The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Rob Schnapf Condenser Microphones
Old 2nd February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
Ian brought the Stretch over.looks bad ass.it wasn't playing to well w/ my 1608..think he's sorted it.need to call.
Yeah I figured out what it was. The 1608 has a grounding scheme that is sort of different than the typical 500 series rack, and the prototype didn't like that at all. It's alllll sorted for the production design.

Ian
Old 2nd February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ian brought the Stretch over.looks bad ass.it wasn't playing to well w/ my 1608..think he's sorted it.need to call.

In what way were they not getting along?
Kids these days.....
Old 2nd February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post
In what way were they not getting along?
Kids these days.....
Well the 500 series spec has 2 ground pins, labelled power and audio. So what a lot of designers do is keep them separate and expect them to be tied together by whatever lunchbox they are plugged into.

What API told me is that the original 500 series spec really only had 1 ground (the power) and the audio ground was really just meant as an alternate location to "get at" the ground for cable harnesses, etc.

Anyway, the API 1608 only connects the power ground to REAL ground and the audio ground is left floating. The Stretch proto expected them to be tied together. In the production Stretch, there's a jumper that connects them (but can be lifted if needed).
Old 2nd February 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by imacgreg View Post
Yeah I figured out what it was. The 1608 has a grounding scheme that is sort of different than the typical 500 series rack, and the prototype didn't like that at all. It's alllll sorted for the production design.

Ian
Yay can't wait to try!!
Old 2nd February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well one doesnt replace the other.
Two differnt things completely.
I'll bet. To be more clear, only other comp in the home studio is an api 2500. Hence the consideration for a tracking friendly option in those price ranges.
Of course an 1176 flavor is Specific but the standard had gotten my attention for its voc, instrument potential.

Mant is looking very nice btw.
Old 2nd February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet.d View Post
I'll bet. To be more clear, only other comp in the home studio is an api 2500. Hence the consideration for a tracking friendly option in those price ranges.
Of course an 1176 flavor is Specific but the standard had gotten my attention for its voc, instrument potential.

Mant is looking very nice btw.
Thanks, its small yet powerful.

In this case personally i would want an 1176 and then an LA3A.
I never really bonded with the 2500.
Instant love with the stretch.
But its a different thing.
To me Its seasoning.
1176/LA3A is some main ingredient.
Old 2nd February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by imacgreg View Post
Well the 500 series spec has 2 ground pins, labelled power and audio. So what a lot of designers do is keep them separate and expect them to be tied together by whatever lunchbox they are plugged into.

What API told me is that the original 500 series spec really only had 1 ground (the power) and the audio ground was really just meant as an alternate location to "get at" the ground for cable harnesses, etc.

Anyway, the API 1608 only connects the power ground to REAL ground and the audio ground is left floating. The Stretch proto expected them to be tied together. In the production Stretch, there's a jumper that connects them (but can be lifted if needed).
Was it single ended sounding?
Or how did it manifest its unhappiness?
When would you need to lift that ground?
Old 2nd February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Was it single ended sounding?
Or how did it manifest its unhappiness?
When would you need to lift that ground?
Oh it would totally not work. All sorts of unexpected behavior as the analog circuit doesn't have a ground.

Lifting the ground would probably be almost never necessary. Perhaps if a customer was experiencing some noise or buzz, I would have them try lifting it as it technically could eliminate a ground loop.

Best practice (when possible) is to keep "dirty" and "clean" grounds separate and tied together at only one point. Some 500 series rack manufacturers actually recommend that you do this. But those modules won't work in some API consoles!!

Ian
Old 2nd February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks, its small powerful.

In this case personally i would want an 1176 and then an LA3A.
I never really bonded with the 2500.
Instant love with the stretch.
But its a different thing.
To me Its seasoning.
1176/LA3A is some main ingredient.
Appreciate your take. Trying to consider 76 options lately.

Not to stray too much from the interesting stretch talk but fwiw re; the 2500, I know some like what it does for drum buss or mix but I like it much more on midrange stuff (voc's or gt's-keys buss etc.)
That said, I heard a 2500 w/ Steve's opamps (inward connections) on a mix and although it lost much of the midrange focus thing, an intriguing spread & clarity was gained to my ears. Plan to check them out but might wait till a stock op amp goes 1st.
Old 3rd February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Appreciate your take. Trying to consider 76 options lately.

