The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Rob Schnapf Condenser Microphones
Old 4th September 2007
  #151
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampegfreak View Post
Hey Rob,

My name is Chris and i am from Sydney, Australia..

So, just curious to know if you own any old AMPEG guitar amps...???


LOVE your work with the vines... i have beers with Ryan every now and then as he is a friend of a friend.

i like your call about making a cool record for $2 than a nice sound turd for $30k..hehe

Powderfinger... where they boring dudes to work with?

Any chance of telling what your fav mike technique is for rock guitars?

hope to cross paths with you one day.

cheers
chris


hey chris
tell ryan i said hey next time you see him.
i got a bunch of old ampeg amps.
i have two gemini I's which i really love.
the best tremolo and cool reverb.
a jet which was used alot on highly evolved.
the jet with a big muff is the distorted sound for the song highly evolved.
super echo twin is a great clean sound.
the V4 produces the sound of speakers being tortured.
and of course the SVT.
the greatest bass amp ever.
not the new ones the classic ones from the 70's with 6550's.
the powderfinger guys were really fun.
i had a blast working with them.
as far as gtr mic set ups go.
usually pretty simple, a 57 and a 67 up close.
sometimes just a 57.
sometimes a royer but rarely.
sometimes something in the room in omni if there is the space for it.
but generally 57's will get you pretty far down the road.
Old 5th September 2007
  #152
Gear Nut
 

Hey Rob,

Yeh will do.
I hear they almost have a new album ready to go... I think they really need to go to an entirely new place as it feels like they have been playing catchup to their first two records songs wise with the Vision Valley.. which i dug but not as much. Just expected them to touch new territory..
The Jet is like a class A real clean amp yah??
Sound wise is there much difference between the jet and gemini?
I have AMPEG VT40 and a VT22 and a soldano hot rod 50. both ampegs just have the biggest tone known to man. Actually ampeg guitar amps from the 70's era have got to be some of the best sounding amps ever made. i am obsessive over them..hehe
yeh i'd love to get a blue face 70's SVT with the 6146 tubes... just waiting for one to pop up on ebay at the right price..
Do you remember what the guitar set up was for Get free?
BTW..Have you ever used the MAESTRO Parametric filter?? After searching for about 8 months on ebay i got one about 6 weeks ago.. such a cool pedal.
Cheers for the tips and for replying and reading my post..

cheers
chris




Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post
hey chris
tell ryan i said hey next time you see him.
i got a bunch of old ampeg amps.
i have two gemini I's which i really love.
the best tremolo and cool reverb.
a jet which was used alot on highly evolved.
the jet with a big muff is the distorted sound for the song highly evolved.
super echo twin is a great clean sound.
the V4 produces the sound of speakers being tortured.
and of course the SVT.
the greatest bass amp ever.
not the new ones the classic ones from the 70's with 6550's.
the powderfinger guys were really fun.
i had a blast working with them.
as far as gtr mic set ups go.
usually pretty simple, a 57 and a 67 up close.
sometimes just a 57.
sometimes a royer but rarely.
sometimes something in the room in omni if there is the space for it.
but generally 57's will get you pretty far down the road.
Old 5th September 2007
  #153
Lives for gear
 
Tubthumper's Avatar
 

Hi Rob, one thing that's been puzzling me is this: I've seen the vines twice and man, the lead vocals were crap on both occasions. did you have to work hard to get good vocal takes from craig?
Old 5th September 2007
  #154
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampegfreak View Post
Hey Rob,

The Jet is like a class A real clean amp yah??
Sound wise is there much difference between the jet and gemini?
I have AMPEG VT40 and a VT22 and a soldano hot rod 50. both ampegs just have the biggest tone known to man. Actually ampeg guitar amps from the 70's era have got to be some of the best sounding amps ever made. i am obsessive over them..hehe
yeh i'd love to get a blue face 70's SVT with the 6146 tubes... just waiting for one to pop up on ebay at the right price..
Do you remember what the guitar set up was for Get free?
BTW..Have you ever used the MAESTRO Parametric filter?? After searching for about 8 months on ebay i got one about 6 weeks ago.. such a cool pedal.
Cheers for the tips and for replying and reading my post..

