The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Echo Unit facts and advice #1
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Echo Unit facts and advice #1

For a test, put a waves ren eq or any eq plug-in on a track. Set the controls so the EQ is totally flat ...theoretically doing nothing right? Then go back and forth A/B...listening to the difference when you bypass the plug and when you put it on with the controls set flat.
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo unit

Always compress when recording! It does 3 things.

Gets you nice even levels so that you don't have to do crazy automation or riding of the fader levels too much after...just push up the faders and your mix is there.

Everything is even and all the articulation of your performances are clearly defined.

It also allows you to get nice big and even levels onto your recording medium without having the meters so low at some points and then almost clipping at others. It controls the dynamics of the playing to make everything well heard.
You forgot one....

It removes the natural dynamics that we hear in the real world and if overused, which it usually is, it causes lab rats to start fighting amongst themselves and to chew off their own tails.
Old 13th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcCirDude
....and to chew off their own tails.

ROTFL that's what i just did. a very rewarding experience
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
You will be amazed at the degradation of your audio.
reading this thread might give you this same result. ymmv.
Old 13th May 2006

Quote:
Get a distressor!!!!!!!!

It's the comp that does every instrument really well. Ask anyone.

Drums - very complicate, another discussion entirely.

Bass - ratio 4:1 or 6:1 compress about 10dB to 14dB Attack 5.4 release 3.7

AC guitar strummed - Ratio 10:1 10 to 14 dB of comp attack 3 release 9

E-guitar - ratio 6:1 10 to 14 dB of comp attack 5.5 relelase 4

Voices - ratio 10:1 14 to 17 dB of comp attack 5 release 3.5

Gets you nice even levels so that you don't have to do crazy automation or riding of the fader levels too much after...just push up the faders and your mix is there.

Everything is even and all the articulation of your performances are clearly defined.

It also allows you to get nice big and even levels onto your recording medium without having the meters so low at some points and then almost clipping at others. It controls the dynamics of the playing to make everything well heard.

If you are on a budget, use your one and only expensive and really awesome hardware compressor on everything in your mix by cuttting your tracks one at a time overdub style but always start with a good groove from a drum machine or samples/loops if you are doing rhythmic music.

Software plug-in compression is soooooooo awfully terrible yuukky ****t crapola please get it off me, it hurts!!!!!!!!!! ASAP!

Software is **** my friends. get a mixing board and send your tracks out into it. Use the board EQ until you can afford some decent outboard EQ. A really great and cheap mixer is the Mackie ONYX. Sounds nothing like the Mackie's that people know. It's a new design and the EQ is useable. Get a distressor to track with after the Portico preamp and get a used Lexicon for reverb and a used Yamaha SPX for delays and modulation effects.

Never put plug-ins on your raw tracks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They suck the tone out of your recordings!!!!!!!!!!!!

For a test, put a waves ren eq or any eq plug-in on a track. Set the controls so the EQ is totally flat ...theoretically doing nothing right? Then go back and forth A/B...listening to the difference when you bypass the plug and when you put it on with the controls set flat.

Knock Knock. Is this the right room for an arguement. heh

I love mixing ITB.
I love doing the complete oppersite of everything you just said.
I love software and have sold ALL and my hardware (save my Origin STT-1)
I love you man.

Trebor
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

I wish I had the motivation to upload 10 audio files. One with a stock digi eq on it doing "nothing" the rest without.

It'd be fun to see if echounit could spot it. Especially seeing as it nulls, so no cheating by flipping the phase.

Maybe later.
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Thumbs down Adams Counter Advice

I wrote a big long reply addressing all the various points brought up in the original post, but Ive thought better of it. Instead...

Echo Unit, you need to go make some records before giving engineering advice, comeback once you have engineered 10 -15 or so full length commercial Cd's under you belt. Until then listen, ask questions and absorb the good advice from the Pros.

and of course, this is just my opinion.
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Nut

3 easy steps to GS nirvana

How to win friends and influence people in three easy steps by Echoman.

1) First you must attack at least one member per day on a forum which you visit
2) You must then also attack all forms of recording that are Not they way you would do things, even if your way is wrong dfegad on the rest of em'
3) Then once you are in exile you must fight your way back into the forum and ever so deligently defend yourself till then end.

Oh ya 4)Never, ever admit that your wrong! tutt That would be mean you've learned something.

And now for my exit
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

I like Thai food.
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

LOVE, ROLO.

WHO IS THIS DIP S***!!! your advice sucks as is obviously derived from secondhand info and not first hand education. YOU HAVE NO CLUE, DO YOU? I just searched some of your posts... you are in NO position to give advice, unless some poor soul asks for it. please leave and don't come back. love, rolo.

Quote:
Get a distressor!!!!!!!!

If you are on a budget, use your one and only expensive and really awesome hardware compressor on everything in your mix by cuttting your tracks one at a time overdub style but always start with a good groove from a drum machine or samples/loops if you are doing rhythmic music.

Software plug-in compression is soooooooo awfully terrible yuukky ****t crapola please get it off me, it hurts!!!!!!!!!! ASAP!

