The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What Would Happen If You Shot a Gun In Space?
Old 22nd February 2012
Gear Guru

What Would Happen If You Shot a Gun In Space?

Interesting!

What Would Happen If You Shot a Gun In Space? - Yahoo! News
Quote:
Once shot, the bullet will keep going, quite literally, forever. "The bullet will never stop, because the universe is expanding faster than the bullet can catch up with any serious amount of mass" to slow it down, said Matija Cuk, an astronomer with joint appointments at Harvard University and the SETI Institute. (If the universe weren't expanding, then the one or two atoms per cubic centimeter encountered by the bullet in the near-vacuum of space would bring it to a standstill after 10 million light-years.)
Old 23rd February 2012
Lives for gear

Would there be a way to use this principle to create free energy?
Old 23rd February 2012
Gear Nut

That's not really true though, unless you manage to shoot the bullet outside the "gravity field" of our CLUSTER of galaxies (ie, shooting it past 50-100 billion stars and solar systems or so to get outside our galaxy isn't enough, you have to get past 50-100 billion galaxies too. I doubt there are guns that powerful

EDIT: Also, anything with energy has radiation, and will eventually (it may take a REALLY long time, but "forever" is longer) literally disappear into "nothing", nothing being the background radiation of the universe (dark energy). Thus even if you did shoot the bullet past all previously mentioned, it wouldn't really go on forever.

Sorry if I ruined someones high

EDIT2: I'm pretty sure the man cited knows all this, he's just doing his best to make his science look cool
Old 23rd February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentvangogo View Post
Would there be a way to use this principle to create free energy?
It is not free energy.
The energy is exactly the same as if you'd fire the same gun on earth.
Its just that in space there is less or no gravity to pull the projectile down and practically no wind resistance.
Old 24th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.F.F. View Post
It is not free energy.
The energy is exactly the same as if you'd fire the same gun on earth.
Its just that in space there is less or no gravity to pull the projectile down and practically no wind resistance.
This is why I failed science.
Old 24th February 2012
Lives for gear

You might kill space?
Old 24th February 2012
Lives for gear

in space no one can hear you scream.
Old 24th February 2012
Lives for gear

Bullet would go right round the curvature of space and hit you in the back. Except the recoil would send you spinning backwards, so it might hit you in the face or indeed anywhere according to unceirtainty principle. But you would get your own back!
Old 25th February 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by faramita View Post
so it might hit you in the face or indeed anywhere according to unceirtainty principle.
I think it would take longer than the total existence of the universe for this to occur, only slightly worse odds than winning the lottery >.<
Old 25th February 2012
Lives for gear

Doesn't the gunpowder need oxygen to ignite? I don't think anything would happen if you fired a gun in space. Might actually get more results throwing the gun or bullet.
Old 25th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by InternJesse View Post
I think it would take longer than the total existence of the universe for this to occur, only slightly worse odds than winning the lottery >.<
It depends on how good a shot you were.
Old 25th February 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grummy77 View Post
Doesn't the gunpowder need oxygen to ignite? I don't think anything would happen if you fired a gun in space. Might actually get more results throwing the gun or bullet.
apparently guns work in space because the gun powder doesn't require any external o2.

" a nitrate, typically potassium nitrate (KNO3), which supplies oxygen for the reaction;
charcoal, which provides carbon and other fuel for the reaction, simplified as carbon (C);
sulfur (S), which, while also serving as a fuel, lowers the temperature required to ignite the mixture, thereby increasing the rate of combustion.
"
Old 25th February 2012
Lives for gear

"What Would Happen If You Shot a Gun In Space?"
Al Gore would accuse you of causing global warming
Old 25th February 2012
The recoil would shoot you in the opposite direction, for about 1 million light years.

Remember: Guns don't shoot space, people do.
Old 26th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cans View Post
apparently guns work in space because the gun powder doesn't require any external o2.

" a nitrate, typically potassium nitrate (KNO3), which supplies oxygen for the reaction;
charcoal, which provides carbon and other fuel for the reaction, simplified as carbon (C);
sulfur (S), which, while also serving as a fuel, lowers the temperature required to ignite the mixture, thereby increasing the rate of combustion.
"

Oh my, that goes back some years. Nobody uses a black gunpowder like that anymore.
It's more likely to be one of the smokeless varieties like nitrocellulose.
Old 26th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by InternJesse View Post
And hopefully it will take you less time than that to get it. Just in case, it will not: My post was a joke
Old 10th March 2013
Here for the gear

~and what would happen if you fired said gun, while "at or near" the speed of light? It would either be: really cool, and/ or, instantly regrettable!...
Old 23rd March 2013
Gear Addict

Thats interesting,i didnt really ever think about that!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search