cheers
chris
the jet that i have has had two different lives.
its first life it was a nasty little beast.
then i got it fixed and it changed.
its not totally clean but its definitely more polite.
there are a couple of different versions of the jet.
one with 7591's one with 6v6's and one with 7591's and the triple triode preamp tubes 6BK11's.
thats the version i have.
and it is a totally different animal to the gemini's.
VT40's VT22's are very cool.
nice.
as far as SVT's go, i think the 6550's are more reliable than the 6146's.
i don't know if that is urban myth but thats what i was told, correct me if i'm wrong.
its hard for me to talk about them sonically because i've had 3 SVT's and while they've all sounded good, they've all sounded radically different from one another.
some are real clean, some are real grindy.
i think get free was a 70's metal front selmer treble and bass(very ugly amp but great sounding)
and the coloursound steve hackett addition fuzz.
i think.......
Old 5th September 2007
  #155
Lives for gear
 
paterno's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post
i kid, i kid.......
I know, but how many places have we both been to where it's a 50/50 chance that there is something funky with track 24?...

Cheers,
JP
Old 5th September 2007
  #156
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by paterno View Post
I know, but how many places have we both been to where it's a 50/50 chance that there is something funky with track 24?...

Cheers,
JP
the only thing that sounded good on tr 24 was code.
Old 6th September 2007
  #157
Gear Nut
 

i just remember my amp tech saying the 6146 blue face svt being "THE ONE".
But yeh not sure.
Yeh looking at a JET on ebay with the 7591 power tubes.. surprisingly cheap for a guitar amp made in the 60's.. mmmmm...
I need a little combo to record at home as the vt-40 & 22 are pretty loud. Not that i care what my neighbours think..hehe

Selmer amps.. cool never heard of em. will have to do some reading.

Do you collect Japanese lawsuit guitars?





Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post
the jet that i have has had two different lives.
its first life it was a nasty little beast.
then i got it fixed and it changed.
its not totally clean but its definitely more polite.
there are a couple of different versions of the jet.
one with 7591's one with 6v6's and one with 7591's and the triple triode preamp tubes 6BK11's.
thats the version i have.
and it is a totally different animal to the gemini's.
VT40's VT22's are very cool.
nice.
as far as SVT's go, i think the 6550's are more reliable than the 6146's.
i don't know if that is urban myth but thats what i was told, correct me if i'm wrong.
its hard for me to talk about them sonically because i've had 3 SVT's and while they've all sounded good, they've all sounded radically different from one another.
some are real clean, some are real grindy.
i think get free was a 70's metal front selmer treble and bass(very ugly amp but great sounding)
and the coloursound steve hackett addition fuzz.
i think.......
Old 6th September 2007
  #158
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
Off to another tangent..

Hey Rob..
do you have a smaller home mixing setup.ie: all in the computer or summing device,etc..for lets say,the more "budget" oriented projects were a big mix room isn't an option?
Old 6th September 2007
  #159
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
Off to another tangent..

Hey Rob..
do you have a smaller home mixing setup.ie: all in the computer or summing device,etc..for lets say,the more "budget" oriented projects were a big mix room isn't an option?
i'm on the verge of doing it.
gettin the garage finished off.
about to buy a protools rig finally.
got an old electrodyne i'm gonna experiment with for summing.
hopefully that'll work.
otherwise i'm gonna shoot myself.
i still like the tactile aspect of mixing where you actually get to touch things.
Old 6th September 2007
  #160
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post
i'm on the verge of doing it.
gettin the garage finished off.
about to buy a protools rig finally.
got an old electrodyne i'm gonna experiment with for summing.
hopefully that'll work.
otherwise i'm gonna shoot myself.
i still like the tactile aspect of mixing where you actually get to touch things.
Keep us postedthumbsup
I'm currently using a portable Tonelux 24 channel rig and not so portable Neve 5316 .
depending on the time..its either console summing /plugs or console summing /outboard.
A reasonable/usable compromise for budget home mixing.
Old 6th September 2007
  #161
Lives for gear
 
paterno's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post
the only thing that sounded good on tr 24 was code.
HA ! exactly my point. hahahahaha...
Old 6th September 2007
  #162
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
Keep us postedthumbsup
I'm currently using a portable Tonelux 24 channel rig and not so portable Neve 5316 .
depending on the time..its either console summing /plugs or console summing /outboard.
A reasonable/usable compromise for budget home mixing.