Software is **** my friends. get a mixing board and send your tracks out into it. Use the board EQ until you can afford some decent outboard EQ. A really great and cheap mixer is the Mackie ONYX. Sounds nothing like the Mackie's that people know. It's a new design and the EQ is useable. Get a distressor to track with after the Portico preamp and get a used Lexicon for reverb and a used Yamaha SPX for delays and modulation effects.

Never put plug-ins on your raw tracks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They suck the tone out of your recordings!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 13th May 2006
krs
Lives for gear

I thing everybody already covered it....
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Get a distressor!!!!!!!!

I think I'll call him Squishy
Old 13th May 2006
FX smörgåsbord user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Murray
I like Thai food.
Tofu Masaman is a major fave of mine. What's yours?
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Dye
Tofu Masaman is a major fave of mine. What's yours?
Well Charles, I've always been partial to Kung Ob Woon Sen. But as embarrassingly cliché as it is, sometimes you just can't beat a well thought out Pad Thai. But you're right, Tofu Masaman is up there.

Moving on, do you find Diet Coke to retain all of the glorious nail-melting qualities of it's bigger brother? Because frankly, I find that it's lacking something.
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Yeah Thai food is great and I really like Thai iced coffee. But you know what's even better than that? Vietnamese iced coffee. Man, that's some good stuff.

DP
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Oh Christ, yeah, with the condensed Milk? I love that stuff.
Old 13th May 2006
FX smörgåsbord user

Quote:
Moving on, do you find Diet Coke to retain all of the glorious nail-melting qualities of it's bigger brother? Because frankly, I find that it's lacking something.
Well Mathew, I love Coke compared to Pepsi, cuz it has that sizzly bite in the taste. But the sugar is just a killer, so I've been drinking Diet Coke for years, but, no, it clearly doesn't come close to Coke + it has that funny after taste.

But DUDE, that's all behind me now. Ya gotta check out Coke Zero! It's really amazing how much it tastes like Coke. Seriously. It tastes awesome. It has all the bite + edge of Coke, and is only missing the super sweetness.

It really tastes waaayyy better than Diet Coke + it ain't got any calories.
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Nut

I do believe there are couple of hijackers around here heh
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well Mathew, I love Coke compared to Pepsi, cuz it has that sizzly bite in the taste. But the sugar is just a killer, so I've been drinking Diet Coke for years, but, no, it clearly doesn't come close to Coke + it has that funny after taste.

But DUDE, that's all behind me now. Ya gotta check out Coke Zero! It's really amazing how much it tastes like Coke. Seriously. It tastes awesome. It has all the bite + edge of Coke, and is only missing the super sweetness.

It really tastes waaayyy better than Diet Coke + it ain't got any calories.
Holy Mary Mother of God, are you serious? You mean I've been suffering through the awful after-sting of Diet Coke all this time, and Coke Zero has been waiting there in the wings? How is it in the highs, not too shrill?

You see Charles, I, like you, have been a sufferer of oversugarfikation. This could potentially be THE MAGIC BULLET ANSWER to my coke woes.

I also fully agree with you on the Coke vs. Pepsi thing. That's just a rule that everyone should know. Nobody should like Pepsi, it's just a rule. We might want to make a separate thread about that rule, however.
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:

Have you tried coke with splenda? I am really diggin that stuff.
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Guys, Thai food is great, but Thai women........
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Absolutely this thread has been highjacked. Why are we off on this Coke thing? You guys brought up Thai food, and we didn't even talk about curries yet.
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by by-tor
Have you tried coke with splenda? I am really diggin that stuff.
All sugar substitutes are evil! We will never successfully reproduce the olfactory qualities of a naturally occurring substance while precluding the chemical elements that make it what it is.

- Classic Coke man thru and thru.heh

BTW I think Pepsi works well with some things, like a deep-fried Panzorotti.

Charles, Your entire existance is based on selling soft drinks for Coca-Cola.
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

does using a hardware compressor over a software compressor makes me less hungry?
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

You know, Killahurts is right. Maybe we should bring this back full circle then and incorporate the original post:

Can you get away with mixing Pepsi and Thai Food, or is Coke the only answer?
Old 13th May 2006
FX smörgåsbord user

I am seriously laughing out loud. So much so, an acronym won't suffice.

My cats are staring @ me.

Psyko, yer killin' me.

bg7, that's some funny ass ****.
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Addict

I've never been entirely satisfied with the Thai curries I've had, maybe I need to try some new places.

I love Indian food, tho.

No, don't mix Coke or Pepsi with Thai... Beer is the only answer!

Chaz, glad to return the favour... I'm outta here!
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
You see Charles, I, like you, have been a sufferer of oversugarfikation.

that should be remedied once you upgrade your converters.

and echo-unit... you, my friend... to use the parlance of our times.... uhh, heheh... you are a human paraquat.

giving bunk advice to needy little urban achievers, you are scum, man!!
Old 13th May 2006
FX smörgåsbord user

Now, I'm afraid we may be loosing our focus a little bit.

But I will say, I can't resist a great North Indian vegatable curry.
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJay
that should be remedied once you upgrade your converters.

Thanks, I'll go try that now. If I clock to a Big Ben, will it enable me to digest carbs in a more efficient way? Just trying to get the most bang for my buck. I'll do a shootout in the john and post the results next week.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search