Not to stray too much from the interesting stretch talk but fwiw re; the 2500, I know some like what it does for drum buss or mix but I like it much more on midrange stuff (voc's or gt's-keys buss etc.)
That said, I heard a 2500 w/ Steve's opamps (inward connections) on a mix and although it lost much of the midrange focus thing, an intriguing spread & clarity was gained to my ears. Plan to check them out but might wait till a stock op amp goes 1st.
Arent they socketed?
You could be waiting for a very long time.
You could just plug some others in....
I bet 990's would be sweet too.
Forsalls.
get a pair of 1176's either mohogs or infratronics.
(Havent heard the warms)
A pair of stretch's
A pair of 3A's
A couple of opamps
A raise
A second job
Old 4th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Arent they socketed?
Forsalls.
(Havent heard the warms)
A pair of stretch's
A pair of 3A's
A couple of opamps
A raise
A second job
i have a buddy thinking about either a Mohog or an Infratronics.

if you could only have one, which one?

i have only heard the Mohogs and they are really nice.
Old 4th February 2014
Gear Guru

The infratronic is rockin.
I compared directly w my Mohog and prefer it.
Old 4th February 2014
Lives for gear

I love the mohogs but if you want a straight up 1176 like dead on, infratronics.
But i really dig the mohogs as character flexibilty w/transformer option.
So i am glad to have both.
Old 4th February 2014
Lives for gear

Which reminds me warren.....
Old 4th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Arent they socketed?
Forsalls.
(Havent heard the warms)
A pair of stretch's
A pair of 3A's
A couple of opamps
A raise
A second job
I heard someone else's / didn't try it myself yet but I hear they are not socketed, pull right out. I'll have to run that by Radovan.

Talked w Warren yesterday, wa76 should be here by next week. (a friend said they prefered it over the mohog in their comparison so?)

I have to wonder how much validity there may be to potential sonic benefits gained from burn in of parts over significant time periods. In considering older Urei's etc.
Seems to me to be an interesting consideration.

**** if I had that raise a mothership, 140 plate, varimu & pair of Samars fancy ribbons would be on a truck headed E w the storm.
Old 4th February 2014
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
The infratronic is rockin.
I compared directly w my Mohog and prefer it.
Well, there ya go.

Quote:
Which reminds me warren.....
What, kind sir, are you reminded of?

Needing a stereo pair?

War
Old 4th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I heard someone elses but didn't try it myself yet but I hear they are not socketed / pull right out. I'll have to run that by Radovan.

Talked w Warren yesterday, wa76 should be here by next week. (a friend said they prefered it over the mohog in their comparison so?)

I have to wonder how much validity there may be to potential sonic benefits gained from burn in of parts over significant time periods. In considering older Urei's etc.
Seems to me to be an interesting consideration.

**** if I had that raise a mothership, 140 plate, varimu & pair of Samars fancy ribbons would be on a truck headed E w the storm.
Burn in of old parts that have to be replaced.....
They would sound good new.
Then they start to sound different.
Then they get weird.
Then you fix the parts that are ****ed.
Not the ones that have drifted but still work.
From there the chase is on.
Old 4th February 2014
Lives for gear

How do the warm 76's compare to the infratronics?
And i want to re-iterate i really like the mohags.
They have something else to offer.
Infratronics and mohogs are fine bedfellows.
Plus its nice to have some wood in your rack, so to speak.
That is not a euphimism
Old 5th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't think anyone's gotten there yet. I'll be interesting though based on how much folks like the infratronics.
Old 5th February 2014
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
The Infratronics Classic FET ($1299) is as true of a Rev D clone as it gets on the market to our knowledge. It doesn't alter values or try to add or take away, it's like building a Rev D in modern times as close as you can get. It's all done in the USA, the linking etc is exactly like originals as well. It uses reissue transformers which likely go a good way towards its sound. It is built in the USA and isn't based on kit building but uses varied suppliers to achieve the desired components of the build. It has an OFF position like the originals (no compression but properly gain staged). Power supply is all internal.

The Warm WA76 ($599) is a mix of revisions in all reality, although I am not picky enough to state that it matters or is worth talking about. There are small differences that aren't any bigger than what you would find varying between a room full of 1176 style FET compressors. It doesn't have a link, he left that off to save a few bucks (we offer a mod to add it back). It uses the Cinemag transformers which sound very good to me (and are very expensive). It is built in China like all current Warm Audio gear, which saves money. It does not have a traditional OFF position (you can disengage all the buttons). It uses an external power adapter.

