The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Rob Schnapf Condenser Microphones
Old 7th September 2007
  #181
Lives for gear
 
max cooper's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
thanks,I'll take a look..I'll try it on some other computers other than mine
Try emptying the cache in your browser first. Then load it. You're probably viewing a cached version.
Old 7th September 2007
  #182
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
its good to see some problems getting solved here.
Old 7th September 2007
  #183
Lives for gear
 
max cooper's Avatar
 

A true general purpose thread!
Old 7th September 2007
  #184
hey hunter,

pete min here. i had the same problem w/ your site. i have flash, but it wouldn't come up. i clicked on the download flash prompt and downloaded the current version of flash. it then worked. maybe it doesn't work w/ older versions of flash.

hope that helps.

nice stuff btw.

pete
Old 8th September 2007
  #185
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper View Post
Try emptying the cache in your browser first. Then load it. You're probably viewing a cached version.
Quote:
Originally Posted by petemin View Post
hey hunter,

pete min here. i had the same problem w/ your site. i have flash, but it wouldn't come up. i clicked on the download flash prompt and downloaded the current version of flash. it then worked. maybe it doesn't work w/ older versions of flash.

hope that helps.

nice stuff btw.

pete

Cool..thanksthumbsup
Old 8th September 2007
  #186
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
yep i got it as soon as i downloaded the latest flash.
nice stuff.
Old 8th September 2007
  #187
Gear Nut
 

Hey Rob

I'm stoked at the opportunity to tell you I love your work on From a Basement on a Hill.. the treatment and presentation of Elliot Smith's songs is so painterly and rich, and obviously a labour of love from you and Joanna Bolme for a departed friend.

Simon.
Old 10th September 2007
  #188
Gear Nut
 

the music biz

Yeh absolutely.. they rule.

anyways, as you live in the USA and deal with alot of bands/labels/ music industry types.. was hoping to get YOUR vibe on the whole record industry changing and where you think it is going to go for bands, labels, producers etc??

CHEERS!
chris



Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post
as you know, thats the great thing about ampegs.
big bang for the buck and they sound cool.
i do not collect anything.
if its not useful than i don't want it.
with that being said i do own alot of things that
have worked once in an amazing way and than sound like **** for 10 records in a row.
Old 10th September 2007
  #189
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampegfreak View Post
Yeh absolutely.. they rule.

anyways, as you live in the USA and deal with alot of bands/labels/ music industry types.. was hoping to get YOUR vibe on the whole record industry changing and where you think it is going to go for bands, labels, producers etc??

CHEERS!
chris

my vibe is not a good one.
it seems both evident and obviouse that the music business as we know it is in a free fall.
i'm down to asking the magic eight ball for answers.
right now it says " the future is unclear check again later.
hopefully some of us will still be around when it gets figured out.
Old 10th September 2007
  #190
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimeon View Post
Hey Rob

I'm stoked at the opportunity to tell you I love your work on From a Basement on a Hill.. the treatment and presentation of Elliot Smith's songs is so painterly and rich, and obviously a labour of love from you and Joanna Bolme for a departed friend.

Simon.
thanks simon
elliott had a pretty strong hand in all that.
and all those people that helped him record those songs.
he left some beautiful music behind.
Old 11th September 2007
  #191
Gear Nut
 

the biz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post
my vibe is not a good one.
it seems both evident and obviouse that the music business as we know it is in a free fall.
i'm down to asking the magic eight ball for answers.
right now it says " the future is unclear check again later.
hopefully some of us will still be around when it gets figured out.


****..

not good.

Hopefully long term it will be alright..

However the thought of Majors paying hundreds of thousands to make records these days seems like a thing of the past.

I work for a music mag in Australia.. and ad budgets for bands just seem to be shrinking by the quarter.

