Thinking of moving to LA

Am I crazy?
Old 22nd January 2012
Gear Addict

Shut up and do it.

Best,
Old 22nd January 2012
Lives for gear

I'm thinking about moving to Montana and raising me up a crop of dental floss... heh
Old 22nd January 2012
Lives for gear

I'm thinking about moving to Nashville to retire and play music...from LA.
Old 22nd January 2012
Here for the gear

I wana move to LA to pursue music too, I don't no anybody out there either.
Old 22nd January 2012
Lives for gear
LA is a very dangerous place. If you're not careful you can find yourself in some strange chick's bed who has fake boobs and a perfect tan. Worse yet you have to be very careful about the ocean. Surfing can tire you out so much that you won't be able to stay up all night without stimulants.
Old 22nd January 2012
Gear Maniac

What genre? Its tough out here, but if you think it will help, go ahead

Sent from my DROID Pro using Gearslutz.com
Old 22nd January 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotonic View Post
LA is a very dangerous place. If you're not careful you can find yourself in some strange chick's bed who has fake boobs and a perfect tan. Worse yet you have to be very careful about the ocean. Surfing can tire you out so much that you won't be able to stay up all night without stimulants.
lol this makes me wana move even more
Old 22nd January 2012
Yeah, all that perfect weather and beautiful babes in every direction can really bring you down.
Old 22nd January 2012
Lives for gear

I could never find anything going on in LA really. I live in Nashville now and I've never even remotely experienced a music scene as vibrant as this one, and I've been around. LOVE LOVE LOVE it here! This is the best music town in the world right now and it costs 1/3rd what it costs to live in LA.
Old 22nd January 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by sventvkg View Post
I could never find anything going on in LA really.
Seriously? You look like Brett Michaels in your icon! Maybe you weren't there at the right time. Or maybe I'm losing my eyesight and you're just wearing a cowboy hat.

I moved there in the eighties it was a really good time from what I remember. And I had long hair like every other guy who thought he was in The Cult. That's when rock was king and Perry Farell was the hot new kid on the scene. Good times.
Old 22nd January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotonic View Post
Seriously? You look like Brett Michaels in your icon! Maybe you weren't there at the right time. Or maybe I'm losing my eyesight and you're just wearing a cowboy hat.

I moved there in the eighties it was a really good time from what I remember. And I had long hair like every other guy who thought he was in The Cult. That's when rock was king and Perry Farell was the hot new kid on the scene. Good times.
HA! It's the hat and outfit and I was having fun for a photo shoot I'm a rock/americana/radio country guy and all I found in LA in 2010, was the end of the Hotel Cafe singer songwriter scene and the Pop scene..Obviously electronica, hip hop etc etc but Since I'm not into that stuff, I didn't bother. The strip was all but closing down by midnight and there was a scant few places that even had live music and when they did, more often then not the bands were HORRIBLE!! I promptly moved to Nashville and so did my buddy who I was staying with in LA!!! Lots of stuff jumping off here now. I signed a co-pub deal, have some single song stuff, sync, producing a record for an artist, just finished one music video and will be doing a few more. We're developing a musicians social networking thing plus working on a pilot about Nashville songwriters....Crazy!! Love it here! Seems like all my contacts from NY and LA are coming here.
Old 22nd January 2012
Gear Addict

go for it... LA is awesome. It's not as expensive as people say... only certain neighborhoods are expensive, and there are infinite networking opportunities. I know a lot of people doing well and getting plenty of work.
Old 22nd January 2012
As far as my expierence goes, you must be prepared for an "all fake" culture and must be in the position to repeat the word "awesome" and smile even if you just lost both arms and legs.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Gearslutz.com
Old 22nd January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by payne104 View Post
go for it... LA is awesome. It's not as expensive as people say... only certain neighborhoods are expensive, and there are infinite networking opportunities. I know a lot of people doing well and getting plenty of work.
Dude, you are in Van Nuys...

Thats the ghetto. Literally.

When my truck was stolen, they found it in Van Nuys. If you want to buy glass (the drug), go to Van Nuys. My car was broken into 4 times in Van Nuys. If you want a prostitute- Van Nuys.

So yeah, it may be cheaper there... But to live ANYWHERE decent, its expensive.

BTW- the valley sucks... and yeah I lived there. I even lived IN VAN NUYS for 3 months... It was awful.

To the OP- don't move to the valley- it AINT LA (just LA county). If you MUST then Burbank or Valley Village with the rest of the hopefuls.
Old 22nd January 2012
Gear Nut

At the end of the day, we all just looking for something, to fill the emptiness inside... love, family, art, music, violence, alcohol, drugs...
As long as you are busy with something, you don't think about it... so if you are not happy with where you are, do something else.

Getting connections is easy, just go for it, be pro active, meet people - if you are good at what you do, you will find connections/jobs in no time.

