (which would be useful on all sorts of stuff) but might appreciate a sort of cozy sounding pre for at least vocals, to hug the body of the sound a bit, or it might turn a bit pointy and hollow. Sort of like it's a TLM103 with a k47 dropped in it.
Old 29th November 2017
  #2100
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
It seems like a good tool for the toolbox.
Fast and clean.
It didn't have the weight of some other mics
With transformers perhaps.
None of these things are bad hence toolbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Nice, thanks for the thoughts!

From the clips I have stumbled across it can do natural and relaxed yet detailed rather well (which would be useful on all sorts of stuff) but might appreciate a sort of cozy sounding pre for at least vocals, to hug the body of the sound a bit, or it might turn a bit pointy and hollow. Sort of like it's a TLM103 with a k47 dropped in it.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
T-rex / So much gear, so little time
31
impact studios / Music Computers
1
djui5 / Gear free zone - shoot the breeze
1

Forum Jump
Forum Jump