The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Rob Schnapf Ribbon Microphones
Old 1st November 2008
  #361
Gear Nut
 

beyer m160

hey rob,

Hope you've been well.
Looking at getting a ribbon to complement my sm7 and unidyne sm57 for recording my VT40 and B15N for guitar tracking.
Do you think the beyer m160 would work well with both of these amps? or if not any recomendations?

I picked up the '63 b15n while the AUS dollar was good a few months back.. wow.. what a great sounding amp. love it on guitar through my vt40 cab as much as i do for bass..

Also found someone in sydney who has a rack of 1073 neves for hire for when we do our drums in a "studio" and overdubs at my house.. happy happy, days. they are a very rare pre "down under"..

Is the MCI up and running yet?
cheers,
chris
Old 1st November 2008
  #362
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
I'm not Rob but the royer 122V tube ribbon is pretty bitchen for gtrs.
not cheap though
Old 2nd November 2008
  #363
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
i never tried the tube royer.
the 160 is the only ribbon that i've been able to use on a loud amp
that didnt crap out.
Old 2nd November 2008
  #364
Gear Maniac
 
allyouneedisears's Avatar
 

Hey Rob, just wanted to say you did a amazing job with XO. Thanks
Old 3rd November 2008
  #365
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post
i never tried the tube royer.
the 160 is the only ribbon that i've been able to use on a loud amp
that didnt crap out.
cool.
Old 3rd November 2008
  #366
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
see pictures of royers in front of 4x12 cabs all the time but when we do it they cant handle the SPL.
with different 122's always the same result.
am i missing something?
Old 3rd November 2008
  #367
Lives for gear
 
Fleaman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post
see pictures of royers in front of 4x12 cabs all the time but when we do it they cant handle the SPL.
with different 122's always the same result.
am i missing something?
I always do them at about a 45* angle and not right up on the speaker (little breathing room).

Checked out Mant last night.....I like it! Little jealous. There's a property on verdugo a stones throw away that I kinda looked at......but damn, too many studios on the same block
Old 3rd November 2008
  #368
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
ahh, i was wonderng why there were some many empties in the garbage this morning.
you should have let me know i would've come by and maybe convinced you to lend me your 660......
Old 3rd November 2008
  #369
Lives for gear
 
Fleaman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post
you should have let me know i would've come by and maybe convinced you to lend me your 660......
Don't worry....it Will happen
Old 14th November 2008
  #370
Here for the gear
 

hi rob,

im a big fan of everything youve done. i was just wondering how you recorded the drums on 'everything is' that album in general is ace by the way

cheers james
Old 15th November 2008
  #371
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
didnt really do anything special t record the drums.
studio 3 at sunset sound.
the usual suspects mic wise
compression and eq to taste.
Old 15th November 2008
  #372
Lives for gear
 
thearnicasync's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post
didnt really do anything special t record the drums.
studio 3 at sunset sound.
the usual suspects mic wise
compression and eq to taste.
hiya rob,

i don't remember if it was a tape op thing, or via larry or elliot themselves, or whatever, but i remember some observation that you and tom recorded a drum kit with VERY few mics. this was arround grammy time or something. i don't remember. i'm old.

if you're doing an extremely simple drum/mic thing, is it 3? Like a front of kit, snare and overhead? just curious. a buddy and i seem to challenge each other to the laziest, least mic approach to "good" sounding drums. an obvious overachiever, i'd like to "win" said challenge.

thanks for fielding all this bs.
Old 15th November 2008
  #373
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
well of course there is the classic glyyn johns 3 mic approach.
but cant exactly remeber what we did anymore.
i know it wasnt that though.
i think we based it on what he was playin.
some songs he played snare drum and ride cymbal
and it was recorded wth one mic.
i think because the situation would vary and we would get inspired and do whatever
and it was over 10yrs and 100 records ago(and there is the beer factor)
i just cant exactly remember.
Old 15th November 2008
  #374
Lives for gear
 
thearnicasync's Avatar
 

thanks! one is in fact, the "fewest" number of mics. i'll have to break it to my buddy that you won this fight a long time ago. and apologies for drudging up 100 records ago; i struggle remembering two weeks ago. that observation just always stuck out in my mind....

again thanks, and all the best!
Old 16th November 2008
  #375
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
but this wasnt necessarily for a "good" drum sound.
when we wanted drums to be more hifi we did the usual approach
of close micing the drums.


