The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Just introducing myself
Old 17th May 2006
Here for the gear

Just introducing myself

Hey everyone

I've been lurking here for quite some time, don't know how long exactly, but it's been a while. I've decided to finally start posting here, as well. So, I thought I'd introduce myself.

My name's Alec, and I'm currently attending Western Michigan University. I'm a bassist and guitarist, mainly. But, I far prefer being on the other side of the stage, and doing either live sound or recording. I'm taking a series of four classes at WMU about recording - finished the third last semester. I really enjoy these classes, as their purpose is to get us right into recording sessions. The first class is all about the basics of recording, and then the top 5 students go on to the next three classes. In these three classes, we all get to do our own recording projects, which include three anything projects, a cover project, a ProTools project, a console automation project, and a no effects project (all microphone placement - no EQ, no reverbs (although we can, and are encouraged to use real spaces), no compressors, no limiters, no gates, nothing other than mics and speakers). One of my favorite things about these classes is that we are trained using a real, inline recording console. We mix using it for at least 4 projects, as well.

The studio I work at/take classes through is called Western Sound Studios, and it's a part of the university. It's a well-equipped place. The studio is based around an Otari Series 54 console, and a RADAR for student projects. We also have a Digi001 for ProTools, although we are hoping to upgrade to an HD system in the next couple years. If anyone wants to know the list of outboard gear we have, just ask.

I also do live sound here, for a group called Gold Company, a 16 singer group, with a full rhythm section, and a 4 piece horn section. We just performed in NYC a few weeks ago, at Carnegie Hall and at Jazz at Lincoln Center. Before I left for college, I was doing sound at a church for 6 years.

So, that's pretty much where I'm coming from. I hope to own my studio after I've graduated. In the mean time, I've been thinking about taking out a sizeable loan and purchasing either a bus or truck and transforming it into a recording studio, with control room, and a tracking room, albeit a fairly small one. I got the idea from a thread over at the homerecording.org bbs. If anyone has any ideas about that, I would love to hear them.

Sorry for the fairly long length there, just felt I should give my background before I started posting elsewhere.

alec
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

'sup.

welcome to the board!

FM

FM is not your mother... he's a man, baby!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search