The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Rob Schnapf Condenser Microphones
Old 28th September 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post
Yeah have stephen paul capsule from i think 1988-89.
I couldnt tell you how its different cause i dont have the neuman capsule anymore.
I just know that the combo of innertube and SP is really good.
Its just an 87 body at this point.
Dont know if im gonna make it to AES, camping trip might interfere
Also, just had the opportunity to demo a bunch of Sanken mics.
Always operated under some assumption that they were clinical and vibeless.
DIRNT, incorrect
The CU-41 was really really nice
It has a SDC LDC combo in the mic.
Never knew that.
Body and detail.
Really sounded like music.

Also, remember to put some windows to the outside world in your studio.
Its nice to see the beauty while you work.
Boom
I'm a huge fan of the CU-44Xs on drums, perc and acoustics. They're the transformerless version of the CU-41. The lack of a transformer (at least that's what I attribute it to) gives them really great transients on OHs or rooms. I was lucky enough to find a used pair this year. They don't pop up very often.

Never gotten to use the CU-41, but I've heard they're great on vocals, etc... The dual capsule thing is pretty amazing on the Sankens.
Old 29th September 2014
Quote:
Also, remember to put some windows to the outside world in your studio.
Its nice to see the beauty while you work.
Boom
I have two in my CR, and they are almost lifesavers. A long, narrow one in front of me that means I can look outside the whole time I'm working, that with some trapping and other tricks does no audio harm, and a world of human good...

dr Bill I'm hoping you come by our Moog/Rupert Neve/sE booth at AES [#1028] and we can meet in person, and Rob if you are coming out [much easier than NAMM, lol], and need a pass again let me know? A beverage might be in order as well... We had such a great time last year at your place!

Best-
Jonathan
Old 29th September 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I have two in my CR, and they are almost lifesavers. A long, narrow one in front of me that means I can look outside the whole time I'm working, that with some trapping and other tricks does no audio harm, and a world of human good...

dr Bill I'm hoping you come by our Moog/Rupert Neve/sE booth at AES [#1028] and we can meet in person, and Rob if you are coming out [much easier than NAMM, lol], and need a pass again let me know? A beverage might be in order as well... We had such a great time last year at your place!

Best-
Jonathan
Will do Jonathan! I should be hanging around the Louder Than Liftoff booth [#1452]. Will try to stop by and say "hi". I've been collaborating on a new box with Brad @ LTL that we are planning on showing. Should be pretty cool. If the vendor doesn't mess up the faceplate.....again. LOL
Old 29th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

Best-
Jonathan
well lets have another party in january!
if i make to the show it will be early friday.
hope to see you then.
Old 29th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EleKtriKaz View Post
I'm a huge fan of the CU-44Xs on drums, perc and acoustics. They're the transformerless version of the CU-41. The lack of a transformer (at least that's what I attribute it to) gives them really great transients on OHs or rooms. I was lucky enough to find a used pair this year. They don't pop up very often.

Never gotten to use the CU-41, but I've heard they're great on vocals, etc... The dual capsule thing is pretty amazing on the Sankens.
yeah i dig the dual capsule thing.
i had seen an old picture of simon and garfunkel doing vocals at columbia and they were singing into a 47 and km-56.
so i started trying the LDC SDC combo out and its a real thing.
with the sanken its one stop shopping....
those CU-55"s are really cool too.
dual small diaphragm.
liked the innertube audio 87 setup on acoustics more but the 55's sounded great on overheads and piano.

Last edited by rob S; 29th September 2014 at 11:32 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 29th September 2014
Quote:
well lets have another party in january!
if i make to the show it will be early friday.
hope to see you then.
I am sooooo down. ;~}
Jonathan
Old 14th October 2014
Lives for gear

AES was cool
for a few hours at least.
Old 14th October 2014
Gear Guru

Rob, I saw you a couple booths away, but then turned around and you were gone! LOL Hope you had a good time.

Jonathan - went by your booth a couple of times and you weren't there.....bad luck on my part I guess. Hope AES was good for you guys. Super busy for me.....
Old 16th October 2014
Lives for gear

Damn, didnt see you.
I was looking for you guys then got overwhelmed.
Definitely felt a couple of IQ points dumber by the time we left.
Old 16th October 2014
Lives for gear

Damn, didnt see you.
Old 16th October 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Damn, didnt see you.

I know man. My brain is still scrambled, and my feet still feel like someone hammered the bottoms of them. Just a FYI, here's the new box that LTL and I released...

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/137t...-tone-amp.html
Old 17th October 2014
Lives for gear

Very interesting. A one stop shopping box of vibe.
Old 17th October 2014
Quote:
AES was cool
for a few hours at least.
Ha ha ha. I wish [on the few hours thing]. It was the best AES in some time.
Great to see you and the KS crew. Looking forward to January!

Best-
Jonathan
Old 17th October 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Rob, I saw you a couple booths away, but then turned around and you were gone! LOL Hope you had a good time.

