The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
So who's got Asperger?
Old 9th December 2011
  #1
Gear Addict
 

So who's got Asperger?

I'm just curious, I just got this diagnosis today.
Attention to detail is one thing for instance, many here seems to have that when discussing soft/hardware, synthsounds, mixing, plugins and so on.
Special interests(spending days on layering a kick or tweaking a bass sound :P)

Personally I also like electro house for instance because it's not so "emotionally" loaded, it's more about the groove and the sound.
I'm not "without emotions" but I don't like too much of it :P
Old 9th December 2011
  #2
Lives for gear
I've got something... I just don't know what. And I don't know if finding out would help things or make it worse!
I'm either bi-polar or tri-polar or have adhd.... Can't seem to finish anything lately. Like 100+ half-finished tracks. Ugh
Maybe I just need a hard slap in the face or near-death experience HAHA.
Old 9th December 2011
  #3
What a doctor may call "obsession," I call "passion." As someone who has mental disease, I understand just how much it can interfere with your life, which is when treatment becomes appropriate, but I refuse to believe that anyone who takes their art to the point of obsession automatically has something wrong with them. Indeed, if it were the other way around and people were ambivalent to their work, we would have a bunch of copy-pasted tracks with no innovation or creative thought in sight.

Oh wait
Old 9th December 2011
  #4
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
And I don't know if finding out would help things or make it worse
I don't believe in one solution for everyone, a diagnos can help one person and hinder another one.

In my case it has helped because I've learned strategies to overcome some of my difficulties, it's also good to know what you can improve and what is "near impossible" to improve.

I've learned to finish 3% of what I've started at least(I've also got ADD), better than 0% , never 100% satisfied though! :P
Old 9th December 2011
  #5
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
What a doctor may call "obsession," I call "passion."
I'm lucky, my doctor calls it "passion"
Old 9th December 2011
  #6
Lives for gear
 
memristor's Avatar
 

dont take the diagnosis too serious especially if you are in the US

I've got several diagnoses and the one thing my doctors agree with is that these are just models and labels, it's not really hard-fact science at all

you love repetitive electronic music - sure you are Asperger plus schizoidal
real Aspergers dont care for music, on the contrary

but it seems like you are quite happy with this diagnosis so keep it while it lasts
*they* might take it away from you anytime
Old 9th December 2011
  #7
Lives for gear
 
sftd's Avatar
 

Obviously I'm a "sufferer" and outspoken supporter of autism.

I was diagnosed with "autism" at the age of 4 and only much later (16) was it narrowed to Aspergers.

I attended intense five day a week behavioural therapy from 4-17, to which I attribute much of my growth as a person.

I now donate over $500,000 a year (for the past three years) to two autism foundations, one of which was founded by my grandparents.

The diagnosis is unfortunately thrown around too lightly these days and I believe distracts some degree of care for those who desperately need it.

It is in my experience not something to be relished or cherished. Simultaneously, it isn't a death sentence, and with good therapy can be "harnessed" for more good than bad.

If you have severe issues in interpersonal interactions and the like and need help finding a good therapy network please PM me.

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com
Old 9th December 2011
  #8
Lives for gear
 
jeremy.c.'s Avatar
*not intended for the post above
That's not entirely true, Asperger's is on a continuum and manifests differently in different people. All of human cognition is on a continuum and it's really less like a diagnosis of a mental illness and more a tag that you're closer to one end of normal functioning human intellect than the middle. Most people with Asperger's or mild autism will just seem "weird" to the mass of humanity, but will be able to function well within their communities. This should just be viewed as an extreme expression of normal, not an illness, and as such, even with a diagnosis, the symptoms will play out vastly differently.

There shouldn't be a stigma attached to mental illness, period, but that's a different discussion altogether. (After all, would you stigmatize someone who's liver stopped working normally? Then why would the brain be any different?)

Last edited by jeremy.c.; 9th December 2011 at 09:32 PM.. Reason: clarity
Old 9th December 2011
  #9
Lives for gear
 

i have a friend who was diagnosed with it last year. he's super smart, recording engineer, builds fancy custom monitors for studios for thousands of dollars, has done sound design/synth on all kinds of records but is apparently socially awkward and has a tough time when meeting new people.
Old 9th December 2011
  #10
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
dont take the diagnosis too serious especially if you are in the US

I've got several diagnoses and the one thing my doctors agree with is that these are just models and labels, it's not really hard-fact science at all

you love repetitive electronic music - sure you are Asperger plus schizoidal
real Aspergers dont care for music, on the contrary

but it seems like you are quite happy with this diagnosis so keep it while it lasts
*they* might take it away from you anytime
I'm in Sweden and I haven't gotten the impression from my doctor that I should "take it too seriously", rather use certain strategies as "tools".

My diagnos took several years to complete, it's been very thorough.

I agree with that it's not hard-fact science but I don't know where you heard that "real Aspergers dont care for music", sure, some don't but it's not any sort of criteria.

I don't care for IRL friends but some others do for instance.
Old 9th December 2011
  #11
Lives for gear
 
AnthonyRochester's Avatar
 

I don't have an official diagnosis but I believe I have mild AS. My symptoms are not so much obsessing in things, but I have trouble understanding the meaning behind what people say, and I have trouble with social interaction in general.
Old 9th December 2011
  #12
Lives for gear
 
AnalogGuy's Avatar
I have Asperger.

But I believe it's ADD than actual Asperger.


Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyRochester View Post
I have trouble understanding the meaning behind what people say, and I have trouble with social interaction in general.
You stole my words!

