The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Rob Schnapf Ribbon Microphones
Old 22nd February 2011
Gear Guru

yeah Johns BB and maple gretsches.
lotta those Tama Bb's had the long brushed brass lugs then chrome long's ,the single chromes.I have the solid ones on mine.rockinn drum
had the newer BB but didn't sound the same..kinda choked.
Old 22nd February 2011
Gear Guru

if you ever find a BB snare for sale..don't tell Garfield about..he'll buy it right out from under your nose.
Old 22nd February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
had the newer BB but didn't sound the same..kinda choked.
I have a pork pie BB and haven't used it since I basically bought it (7 years ago?). I felt it choked too. Then I realized it might be the head choice, used coated ambassadors and I think a thicker head like an emperor would be wiser. I think the ambassador's were too thin to get the thick heavy shell moving....
Old 22nd February 2011
Lives for gear

I think Ross retired the terminator.
He has other bell brass but that specific one is not in circulation.
Thats what I heard anyway......

Last edited by rob S; 22nd February 2011 at 02:11 AM.. Reason: iPad has a mind of it's own
Old 22nd February 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post
he told me people kept trying to rent it and 'dissappear" it. ha
he finally said fvck it and took it out of rental inventory.really good drum.
Old 22nd February 2011
Gear Guru

ross made me a really cool raw metal shell terminator type drum a few years ago..good.very heavy & LOUD
Old 23rd February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, I heard this from Ross last time he teched for us. We rented "T2" and it was indeed a special drum. Since then, a Sonor BB clone has been getting a lot of use here. It's close to the magical Tamas...
Old 25th February 2011
Lives for gear

Yeah I like T2 as well. John o at angel city has some sweet BB too.
Old 25th February 2011
Gear Head

hey rob man, i just got an 8 track a few months ago. and i'm very new to multitrack recording (trying to get the hang of it with the amaterish equipment/free audio editing software i have at my disposal). it is pretty weak cus i am broke and not much of a perfectionist. i recorded one track for instance with unsynced drums, off pitch singing and possibly an out of tune guitar. i don't mind the way it sounds though. i think it was a step in the right direction with what i'm working with.

now i hate to do this cus i feel like it's a waste of your time. but if you wouldn't mind could you listen to it and tell me where and how i could improve it, and give me some sort of reading material so i could understand things like equalization and other recording techniques? i could possibly learn things from the board as well.

thanks.

oh yeah, almost forgot the link: jupiter (the storm) | happyface(sad)
Old 25th February 2011
Lives for gear

trippy dude
Old 26th February 2011
Here for the gear

Hey Rob,

Sorry if someone's already asked this:

How did you get the guitar sound in 'Ride' by The Vines. In particular, the guitars during the verses?

They sound really distinct and have a cool 'tinny' (for the lack of a better word) sound to them.

The delay sound at the end of the solo is wicked too!

Also, how many mics do you use on a kit? Do you have any general rules or just go with whatever your feeling in the moment?

Cheers,
Sammy
Old 27th February 2011
Lives for gear

I'm sure it has been asked but I have no problem answering as this thread is painfully long.
Ride is a particularly good sounding jazz master iinto an AC30.
That's it no tricks. A 57 into an API and some LA3A.
Delay is brought to you by my trusty old echoplex that i bought in 1983?

Standard drum set up would be

Snare top and bottom(57's)
Kick in and out(D112 soundelux195)
Rack
Floor( these could be 421's 414's 67's can't exactly remember what we did on this record)
L overhead
R overhead( schoeps )
Hi hat
A 47 or mkl 101 as a general drum perspective mic just above the rim of the kick drum.
And a mix of room mics,
Usually some combination of Coles a stereo royer and 67's.
I think that's the general overview and altar add subtract as the muse dictates.
Old 12th March 2011
Lives for gear

beyer 834's on toms and vocals working quite well.

gtr chain, gemini G12-royer 121-API512-ant 696- LA3A

bass, B15-SM7-pultec-LA3A-CL1B
Old 2nd April 2011
Here for the gear

Hey rob i have been a fan of your work for a looong time. awesome stuff

Curious about the guitar tones on Saves the day - stay what you are record

do you remember what you did as far as mic/pre/amps ?

I love those sounds.
Old 6th April 2011
Gear Head

hey rob,

after discovering this thread i read an article where it talked about elliott smith towards the end of his life and recording basement. i guess you eventually finished the album. the thing that i read though was that he was originally going for a more raw sounding album. the article said that the version that we got to hear was a "cleaned up" version. is there any truth to this? and why was that decision made as well as the omitted songs?

edit: although, i really do like that album. it's my second favorite after either/or. but pretty much tied with all the other albums he's ever made.
Old 7th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewbeerguitars View Post
Hey rob i have been a fan of your work for a looong time. awesome stuff

Curious about the guitar tones on Saves the day - stay what you are record

do you remember what you did as far as mic/pre/amps ?

