The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Rob Schnapf Ribbon Microphones
Old 28th January 2016
Well it was a punishing show. Glad for the Sunday funtime with Moog as a buffer zone. Great to see you as always, you are great host, a great hang, and a master of great sounds...

Best-
Jonathan
Old 28th January 2016
Gear Maniac

Rob, saw some pictures on Warren Huart's Instagram of your studio. Does this mean he'll be doing an episode with you?
Old 31st January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Well it was a punishing show. Glad for the Sunday funtime with Moog as a buffer zone. Great to see you as always, you are great host, a great hang, and a master of great sounds...

Best-
Jonathan
See you next year.....
Old 31st January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothertony View Post
Rob, saw some pictures on Warren Huart's Instagram of your studio. Does this mean he'll be doing an episode with you?
Yeah, I'm scared
Old 31st January 2016
Gear Maniac

Ha! Can't wait.
Old 12th February 2016
Gear Maniac

Rob S.

Great Interview with Warren!! I had to go back and listen to "Loser" before the interview was even finished. A beautiful blast from the past.

Recording is "Stacking Layers of Simplicity" dig it, man.

Don
Old 12th February 2016
Lives for gear

Can't wait to hear it, thanks so much Rob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post
Went for the vibe that he and the players made happen really.
Keyboard wise Combo of piano organ prophet mellotron.
Strats mostly, a lot of super reverb with some AC30, Ampeg Gemini 1, Marshall and Leslie .
Bass with flats thru a flip top.
Old Ludwig drums.
Some drum machines.
All feels organic.
Good tunes.
Old 12th February 2016
Gear Maniac

Rob, I have an R8 in my garage. Pretty sure the motors are cooked on it. I used it about 2 years ago to run some drop loops through and the speed varied violently during recording and playback. Worth fixing that old thing?!
Old 12th February 2016
Lives for gear

Listened to 'isolation drills' on my way to work today. Still a great album from one of indie musics royalty
Old 13th February 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hearl View Post
Rob S.

Great Interview with Warren!! I had to go back and listen to "Loser" before the interview was even finished. A beautiful blast from the past.

Recording is "Stacking Layers of Simplicity" dig it, man.

Don
Indeed. Nice to see you're still enjoying your littlepapercones.
Old 13th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Indeed. Nice to see you're still enjoying your littlepapercones.
What happened to the little paper cones site?

Great interview Rob
Old 13th February 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandeurloo View Post
What happened to the little paper cones site?

Great interview Rob
Had to let go of the littepapercones thing as the solid boxes were just too expensive. They became gradually more expensive, as each (4 I went through) manufacturer realised what it took to make them properly, so in the end the initial numbers completely went out the window and I was making them for free.
Old 15th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothertony View Post
Rob, I have an R8 in my garage. Pretty sure the motors are cooked on it. I used it about 2 years ago to run some drop loops through and the speed varied violently during recording and playback. Worth fixing that old thing?!
I doubt it.
Prolly easier to by another one used
Old 15th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Had to let go of the littepapercones thing as the solid boxes were just too expensive. They became gradually more expensive, as each (4 I went through) manufacturer realised what it took to make them properly, so in the end the initial numbers completely went out the window and I was making them for free.
Well they sound cool. That's too bad.
What is a real price you'd have to charge to afford to make them?
Old 15th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut View Post
Listened to 'isolation drills' on my way to work today. Still a great album from one of indie musics royalty
That record was so much fun to make and have great memories.
One of my all time favorites.
Old 15th February 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Well they sound cool. That's too bad.
What is a real price you'd have to charge to afford to make them?
It's two things, the drivers were such that I had to spend a lot of time matching and throwing away not useable drivers and the solid boxes were very pricey in the end (as I say, numbers changed as builders realised not that simple to get right), so if I was to go there again I think I would go fresh and use a different driver and non solid boxes. It would sound even cooler and with more depth/detail, but would likely cost about the same or more, because of the more expensive drivers.

For now the next thing is a summing box with some pretty special features that no one else has, coming under the company name of 2020Audio. Just going into prototyping later this month. Will be an exciting tool. If there will be more speakers, they would re-appear under 2020Audio as well.
Old 18th February 2016
Lives for gear

Hi Rob, I can't seem to locate any info on the Big Mouth. Are you able to share the name of the builder/company?