sounds like a good option.
when is the website gonna be up and running?
Old 6th September 2007
  #163
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampegfreak View Post
i just remember my amp tech saying the 6146 blue face svt being "THE ONE".
But yeh not sure.
Yeh looking at a JET on ebay with the 7591 power tubes.. surprisingly cheap for a guitar amp made in the 60's.. mmmmm...
I need a little combo to record at home as the vt-40 & 22 are pretty loud. Not that i care what my neighbours think..hehe

Selmer amps.. cool never heard of em. will have to do some reading.

Do you collect Japanese lawsuit guitars?
as you know, thats the great thing about ampegs.
big bang for the buck and they sound cool.
i do not collect anything.
if its not useful than i don't want it.
with that being said i do own alot of things that
have worked once in an amazing way and than sound like **** for 10 records in a row.
Old 6th September 2007
  #164
Lives for gear
 
paterno's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post
if its not useful than i don't want it.
with that being said i do own alot of things that
have worked once in an amazing way and than sound like **** for 10 records in a row.
Oh good, it doesn't just happen to me. Only for me it's the opposite -- buy a piece of gear and then it takes a year or two before it finally works on something...

John
Old 6th September 2007
  #165
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by paterno View Post
Oh good, it doesn't just happen to me. Only for me it's the opposite -- buy a piece of gear and then it takes a year or two before it finally works on something...

John
yeah that way too.
one way or the other.
eventually it makes you look like a genius.
after all those years of wearing the donkey head for bringing it up.
Old 6th September 2007
  #166
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post
yeah that way too.
one way or the other.
eventually it makes you look like a genius.
after all those years of wearing the donkey head for bringing it up.

I always seem to have a few pieces of gear on the bubble: "ok now, Full Drive 2, you have ONE more chance to make yourself useful" and then the Tube Screamer kicks its ass again. My Sovtek Mig 50 is just sitting there, waiting for the right Tele, right part, right player & a CS-3 to work its magic like it did in 1993... You & Paterno are funny...


Best- Brad
Old 6th September 2007
  #167
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_Wood View Post
I always seem to have a few pieces of gear on the bubble: "ok now, Full Drive 2, you have ONE more chance to make yourself useful" and then the Tube Screamer kicks its ass again. My Sovtek Mig 50 is just sitting there, waiting for the right Tele, right part, right player & a CS-3 to work its magic like it did in 1993... You & Paterno are funny...


Best- Brad
its been awhile since my lovetone ring modulator made me look smart.
Old 6th September 2007
  #168
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampegfreak View Post
i just remember my amp tech saying the 6146 blue face svt being "THE ONE".
to de urban mythicate(?) it appears that it wasn't so much a failure problem
(although i swear i read that) but an availability issue.
now in 2007, its not real easy to find matched sextets of 6146's which
haven't been made for years.
also SVT's with 6146 are only the first year i think.
69-70 ish.
anyways who cares
it doesn't effect sales,
in fact nothing really does because nobody buys records anymore........
arggghh!
Old 6th September 2007
  #169
Lives for gear
 
paterno's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_Wood View Post
I always seem to have a few pieces of gear on the bubble: "ok now, Full Drive 2, you have ONE more chance to make yourself useful" and then the Tube Screamer kicks its ass again. My Sovtek Mig 50 is just sitting there, waiting for the right Tele, right part, right player & a CS-3 to work its magic like it did in 1993... You & Paterno are funny...
Best- Brad
Hey Brad !! The sound of '93 will come back before you know it, and you'll be happy you never got rid of the Sovtek. But if you do want to part with it...

