The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Rob Schnapf Condenser Microphones
Old 1st September 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post
I just checked out the silver bullet on the louderthanliftoff web site.
Looks really cool.
That's pretty much the deal right there.
Very nice

I've been using one prototype or another of the Silver Bullet for almost 2 years now on the mix bus instead of the console - and it never comes off. Honestly, the Orion doesn't have the cool mix busses like your MCI is modded for, so I actually like the SB hybrid mixes better than my Orion mixes. I do mix the ergo's of having a console though.... But I'm going to put a Silver Bullet on the mix bus when she gets resurrected.
Old 1st September 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
no, i mean its in there pretty healthy but i dont do tons of stereo buss compression.
i use transformer saturation more.
but never the less there is still some dynamic range so i gotta leave some room......
Gotcha, sounds like we might be talking about a similar thing with different terms. I do load my drums up with transformers, although not a huge fan of tons of it on the mixbus. I'm not flatlining my converters, but I definitely tickle some red.

I also can be guilty of making that SSL bus compressor dance on a more aggressive track .

other times she just stays in the beautiful 'off' position.
Old 1st September 2015
Lives for gear

yeah i dont tickle the red.
in the green real healthy or whatever color it is before the red.
but no red.
i still like the smart C1 4:1 not taking more then 4 off in auto.
thats a sound.
Old 1st September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
I've been using one prototype or another of the Silver Bullet for almost 2 years now on the mix bus instead of the console - and it never comes off. Honestly, the Orion doesn't have the cool mix busses like your MCI is modded for, so I actually like the SB hybrid mixes better than my Orion mixes. I do mix the ergo's of having a console though.... But I'm going to put a Silver Bullet on the mix bus when she gets resurrected.
i think this box is a really excellent idea.
super cool.
Old 2nd September 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
i think this box is a really excellent idea.
super cool.

Thanks Rob. Both Brad and I have put a lot of effort, listening and brain cells into this baby. I know it's changed the way I work. Hopefully it will resonate with others as well. Like I mentioned, if you want, we'd love to get one into your hands to check out for awhile after we've got some spares. Cheers, bp
Old 2nd September 2015
Lives for gear

58 pages of this?
Crazy
Old 2nd September 2015
Old 2nd September 2015
Gear Guru

To quote seal....

Miracles will happen as we trip
But we're never gonna survive, unless...
We get a little crazy
No we're never gonna survive, unless...
We are a little...
Crazy... Crazy... Crazy...

Old 2nd September 2015
Lives for gear

Still Loving it..
Old 3rd September 2015
Lives for gear

Well as long as everybody keeps contributing......
Old 3rd September 2015
Quote:
Well as long as everybody keeps contributing......
Contribute? HA!

We just post in feeble hopes of drawing more tidbits from your awesome arsenal of stories, tips, tricks, and thoughts. Let's go for 100+.

Plus I look at this thread as a 'safe place' ha. Sanity reigns. Or Insanity reigns, but done politely.

Best-
Jonathan

Last edited by [email protected]; 4th September 2015 at 12:08 AM..
Old 3rd September 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Contribute? HA!

We just post in feeble hopes of drawing more tidbits from your awesome arsenal of stories, tips, tricks, and thoughts. Let's goo for 100+.

Plus I look at this thread as a 'safe place' ha. Sanity reigns. Or Insanity reigns, but done politely.

Best-
Jonathan
+1
Old 4th September 2015
Gear Nut

Favorite thread on GS. Chill but informative, conversational but pushes the ball forward.

Case in point, Rob's reply to my recent question got me to (finally) relax on the "new converters?" question. A real "ahh, **** it" moment. If that translates.

Last edited by Petesie2; 4th September 2015 at 01:54 PM..
Old 4th September 2015
Lives for gear

My favourite thread on GS.

Thanks Rob!
Old 4th September 2015
Lives for gear

thanks Jules
For letting this page continue to wander along.
I think......
Old 5th September 2015
Hey Rob, obviously things change song by song but what would be a standard mix setup? apart from drums, are you doing much parallel stuff?
do you print tracks back in for the wonderful world of recall?
cheers,
Jeremy
Old 5th September 2015
Lives for gear

Rob.. Curious as to what your facility does.

Is it just mixing,overdubs or are you a fullstop shop that does drums too?

Or do you still hit your fave Sunset for drums/mixing like you did for Vines and Elliot.. ( beein spinning 'Figure 8' this week and its just a great sounding vibe.. and LA Whoa.. great mix n song!)... ***Ill stop the Wayne's world '... not worthy ' rant now )

Pics would be sublime if possible so we can see the vaunted 428b ( no need for innards) and all your tasty hit making kit.

