The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Rob Schnapf Condenser Microphones
Old 10th September 2015
  #1741
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
Well playing to a click and making tempo maps has been around a long time.
Bumping up the click a bpm for the chorus and bringing it back for the verse while the take is going down(for example)
And We would put 300 edits in the 2" to make it feel right if we had to.
So if it feels good roll with it or fix what doesn't feel good.
Other songs want that grid and that's fine too.
Just use your discretion.

Last edited by rob S; 10th September 2015 at 06:41 PM..
Old 10th September 2015
  #1742
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
also, you know you can look at where the drums lay against the click/grid and are feeling good and use that as your reference point as to How to correct them.
So You have a window of groove around the grid that is acceptable and you fix it when it steps out of that window.
On the other hand some drummers just suck.....
Old 10th September 2015
  #1743
Lives for gear
Rob,

Any of this stuff yours?



Track sounds great!
Old 10th September 2015
  #1744
Editing is an art form.
Old 10th September 2015
  #1745
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyglover View Post
Editing is an art form.
+150000000000 And not very many people are actually good at it.
Old 12th September 2015
  #1746
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
Rob,

Any of this stuff yours?



Track sounds great!
Nah that's not my studio....
Old 12th September 2015
  #1747
was b'lieve i'm goin down mixed to 1/4"?
Old 13th September 2015
  #1748
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyglover View Post
was b'lieve i'm goin down mixed to 1/4"?
Nope
Burl or genex
I gave up on tape.
It's inconsistent.
And it's expensive.
Those two things shouldn't go together.

Last edited by rob S; 13th September 2015 at 08:14 PM.. Reason: thoughts
Old 21st September 2015
  #1749
Lives for gear
Rob, what's your general approach towards tracking and mixing drums these days? Listening to the new Kurt Vile I feel like I'm hearing muted drums tuned pretty low, with the balance favoring the direct mics on the drums versus say the overheads being way up in the drum mix. When you start a mix, are you bringing all faders down and starting with drums or do you rough it out and adjust from there? In general I'd just like to know about your process in this regard.

Overall, I really dig the tone of this album. It's dark, punchy, and sounds wide open. You don't often hear a banjo and a wurlitzer together either.
Old 21st September 2015
  #1750
Yeah that album is on repeat here.
Sounds amazing.

Last edited by jeremyglover; 22nd September 2015 at 02:12 PM..
Old 23rd September 2015
  #1751
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
Rob, what's your general approach towards tracking and mixing drums these days? Listening to the new Kurt Vile I feel like I'm hearing muted drums tuned pretty low, with the balance favoring the direct mics on the drums versus say the overheads being way up in the drum mix. When you start a mix, are you bringing all faders down and starting with drums or do you rough it out and adjust from there? In general I'd just like to know about your process in this regard.

Overall, I really dig the tone of this album. It's dark, punchy, and sounds wide open. You don't often hear a banjo and a wurlitzer together either.
I'm into doing what seems to suit the song or the vibe.
But my room is small and tight so when cutting drums there, that's the sound we go for.
It's definitely a blend of all the mics, the overheads are in there giving the overall balance of the top but they aren't super high up and the room isn't live so there isnt a lot reverb bouncing around.

Good question about mix process. I think I kinda rough in the drums and bass and get a mixing and then just start swirling around dialing things in as the mix emerges.
Try t get the vocal in there earlier rather then later.
Get things to fit together up the middle and decorate the sides.
Old 23rd September 2015
  #1752
Lives for gear
Thanks for the great answer Rob!
Old 30th September 2015
  #1753
Rob, the bass on your mixes is always a rock solid foundation.
are you using slower release times to keep the bass locked in place?
Old 1st October 2015
  #1754
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyglover View Post
Rob, the bass on your mixes is always a rock solid foundation.
are you using slower release times to keep the bass locked in place?
Huh, interesting.
Well I really like it to sit in there.
Usually track it with two compressors on it.
A distressor 3:1 with fast release into a CL1B or LA3a
And then in mix, another a distressor, again 3:1 maybe play with release time maybe not.
Or the overstayer modular thing if the song has evolved and the bass needs different kinda love.
But in general None of them are set to stun.
The 3A/CL1B would be taking 3 do off.
Distressor would be what sounds right.
Just knocking it back and getting it to sit.
Yet trying to maintain its natural sort of character.
All subject to change arbitrarily based on reaction to
coffee and beer management.
Old 1st October 2015
  #1755
Hey Rob,

I noticed your mixing an artist from my neck of the woods, Andy Shauf - I have been lucky enough to have worked with Andy a couple of times, and really dig his vibe - very interested to hear what you come up with on this record, looking forward to hearing it

Also, thanks for keeping this awesome thread rolling for so long - this is the heart of the place as far as I am concerned.

BTW - love the new Kurt Vile - what a warm and punchy sound - simply sweet to listen too - the stereo field is really dense but still groovy and inviting - some of the most inspirational production/mixing I have heard for some time

Regards

Orion

Last edited by Hardtoe; 2nd October 2015 at 02:08 AM..
Old 2nd October 2015
  #1756
Here for the gear
Hey Rob,

Bishops and Knights are both traditionally considered to have a similar value, worth roughly three pawns each. However, I have heard arguments that under certain circumstances they are not so closely comparable. Are there situations where Bishops are more valuable than Knights, or vice versa? What factors should I weigh when considering a trade-off, for example?