The action between the two is very similar, you're just not going to find much variance in the control they exhibit. The Infratronics to my ear has a bit more smooth "vintage" tone to it, whereas the Warm is a clean and open sound.

Those are very basic differences we experienced after spending days with them side by side. Overall I gotta say they both have their strengths and you cannot go wrong with either depending on your goals.

War

Last edited by warhead; 17th February 2014 at 09:27 PM..
Old 14th February 2014
Lives for gear

how does the warm compare to the purple?
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear

the XQP de esser thing is a really great piece of gear.
it sounds so natural.
or it doesnt sound unnatural.
really useful.
love it.
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear

the XQP de esser thing is a really great piece of gear.
it sounds so natural.
or it doesnt sound unnatural.
really useful.
love it.
Old 4th March 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
how does the warm compare to the purple?
what I've heard so far is the W76 is a more open and transparent up top affair to the purples kind upper mid bump/aggressive thing.
not sure I want more open top end on 1176 vocals but who knows when it could be just the right vibe for something.
600 bucks?sure .
id pay another 100 to lose that wall wart though.
Old 4th March 2014
Jai guru deva om

Sorry, I missed that question before.

The Purple definitely is a brighter sort of sound with that upper mid presence as mentioned. It is likely going to have the lowest noise of any of the units although we haven't measured them side by side, but he is using a superior power supply / scheme. The Purple should also have more headroom on the input, and the metering is more accurate in both calibration and tracking / speed.

The Warm is a wide bandwidth sound that I would categorize as being more open top and bottom (more bass) and the top end not being as pronounced and bright vs the Purple. The compression is of course very similar, probably not even worth worrying over any differences there.

These are very general observations.

War
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
what I've heard so far is the W76 is a more open and transparent up top affair to the purples kind upper mid bump/aggressive thing.
not sure I want more open top end on 1176 vocals but who knows when it could be just the right vibe for something.
600 bucks?sure .
id pay another 100 to lose that wall wart though.

Checked out & think the wa76 is a very good buy for many & also if the more open top serves you well for drums or?

For me & in considering vocals, I'm now looking at the Mohog. Possibly a used one but I realize Brandon changed around the input Edcor later so maybe better to buy new?
If the Infratronic wasn't on hold right now, I'd probably be torn between the two.
Old 7th March 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Checked out & think the wa76 is a very good buy for many & also if the more open top serves you well for drums or?

For me & in considering vocals, I'm now looking at the Mohog. Possibly a used one but I realize Brandon changed around the input Edcor later so maybe better to buy new?
If the Infratronic wasn't on hold right now, I'd probably be torn between the two.
they might be cool,just I don't necessarily need more hi end on most drum stuff,esp when smacking stuff using ck12 type mics[12's/251's etc].so I wouldn't normally gravitate towards a brighter version but who knows its always worth a try.
ime reg 'ol 1176 is perfect for a lot of drum tasking[rooms etc]
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
they might be cool,just I don't necessarily need more hi end on most drum stuff,esp when smacking stuff using ck12 type mics[12's/251's etc].so I wouldn't normally gravitate towards a brighter version but who knows its always worth a try.
ime reg 'ol 1176 is perfect for a lot of drum tasking[rooms etc]
Makes total sense.
Leaning towards Mohog but anyone have an impression on the hairball ?
Rev A blue to be specific.
Old 7th March 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Makes total sense.
Leaning towards Mohog but anyone have an impression on the hairball ?
Rev A blue to be specific.
the mohog is fine.
havent heard the HB rev A.
I talked to a guy in Poland the other day[Vintage Replicas] about his rev A bluestripe copy.he can do nos input tranny and Ed anderson made clones on the outputs..could be worth a try.price is good..around 1100 bucks
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
the mohog is fine.
havent heard the HB rev A.
I talked to a guy in Poland the other day[Vintage Replicas] about his rev A bluestripe copy.he can do nos input tranny and Ed anderson made clones on the outputs..could be worth a try.price is good..around 1100 bucks
Is it pro replicas? I've exchanged an email w him.
Seems solid but impressions on his work are few in the US.
+ add in shipping and we're in mohog / infra new unit territory so tough call considering proximity.
... I think Ward Pike around here speaks highly of the pro replica but that's the only user I'm aware of.

Curious if you mohog guys have a take on any sonic differences between the early edcor input trannies & later versions where Brandon changed them to a comparable but further shielded ver. based on a few users reporting hum or hiss.
Maybe not significant but?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search