Thanks
Wiggy
Old 5th September 2015
Lives for gear

Haha, facility, I like that.
I been pretty much just working at my humble space.
It's not big but the recording space feels good and sounds good.
Tight but good.
It's all about the budget, really.
The ones I deal with now are relatively $mall so I don't get to camp out at sunset anymore.
I wanna be able to make a record, Not just blast out a recording
As the time v money ratio tries to dictate the art...
so I am thankful for my space as it allows me to have some control over the budget
In a way that we still get to craft a record.
And that's why I do this, I love the process.
If I had to always crank **** out without any care towards craft
I'd go do something else....

Last edited by rob S; 5th September 2015 at 01:58 PM..
Old 5th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyglover View Post
Hey Rob, obviously things change song by song but what would be a standard mix setup? apart from drums, are you doing much parallel stuff?
cheers,
Jeremy
Not really.
Other than running the mix to two different stereo busses at the same time.
then jam one into the other on top of that, as dr bill and I we're talking aboutearlier
So that's sort of parallel but not really, I Guess, I don't know.
Sometimes I run a vocal thru a twin triode home brew preamp for some
Extra teeth and blend that in underneath but not really doing much beyond the drums and whatever you call the stereo buss shenanigans....
Old 5th September 2015
good stuff.
thanks.
Old 6th September 2015
Lives for gear
Rob, when working with an artist, how involved are you in things like the arrangement, instrumentation, tempo, key, etc.? Or are you more of a Steve Albini, "I'm here to document the band" type? If you do get involved in helping shape the songs before they ever hit a microphone, are there any particular songs or albums you worked on where you're especially proud of your contribution, and if so, what [was the song/album/project] and why?
Old 7th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
Rob, when working with an artist, how involved are you in things like the arrangement, instrumentation, tempo, key, etc.? Or are you more of a Steve Albini, "I'm here to document the band" type? If you do get involved in helping shape the songs before they ever hit a microphone, are there any particular songs or albums you worked on where you're especially proud of your contribution, and if so, what [was the song/album/project] and why?
Yeah, definitely work on arrangement and shape and all of that.
Sorry, I couldn't really pick one song off the top of my head over a bunch of others. Seems unfair to the rest. ....
Old 8th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet.d View Post
This begs the question, tequila of choice? ...nuts & bolts or fancy?
Hornitos
Reposado
Old 9th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyglover View Post
cheers,
Jeremy
Hey Jeremy
Yeah I stem the mixes out just in case we need to do a recall later.
usually its just the main mix, but the stems sure can come in handy....
Old 9th September 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Not really.
Other than running the mix to two different stereo busses at the same time.
then jam one into the other on top of that, as dr bill and I we're talking aboutearlier
So that's sort of parallel but not really, I Guess, I don't know.
Hahaha, love it. Inbreed the mix up itself for extra toes and fingers.
Old 9th September 2015
Lives for gear

Haha, yeah I know but I was shocked how well it worked when I stumbled upon it.
Saturating the neve transformers opens them up. And there is something about how they handle the drive that is way more pleasing then say driving the API the same way.
By Whatever means necessary......
Old 9th September 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Haha, yeah I know but I was shocked how well it worked when I stumbled upon it.
Saturating the neve transformers opens them up. And there is something about how they handle the drive that is way more pleasing then say driving the API the same way.
By Whatever means necessary......
Indeed! I love the way you 'do' and don't question the logic of the resulting mayhem (where many might go 'Oh no, this must be wrong....I probably shouldn't give it 6 toes' ) but go by sonic-emotional result. Tired of everyone being so cerebral about making records. Let the gut feeling decide!

EDIT: That 'stumble' is what I call 'a present' and you are obviously wide open to receiving such presents throughout the day's work and letting them help the magic happen. This is I think where many mess up and mistake the present for a mistake they need to clean up, whether it be a funny patch thing you stumble upon or a little part of a performance that at first isn't obviously 'right'....sometimes it's like the more you 'let happen' the better or conversely, the mor you actively 'build things' the more cerebral and calculated/dull it gets........rant over.....

Last edited by Karloff70; 9th September 2015 at 07:05 PM..
Old 9th September 2015
Lives for gear

If you do something long enough, you start to figure out that you need to start to figure it out.
Old 9th September 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
If you do something long enough, you start to figure out that you need to start to figure it out.

Old 10th September 2015
Lives for gear

Hi Rob, just wondering if you'd be happy to share your thoughts/philosophy/approach to timing and tempo, especially regarding regulating the tempo via a click track and aligning parts to a grid.

I'm assuming that the music I grew up listening to in the 60's, 70's, and early 80's wasn't tracked to a click. I'm also assuming that slight tempo variations would have been the norm rather than the exception, and that these variations served to enhance the song in terms of generating mood, excitement, and emotion - speeding up a smidge before the chorus, slowing down a touch for the start of the second verse etc.

As an example, So Lonely by The Police. This graph shows the extent of the variation in tempo of the song. I wonder how the song would've turned out if it had been tracked to a click and snapped to a grid.

PS, I'm working and playing in indie/alt pop and rock bands.

Thanks.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search