Old 19th February 2016
Lives for gear

Tyler Crawford makes them.
Uhhh can't seem to find his contact but i will.

Last edited by rob S; 19th February 2016 at 03:06 PM..
Old 20th February 2016
Lives for gear

Thanks Rob, much appreciated.
Old 20th February 2016
Lives for gear

For you DIYers out there, the Micrphone-parts Fox 460 kit really turns the Apex 460 Into something worthy of owning and using for real. Basically you keep the body. New electronics, transformer and capsule and mod the power supply.
Just take your time building it.
Been using it all over the vocals this past week and loving it.
Old 20th February 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
For you DIYers out there, the Micrphone-parts Fox 460 kit really turns the Apex 460 Into something worthy of owning and using for real. Basically you keep the body. New electronics, transformer and capsule and mod the power supply.
Just take your time building it.
Been using it all over the vocals this past week and loving it.
Interesting. Looking around on their site, the T-47 mic seems interesting. Basically a KM84 circuit with LDC capsule.

Which capsule do you have in your Fox 460?
Old 20th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Interesting. Looking around on their site, the T-47 mic seems interesting. Basically a KM84 circuit with LDC capsule.

Which capsule do you have in your Fox 460?
I got the RK47 capsule.
The T-47 is also sold complete by Roswell audio.
I have one of those as well.
Very nice detailed mic.
We put both of these up against our usual suspects and the mics represented incredibly well.
The T47 didn't quite have the same guts on the low mids by comparison but that's to be expected for that design, I think. And not a bad thing.
It sounded really good though.
Used it on piano and gtrs and had great results.
It's for real....

Last edited by rob S; 21st February 2016 at 01:39 AM..
Old 20th February 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
For you DIYers out there, the Micrphone-parts Fox 460 kit really turns the Apex 460 Into something worthy of owning and using for real.
Cool. I've heard nothing but good things about the work Brian Fox does (Fox Audio Research Home). The deals are all the better for us Canadians too!
Old 20th February 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
I got the RK47 capsule.
The T-47 is also sold complete by Roswell audio.
I have one of those as well.
Very nice detailed mic.
We put both of these up against our usual suspects and the mics represented incredibly well.
The T47 didn't quite have the same guts on the low mids by comparison but that's to be expected for that design, I think.
It sounded really good though.
Used it on piano and gtrs and had great results.
It's for real....
Nice! I bet the T-47 in omni is great for a few uses. Wonder what would happen if one was to put an actual BV107 transformer in there....

Thanks for the info!
Old 20th February 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Nice! I bet the T-47 in omni is great for a few uses. Wonder what would happen if one was to put an actual BV107 transformer in there....

Thanks for the info!
We tried a BV-107, and found it to be not obviously superior to our own transformer. We'd actually tested a half-dozen different transformers from all the brands you can name, and ended up with a custom winding that gave us the best distortion performance of the lot. The one we went with wasn't picked for cost reasons, but because it worked better.
Old 20th February 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mparts View Post
We tried a BV-107, and found it to be not obviously superior to our own transformer. We'd actually tested a half-dozen different transformers from all the brands you can name, and ended up with a custom winding that gave us the best distortion performance of the lot. The one we went with wasn't picked for cost reasons, but because it worked better.
Nice! I don't doubt it.
Old 20th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mparts View Post
Glad to see you joined the party. Awesome
Old 20th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:

Thanks for the info!
Oops I got it all wrong the mini k47 by roswell is transformer less. The T47 has a transformer so disregard my post about it.
I was talking about the mini K47.
But I really like the mini K47. Definitely a useful mic in the closet.
Old 21st February 2016
Lives for gear

Hey rob, i really enjoyed wathching you on that Warren Huart episode, great jokes...

I am interested in your opinion about the Overstayer M A S, i am about to demo it and need to make up my mind about a purchase.

All the best.

Alex
Old 22nd February 2016
Lives for gear

The overstayer MAS SFE and Modular are all serious ballsy tools.
I have two SFEs that I Use everyday. One lives on the drum buss.
I don't own a MAS or Modular but have spent time wth them.
And would gladly own them.
But you can't have everything all at once, so I don't.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search