The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Rob Schnapf Condenser Microphones
Old 30th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwrecordings View Post
Rob what does it mean by your credited with the tambourine backbeat?
Its to illustrate that not everything on wiki is true.....
The pope and the monkey?
Old 30th August 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post
Hmm interesting.
By cans, you mean......
Mic xfrmr, electrolytics?
Sorrry yes input transformers
The dimedio longer rounded cans mounted sideways Instead of the API shorter ones
Old 31st August 2012
Lives for gear

That certainly would explain the difference wouldnt it.
I wonder what the difference is in the input xfrmr?
Old 1st September 2012
Quote:
Its to illustrate that not everything on wiki is true.....
The pope and the monkey?
Haha point made
Old 6th September 2012
Lives for gear

Overstayer line driver is super cool.
Used today on a mix to add some growl to the bass.
Not only did it add growl it was just plain bigger.
Nice
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

I have an EMI OBA-1 4 into one mic mixer.
Its australian made.
Any one know anything about these or have any docs on these?
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have an EMI OBA-1 4 into one mic mixer.
Its australian made.
Any one know anything about these or have any docs on these?
If it's the one from Mixmasters it looks hefty!

Alot of things made from that erawere exceptionally highquality and great sounding. Lots of great transformer winding compnaies locally in Australia at the time to service the growth of industry and telecomunications post war.

I've gto a stash of Broadcast Limiters made for TV and radio that sound great and can double as fantastic mic preamps also. Amazing for smashing drums/rooms to the analogue equivalent of a square wave form!

Wiggy
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

Here are some pictures

Rob Schnapf-imageuploadedbygearslutz1348056106.693435.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Rob Schnapf-imageuploadedbygearslutz1348056191.994315.jpg  
Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear

Been taking the nail compressor for a test ride on some mixes we're doing for the next Surfer Blood record.
It has a sonic thing it does but it is just really beautiful and expensive sounding.
Very impressive.
Love the hard limit with hi pass side chain.
Makes it very tuneable.
Really nice work.
Old 26th September 2012
Jai guru deva om

The Nail is an excellent tracking compressor as well, in my opinion...it's awesome on the buss but man does it kick booty on everything else too though. Great control that's easy to dial in, I agree it has a richness to it while staying clean too.

War
Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear

Hey warren , got anymore coffee?
Old 10th October 2012
Lives for gear

hey rob,

the new Islands record sounds incredible. Do you know how the vocals were recorded and do you remember how you treated them during mixing?

cheers

alex
Old 10th October 2012
Lives for gear

Hey alex

Im not sure what mic was used as i wasnt there.
They were recorded next door to me at kingsize sound thru an 8068.
For the mix there was a distressor an 1176 and a pultec.
Tape slap plate or both.
Thats about it......
Old 10th October 2012
Lives for gear

thank so much for that super quick reply rob.
The whole record sounds absolutely fantastic!

I saw that you also mixed the new bad books record that came out yesterday, sounds brilliant as well.

cheers and thanks again
Old 11th October 2012
Lives for gear

Yes bad books = good.

Just saw them last nite at the troubadour here in L.A.
They were really really good.
I wasnt expecting that as this is a side project
But they sounded like they've played 1200 shows together.
Loose and fun and great feel.
And that was show number 4 of the tour.
See them if you can.....
Old 11th October 2012
Gear Addict

ah, glad to hear that surfer blood are coming out with some new music. i was a little bit worried after reading something about pitts being arrested or stuff.
as far as i know jp is very much into producing and engineering himself...at least he recorded and mixed the first album? it sounded fantastic in my ears..some may argue with that but it sounded totally fine to me. i'm excited to see what rob schnapf can bring to these guy's sound.
Old 12th October 2012
Lives for gear

Hey alex

So i asked dave trumfio about islands and he said they
Used either the wunder 47 or the korby 67 and maybe even sone SM7.
Thru the 8068 with some LA2A or DBX 160.
Boom
Old 18th October 2012
Lives for gear

thanks so much for the info rob, did he tell you if it was a 160 or a 160vu?

How did you treat the snare drum on the new Bad Books record? It sounds great, very meaty and saturated.

thanks again

cheers

alex
Old 18th October 2012
Lives for gear

160 VU

Snare was a combination of things.
A blend of elements, The UBK plugin and 610, C1 parallel drum compression.
Old 15th November 2012
Lives for gear

Harbeth compact 7

So it turns out one of my favorite audio stores began carrying the line (thank goodness because the Canadian distributor was a royal PITA) and I brought a set to the studio today. I had a couple of hours to listen to them.

First thing I noticed was that there isn't a big learning curve coming off of Proacs and I have much more confidence on the bottom end with the Harbeths. The biggest difference I noticed was what I believe to be a lift on the Proacs at about 10k ish and I'm pretty sure vocal levels seemed a little lower on the Harbeths and snares a bit duller - so something in the 3k region is flatter than on the Proacs.

Generally speaking though, I found myself trusting the Harbeths and they were quite relaxing to listen to. I really enjoyed them.
Old 15th November 2012
Gear Guru

If you like the Compact 7 you NEED to hear the new Monitor 30.1. Just saying. I checked them both out a little while ago and the Monitor 30.1's are quite a bit more real and dimensional.
Old 15th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
If you like the Compact 7 you NEED to hear the new Monitor 30.1. Just saying. I checked them both out a little while ago and the Monitor 30.1's are quite a bit more real and dimensional.
Don't tell me that haha! It was a tough call for me. One that can't be decided without a full mix being performed to "really know" how they push you - so I had to go with my gut.