If bands have a hope in hell of getting music out there it seems like they are gunna have to do everything themselves.. from recording, producing, promoting, touring (+ somehow makeing enough money to live) and be around long enough to hopefully build an audience that will come see them live)

could be a good filter for music in general though..??
Old 11th September 2007
  #192
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampegfreak View Post
****..

not good.

Hopefully long term it will be alright..

However the thought of Majors paying hundreds of thousands to make records these days seems like a thing of the past.

I work for a music mag in Australia.. and ad budgets for bands just seem to be shrinking by the quarter.

If bands have a hope in hell of getting music out there it seems like they are gunna have to do everything themselves.. from recording, producing, promoting, touring (+ somehow makeing enough money to live) and be around long enough to hopefully build an audience that will come see them live)

could be a good filter for music in general though..??
i have lots of thoughts but no answers.
Old 13th September 2007
  #193
Here for the gear
 

Hi Rob,

Either/Or is easily in my top few albums (and Elliott is a favorite of mine in general). I've been listening to that album for almost ten years and still listen to almost every song and still have it in my CD player/ipod all the time.

In fact, I'm trying to piece together a home studio - just bought oktava mk-012 mics, an API lunchbox w two 512c, into an mbox 2 pro (mainly for the ProTools) and would love to achieve a similar sound as the either/or record (as would a lot of people, I suppose), so do you have any advice or guidelines for someone just starting out trying to achieve that sound? I know it's a real broad question and my setup is only a beginner's, but any tidbits or rules of thumb would be helpful. BTW - it's really impressive to see a forum like this. It's been really interesting to read.

Thanks,
Jack
Old 14th September 2007
  #194
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
what sound are you trying to achieve?
that record was recorded on several different formats.
4 track cassette (speed trials)
1/2" 8 track
2" 16 track
live 2 track.
i think we pretty much bumped all the various formats over to 16tr 2".
cut some things from scratch on the 2".
after the 8tr stuff was bunped over to the stephens 16tr we then did some additional overdubs.
etc etc.
but it was pretty simple stuff except the live vocal acoustic songs.
lots of time ws put into the mic set up.
getting the phase right was painstaking.
Old 14th September 2007
  #195
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
has anybody tried the API waves bundle?
is it worth a **** or is it a bunch of art work?
Old 14th September 2007
  #196
Gear Maniac
 
bryancook's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post
holy crap
i didn't know john died.
when?
[email protected]#*(
anybody know what happened?
i gotta make some phone calls.
lost a long battle with dimentia. he passed on August 6. an obit is on mix mag online here...

http://mixonline.com/news/john-steph...ituary-081807/

cheers, see you at sonora sometime soon...
-b.
Old 15th September 2007
  #197
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post
what sound are you trying to achieve?
that record was recorded on several different formats.
4 track cassette (speed trials)
1/2" 8 track
2" 16 track
live 2 track.
i think we pretty much bumped all the various formats over to 16tr 2".
cut some things from scratch on the 2".
after the 8tr stuff was bunped over to the stephens 16tr we then did some additional overdubs.
etc etc.
but it was pretty simple stuff except the live vocal acoustic songs.
lots of time ws put into the mic set up.
getting the phase right was painstaking.
Well ... I'm particularly interested in the live vocal acoustic stuff (Say yes, 2:45, Rose Parade), since that's where I'm starting. Elliott's vocals in particular are always really present but mellow. Was he always close-mic'd? It seems to me I've seen pictures of him singing and playing to a single mic with the mic out about 3' or so. Don't know if they were pictures from any of these sessions. I'd always assumed before seeing those that he was close-mic'ing his voice with a couple of additional mics on the guitar.

While I've got you, I'm wondering about the order for laying tracks for some of the songs. Songs like 2:45a and Rose Parade sound like the drums must have been laid down after the acoustic guitar/vocal parts, rather than the typical drums/bass first. Is that the case and, if so, was that common for Elliott's songs? Thanks again.

