The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Rob Schnapf Ribbon Microphones
Old 28th July 2012
Lives for gear

Not hard to imagine that being a winning team.
Old 29th July 2012
Lives for gear

Hey bill, What guitar did you pick up?
Old 12th August 2012
Here for the gear

are the new interns still getting your scrod?

Tristan
Old 13th August 2012
Lives for gear

Chris likes the scrod.
Im more of a blackened snapper fan.
You should know that.
Old 13th August 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post
Hey bill, What guitar did you pick up?
Hey Rob! I ended up getting (sight unseen, so I was biting my nails) a small body 1969/70 Martin 000-18. It's beautiful, looks to be barely played in 40+ years and has virtually no blemishes, and NO CRACKS (very common with these guitars), and hardly any fret wear. It's aged nicely and has got a full bodied tone and is rich and balanced sounding - not boomy like the bigger dreadnaughts. It's an absolute joy for fingerpicking and delicate melodies that beam out and sparkle, but are still rich and vintage sounding. Super easy to record.

It's currently strung with lights, but I want a tad bit brighter sound (more like jim lum's 000-18 which is phenomenal), so I'll probably go one stage lighter on the strings to extra lights. Jim runs ULTRA lights, and his is a TOUCH brighter than I want. But overall, I'm absolutely STOKED!!!!!!! It records beautifully and simple EQ can get me close to Jim's tone, but with a richer bottom. I figure the right strings and I'm home! Looked for years for this guitar. heh Now all I need is a local LA luthier to lower the action a bit once I decide on which strings I want to run it with. Anyone have any suggestions for luthiers?

Oh yeah, what good's all this without some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Rob Schnapf-000-18-1.jpg   Rob Schnapf-000-18-2.jpg  
Old 13th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
A small body 1969/70 Martin 000-18. It's beautiful, looks to be barely played in 40+ years and has virtually no blemishes, and NO CRACKS (very common with these guitars), and hardly any fret wear.
Bought .. and stored. Finding an instrument or gear like this .. It's like finding treasure .. Makes me feel like a kid ..

Btw, Is it safe to ask what Scrod is? An acronym? A kind of Fish? Or would only an intern know that? Maybe I should just stop right there?
Old 13th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Now all I need is a local LA luthier to lower the action a bit once I decide on which strings I want to run it with. Anyone have any suggestions for luthiers?
There is a guy named Reuben Cox down the street from me that is great. The shop is called Old Style.
Old 13th August 2012
Lives for gear

Looks like a beauty, bill.
John wescott and reuben cox are both great.
Reuben just drove home my gibson grabber conversion.
I yanked out the awful sounding(to me) sliding pickup rig
Made a new pickguard and ran out of time.
I gave it to reuben and he cut in a lollar vintage remake t-bird pickup and
Excellent set up.
Huge improvement in tone.
The birth of the G-Bird.
Old 13th August 2012
Lives for gear

Scrod is a fish
Old 13th August 2012
Lives for gear

Experimented with using a shure vocal master column as a gtr cab.
Plugged into 35w home made amp and a gibson 330.
Very interesting and useful tone.
Old 13th August 2012
Gear Guru

Thanks for the tips guys. Rob - have fun with that "new" guitar!
Old 13th August 2012
Lives for gear

Fyi reuben does alot of acoustics.
He loves picking up old kays and harmonies and turning
Them into gems.
Old 23rd August 2012
Gear Maniac
hi, i think im going to pull the trigger with this UM17R. Sounds like a vintage-modern sounding mic.
I have a Neumann U87ai , but it has TOO MUCH lows and low-mids for my taste, and lacks clarity and high end.

Does the UM17R shines in the upper-mid range (4khz- 7khz) ? that would be great!
Old 24th August 2012
Lives for gear

It sounds good.
Nicely balanced.
Its not a modern overlt bright hypie sound.
Its not dark either.
Cant tell you if it shines in the 4-7k area nor how it compares to an 87
As my 87 isnt stock anymore.

I know i like the um17R and it doesnt piss me off from being too eSSy like alot of new mics.
Old 24th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Scrod is a fish
Ok .. Schooled .. Ah .. Pun ..
Old 29th August 2012
Lives for gear

I was just thinking, Jules should allow you to sell ads on this thread. It's kind of like your own little home here
Old 29th August 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
tom sold the demideo a few years back.
it was from wally heiders 4.
lots of great records were made on it.
graham parsons grievous angel and GP, tom wait bones howe period, the original soundtrack to hair(is that good?) on and on.
32 channels, very ergonomically pleasing with mic pres located in the front recessed into the bolster.
the down side was there were no proper booster cards, instead there were mic pre cards strapped differently so everything went thru an extra transformer.
thus the round mond of sound.
it was not the fastest console in the world.
certain kinds of music sounded really really good.
it excelled at acoustic music and simple non complex rock.
the dense rock guitar and cymbal bashing was more challenging.
it gave you the round mound sound no matter what you put in.
and i miss it........
Wow, just went back to the top for some reason and saw this Rob. I worked in a place for awhile that had an old demedio. I don't know the history of it. When they put in an APi, they literally (saying this with tears...) took saws-all and cut it up in pieces and put in in dumpsters. Guess it's in dumpster heaven with all those LA2A's that hit the dumpsters around that same period.....
Old 29th August 2012
Gear Guru