My worry was that the tight(er) bottom of the 30.1 might push me towards "flabby" come mix time. The good news is that I need a new set of speakers for home so I'm going to A/B the two in the studio and decide which pair goes where. But I really want to complete mixes on both before saying for sure.
Old 15th November 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kats View Post
Don't tell me that haha! It was a tough call for me. One that can't be decided without a full mix being performed to "really know" how they push you - so I had to go with my gut.

My worry was that the tight(er) bottom of the 30.1 might push me towards "flabby" come mix time. The good news is that I need a new set of speakers for home so I'm going to A/B the two in the studio and decide which pair goes where. But I really want to complete mixes on both before saying for sure.
I'd be interested to hear your take on them. I felt the 30.1 was superior in every way for very little more money. To the extent where when switching to the C7's it made a bit of an 'ohhh' feeling of loss. But I didn't actually mix on either, only a sitting of playing reference mixes up them, so can't truly speak of their worth. Did feel the 30.1 gave me access to rather more useful info though.
Old 15th November 2012
Here for the gear

Rob,
I've been a fan of your work for some time. I'm sorry if this has already been asked, but I've always thought "From a Basement on the Hill" had a very distinct sound, especially the drums. Is there anything information that you could share about the mixing of the album? Thanks either way.
Old 15th November 2012
Lives for gear

So this is weird and totally contradicts my impression on the vocal levels. Usually switching between the Proacs and Auratones, the vocal level is considerably lower on the Proacs. But just testing that today I found that while the vocal level was still lower on the Harbeth, it wasn't a ?WTF? difference. Now I don't know...

Hmm I just realized something...

It could be the power amps. Normally I use a Bryston 4B on the Proacs (which IMO is not a match made in heaven no matter who's selling what) but when comparing amps with the Harbeth, I preferred a McIntosh Mc302 (SS 300W/Ch) amp over the Bryston. It seemed to me that the upper mids were smoother on the Bryston and thought a little more detail there, that the MC302 exhibited, helped the Harbeth (for me in a Mix situation - not for home). Mebbee... I dunno.

Karloff, I won't have the 30.1's until after the new year but I won't forget to post. I should add that in a store environment it's impossible to tell. At the studio (while comparing amps) I was level matching the amps and channels using signal generators and SPL meters to get it just right and have a L/R switcher on the console so I can instantly compare.

Small discrepancies in the test procedure show up big and that's just on an amp level, so comparing speakers that aren't even in the same listening position - who knows!

Also the 30.1s are less efficient and you would have to increase the gain on the amp to properly compare the two - not something to do haphazardly in a store environment. The reason I say this is because technically the difference between the two speakers shouldn't be as drastic as you heard it.

Then again, I could be wrong heh
Old 15th November 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kats View Post
So this is weird and totally contradicts my impression on the vocal levels. Usually switching between the Proacs and Auratones, the vocal level is considerably lower on the Proacs. But just testing that today I found that while the vocal level was still lower on the Harbeth, it wasn't a ?WTF? difference. Now I don't know...

Hmm I just realized something...

It could be the power amps. Normally I use a Bryston 4B on the Proacs (which IMO is not a match made in heaven no matter who's selling what) but when comparing amps with the Harbeth, I preferred a McIntosh Mc302 (SS 300W/Ch) amp over the Bryston. It seemed to me that the upper mids were smoother on the Bryston and thought a little more detail there, that the MC302 exhibited, helped the Harbeth (for me in a Mix situation - not for home). Mebbee... I dunno.

Karloff, I won't have the 30.1's until after the new year but I won't forget to post. I should add that in a store environment it's impossible to tell. At the studio (while comparing amps) I was level matching the amps and channels using signal generators and SPL meters to get it just right and have a L/R switcher on the console so I can instantly compare.

Small discrepancies in the test procedure show up big and that's just on an amp level, so comparing speakers that aren't even in the same listening position - who knows!

Also the 30.1s are less efficient and you would have to increase the gain on the amp to properly compare the two - not something to do haphazardly in a store environment. The reason I say this is because technically the difference between the two speakers shouldn't be as drastic as you heard it.

Then again, I could be wrong heh
Let's see what you reckon when you have heard the 30.1's. heh

But I am out of the speaker race anyway and plotting on who to rob as I will now need to buy a pair of PSI A21m's. Strangely magical and amazing speakers/tools (after getting your head around what they do, as you may dismiss them too quickly...). The Harbeth's seemed superb, but the PSI have a couple of weird tricks in their design, one for phase compensation, one for impulse, that make them very special indeed and my soul is lost. Like a piece of paper with the info on it. Weird and amazing. And those I did have in my room.
Old 15th November 2012
Lives for gear

They look interesting but i dont wanna go the self powered route.
Old 15th November 2012
Gear Guru

They're very tool-like. But in an organic way, if that makes any sense. And the most effortless presentation I have ever heard. because of their phase trick they can get away with sounding totally understated to the extent where at first you feel that likely they might lack detail. And then you tweak something and boy, wrong! Oh, so wrong. A beautifully understated swiss trick. Very effective tools I felt, so waiting for cash flow to recover and then must strike.

Out of interest, what would be your logic of going for passive boxes only?
Old 16th November 2012
Lives for gear

My experience has been that the self powered have the limit protection in them.
So the passive with a nice power amp will be wide open......
Old 16th November 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
My experience has been that the self powered have the limit protection in them.
So the passive with a nice power amp will be wide open......
I see. I agree, that sucks, like on O300's hitting 'the wall'. The PSI don't do that. Wide open all the way, and they go loud.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search