Jonathan - went by your booth a couple of times and you weren't there.....bad luck on my part I guess. Hope AES was good for you guys. Super busy for me.....
Bill- Sorry I missed you, I was busy with several of the AES Raw tracks series [what fun]. I did Ken Caillat and the Rumours multitracks and helped the amazing Mark and Mark with the Beach Boys, so I was gone for 2 hours on Thursday and Saturday.
Since my laptop has now worked with Fleetwood Mac and the Beach Boys, can I sell it for $$$$ on ebay?

Really was a good show. Bill your new box looks uber cool.

Best-
Jonathan
Old 17th October 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Bill- Sorry I missed you, I was busy with several of the AES Raw tracks series [what fun]. I did Ken Caillat and the Rumours multitracks and helped the amazing Mark and Mark with the Beach Boys, so I was gone for 2 hours on Thursday and Saturday.
Since my laptop has now worked with Fleetwood Mac and the Beach Boys, can I sell it for $$$$ on ebay?

Really was a good show. Bill your new box looks uber cool.

Best-
Jonathan
I agree - it was a great show this year. I've heard LA has secured 2016, so we'll be back in 2 years this time instead of 12. (Never could figure that one out....)

Anyways, no worries, we'll meet up at some point. :-) Thanks for the Silver Bullet comments. We're excited.....
Old 17th October 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
I agree - it was a great show this year. I've heard LA has secured 2016, so we'll be back in 2 years this time instead of 12. (Never could figure that one out....)

Anyways, no worries, we'll meet up at some point. :-) Thanks for the Silver Bullet comments. We're excited.....
We can try again at NAMM, now that you've come over to this side of the aisle, you get to go to Anaheim...It's just like being in Southern California, or wait it's not, we can get embroidered hats, I'm told...
Old 17th October 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
We can try again at NAMM, now that you've come over to this side of the aisle, you get to go to Anaheim...
Ughh......do I HAVE to? I've done NAMM more times than I can count. Enough that I know how to walk straight in without a badge. heh
Old 22nd October 2014
Lives for gear

My favorite part of namm is the 3mile walk to the convention center from the parking lot.
Old 22nd October 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
My favorite part of namm is the 3mile walk to the convention center from the parking lot.
i usually pay the hilton next to the convention center for valet..they ask if your staying there but when you put 50 bucks in their hand it becomes irrelevant..
costs a bit but then walking through beautiful suburban Anahiem on a saturday
Old 25th October 2014
Lives for gear

Whats the word on the Warm Audio 1176?
Anybody try these out?
Im thinking about it......
Old 25th October 2014
Lives for gear

I got a deal on a black face 1176 last week that means its never leaving my hands!

Am keen to see how the warm and mohog compare..

W
Old 30th October 2014
Lives for gear

Let me know what you think
Old 30th October 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Let me know what you think
I bought one about a month ago. Sounds really good. Very impressed for the price. Going to get another one. Only disappointment is the power supply transformer is very noisy and the retailer hasn't a spare one. Waiting for a replacement
Old 31st October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
tom sold the demideo a few years back.
it was from wally heiders 4.
lots of great records were made on it.
graham parsons grievous angel and GP, tom wait bones howe period, the original soundtrack to hair(is that good?) on and on.
32 channels, very ergonomically pleasing with mic pres located in the front recessed into the bolster.
the down side was there were no proper booster cards, instead there were mic pre cards strapped differently so everything went thru an extra transformer.
thus the round mond of sound.
it was not the fastest console in the world.
certain kinds of music sounded really really good.
it excelled at acoustic music and simple non complex rock.
the dense rock guitar and cymbal bashing was more challenging.
it gave you the round mound sound no matter what you put in.
and i miss it........
So after such an EPIC and informative thread I'm going back to the start about the DeMedio console.

All the above are salient points and ring true from my perspective..

The First Foo Fighters has that sound and glue all over and you can hear what Rob is describing in the sense that the sonics are kind of 'slow' for a better or worse description. I can definately see where you're coming from on that description.

RE: Tom Waits and the 'Hieder' years... i can hear it all over 'Small Change' which sounds awesome still after all these years and was cut live to 2trk!.. it is artful that record that it sounds so good and was live.

Wiggy
Old 1st November 2014
Lives for gear

great playing and arrangements with the energy of the take are just gonna sound good no matter what
Old 1st November 2014
Lives for gear

As far as in the box eq goes, i have been trying out the slate rack thing. The neve eq is really good.
I am quite surprised how much i like it.
Its not just cool artwork, it actually sounds like neve.
Old 1st November 2014
Lives for gear

And the batch command will add hours back onto my life once we fgure it out.
What a simple great idea.
Old 1st November 2014
rob, since it looks like Infratronics is no more...would you prefer the Purple or the Mohog for general 1176 duties? The dual channel Mohog looks really appealing...is there a transformer you use more than the other?
Old 1st November 2014
Lives for gear

mohog over the purple for sounding more like an 1176.
general purpose 1176 duties the standard transformer.
if something is really bright or want to warm something
up ie musically shave off some top then the carnhill.
Old 2nd November 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
As far as in the box eq goes, i have been trying out the slate rack thing. The neve eq is really good.
I am quite surprised how much i like it.
Its not just cool artwork, it actually sounds like neve.
As in, when you add bass it doesn't just do bass but actually moves air? ;-)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search