Jack
Old 15th September 2007
  #198
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
the stuff we were involved in with elliot there was always a close mic on elliott for vocals and a mic on the gtr.
he didn't really sing that loud so it was hard to do it one mic.
plus we had a panning scheme with the mics that worked real good.
we would get a great performance of the song acoustic gtr and vocal live.
and then elliott would dbl to that .
tk1 vcl would be panned around 1:30 2 o'clock.
tk1 gtr would be hard panned left.
tk2 vcl would be panned around 10 o'clock 10:30.
tk2 gtr would be hard panned right.

if it was going to be a more involved song instrumentally then alot of times what we would do was elliott would cut an acoustic track to the click.
just getting tthe track to feel good, not being anal about being on it.
then cut the drums to that and moving on from there.
sometimes re cutting the original gtr, or not depending.
etc etc.
but it didn't always happen this way.......
Old 15th September 2007
  #199
Gear Addict
 

Hi Rob

Just wanted to say the work you guys did with Elliott Smith is some of my Favorite
recordings in the last 20 years. Really inspiring . Great balance of "tone" "vibe" and serving the Artist.
Old 17th September 2007
  #200
Gear Nut
 

jet or the Gemini I

Hey Rob,

Hope your well.

Was hoping you could point me in the right direction re: purchasing either an ampeg jet 12 d or a gemini I ?

The purpose for the amp is purely recording at home for my bands album...gunna track guitars in my home studio. along with my vt-40 and vt-22.

Is the gemini class a?

i want a classic guitar sound that will sound great clean but will also break up for the more rocky stuff and also take pedals real well.

from what i have read both are obviously great.. however i cant find any in Australia so its impossible to test em out a/b them to see what does what well.

thanks heaps for your help!

cheers
chris
Old 17th September 2007
  #201
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
never used a jet D.
i think those might be solid state rectifier insted of the 5Y3.
probably make it a little louder and a little cleaner.
anyways, my natural inclination is towads the gemini 1's.
they are cathode biased pushpull with 7591's for the power tubes.
somewhere in between 6V6's and 6L6's.
great reverb and the best tremolo.
Old 17th September 2007
  #202
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran kelly View Post
Hi Rob

Just wanted to say the work you guys did with Elliott Smith is some of my Favorite
recordings in the last 20 years. Really inspiring . Great balance of "tone" "vibe" and serving the Artist.

thanks kieran.
and it was fun too.
special times.
Old 18th September 2007
  #203
Gear Nut
 

ampeg

ok cool. appreciate your help.

btw.. just picked up two ampeg vt-40 top loaded combo's!! very excited. hehe

take care
chris
Old 18th September 2007
  #204
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampegfreak View Post
ok cool. appreciate your help.

btw.. just picked up two ampeg vt-40 top loaded combo's!! very excited. hehe

take care
chris
the best part about a VT-40 combo is that they're so light.
Old 18th September 2007
  #205
Village Idiot
 
Labs's Avatar
 

since this is now the official Rob S forum, I might as well ask here.

What do you think about the mastering Ted Jensen did on the Starsailor album?

Gustav
Old 18th September 2007
  #206
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labs View Post
since this is now the official Rob S forum, I might as well ask here.

What do you think about the mastering Ted Jensen did on the Starsailor album?

Gustav

i thought ted did a great job.
he manages to navigate thru the volume wars in a very hifi
manner.......to me.
Old 19th September 2007
  #207
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post
the best part about a VT-40 combo is that they're so light.

You must work out...

hahahahaha
Old 19th September 2007
  #208
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
they weigh like they sound.
Old 19th September 2007
  #209
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post
they weigh like they sound.
yep...

better stop talkin bout them.

BTW.. dug your review on HC bout the Gemini..

So what projects are you working on at the moment Rob?

I hope the Vines get to do another record with you Rob.
Old 19th September 2007
  #210
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
we're talking about it.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
T-rex / So much gear, so little time
31
impact studios / Music Computers
1
djui5 / Gear free zone - shoot the breeze
1

Forum Jump
Forum Jump