Hope all is well !!

John
Old 6th September 2007
  #170
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post
sounds like a good option.
when is the website gonna be up and running?
Should be up..gotta have flash for it to work.thumbsup
Old 6th September 2007
  #171
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post
as you know, thats the great thing about ampegs.
big bang for the buck and they sound cool.
i do not collect anything.
if its not useful than i don't want it.
with that being said i do own alot of things that
have worked once in an amazing way and than sound like **** for 10 records in a row.
Funny ,I have a bunch of old ampegs lining a hallway waiting for a trip to the tech.
just can't seem to muster the drive/cash to do it.
Old 7th September 2007
  #172
Gear Addict
 
s00p3rm4n's Avatar
 

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
Should be up..gotta have flash for it to work.
I'm running Firefox. It's not loading on my compy either.

FAIL

And also, this thread has officially turned into the guest-starriest thread ever. I'm waiting for every other engineer and producer I like to drop in. George Martin'll be all like "I love Pop Tarts" and Jon Brion will add, "I collect Japanese lawsuit Pop Tarts, but I can't finish a F&I()ing album to save my life."

Last edited by s00p3rm4n; 7th September 2007 at 03:40 AM.. Reason: Because Jesus just saved 15% or more on car insurance.
Old 7th September 2007
  #173
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by s00p3rm4n View Post
I'm running Firefox. It's not loading on my compy either.

FAIL
Audio Verite - Pro Audio Rentals

hhmm.weird..the link seems to work here...gotta check that out.


Quote:
Originally Posted by s00p3rm4n View Post
And also, this thread has officially turned into the guest-starriest thread ever. I'm waiting for every other engineer and producer I like to drop in. George Martin'll be all like "I love Pop Tarts" and Jon Brion will add, "I collect Japanese lawsuit Pop Tarts, but I can't finish a F&I()ing album to save my life."
Yeah. ,it just kinda casually keeps floating along
Old 7th September 2007
  #174
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
Audio Verite - Pro Audio Rentals

hhmm.weird..the link seems to work here...gotta check that out.




Yeah. ,it just kinda casually keeps floating along


i cant get it in firefox either.
take those ampegs to amphole.
bob will get them singing.
Old 7th September 2007
  #175
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_Wood View Post
I always seem to have a few pieces of gear on the bubble: "ok now, Full Drive 2, you have ONE more chance to make yourself useful" and then the Tube Screamer kicks its ass again. My Sovtek Mig 50 is just sitting there, waiting for the right Tele, right part, right player & a CS-3 to work its magic like it did in 1993... You & Paterno are funny...


Best- Brad
Hey Brad. If you talk to Liz anymore, tell her I said hi.

Oh, and try a Zvex SHO in front of the Mig50!
Old 7th September 2007
  #176
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
Audio Verite - Pro Audio Rentals

hhmm.weird..the link seems to work here...gotta check that out.
Not working on Safari 2.0.4 either - says I need the Flash player even though I have it
Old 7th September 2007
  #177
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniorhifikit View Post
Not working on Safari 2.0.4 either - says I need the Flash player even though I have it
thanks,I'll take a look..I'll try it on some other computers other than mine
Old 7th September 2007
  #178
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
this is what it says:

Alternate HTML content should be placed here.This content requires the Adobe Flash Player.Get Flash
Old 7th September 2007
  #179
Lives for gear
 
thenoiseflower's Avatar
 

someone mentioned a zVEX SHO into a MIG 50, thumbsup

specialy with an old quiet guitar, killer,

60's SG, or an old melody maker is that chain.
Old 7th September 2007
  #180
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post
this is what it says:

Alternate HTML content should be placed here.This content requires the Adobe Flash Player.Get Flash
This is so weird..I just can't get it to not load..
thanks ..I'll pass it on to the web guy
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
T-rex / So much gear, so little time
31
impact studios / Music Computers
1
djui5 / Gear free zone - shoot the breeze
1

Forum Jump
Forum Jump