The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Rob Schnapf Condenser Microphones
Old 10th February 2015
rll
Gear Maniac

The NLAudio Flexi mic pre is the best I've ever used for distorted hair-- bass, keyboards, gtr, drums, even the bass DI'ed through this thing is better than any stompbox I've ever found, on par with the Verellen Big Spider. Full disclosure, these guys have teched for us for years, but I never let friendship get in the way of sound-- there's are reason 24 of them are in our console.
Old 11th February 2015
Lives for gear

How is it for normal use?
Old 11th February 2015
rll
Gear Maniac

Simply one the best all around pres I've used. But I have a very particular way of working-- I almost never use outboard pres in our studio, and purposefully record with one pre, like the old days-- I just use what's in the console. When I was a kid, there were virtually no outboard pres available-- you went to a studio and recorded on an API or Neve or MCI, etc. You may have mixed somewhere else. Lots of great records made that way, and I guess I'm under the spell of believing that a single mic pre helped to define the sound in a good way. Also interesting to see how you learn your mics and eq using one main pre. I find it a very fluid way to work, and sources are easier for me to mix and combine. We have 24 API's on one side and 24 flexi's on the other. It's pretty obscene I'll admit. And no disrespect to all the other ways of recording, this just works for me and has for a long time.
Old 11th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rll View Post
Simply one the best all around pres I've used. But I have a very particular way of working-- I almost never use outboard pres in our studio, and purposefully record with one pre, like the old days-- I just use what's in the console. When I was a kid, there were virtually no outboard pres available-- you went to a studio and recorded on an API or Neve or MCI, etc. You may have mixed somewhere else. Lots of great records made that way, and I guess I'm under the spell of believing that a single mic pre helped to define the sound in a good way. Also interesting to see how you learn your mics and eq using one main pre. I find it a very fluid way to work, and sources are easier for me to mix and combine. We have 24 API's on one side and 24 flexi's on the other. It's pretty obscene I'll admit. And no disrespect to all the other ways of recording, this just works for me and has for a long time.
Agreed, I dont really remember seeing outboard mic pres until the late 80's when someone had racked some 312's.
In the last 5 years or so I ended up relying more on 500 pres when i got into my own space and had a console in a constant state of modification while making record after record. So the flow changed by circumstance. It is also interesting how you learn what the different pres do so Now i kinda dig it having the different flavors.
Old 12th February 2015
Gear Nut

Wow, I stumbled upon this thread recently. This is amazing. In Reverie, all of Elliott Smith's albums, and the first two Vines albums were and still are hugely influential for me. When I found out the same guy worked on all these a few years back, my head exploded. Simply because of how important they've all been to me at different points in my life (from back in middle school through today). Crazy.

From A Basement On The Hill is an incredible collection of recordings. The production and direction of the songs is so damn cool. So much distortion on the full band tracks King's Crossing is one of my favorite songs ever. ...I've read there are a lot more completed tracks from those sessions that haven't been officially released? Maybe some day.

Anyway, thank you!
Old 13th February 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post
Now i kinda dig it having the different flavors.
When recording drums, are all the mics generally using the same sort of pre?
Old 13th February 2015
Lives for gear

No rules.
Old 26th February 2015
Lives for gear

Rob, you had high praise for the smart 500--have you played with the obsidian at all?
Old 4th March 2015
Lives for gear

I have never heard the obsidian.
How bout you?
Old 4th March 2015
Lives for gear

Got one a few weeks ago, I'm a fan--pretty special thing happening with the transformers. I've liked it for cutting vocals, drum buss, of course mix buss...I'm pretty sure it works on most things. I'm up just a couple blocks from ks if you want to swap for something sometime and check it out
Old 4th March 2015
Lives for gear

The Obsidian sounds great.

It is kind of like a Smart on steroids.
Compared to the C1 I would say it is wider and deeper in its stereo image.
The HPF is nice for certain material.
The skull ratio setting and lo fi release are also quite useful distortion devices.

To me it compresses almost exactly like a C1 with similar settings, but the line amp sounds better to my ears and it does not collapse the stereo image like the C1 does in stereo mode.

Really cool box.