I have two mic pre's from that Demedio console.
without all the extra gain stages of the old console,punchy like old api but better top end.
Old 30th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wow, just went back to the top for some reason and saw this Rob. I worked in a place for awhile that had an old demedio. I don't know the history of it. When they put in an APi, they literally (saying this with tears...) took saws-all and cut it up in pieces and put in in dumpsters. Guess it's in dumpster heaven with all those LA2A's that hit the dumpsters around that same period.....
Oh man i remember going to garage sales and storage locker sales in late 80's and there was all sorts of stuff
(1176's altecs, quad eights, electrodyne langevin etc) for sale.
It was a weird transistional time.
I was mad when 1176's broke $500 barrier.
Old 30th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
I have two mic pre's from that Demedio console.
without all the extra gain stages of the old console,punchy like old api but better top end.
I wanted a pair of those so bad but i couldnt spend the money as i was in the thick of
MCI mod hellation.
I really loved that studio IV console....
Old 30th August 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
I wanted a pair of those so bad but i couldnt spend the money as i was in the thick of
MCI mod hellation.
I really loved that studio IV console....
its kind of hard to describe but for some reason they're just "right " for electric guitars
Old 30th August 2012
Here for the gear

Rob Schnapf is an American record producer and musician. He was the co-producer (along with Tom Rothrock) of Elliott Smith's albums Either/Or, XO (on which he also played guitar on the song "Baby Britain"), Figure 8 and From a Basement on the Hill, for which he was recruited by Smith's family to complete after Smith's death.

Schnapf, along with Rothrock and partner Bradshaw Lambert, started Bong Load Custom Records in the early 90s which is notable for releasing Beck's "Loser" single. Schnapf first heard Beck as he was playing on the street during the annual Sunset Junction Fair. A week later Rothrock saw Beck jump onstage to play in between bands during a show at Jabberjaw and approached him afterwards about recording his songs. Together Rothrock, Schnapf, Beck and Karl Stephenson recorded the bulk of what would become "Loser", and subsequently Mellow Gold, Beck's first major label album. Rothrock and Schnapf would continue to record with Beck working on material for what was intended to be his follow-up to Mellow Gold, a somber acoustic affair meant to silence detractors that claimed he was a one hit wonder joke act. Beck eventually had a change of heart and went on to record Odelay with The Dust Brothers only using one song from the Rothrock/Schnapf sessions, "Ramshackle", as the album closer.

Rob and Tom produced the 1993 DOG SOCIETY album entitled "Test Your Own Eyes". Schnapf later produced Guided By Voices' second of two TVT Records releases; Isolation Drills in 2001 and The Vines debut album "Highly Evolved" in 2002. In 2003, he produced Saves The Day's album, "In Reverie". Also, in 2005, he produced Nine Black Alps' debut album "Everything Is".

Schnapf as also worked in conjunction with Australian band Powderfinger in the production of their sixth studio album Dream Days at the Hotel Existence.

Schnapf produced Brooklyn based artist Kevin Devine's major label debut Put Your Ghost to Rest. Following the success of the partnership Schnapf was also recruited to produce Devine's Another Bag of Bones a single released prior to Devine's follow up album.

This was followed by work with the The Whigs on their debut Mission control for ATO Records.

Schnapf worked with Australian rock band Kisschasy on their third studio album, Seizures and Wild Light's debut for Startime International Records.

Schnapf then worked with Booker T. Jones on his grammy winning Potato Hole album featuring the Drive By Truckers and Neil Young. He also worked with Dr. Dog and Toadies 2010 release of Feeler.

Schnapf produced Canadian indie-rock band Tokyo Police Club's 2010 sophomore album "Champ".

Schnapf is also credited with the creation of the tambourine back beat.

He is currently in development of a 1 hour crime drama called the Pope and The Monkey
Old 30th August 2012
Lives for gear

Different then 312's?
Old 30th August 2012
Rob what does it mean by your credited with the tambourine backbeat?
Old 30th August 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Different then 312's?
Yeah
The dimedio cans in there do something to the high end
Comparing to old 312's to my ears ( for lack of a better description) the Upper mid/highs are a little less compressed squeezed on the heider modules.
Old 30th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Though in today's dollars it's about $1,000.

Still a deal, also considering they were much younger (better shape) back then.
Old 30th August 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
You must be REALLY pissed off now then Rob......
Old 30th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
Yeah
The dimedio cans in there do something to the high end
Comparing to old 312's to my ears ( for lack of a better description) the Upper mid/highs are a little less compressed squeezed on the heider modules.
Hmm interesting.
By cans, you mean......
Mic xfrmr, electrolytics?
Old 30th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
You must be REALLY pissed off now then Rob......
And 3A's were $350.......

I got over it.

Luckily i got them then.
Old 30th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kats View Post
I was just thinking, Jules should allow you to sell ads on this thread. It's kind of like your own little home here
I'll gladly cut jules in on a piece of the action....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search