Thanks,

G
Old 2nd October 2015
  #1757
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardnerknight View Post
Hey Rob,

Bishops and Knights are both traditionally considered to have a similar value, worth roughly three pawns each. However, I have heard arguments that under certain circumstances they are not so closely comparable. Are there situations where Bishops are more valuable than Knights, or vice versa? What factors should I weigh when considering a trade-off, for example?

Thanks,

G
They aren't worth as much as your queen, you loser. Try defending her and you might beat me.

Last edited by rob S; 6th October 2015 at 02:50 AM..
Old 6th October 2015
  #1758
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardtoe View Post
Hey Rob,

I noticed your mixing an artist from my neck of the woods, Andy Shauf - I have been lucky enough to have worked with Andy a couple of times, and really dig his vibe - very interested to hear what you come up with on this record, looking forward to hearing it

Also, thanks for keeping this awesome thread rolling for so long - this is the heart of the place as far as I am concerned.

BTW - love the new Kurt Vile - what a warm and punchy sound - simply sweet to listen too - the stereo field is really dense but still groovy and inviting - some of the most inspirational production/mixing I have heard for some time

Regards

Orion
I love Andy.
I mixed one song "Jenny Come Home"
Hope to do more.

Last edited by rob S; 7th November 2015 at 06:36 PM..
Old 16th October 2015
  #1759
ok, the Andy Shauf track Rob mixed "Jenny Come Home" has just dropped - check it out here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3rE...ature=youtu.be

and some info here:

Singer-Songwriter Andy Shauf Signs To Anti-, Releases New Song : All Songs Considered : NPR

Nice mellow yet upfront vibe in the mix - feeling it
Old 16th October 2015
  #1760
Lives for gear
 
dandeurloo's Avatar
Nice vocal sound. Got any info on what you did to his vocal?
Old 17th October 2015
  #1761
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
I think it's pultec 1176 at 4:1 barely moving the meter on the Gates SA39( to darken it a touch and hit that iron)
And some XQP de-essing.
Not compressing for a sonic thing so much but more to get it to sit in the mix pocket.
Old 17th October 2015
  #1762
Lives for gear
 
dandeurloo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post
I think it's pultec 1176 at 4:1 barely moving the meter on the Gates SA39( to darken it a touch and hit that iron)
And some XQP de-essing.
Not compressing for a sonic thing so much but more to get it to sit in the mix pocket.
Cool, how about FX on the vocals?
Old 17th October 2015
  #1763
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
Some Tape slap via fulltone
Old 18th October 2015
  #1764
Gear Addict
 
Blues Bird's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post
Some Tape slap via fulltone
TTE or SSTE ?
Old 18th October 2015
  #1765
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
Tube cuz it has the tone control.
But my favorite is the solid state EP3.

Last edited by rob S; 20th October 2015 at 10:08 AM..
Old 27th October 2015
  #1766
Gear Maniac
hey Rob,

just wanted to reach out and ask you about your experience with the aforementioned Burl units?

I'm picking up one of dr.Bill's (genius) Silver Bullet units for my 2 bus and possibly a dedicated ADC for the print. Read a lot of good things about the B2 Bomber ADC with the transformer input.

really intrigued by the idea of saturating/coloring at the 2 bus print stage and wanted to see how the Burl stuff was treating you.

the new Kurt Vile record has been getting a lot of playtime over here. a welcomed addition to a long list of records that you've had a hand in that I'm immensely inspired by.

sorry to nerd! hope all is well man.
Old 27th October 2015
  #1767
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
I love the burl mothership. Definitely sounds really good.
It surpassed my hopes for what it would be.
nice top and bottom and image.
I haven't messed around too much with the transformer saturation
As that's kinda what I'm already doing on my stereo buss.
Thumbs up on the silver bullet.
Old 18th November 2015
  #1768
Here for the gear
 

Kurt had some good words to say about Rob in this article. Check it:
Kurt Vile: Just Let It Flow | Premier Guitar

That J45 and Tele sound killer on Pretty Pimpin'.
Old 22nd November 2015
  #1769
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
The Tele is a 64 body with a 65 neck, jumbo frets, lively microphonic pickups and
A serious bar tan.....
Definitely a special guitar and a great tool to have around.
Old 22nd November 2015
  #1770
Gear Guru
 
drBill's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post
The Tele is a 64 body with a 65 neck, jumbo frets, lively microphonic pickups and
A serious bar tan.....
Definitely a special guitar and a great tool to have around.
Nice Rob! Got a pic? That sounds so familiar... My wife has an early 60's tele that used to belong to Lowell George. He played slide on it and it had pennies under the rear bridge screws to raise the action when she got it. It's kind of a bastard guitar, but def a classic as well. The pickups are so microphonic you can sing thru em. You have to be careful during takes to not talk too loudly. But a wonderful twangy vintage sound that I've not heard from any modern Tele's. And yeah, it's got cig burns and the bar tan too.....
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
T-rex / So much gear, so little time
31
impact studios / Music Computers
1
djui5 / Gear free zone - shoot the breeze
1

Forum Jump
Forum Jump