The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Rob Schnapf Condenser Microphones
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Chi dynasty in los feliz
Yang chow in china town
Palace in los feliz
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Addict

Rob,

My hat goes off to you. I'm enjoying a cup of coffee while listening to A.A. Bondy's new "Believers" album this morning. Great job! I've enjoyed all of his records but it sounds like you helped him take a nice step forward from a production standpoint.
I've done a few sessions with him over the past few years and have really become a big fan. Love his writing style and the dark moods he brings out in his records.

Care to share a little bit about the recording process with us?

Thanks so much.

-Stephen Shirk
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post
Chi dynasty in los feliz

Palace in los feliz
So putting aside the stolen recipes drama between these 2 places, is the Palace better/worse?
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Ive only done carry out from palace unknowingly and its good.
My loyalties remain with chi.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

This post has taken a strange twist. Funny how one of the first things we stress over when moving to a new place is finding good Chinese food. I spent 7 months in Portland Maine and there is NO good chinese food there. Glad to be back in NY now.

Rob, do you ever record acoustic guitar & vocals simultaneously? If so, what is your technique to gain a balanced control between the 2 sources?
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Id say it depends on the artist and application.
If the artist has a real good natural balance and it seems applicable sometimes the one mic can be the right vibe.
When it neither of those factors exist, two mic time.
It can be painstaking getting the two mics to play in the audio phase sandbox together.
But its something that just has to be done.
Then you will have a certain amt of control over balance and tone.
But it still can be a bit touchy with bleed and phase depending on what yer doing compression and eq wise.
So hows that for stating the obviose?.....
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Yeah ive been a fan for awhile too.
Glad you like the record.
Well the process was more like curating than anything.
Obviously there was the tech side to this but basically it was recorded live.
Vocals and all.
Or id say a good 85-90 percent of the vocals are live.
Recorded in a small room and bleed was our friend.
For example
We used a vocal PA as bondy didnt wanna use headphones.
So there was two vocal mics up, one for recording and one for the PA.
The drums would bleed into the vocal mic, get reverb from the
PA and out into the room. The room mics would then pick it up the bleed and it became part of the sound.
It definitely added to the mood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHIRK View Post
Rob,

My hat goes off to you. I'm enjoying a cup of coffee while listening to A.A. Bondy's new "Believers" album this morning. Great job! I've enjoyed all of his records but it sounds like you helped him take a nice step forward from a production standpoint.
I've done a few sessions with him over the past few years and have really become a big fan. Love his writing style and the dark moods he brings out in his records.

Care to share a little bit about the recording process with us?

Thanks so much.

-Stephen Shirk
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Yeah ive been a fan for awhile too.
Glad you like the record.
Well the process was more like curating than anything.
Obviously there was the tech side to this but basically it was recorded live.
Vocals and all.
Or id say a good 85-90 percent of the vocals are live.
Recorded in a small room and bleed was our friend.
For example
We used a vocal PA as bondy didnt wanna use headphones.
So there was two vocal mics up, one for recording and one for the PA.
The drums would bleed into the vocal mic, get reverb from the
PA and out into the room. The room mics would then pick it up the bleed and it became part of the sound.
It definitely added to the mood.
Rob,
Thanks for the response. I'm curious about your two mic approach. What vocal mics did you use? I'd have to assume something with a tight pattern so that the drums (cymbals especially) didn't fight the vocals in the upper-mids. OR maybe it's all about proper placement for you? So in your setup, designating one mic for recording and one mic for monitoring, you were able to get a cleaner recorded signal?

I avoid using headphones for most of my sessions, but using vocal wedges really limits my vocal mic options. Even an SM7 has too wide of a pickup pattern. I get that honky low-mid feedback thing happening. Not ringing...but enough to screw the sound up. Condensers...forget about it. For me they are hardly usable for vocals in this type of setup (full band in one room). Like you, I'm cool with some bleed....adds to the vibe. Thinking of trying your two mic approach next time if it helps solve this problem. I've had to rely on beta58's for vocals on my "no headphones" sessions because of their tight pattern and good feedback rejection. They def. leave something to be desired though.

Thanks!
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Just another big thumbs up for Believers. Just finished a first listen and it's gorgeous.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHIRK View Post
Rob,
Thanks for the response. I'm curious about your two mic approach. What vocal mics did you use?

