The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Beck / Sea Change
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

Beck / Sea Change

I just got the LP version of this. I guess it's been threatening to come out for quite a while. I have to say I'm pretty disappointed with the sound quality, though. It's got a lot of high end, and it's not pretty high end. It's actually pretty distracting. I think it makes any digital effects sound really digital, but also it seems like the conversion doesn't sound so good either.

Does anyone know how this album was originally recorded (digital tape, pro tools, analog, etc...)

I was thinking that if it was an earlier digital project, that may have something to do with it. I don't have the CD to compare it to, but maybe I'll have to go out and get it.

This is exactly the sound that I try like hell to avoid.

Also, for some reason, the vocal sounds really pasted-on. Maybe because the ambience doesn't match. Who knows. I also didn't remember the music being like this. I think I like Midnight Vultures and Mellow Gold better. I didn't remember liking Odelay as much, either, now that I think about it. Guero was just totally disappointing. Really flat and waaaaaaay too many loops for my taste.
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

I really like Sea Change. Agree completely about Guero: never want to hear it again. What's next for Beck, I wonder? David
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

DVD-A

Try the DVD-A version of Seachange if you can find it.

It has your standard surround/stereo mixes, plus (i think) 7 music videos.

It is worth the listen in surround.

The album in its entirety is rather dark. Melancholy. Yet, it is good stuff to sit back to in appropriate moods.
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Herbert
I really like Sea Change. Agree completely about Guero: never want to hear it again. What's next for Beck, I wonder? David
I just read that the Dust Brothers used Ableton Live a lot on Guero. Dunno what that has to do with anything, except that I find that manually chopping stuff works better for me. I think the smashed to hell sound of it is distracting, but in general I didn't find the songs to be up to the standard of Mellow/Sea Change/Vultures.

I'd try the DVDA but I don't have a surround setup. Is there a DVDA stereo track, or is the stereo track standard CD rate? Otherwise I have to depend on the decoder's idea about what stereo is.
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

yeah, the DVD-A has surround mixes, stereo mixes, plus a few videos. You'll have to play it in some sort of DVD player, but if you want the true MLP lossless version, go for playing it in an DVD-A player. I think the stereo tracks/videos are 48/24, and pretty sure it won't play as a CD.

I have the SACD version too, and mine has stereo mixes and surround mixes. I haven't been able to compare them side by side, I lack an adequate surround set up, as well as two units to play from.

For me, since I don't own a surround SACD player, my preference falls to the DVD-A.

If you can find a SACD format with stereo SACD/stereo CD, you might try it.

hope this helps,

Andrew
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

I have four ATC's now, two 20's and two 12's so I guess I should order a center channel, huh?

What's the cool DVD-A player?
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

Question

anyone know?
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

My guess is that Sea Change was recorded with a neve desk, tape, and some U47s. I remember reading that was how nigel godrich recorded the last few radiohead albums and it's got a similar sound. I could be completely wrong though.
Old 27th May 2006
Old 29th May 2006
Gear Nut

I think Sea Change was recorded on the the custom built API in studio 2 at oceanway - there was a chat about the console not long ago in this thread:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/71802-custom-api-oceanway.html

Tim.
Old 29th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioez
Hola.

Thanks for the info, bros.
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

I agree about the DVD-A. It sounds pretty good in surround. I don't remember who mixed the surround version, but I don't think it was Nigel Godrich.

FWIW I really like the sound of Sea Change, though Guero not so much.
Old 6th June 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
I agree about the DVD-A. It sounds pretty good in surround. I don't remember who mixed the surround version, but I don't think it was Nigel Godrich.

Well, that's all we have to say, no?
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

guess thats it
Old 29th June 2006
Lives for gear
I only have it on CD and i think its really, really good. the instrumentation is great and the songs are great. Never heard the vinyl version, but it sounds like it was slammed in digital mastering and they used that master to cut the record...always sounds like ass.
Old 1st July 2006
Lives for gear

FWIW Elliot Scheiner did the surround mixes.

Maybe that's why the surround DVD-A sounds so good

Just kidding.
Old 10th July 2006
Lives for gear

I almost bought the DVD-a version a couple of months ago....
Old 12th July 2006
Lives for gear

Pioneer do a good "universal" player (SACD, DVD-A, DVD etc)

Sea change is great in surround, good job Elliot!

Anyone heard "Guiro" in 5.1?
Old 14th July 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by robot gigante
FWIW Elliot Scheiner did the surround mixes.
Haha, I was just thinking as I was reading "who did the surround mix?", "I bet Elliot Scheiner did it".

I've heard all the digital versions, I remember thinking that the SACD version sounded very much like it was coming off a 2-inch.

I like the album very much, but I'd also agree that the vocal doesn't really sit with the other instruments. In most cases I'd be against that sound, but I think it gave a kind of intimacy and authority that we weren't used to hearing in Beck's work before that record.
Old 14th July 2006
Gear Maniac

I just realized that Beck"s "Sea Changes" has some striking similarities to Serge Gainsbourg's "Histoire De Melody Nelson".

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search