The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Thinking of moving to LA Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 26th June 2018
Lives for gear

Yes, how are things going in LA?
Old 26th June 2018
Gear Guru

No, I'm hitting the road this coming Sunday.

Finishing packing everything up this week.
Old 26th June 2018
Gear Guru

Also, I'm driving 2000 miles, it might take a few days.
Old 26th June 2018
Lives for gear

I'm done the cross country thing a few times. Can be quite scenic depending on the route. Take some time and enjoy the ride.
Old 26th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyc View Post
I'm done the cross country thing a few times. Can be quite scenic depending on the route. Take some time and enjoy the ride.
For sure. I40 is a lot more fun than I20/I10 (there's a whole lot of nothing between Dallas and El Paso which is almost 700 miles). Haven't done I70 yet.

Welcome to LA
Old 7th July 2018
Gear Guru

I had an unbelievable truck drive that included torrential rain all through Iowa and halfway through Nebraska. Stayed in San Diego a few days and saw my dad, and made it to LA today, at the peak of the heat. In fact today I smelt something burning and then the music stopped. My power amp in the trunk is cooked!

Driving in silence.

But here I am, living in LA, it's official.
Old 7th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post

Congrats! It took 5 1/2 years but you got there.
Old 7th July 2018
Quote:
I had an unbelievable truck drive that included torrential rain all through Iowa and halfway through Nebraska. Stayed in San Diego a few days and saw my dad, and made it to LA today, at the peak of the heat. In fact today I smelt something burning and then the music stopped. My power amp in the trunk is cooked!

Driving in silence.

Enjoy the fun and the sun!
Old 7th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

Driving in silence.

lol welcome!
I thought maybe you were going to say east LA, because our hillside was on fire last night! Yikes!
Old 7th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
and made it to LA today, at the peak of the heat. In fact today I smelt something burning and then the music stopped. My power amp in the trunk is cooked!

Driving in silence.

Yeah you couldn't have landed on a worse day to drive in. Welcome though!
Old 7th July 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy1 View Post
Yeah you couldn't have landed on a worse day to drive in.
What -- no worse day? There's no brushfires (yet). No earthquakes (we're overdue). No presidential motorcades from LAX to the Tonight Show or CBS (since 2016).

One thing, though: when it's been this hot and dry for a while, and then it rains (might not be before Halloween), the streets get really slick. You'll see car tires trailing what looks like soapsuds. Really, really dangerous. So be careful.

Last edited by Brent Hahn; 7th July 2018 at 09:29 PM..
Old 7th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
What -- no worse day? There's no brushfires (yet). No earthquakes (we're overdue). No presidential motorcades from LAX to the Tonight Show or CBS (since 2016).

One thing, though: when it's been this hot and dry for a while, and then it rains (might not be before Halloween), the streets get really slick. You'll see car tires trailing what looks like soapsuds. Really. really dangerous. So be careful.
True. 115 degrees but at least the streets weren't on fire or the ground swallowing things up Ahhh california paradise.

True about the rain. East coasters make fun of west coasters reacting when it rains but its an entirely different thing when roads collect 10 months of oil drippings from (millions upon millions upon millions of) cars before getting wet down into a massive oil slick.

Earlier this year the east coast was getting buried by a blizzard but LA freaking out about the rain was the Twitter trending topic haha.
Old 7th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy.c. View Post
lol welcome!
I thought maybe you were going to say east LA, because our hillside was on fire last night! Yikes!
Jesus, 7/4 was out of control...never experienced anything like it. A good 4 hours straight of non stop fireworks (non stop literally), looking from my vantage point on a hill in Silverlake over looking the lake, at least as far as I could tell, most of it coming from the east-side, coming from beyond the Echo Park hill.

Yesterday was like being in an oven the whole day and night, compounded by friggin' rolling blackouts, and then a full on outage after midnight till this morning. Not fun...

...still getting settled in - hey man, haven't forgot about our beer date.
Old 7th July 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
Jesus, 7/4 was out of control...never experienced anything like it. A good 4 hours straight of non stop fireworks (non stop literally)...
A positive economic indicator, actually. Real fireworks ain't cheap.

