The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Rob Schnapf Condenser Microphones
Old 22nd November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Nice Rob! Got a pic? That sounds so familiar... My wife has an early 60's tele that used to belong to Lowell George. He played slide on it and it had pennies under the rear bridge screws to raise the action when she got it. It's kind of a bastard guitar, but def a classic as well. The pickups are so microphonic you can sing thru em. You have to be careful during takes to not talk too loudly. But a wonderful twangy vintage sound that I've not heard from any modern Tele's. And yeah, it's got cig burns and the bar tan too.....
Whoa bill, Lowell George, that's pretty heavy(no pun intended).
Yeah I think pickups these days are over potted. It seems to be a manufacturer thing as it reduces returns. There s a definite upside to microphonic pickups. The over waxing kills some of the squirrelly liveliness. Those old pickups, you don't need a talkback mic.
And you can hear drums thru it or if your doing overdubs in the control room you will definitely hear the track thru the pickups. But nothing sounds like it.
When I get new pickups I try to get them with as little potting as possible. And I am met with reluctance to do so.
Old 27th November 2015
Lives for gear

Can't seem to upload a picture
Old 2nd December 2015
Lives for gear

VP26 with Litz wire transformer build is complete.
Slipped it into the rack and boom it's making a record.
Sounds great.
VP28's are on snare and just has that sound of vintage API.
Heiders are on the kick.
All smiles over here.....
Old 12th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post
Sounds great.
Heiders are on the kick.
Nice Rob! Glad you are digging them.
Old 13th December 2015
Lives for gear

Listening to The VP26 compared to the 512 at first I thought it was
More open or something.
But maybe open is the wrong word.
Unclogged is better way of describing it.
Old 14th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sounds great.
Heiders are on the kick.
I really like the CAPI VP26's.

What is the difference between the Litz wire tranny and the original one?
Old 14th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybluerental View Post
I really like the CAPI VP26's.

What is the difference between the Litz wire tranny and the original one?
I never A/B'd so perhaps Jeff could answer to that.
But the litz wire are strands wrapped together in a pattern compared to single wire. Sonically apparently more uniform top end and little larger bottom.
All I know is that this combo of leiber red dot litz wire xfmr and the capi kit sound fantastic. Jeff pointed out or reminded me
That I was hating on the pad of the 512.
With the VP26 I'm not using the pad, im.using the output attenuator....
I'm sure it's the subtle combination of all three adding up into euphony.....
Old 15th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
....But the litz wire are strands wrapped together in a pattern compared to single wire. Sonically apparently more uniform top end and little larger bottom.
This is excellent. Not much to add except maybe that the top is slightly "sweeter" sounding. The differences are not night and day staggering but they are there and add up.

Quote:
....I was hating on the pad of the 512.
With the VP26 I'm not using the pad, im.using the output attenuator....
I'm sure it's the subtle combination of all three adding up into euphony.....
He said "euphony".
Old 31st December 2015
Gear Guru

Rob -

I couldn't take it any longer!!! I just popped for a ZOD ID DI. Dan has told me so much about it. I know you have one - have you used it on Electric Gtrs?
Thx,

bp
Old 31st December 2015
Lives for gear

Ha, no haven't. Gees never really thought f it... I use it on drums all the time. And vocals.
But I'm Gonna try it on gtrs next week.
Old 9th January 2016
Lives for gear

whoops, I just realized that I got Dans DI confused with another box I have that occupies the same type of housing.
The other one is basically a mic splitter insert device hence the drums and vocals comment.
I have used the Zod on gtrs and it was really cool. The Tele fuzz face direct into the Zod was an awesome combo.
Mellotron and string ensemble into the Zod are also very happy together.
I use it all around as a general purpose DI....
I will use other thing but I start with Zod first.
Old 10th January 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Do you use an original mellotron?
Old 10th January 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
whoops, I just realized that I got Dans DI confused with another box I have that occupies the same type of housing.
The other one is basically a mic splitter insert device hence the drums and vocals comment.
I have used the Zod on gtrs and it was really cool. The Tele fuzz face direct into the Zod was an awesome combo.
I use it all around as a general purpose DI....
I will use other thing but I start with Zod first.
haha!! Makes sense now.... I was wondering....hmmm...rob is doin' some strange stuff with that box....

I should be getting mine soon, and I'm going to do some strange stuff too. I'm going to try it as a front end mic pre (albeit with not so much gain) into the Silver Bullet to pump up the level into an LA2a or maybe varimu and see what happens.....

Will of course use it on bass and gtrs and keys. I'm almost hesitant to try it on keys, cause I know I'll end up wanting another.... heh heh
Old 10th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by american View Post
Do you use an original mellotron?
I have a Mark VI.
Old 15th January 2016
Gear Maniac

Thanks Rob
Have you tried the 4000D?

By the way, I tried the Stretch because of what has been said about it in this thread and I immediately had to buy a couple. Great, thanks
Old 15th January 2016
Lives for gear

Hi Rob, i've heard you're currently working with my favourite songwriter, Cass Mccombs. Is there anything you can elaborate on regarding what's going on and how the new record is going? Thanks!
Old 17th January 2016
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=american;11615921]Thanks Rob
Have you tried the 4000D?