Quote:
I have never heard the obsidian.
How bout you?
Old 4th March 2015
Gear Guru

Yeah the obsidian is cool.
Prefer it to the smart too.a little slicker sounding.cool features.
Old 4th March 2015
Gear Guru

Rob if your done w the Capi comp lemme know. I can pick it up.
I'm in mt wash close by you
Old 4th March 2015
Another vote for the Obsidian here. My default mix buss compressor. Has a kinda transform-y tone a la the old Red 3s, but with a way, waaaaay nicer (and more predictable...maybe it's just me but I always feel like Red 3s don't *quite* do what I want/expect) grab and compression action.
Old 4th March 2015
Lives for gear

Hey hunter
Whenever you want it.
I really like it.
Interested to see what you think.
Old 4th March 2015
Lives for gear

Gees the obsidian sounds very interesting.
I have been a dedicated C1 user for so many years.
I always kinda liked it for all the qualities it has.
When thats bugging me i switch it out for something else.
Been using the nail alot as well.
Guess its time for another shoot out.....
Old 4th March 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Hey hunter
Whenever you want it.
I really like it.
Interested to see what you think.
great just pm me addy and cell#
Old 4th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Gees the obsidian sounds very interesting.
I have been a dedicated C1 user for so many years.
I always kinda liked it for all the qualities it has.
When thats bugging me i switch it out for something else.
Been using the nail alot as well.
Guess its time for another shoot out.....
I've been thinking about the Nail--how do you like it as say compared to the Manley Vari-Mu? Had one of those for a while but while classic, it wasn't quite as versatile as I'd hoped--seems like the Nail may be. Been using a Sonic Farm Creamer+ for tube vibe duties--nice piece indeed.
Old 4th March 2015
Gear Guru

I've got a new chandler redd tube pre here.
Sounds great.
I think two padded for running mixes would rock.
Old 4th March 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
Sounds great.
I used to do that a bunch with the Revolution Redd.47s we got here at my shop. Sounds pretty great!
Old 4th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
Sounds great.
Niiiice--would love to shootout the creamer+ with two of those
Old 5th March 2015
Lives for gear

The manley vari mu never did it for me but i love the manley langevin dual mic pre thing.
Hunter when swing by to get the capi 526 hy dont you leave the redd with me, haha
Old 5th March 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
The manley vari mu never did it for me but i love the manley langevin dual mic pre thing.
Hunter when swing by to get the capi 526 hy dont you leave the redd with me, haha
I actually can leave w/ you for fri if you want.
I'm on a location job that day.
Old 5th March 2015
Lives for gear

Nah i was joking. Thats all right.
Thanks though.
I think im gonna take friday off thank god.
Nice to have a 3 day weekend mixed in amongst the no day weekends
Old 5th March 2015
Village Idiot

"Labs joined the Rob S live Chatroom"

Still no Q & A forum planned with Rob?

"Labs left the Rob S live chatroom"

Gustav
Old 5th March 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Thanks though.
3 day weekend -sweet
let me know if you wanna try it sometime.
talk tmmrw.
Old 5th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labs View Post
"Labs joined the Rob S live Chatroom"

Still no Q & A forum planned with Rob?

"Labs left the Rob S live chatroom"

Gustav
Ha what do you need a Q & A platform.
This is 53 friggin pages long.....
Old 5th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks though.
Cool--what's your go-to buss comp for days off? I'm liking the serpent 4001
Old 5th March 2015
Lives for gear

Tecate
Old 5th March 2015
Quote:
Ha what do you need a Q & A platform.
This is 53 friggin pages long.....

Yes, but this being gearslutz, I feel morally compelled to point out the pages 37-52 are the best pages written, and that all pages after that just don't sound the same, what have you done and why did you do this to us? If you would only re-issue those pages with the original text and font, for alot less money, or better yet make them into a plug in that runs in audacity... then I would buy them for my spoken word interpretive gerbil tone poems after I get my credit card limit raised above $125.00. But as a game changing [I'm pro am at tiddle winks], fresh making, very self important, "producer" I need to get back to making beats in my mom's basement before she comes home from work and makes me turn down my sub's. I digress, enough talk about me...let get back to me, sooo what do you think of me? Does Tecate in the new can sound as good as "old' Tecate in pop top? Is brown glass Tecate as good as clear?

Actually we would probably all like a Q&A as you have so many awesome stories and tips/tricks, and searching 54 pages [or reading them] is ummm tough. Thanks for being so open about what and how you do your thing. Also thanks for making great records that stand the testes of time. You have some of the best instruments and amps, not to mention toys, and stellar back stories on each one, not to mention are a damn fine host. Always a pleasure man!

Best-
Jonathan

Last edited by [email protected]; 5th March 2015 at 05:04 PM..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search