The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Rob Schnapf Condenser Microphones
Old 11th May 2012
Lives for gear

Is michael still banned from the exalted gearslutz forum?
Old 11th May 2012
Lives for gear

I think Michael may have conducted a sit-in with Bobby Sands .. Pretty sure he's on hiatus from this little Clubhouse.
Old 11th May 2012
Gear Guru

I think they banned his IP after he snuck back in once and they caught him.

The good news is, he's getting a lot more mics made.
Old 11th May 2012
Lives for gear

Ha thats funny.
Old 11th May 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
The good news is, he's getting a lot more mics made.
Hilarious! Also, predictable... I've scaled back my time here as well (along with a few other distractive habits) and am enjoying not only the freed up time but the freed up mental space. These screens do things to our brains!

I can't remember which, but Michael had a mic trio shootout you guys did with a 47, and I preferred one of his modded jobs to the 47... not bad for ~$800. I need to order one of those, I'm still hunting for the right vocal mic for myself.

Current fave is a studer-branded schoeps from the 70's. Very focused, great clarity but not clinical in the least. Just wish it had a touch more vibe, cant quite put my finger on it.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 11th May 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
Hilarious! Also, predictable... I've scaled back my time here as well (along with a few other distractive habits) and am enjoying not only the freed up time but the freed up mental space. These screens do things to our brains!

I can't remember which, but Michael had a mic trio shootout you guys did with a 47, and I preferred one of his modded jobs to the 47... not bad for ~$800. I need to order one of those, I'm still hunting for the right vocal mic for myself.

Current fave is a studer-branded schoeps from the 70's. Very focused, great clarity but not clinical in the least. Just wish it had a touch more vibe, cant quite put my finger on it.

Gregory Scott - ubk

hey Greg - that was a shootout I did a Capito..., um, I mean, you know where. It was a 48 though not that it really matters, and also a U67 up against the MJ 1050. I've got one sitting here unused while I mix and write like crazy - not much in the way of vox going on here for the last 6 months or so. You're welcome to check it out. Here or at your own place. And it's less than $800 - about $650 all in for me and I bought a brand new 1050. I think that a NOS GE 5 star added to the price. Those vintage babies are getting more expensive as we sit here typing...
Old 11th May 2012
Gear Guru

The one that sticks in my mind is perversely the thread where he put his MKH47 capsule (is that its name?) and an old Neumann K47 into two cheap Nady FET mics to demonstrate the quality of his capsule.

I say perversely, because I remember how it struck me. They both seemed to sound good from the files, but the old K47 turned the dirt cheap Nady800 into a SERIOUS vibe/tone mic, whereas Michael's version sounded 'good' in a modern but not particularly adoreable manner. Seemed to confirm how much is in the capsule itself as long as it plays happy with the amp. That thing sounded smokey in a great way! Thread must still be around somewhere....
Old 11th May 2012
Lives for gear

You know speaking of smokey in a good way, I think Michael's modded 1050 (w 5 star GE) had a nice richness and low end body that I miss.
Somewhat regrettably sold it when I knew there was a Blackspade UM17R coming (which has a nice mid & nice top end, somewhat sparkly in a good way), but still that 1050 was very usable.

As you may remember Rob, I got the M3 for my MJ modded 012. That capsule & the omni capsule see the most use.
Old 12th May 2012
Here for the gear

testing testing. Just checking.
Old 12th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet.d View Post
Somewhat regrettably sold it when I knew there was a Blackspade UM17R coming. .
How do you like the blackspade?
Old 12th May 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post
That's what I was wondering too. Love to hear some more thoughts as compared to your MJ1050 (which I have), but I'm interested in the Blackspades as well.....
Old 13th May 2012
Gear Maniac

The fact that Rob was the 1,000th post in his own thread is a testament to what an awesome and talented guy he is.
Old 13th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'd say it has more life & clarity in the upper mids & certainly the top end (compared to that 1050 Bill).
In a quality way.

For me, it was very great tracking electric guitars to tape. Also FOK with stereo ribbons on the kit was damn nice.
Vocals to tape - solid.
Vocals to DAW via Burl B2 - also great though in this case I tend to subtract a bit around 6k going in or later. Obviously very source dependent.

It's out there that Hudson / Plush & Mike had it comparing very well to a Flea 49. It is more 49 than 47 admittedly via Oliver.

I'm happy w it clearly but, full disclosure....
A bit of bad luck as mine developed a intermittent issue after a few weeks. (haven't heard of anyone else having any issues)
It's in Oliver's hands at this time and I'm anxiously awaiting it to finish up vocals started w it.
I wish it was back by now though I realize delays happen. Hoping for communication soon on what the issue was.
Old 13th May 2012
Lives for gear

So by clarity do you mean there is a bump up there in the upper mids?
Does it get essy?
Old 15th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
So by clarity do you mean there is a bump up there in the upper mids?
Does it get essy?
I think it's fair to say there's a focus in that register. Sibilance could be a issue depending on the vocal but... not in a cheap LDC kinda way. There's some quality in that capsule & the design.

I tend to not like essy myself and w/ vocals often cut some 6k area stuff here and there but, the sparkle of the 17R can be sweet w/ the right voice/source in the right room. I can see why it might work really well w/ the right female voice.
(...I think Ms. Barbara Streisand did quite a bit of serious emoting via an M49. But then, didn't Tom Waits make it work for him as well!!?? ...not sure about that though) Point being, it ofcourse depends on who does what w/ a m49 style.