I love those sounds.
Mic pre was supplied the sunset sound factory API in studio B.
Mics would have been a 57 and a 67.
Vox AC 50, Marshall JMP super leads, orange 80w, Dr.Z KT45 and beyond that I can't remember anymore..
Old 7th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by iare1031 View Post
hey rob,

after discovering this thread i read an article where it talked about elliott smith towards the end of his life and recording basement. i guess you eventually finished the album. the thing that i read though was that he was originally going for a more raw sounding album. the article said that the version that we got to hear was a "cleaned up" version. is there any truth to this? and why was that decision made as well as the omitted songs?

Don't believe everything you read.
Old 7th April 2011
Rob Schnapf

When you use a 67 and 57 on guitar amps how do you usually go about setting them up.
Old 7th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwrecordings View Post
When you use a 67 and 57 on guitar amps how do you usually go about setting them up.
Find the best sounding speaker in the cab and mic it up.
I always start with it where the dome meets the cone.
So there are your two mics. Listen to them cause maybe the 57 is giving you all you need otherwise check phase and blend to taste.
Old 7th April 2011
Rob Schnapf

Thanks for answering! Do you line up both the 57 and 67 to where the dome meets the cone?

Like one mic on either side of the dome? Or the 57 there and the 67?
Old 8th April 2011
hey rob, how's the console working out?

i seem to remember it had a couple of different flavours on separate busses.

cheers, jeremy
Old 9th April 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Don't believe everything you read.

yeah i know. hey i have a question about recording. when i record now. since i'm doing more multitrack stuff. at first i recorded at the level i wanted to hear it on the final mix. then i decided to go the route where i recording everything as loud as possible without it being all distorted sounding. i think it sounds clearer when i finally mix down and change all the levels. is that a good method in your opinion?
Old 9th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by iare1031 View Post
then i decided to go the route where i recording everything as loud as possible without it being all distorted sounding. i think it sounds clearer when i finally mix down and change all the levels. is that a good method in your opinion?
That 'is' the method.
Old 9th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyglover View Post
hey rob, how's the console working out?

i seem to remember it had a couple of different flavours on separate busses.

cheers, jeremy
Hey Jeremy.
The console is pretty cool.
The bottom end is really outstanding.
Extended natural open airy low end.
It's not puffy or fake, it just let's it pass.
Yeah, it has different mic and line xfmrs in various spots.
Some neve, some API, some LunDahl, some UTC and of course lots of MCI (which sound real good too)
Then it has the two stereo busses which can bE run serially or parallel with one another.
I have been using it by running the mix to both the hifi(990/Jensen) and the neve busses and then rather run that parallel with one another, use the serial mode and take the hi fi and driving it into the neve busses
Seems like there is a magic point where the neve transformers saturate and the bottom gets sick and the mix glues together with out needing stereo
compression.
Very interesting.
Old 9th April 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Seems like there is a magic point where the neve transformers saturate and the bottom gets sick and the mix glues together with out needing stereo
compression.
Very interesting.
Hey Rob! I've been doing something similar. Coming out of PT around -4 to 0dBfs, then into some CAPI 528's (HP/LP & attenuation with 2 API style transformers and DOA's) doing a little attenuation to match gain and drive the Neve transformers in my Eisen LilPEQr's (Marinairs from an old 80 series Neve) the way I like, maybe a touch of HF shaping with the LilPEQr's and then back into PT. The result sounds killer. It's like getting 4-5dB of compression without compressing, the bottom tightens, transients round off in a semi-tape like way, opens a touch on top with a touch of the "air" band in the EQ''s and it sounds like.......$$$ money. Analog money. heh heh

Still experimenting for the best "sweet" spot.

Cheers,

bp
Old 10th April 2011
Lives for gear

Compression without compression.......
Old 10th April 2011
Lives for gear

Rob,

any chance of some pics of your 428?

Sounds completely bitching!

I'd like to get another one at some point and do a number on it.

Happened to be riding around Londo on my bike today and a few tunes from 'figure 8' popped onto my playlist as i was peddling about.

Still think you fully nailed the mix for L.A. thumbsupthumbsup

Wiggy
Old 11th April 2011
Lives for gear

Don't have any sexy pictures yet.
I took some but they just look like electronics.
Nothing interesting.
I think it has to be taken apart some so one can see the frame work and power distro To get the idea.
Maybe next time when there is a break in the action I'll take the stereo buss modules.
Those are definitely sexy.
Old 12th April 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post
That 'is' the method.
ok man, thanks! i wasn't sure why i asked since i think it sounds good to me. i guess i was just curious to know how other people did it.
Old 20th April 2011
Gear Head

hey rob, i'm thinking about buying an electric...i never had one. i really like the guitar on strung out again..do you know what kind of guitar elliott used on that song. it sounds like a very versatile guitar whatever it is. and that's exactly what i'm looking for. i like playing around with different styles etc. if you don't know do you have any suggestions for what i'm looking for?

sorry, electric guitars are just a different world to me. i do my best with an acoustic for now.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search