Quote:
Originally Posted by thearnicasync View Post
thanks! one is in fact, the "fewest" number of mics. i'll have to break it to my buddy that you won this fight a long time ago. and apologies for drudging up 100 records ago; i struggle remembering two weeks ago. that observation just always stuck out in my mind....

again thanks, and all the best!
Old 16th November 2008
  #376
Lives for gear
 
Kris's Avatar
rob S, have you tried an AEA r84? I've yet to have mine crap out and its been in front of lots of marshall type amps cranked.
Old 17th November 2008
  #377
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
never tried it on gtrs.
only on drumbs.
i'll have to try that sometime.
Old 20th November 2008
  #378
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
where would one procure tweeters for genelec 1031A's if so inclined ?
Old 22nd November 2008
  #379
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
thanks andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewjudah View Post
Hey Rob, just wanted to say you did a amazing job with XO. Thanks
Old 22nd November 2008
  #380
Gear Maniac
 
allyouneedisears's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post
thanks andrew
No... Thank you
Old 17th December 2008
  #381
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
i am really digging the ANT 695B and 696B eq's.
powerful eq's with some uncommon frequencies.
transformer in and out.
selectable Q.
the 696's have hi and low pass filters.
and most importantly, they are still affordable.
Old 28th January 2009
  #382
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
the REEVES 100watt head dominated today.
Old 28th January 2009
  #383
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
Reminds me.Damn,I miss my Reeves 50 watter
so Rob,your MCI is up and running?
Old 28th January 2009
  #384
Gear Maniac
 
bryancook's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post
see pictures of royers in front of 4x12 cabs all the time but when we do it they cant handle the SPL.
with different 122's always the same result.
am i missing something?
i have always found the phantom powered and tube royers to have a higher output that with loud sources, is too much for most pres on their lowest gain setting.

what does work is the original 121 that is not phantom powered or tube. i use that on loud amps all the time and it works great.
Old 28th January 2009
  #385
Lives for gear
 
Fleaman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post
I always do them at about a 45* angle and not right up on the speaker (little breathing room).
I just realized I was talking about 121's when I replied, not the 122's that Rob mentioned.

Never used a 122.
Old 29th January 2009
  #386
Lives for gear
 
Wiggy Neve Slut's Avatar
 

Hi Rob,

As a beloved fomer owner of a MCI 428 B can u pls outline the mods done and any pics?

I had the swing in the PSU's changed and recapped... good starting place, as well as remove the DBX gold can VCAs.

Cheers
Wiggy
Old 3rd February 2009
  #387
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
the god forsaken 428B is still not done.
its almost there though.
here are some things off the top of my head.
there is about 5pounds of silver solder in there.
new big hunking power and ground buss in there.
re chipped thru out.
several gain stages have been added for example,
monitor section can be used and dump into buss while big fader is in line.
quad buss has been broken out into two stereo busses.
both have been made discreet.
one pair is neve.
the other pair is 990 jensen.
they can run parallel with each other or either can serially dump into
the other.
various flavors of mic transformer and line transformer
from neve lundahl jensen and UTC.
the fader has been moved post EQ.
the EQ has been re worked and has additional frequencies.
lots of patch bay has been added.
punch block removed.
converted to elco.
tuchels have been removed.
and on it goes.
i'm hoping to get it done before the music business goes out of business i.e. very soon

Last edited by rob S; 3rd February 2009 at 06:25 AM.. Reason: grammar
Old 3rd February 2009
  #388
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryancook View Post
i have always found the phantom powered and tube royers to have a higher output that with loud sources, is too much for most pres on their lowest gain setting.

what does work is the original 121 that is not phantom powered or tube. i use that on loud amps all the time and it works great.
the reeves would have destroyed that thing.
seriously, the only ribbon i've had luck with on a 4x12 being tortured by 4 EL34's
is a beyer160.
i'm not saying anybody is wrong, i'm just sayin inmy experiences the royer has buckled everytime.
go figure......
Old 3rd February 2009
  #389
Lives for gear
 
imacgreg's Avatar
hey Rob
Thom (the other half of Standard) and I were at kingsize A (which is awesome) last couple days... bummed we missed ya.

your console mods sound awesome/extreme! good luck!

ian
Old 3rd February 2009
  #390
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post
the god forsaken 428B is still not done.
its almost there though.
here are some things off the top of my head.
there is about 5pounds of silver solder in there.
new big hunking power and ground buss in there.
re chipped thru out.
several gain stages have been added for example,
monitor section can be used and dump into buss while big fader is in line.
quad buss has been broken out into two stereo busses.
both have been made discreet.
one pair is neve.
the other pair is 990 jensen.
they can run parallel with each other or either can serially dump into
the other.
various flavors of mic transformer and line transformer
from neve lundahl jensen and UTC.
the fader has been moved post EQ.
the EQ has been re worked and has additional frequencies.
lots of patch bay has been added.
punch block removed.
converted to elco.
tuchels have been removed.
and on it goes.
i'm hoping to get it done before the music business goes out of business i.e. very soon
thumbsup
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
T-rex / So much gear, so little time
31
impact studios / Music Computers
1
djui5 / Gear free zone - shoot the breeze
1

Forum Jump
Forum Jump