Yeah I love it.
Sonically it isn't the same when we side by side compare but there are also advantages.
There are things you couldn't play on the mark VI that you can on the 4000D because of
The mechanics of a how the real one works.
So there are trade offs, as usual.
Old 17th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by retractablezing View Post
Hi Rob, i've heard you're currently working with my favourite songwriter, Cass Mccombs. Is there anything you can elaborate on regarding what's going on and how the new record is going? Thanks!
It's gonna be cool.
Don't really know what to elaborate on.
But Start mixing in february.
Old 17th January 2016
Lives for gear

The unit I got the ZOD confused with is called the Big Mouth. Uses the same housing as the ZOD.
It takes a mic and has an insert so you can split it off and insert your favorite stomp box and run them both
Off to separate mic pres. I been using it to put slap on a drum mic or fuzz face or phaser.
Lots of fun.
Old 17th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
By the way, I tried the Stretch because of what has been said about it in this thread and I immediately had to buy a couple.
How do you like it and what do you use it on?
Old 17th January 2016
Lives for gear

Also, my love of 70's string ensemble type synths I gotta say I been really into the Waldorf streichfett.
It's kinda arpish but not exactly.
But very cool lots of vibe and musical.
Been using it a lot....
Old 17th January 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
How do you like it and what do you use it on?
I didn´t have much time to try it thoroughly because when it arrived I was just starting preparing the mixes for an album. I tried it as a send (100% wet) for bass and it´s there for all the songs in this album.
The other unit, I am using it on lead vocal, and I love it. Also as a send, 3kHz and/or 9 kHz.

On bass I think it is really nice. Not as subby as a subharmonic generator, but it gives a very smooth, compressed and constant and controlled deep lows.

How are you liking it?
Old 18th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's gonna be cool.
Don't really know what to elaborate on.
But Start mixing in february.
Ah, sorry, i thought you guys had been tracking in the meanwhile and was wondering about the experience of working with him.
Old 18th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
How are you liking it?
It does a whole lot more then the modded Dolby A cards.
Ian really took the idea and blew it out.
I don't always use it but I like it a lot.
Piano, snare, BGV's.
Never tried it on bass the way you suggested.
Interesting.
Old 18th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by retractablezing View Post
Ah, sorry, i thought you guys had been tracking in the meanwhile and was wondering about the experience of working with him.
We tracked and recorded in the fall. Then Cass went to his home studio and his been working on it with Dan Horne (bassist extraordinaire) and should be finally finished recording in a few weeks.
Then we re convene and mix....
Old 19th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
We tracked and recorded in the fall. Then Cass went to his home studio and his been working on it with Dan Horne (bassist extraordinaire) and should be finally finished recording in a few weeks.
Then we re convene and mix....
Thanks for the hindsight Rob. If you don't mind me asking further, did you know his work prior to this project? I always found that his sound on the stuff that Ariel Rechtshaid worked on was a well balanced combination between vintage and clear sounds, i was wondering if you went for some sort of specific recording vibe on this one or not at all, and also about the general gear used.

Again, sorry to be asking about this before the record is even out, i'm just very eager to know more, his work really does mean the world to me.
Old 20th January 2016
Lives for gear

Went for the vibe that he and the players made happen really.
Keyboard wise Combo of piano organ prophet mellotron.
Strats mostly, a lot of super reverb with some AC30, Ampeg Gemini 1, Marshall and Leslie .
Bass with flats thru a flip top.
Old Ludwig drums.
Some drum machines.
All feels organic.
Good tunes.

Last edited by rob S; 22nd January 2016 at 07:47 AM..
Old 24th January 2016
Lives for gear

the silver bullet is cool.
Pretty much what my stereo buss does.
You guys have the handy eq built in.
Great box.
Namm on the other hand.......
Old 24th January 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
the silver bullet is cool.
Pretty much what my stereo buss does.
You guys have the handy eq built in.
Great box.
Namm on the other hand.......

Hey Rob! Thanks for the kind words. Yes, it is in a way a lot like your frankenMCI. I did hear that NAMM was pretty horrific this year. Almost glad that I was sick and couldn't make it, but I did miss seeing a lot of old friends and acquaintances. Bummer. Did you get a chance to actually listen the the SB, or did Brad just run you through the paces? I heard from Brad that monitoring was almost impossible at the LTL booth due to 105-110dB noise floor almost constantly.
Old 24th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Hey Rob! Thanks for the kind words. Yes, it is in a way a lot like your frankenMCI. I did hear that NAMM was pretty horrific this year. Almost glad that I was sick and couldn't make it, but I did miss seeing a lot of old friends and acquaintances. Bummer. Did you get a chance to actually listen the the SB, or did Brad just run you through the paces? I heard from Brad that monitoring was almost impossible at the LTL booth due to 105-110dB noise floor almost constantly.
I listened with headphones. You could tell it was doing the thing. But yeah the over all volume/chaos was unbelievable. Hall 3 was way more chill then 1 and 2. Hall 1 had all the gtrs and amps it seemed. It was guitarcenter on HGH after roiding. Total shreddy caucaphony.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search