And believe me when I say that's this is progress. When I first moved to LA, every 4th of July and New Years Eve there was full-auto live fire everywhere. My next door neighbor came out on New Year's Day to find a bullet hole in the roof of his Corolla. Next to that, fireworks are a breath of fresh air. Actually, in LA there's no such thing as a breath of fresh air, but you know what I mean.
Old 7th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Jesus, 7/4 was out of control...never experienced anything like it. A good 4 hours straight of non stop fireworks (non stop literally), looking from my vantage point on a hill in Silverlake over looking the lake, at least as far as I could tell, most of it coming from the east-side, coming from beyond the Echo Park hill
Yeah its wild isn't it. It was at this intensity for at least 4 hours. That's a 10 mile spread right there, and it was this in every direction (this was before the three shows right near me started up). Sounded like a warzone:

Last edited by newguy1; 7th July 2018 at 09:31 PM..
Old 7th July 2018
Gear Guru

Yes, what a welcome!

The job search starts Monday.
Old 9th July 2018
Gear Guru

Well the cool is coming back.

Had to fork out some dough, but I put an even better amp in the car and the sound is rockin' better than ever!

Stereo didn't sound so good while only the subwoofer was going.

So far I love it here! Except for the lines at In-N-Out, they are packed night and day.
Old 9th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

Driving in silence.

Congratulations! You made it. I lived in San Diego for 30 years.

Unfortunately no one can be told what California is. You have to see it for yourself.
Old 10th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Jesus, 7/4 was out of control...never experienced anything like it. A good 4 hours straight of non stop fireworks (non stop literally), looking from my vantage point on a hill in Silverlake over looking the lake, at least as far as I could tell, most of it coming from the east-side, coming from beyond the Echo Park hill.

Yesterday was like being in an oven the whole day and night, compounded by friggin' rolling blackouts, and then a full on outage after midnight till this morning. Not fun...

Hahaha hell yeah! There's the Beer Shop on Sunset... (I mean, there are a million beer places now, but that's the OG - original gentrifier)

Most of those fireworks were likely coming from my neighborhood... the struggle is real every year. We didn't get a hillside fire this year on the fourth, they waited two days to start one... slackers.
On the other hand I witnessed my first flash flood out in Joshua Tree over the weekend. Not sure I'd take those over fires to be honest.
Old 11th July 2018
Quote:

Echo Park on the 4th is like Full Metal Jacket or something.... lock the cats in the bathroom and smoke a doobie because you are in for a ride like it or not.
Old 12th July 2018
Gear Guru

I found a great apartment today, they're checking my credit now. And my bank account.

On South Detroit St, near 6th. (Wilshire and Le Brea).

--

Just realized, about 2 blocks from Orchard Hardware. I've been there a few times.
Old 12th July 2018
Gear Guru

I think my daughter's going to be happy to have her own space back.
Old 12th July 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
So there you go, I told her to get the couch ready, daddy's coming.

And I wasn't kidding. Almost a week now and my back is killing me!
Old 12th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I found a great apartment today, they're checking my credit now. And my bank account.

On South Detroit St, near 6th. (Wilshire and Le Brea).

--

Just realized, about 2 blocks from Orchard Hardware. I've been there a few times.
I have had about three sets of friends who used to live within a block of there. Little Bar, I know it well!
Old 12th July 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy.c. View Post
I have had about three sets of friends who used to live within a block of there. Little Bar, I know it well!
Seems like a good spot, my daughter was living close to there before last time I visited.

Last edited by Sounds Great; 13th July 2018 at 01:15 AM..
Old 22nd July 2018
Gear Guru

Anyone have temporary sound proofing ideas for apartments?

Not that it's bad, but I want to be able to turn it up without bothering the neighbors.
Old 22nd July 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Anyone have temporary sound proofing ideas...
Food. If you can boil water, even a big pot of reasonable spaghetti will buy you a lot of tolerance.
Old 22nd July 2018
Perhaps you could buy some inexpensive mattresses and place them against the walls opposite and behind the monitors or speakers.
Old 22nd July 2018
Low frequencies will be the main factor when it comes to neighbor annoyment...

Make shure your speakers are well decoupled from the floor.

Also using small good quality speakers at a close range will decrease the need "to turn it up"
Old 22nd July 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozmik Prod. View Post
Low frequencies will be the main factor when it comes to neighbor annoyment...

Make shure your speakers are well decoupled from the floor.

Also using small good quality speakers at a close range will decrease the need "to turn it up"
Yes, I have a very large and thick rug that will be on top of carpeting so the speakers should be well decoupled from floor.

I also have two large bass traps I've been setting behind my speakers for many years.

Probably just have to treat one wall that is a common wall.

I will also be singing and playing the guitar.
Attached Thumbnails
Thinking of moving to LA-sam_1762.jpg   Thinking of moving to LA-sam_1763.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search