Thanks!
Me too - quite curious! I usually record live off the floor with wedges but don't track the vocal often. Sometimes when I *do* do it I run the live vocal to tape and then take a send off the board and run it to the wedge in the live room.
Old 15th September 2011
Here for the gear

A sm58 went to the PA and a beyer mc 834 came into us and went through the vocal chain. Later on we switched to a lomo 19a-9 for a couple songs. I think skull & bones and the twist would be the lomo. Other than the bass everything ended up in the vocal mic we recorded as well as the 58 going to the pa which then added to the room sound.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

yeah and the PA wasnt wedges around scott(Bondy) singing.
it was more like he was set up facing out of the corner looking at the drummer and the pa was along the wall to the right of him.
it wasnt super loud , just loud enough to be effective for him to sing.
and it wasnt really something you even heard in the room so much.
but it it all added up nicely.
luckily ben the drummer had a nice touch for the small room.
if he played to hard and started bashing the cymbals, the whole room thing wouldnt have worked.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Id say it depends on the artist and application.
If the artist has a real good natural balance and it seems applicable sometimes the one mic can be the right vibe.
When it neither of those factors exist, two mic time.
It can be painstaking getting the two mics to play in the audio phase sandbox together.
But its something that just has to be done.
Then you will have a certain amt of control over balance and tone.
But it still can be a bit touchy with bleed and phase depending on what yer doing compression and eq wise.

So hows that for stating the obviose?.....
Hey Rob!

Curious, when necessity indicates a 2 mic approach for vocal/acgtr - say singer/songwriter types - do you go with Fig 8 on both and try to point the nulls at gtr/vocal to get as much separation as possible? Or ???

Unfortunately (for me at least) the artists who seem to really need to record both simultaneously (and I'm cool with that....but...) are the ones who are seasoned live performers, with not as much studio technique, and I find them moving a bit too much to use the Fig8 null technique effectively. Sometimes getting fantastic seperation, only to move a bit and then getting a ton of bleed. Almost anti-productive for using Fig8. Sometimes I think forget the fancy stuff and just use Card in close and hope for the best. Any pointers?

Thx.

Bill
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Hey bill
You know i think in general
Ive had the most succsess with cardioid.
But i will try anything to make it happen.
Ive never found one golden answer that works every time.
I wish.....
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

hey rob. If you ever get a chance to check out the UTA eq (Eric Valentine's company)... it's completely, bat-**** awesome. Most flexible & musical eq I've ever used. It's a bit of a trip getting the brain around it, but WORTH it.

Really brilliant design...
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Have you worked on that console or is the eq available now?
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Have you worked on that console or is the eq available now?
demo'ed console. freaking awesome. As soon as the standalone eq is available, I'm getting as many as I can.
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Did you go to mr valentines to try it out?
I saw it at AES last year and it looked awesome.
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

PMed you Rob.
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Maniac
Another thumbs up for Chi Dynasty, not exactly the healthiest, but tasty!

sh
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

I always found chi pretty healthy chinese.
Fresh and clean.
Old 20th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Hey bill
You know i think in general
Ive had the most succsess with cardioid.
But i will try anything to make it happen.
Ive never found one golden answer that works every time.
I wish.....
Thanks Rob! Yeah, Fig 8 works great in theory. Much more difficult to make happen in the real world with humans.
Old 15th October 2011
Lives for gear

Pensado

Hey Rob.
Have you heard of this show called Pensado's Place? They usually only feature big hip hop and pop guys but I think you would be great on it. It is a cool show for us that are young and barely learning.
Old 15th October 2011
bee
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermanV View Post
Hey Rob.
Have you heard of this show called Pensado's Place? They usually only feature big hip hop and pop guys but I think you would be great on it. It is a cool show for us that are young and barely learning.
That would be AWESOME! You should do it Rob!
Old 15th October 2011
Lives for gear

These 30 pages arent enough?
Old 17th October 2011
Lives for gear

haha

there is years worth of knowledge in this thread. I used to listen to "either/or" on vinyl while reading this thread and being like "ohh so that's how they did that"
Old 18th October 2011
Lives for gear

Hi Rob,

RE: Harbeth Compact 7s

Out of curiosity I've arranged a demo of a pair of these, but I'm curious how you mount them. Right now I have my Proacs on speaker stands and due to the height of the SSL meter bridge it's getting close to sketchy where the height of the bass driver is about ear level. On the Harbeth site they recommend setting them for the tweeter to be ear level, but since these are taller cabs then the Proacs I'm afraid I might be lined up with the bass port heh

Was that an issue for you?
Old 18th October 2011
I am also looking at the harbeths on your recommendation have you tried the new compacts they make? Would it be better to seek out the originals?
Old 19th October 2011
Lives for gear

Was not an issue for me.
The tweeters are not at ear level but its not a problem.......
For me

Quote:
Originally Posted by kats View Post
Hi Rob,

RE: Harbeth Compact 7s

Out of curiosity I've arranged a demo of a pair of these, but I'm curious how you mount them. Right now I have my Proacs on speaker stands and due to the height of the SSL meter bridge it's getting close to sketchy where the height of the bass driver is about ear level. On the Harbeth site they recommend setting them for the tweeter to be ear level, but since these are taller cabs then the Proacs I'm afraid I might be lined up with the bass port heh

Was that an issue for you?
Old 19th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwrecordings View Post
I am also looking at the harbeths on your recommendation have you tried the new compacts they make? Would it be better to seek out the originals?
I only know the Compact 7ES.
In the world of the subjective and the arbitrary
These make sense to me.
But me liking them isnt a recommendation......

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search