Also, as others have mentioned, it has quite a bit of output.
Looking forward to getting it back. I was really just starting to dig into it a bit.
Old 15th May 2012
totally agree on UBK-1 & the importance of the headroom, (both directions.) There's looped drum tracks on some demos I did that I assumed I was gonna have to recut/recreate ... until I sic'ed that plug-in on 'em!
Old 15th May 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet.d View Post
I think it's fair to say there's a focus in that register. Sibilance could be a issue depending on the vocal but...
I would not have described any M49's that I've worked with by calling them "upper mid focused". Of course, this is all dancing around words, but rather than comparing a 17R to a Flea49 and calling it a M49, I'd love to see one up against a good 49/pair. Maybe something is lost in the interim translation of comparing one clone to another clone to the real thing. Capitol has some nice specimens, and I love the pair they have at Conway..... Just thinking out loud.....

I was seriously interested, but I guess I'll have to wait on these until I have the chance to throw em up against the real deal. Thanks for the info chet!! Much appreciated.

bp
Old 15th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I would not have described any M49's that I've worked with by calling them "upper mid focused". Of course, this is all dancing around words, but rather than comparing a 17R to a Flea49 and calling it a M49, I'd love to see one up against a good 49/pair.
bp
Yeah that's the thing w words. I wrestle with descriptions when it's really a palpable feeling you experience with a quality tool that's so governed by the cumulative elements.
Tough to separate.
Ie; my 17R>SH gama>API comp>burl b2 in + room & source Compared to the 17R signature of another's quality chain...
Dancing about architecture and all that.

I don't want to emphasize the upper mid focus too much. I mostly hear a sparkle in the very top though IME, it's not harsh.

I only had a few weeks w it b4 sending it in. It seems a connection to capsule became loose via shipping.
It's burning in w Oliver right now. Hope to have it by end of the week or so.

It would be cool to hear your thoughts if you check one out, especially If you ever get it and a M49 in the same room. That'd be interesting.
Old 15th May 2012
Lives for gear

Its funny how the tool for job is more important than the tool itself.
I find myself never using 49's with rock bands.
And rarely a 47,
Still put them up and listen to them in a track on the vocal
But it is rare that we end up rolling that way.
And not because they sound bad just the wrong kinda voicing or something
In the malestrom of gtr.
Old 15th May 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
In the malestrom of gtr.

I know what you mean Rob. I'm generally more of a FET guy than a tube guy when it comes to mics, but the ONE mic I'd really like....well, OK, there's 2 but that's a different story.....is a great M49. Better make that a pair. They bring an "air" into the picture that I really like. BUT, like you say, in the malestron of guitars...... Not much room for it.

PS - chet - look forward to more of your thoughts after you get that bad boy back and working again.
Old 15th May 2012
Lives for gear

I have been using the UM17R for the past several months on everything I can. It has excelled in every aspect. This mic has a wonderful low mid that is very well suited for El Gtr and FOK drum duties. The mid range is as smooth as glass without the harshness that can sometimes be an issue especially with El Gtrs. Vocals are very focused and have never gotten sibilant on me...I haven't used it on too many vocalists yet but the few I have loved the sound have asked for it again.
This mic is very LOUD, you can afford to back off your sound source quite a bit as the sound stays very focused.
This mic is a game changer.
Old 15th May 2012
Lives for gear

I'd generally tend to think fet over tube for vocal in a more rockin track.
More often than not the tube mic will win for a vocal w/ more space in the track to breath.

So damn true about the tool for job and not so much the tool!
Old 16th May 2012
Lives for gear

Cant wait to try one.
Anybody try the 250 model?
Sure looks nice.....
Old 17th May 2012
Lives for gear

Im gonna demo the UM17R.
Very excited.
Old 17th May 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Im gonna demo the UM17R.
Very excited.
Excellent Rob!!! Make sure to post your thoughts.
Old 17th May 2012
Lives for gear

I have been using the UM25 extensively over the past several months. I have not done a direct comparison with an E LAM 250 but the UM25 has a very smooth midrange and top end as you would expect from the pedigree it has. It is very clear and detailed in the low mids as you would expect from a 250.
This mic is very quiet...like so damn quiet you won't realize it is working until sound passes through it. I can't tell you how many times I have asked someone to go check the mic only to have my face blown off, at the same time this mic is LOUD!!!! Meaning that very little gain is required from the mic pre. I have been using a pair for drum overheads and you need to be a bit further off the kit than normal as it's output can get very hot on fast transients. This mic is very detailed at far distances and does not smear.
I urge you to try it yourself though...typing words here can only go so far.
Old 17th May 2012
Lives for gear

Unfortunatley the 25 is a little out of my price range right now....
Old 17th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Excellent Rob!!! Make sure to post your thoughts.
Yeah, what Bill said.

Should get mine back in a couple days.
Old 22nd May 2012
Lives for gear

Interesting
When you recap a 40+ yr old piece gear, it sounds really good again.
Mst be a testament to the quality of old caps because they certainly never out and out failed.
Its such a gradual process that one day you just have admit, it isnt the same and you are using it based on a memory of what its supposed to sound like.

Good to have you back lang and pultec
Old 22nd May 2012
Gear Guru

Tom Herzer rebuilt an dusty noisy crackly old 111b orban spring I had had lying around since 82.
sounds like it did new but better..surprising how cool that thing sounds now..noise floor is waay better.
now onto the bx20 i got over the weekend...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search