I think I'll move to UK in couple of years, there is just nothing going on in Belgium or maybe even LA, who knows...
Old 22nd January 2012
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj3kTdx1QBw

Last edited by Grin-go-go; 22nd January 2012 at 11:20 AM.. Reason: mistake
Old 22nd January 2012
Lives for gear

@anthon Why on earth would you want to move to the u.k? ,Stay away from the North!

I Wanna get outta here and get to Vegas!, i think i'd preferre milan or barcelona but i dont speak the lingo.
Old 22nd January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDingus View Post
Dude, you are in Van Nuys...

Thats the ghetto. Literally.

When my truck was stolen, they found it in Van Nuys. If you want to buy glass (the drug), go to Van Nuys. My car was broken into 4 times in Van Nuys. If you want a prostitute- Van Nuys.

So yeah, it may be cheaper there... But to live ANYWHERE decent, its expensive.

BTW- the valley sucks... and yeah I lived there. I even lived IN VAN NUYS for 3 months... It was awful.

To the OP- don't move to the valley- it AINT LA (just LA county). If you MUST then Burbank or Valley Village with the rest of the hopefuls.
Guess you didn't like "Fast Times At Ridgemont High" very much
Old 22nd January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthon View Post
I think I'll move to UK in couple of years, there is just nothing going on in Belgium or maybe even LA, who knows...
Carry on over to LA mate, the situation is dire in the UK at the moment!
Old 23rd January 2012
Lives for gear

I couldn't recommend LA for pursuing music, but then again I couldn't recommend Minneapolis for that either...
Playing in a local band is miserable out here, but the other opportunities LA offers don't exist anywhere else.

Just living out here is unique too. I often wish I lived in a more nature filled city, but honestly whenever we travel to another US City it's like, okay what can we do here that we can't do regularly in LA? Other than some unique sight seeing, not much usually...

We have enough out of town LA haters out here already, so please by all means all of those who think LA is a "fake" place full of fake people stay away and quit clogging up my commute. Everyone else who is cool (and especially those who aren't self obsessed, social ladder climbers) please come ASAP! East LA is blowing up in a major way and is still affordable and has a great old LA vibe (it feels like Brooklyn 10 years ago, seriously). heh
Old 24th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola View Post
As far as my expierence goes, you must be prepared for an "all fake" culture and must be in the position to repeat the word "awesome" and smile even if you just lost both arms and legs.
You've spent too much time on the westside of LA. LA is full of gems. You have to be a seeker to get the most out of it.
Old 24th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
Jeremy, maybe we could be neighbors? Burbank area is kind of what I'm thinking, last time I visited I spent a night there and enjoyed myself. It is a ways from the beach, but you gotta weigh your pros and cons, and your money.

I lived all around the city in the 80's and 90's. West LA, South Bay, East and West Valley, Hollywood, Huntington Beach.

My oldest wants to move to California in her senior year and establish residency, pretty serious about going to college in CA. Actually she was born in the Santa Monica hospital. My other two were born near Boulder, Colorado. My middle daughter made up her mind we should move to Australia.
Seriously, we're going out for a drink if you move here, I'm just east of Burbank on the 134. heh
Old 27th January 2012
Lives for gear

For a house for a family I would bet around $2500-3000. I know someone who rents their former family home in Burbank (they moved to Valencia), I could check in with her to see if it's vacant or coming close to vacant when you get an idea about when you're thinking of coming. I'd just check out CL and since you have a feel for LA you should do okay. Neither city really has a "bad" area so you're probably okay on that count... Obviously there are better values to be had in the valley next door, but some areas are kind of sketchy and hit or miss.
Old 12th July 2012
Lives for gear

Hi guys,

Reading from you sounds like LA is from an other galaxy ahah.

I'm really interested into moving to LA.
Don't know if it's the best idea, but I really want to move to the US for my intership in 2014 and learn from a top producer.
I'm from France (Paris) and I'll be in a sound engineering program the two next years (all courses in english) reaching a five years degree, I still get a three years degree in acoustics. Hope I could definitly move to the US after that; work, work, work hard and doing something (huge if it's possible).

PS: I'm not a dreamer, surely a beginner but a hard worker.
Old 14th July 2012
Gear Addict

Old 15th July 2012
Gear Guru

Seems that I'm outvoted for the moment. I'm not giving up though, I'll be there eventually.
Old 14th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
Seems that I'm outvoted for the moment. I'm not giving up though, I'll be there eventually.
Ha!
Old 28th March 2015
Gear Guru

I am seriously coming, hope to be there this year. After an incredibly difficult divorce with craziness that nobody would believe if I wrote a book.

My house, that I was thrown out of two years ago April, is finally going to be sold, as I am going back to court in two weeks to force.

And then, I'm out of here. Probably west side. I was thinking Santa Monica until I looked into the rents.

My daughters are coming with me. They have all been living with me, just crazy stuff.

I use to have a very good friend in LA, we always hung out when I've lived there. But he died. I'll definitely be looking for some new friends.

Can't wait to have an In-N-Out burger.
Old 29th March 2015
Gear Guru

Yup, three years in the making. I'm really doing it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search