I would describe it in this way: I know and understand what the "thing A" means and what the "thing B" means... but then many times I can't comprehend the whole picture, how the things A and B are related to each other. So my logic sometimes fail in me so it's hard to understand "hidden messages" when people are not saying things straight out.

I have also special interests... very narrowly targeted interests. I'm more of like "on/off guy" which means that if I am interested of something, then I am studying things very deeply (in other words, deep obsession/passion for something). The music is great example. Unlike in the case of OP, I am totally opposite as I love mostly music that is emotionally charged... music that gives me strong feelings.
Old 9th December 2011
  #13
Gear Head
 
ONELOUDPRODUCTIO's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyRochester View Post
I don't have an official diagnosis but I believe I have mild AS. My symptoms are not so much obsessing in things, but I have trouble understanding the meaning behind what people say, and I have trouble with social interaction in general.
One of my coworkers at my day job has it, he's very intelligent but lacks common sense and he has no impulse control. He also cannot understand social situations. He is an awesome dude. I myself have severe add and I'm bipolar. Without regular meds I could never finish anything.

Sent from my Vortex using Gearslutz.com
Old 9th December 2011
  #14
Gear Guru
I don't know what I have, .. but I do keep finding out what I don't have.

I do understand social interactions. But have troubles sometimes with polite and impersonal interactions... formalities.
Makes me not trust/believe "most" people.
Old 9th December 2011
  #15
Lives for gear
 

I would just like to say that I am glad people on this forum are supportive and non-judging on these things for the most part.

I was diagnosed with schizophrenia 10 years ago. I still take medication... although I haven't had any problems or even signs of the illness in over 6 years. I have been hospitalized 4 times for delusional and paranoid and manic episodes. I can relate to things like this.

For me, though not the cause.. drugs didn't help out my cause very much in my life at the time..


Best of luck to all of us that have major struggles to overcome... music is good therapy!!
Old 9th December 2011
  #16
Gear Addict
 

I think many musicians have tendencies of asperger..Because you put down so much time on what you like and love..
My closest friend is a musician as well, but not as capable of doing as many hard hours of producing as me..But he is getting there ..

Maybe it is just dedication and passion like you guys say..

But I feel like Im kinda more at home when having friends that are musicians rather than "normal" people..Because they can understand me on a different level

With music everyone can come together in peace
Old 9th December 2011
  #17
Lives for gear
 
LiveFromKyoto's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by chembros View Post
I've got something... I just don't know what. And I don't know if finding out would help things or make it worse!
I'm either bi-polar or tri-polar or have adhd.... Can't seem to finish anything lately. Like 100+ half-finished tracks. Ugh
Maybe I just need a hard slap in the face or near-death experience HAHA.
I believe this is a serious medical condition known as "music is made for pleasure and the initial burst of inspiration and composing is the fun part, after that you get tempted to move onto something else."

I would suggest some form of medicinal therapy.
Old 9th December 2011
  #18
Gear Maniac
 

i met an autistic kid once, he spat in my face and then screamed **** louder than anyone ive ever heard before or since.

lovely chap.
Old 9th December 2011
  #19
Gear Head
 
ONELOUDPRODUCTIO's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewspuppet View Post
I would just like to say that I am glad people on this forum are supportive and non-judging on these things for the most part.

I was diagnosed with schizophrenia 10 years ago. I still take medication... although I haven't had any problems or even signs of the illness in over 6 years. I have been hospitalized 4 times for delusional and paranoid and manic episodes. I can relate to things like this.

For me, though not the cause.. drugs didn't help out my cause very much in my life at the time..


Best of luck to all of us that have major struggles to overcome... music is good therapy!!
My aunt was diagnosed schizophrenic when she was 14. She is in her 40's now and has lived in the same house with my grandfather her entire life. She has no musical talent at all but God damnit she has the biggest freaking record and music collection i have ever seen. And she has awesome taste in music! She listens to EVERYTHING and even with the 9 billion pills she takes everyday none of them are as effective as putting on a record.

Sent from my Vortex using Gearslutz.com
Old 9th December 2011
  #20
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONELOUDPRODUCTIO View Post
...She has no musical talent at all but God damnit she has the biggest freaking record and music collection i have ever seen. And she has awesome taste in music! She listens to EVERYTHING and even with the 9 billion pills she takes everyday none of them are as effective as putting on a record.

Sent from my Vortex using Gearslutz.com

That's one good quote......

Old 9th December 2011
  #21
Lives for gear
 
Jussi Kulomaa's Avatar
 

I suspect I might be at least leaning towards Asps; borderline if you will.
Some parts of my personality and behaviour "fit the profile"..

Except saying so I feel like I'm insulting those who really have Aspergers.
Old 9th December 2011
  #22
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespiz View Post
I suspect I might be at least leaning towards Asps; borderline if you will.
Some parts of my personality and behaviour "fit the profile"..

Except saying so I feel like I'm insulting those who really have Aspergers.
i have it.
Old 9th December 2011
  #23
Gear Nut
I've got the diagnosis but it's total bull****. The doctor said herself that I don't have it but still wrote down that I have it :D "slight asperger" (wtf is that?), but qualifies as a diagnosis. I also have ADHD diagnosis, but I feel like it's not true either. I know what's ADHD like and I'm not like that, much.

Here's a thought: maybe some of the people diagnosed with AD(H)D don't have the neurobiological disorder, but simply have a very vivid imagination and thus can't focus on many things since they find other things more interesting. AD(H)D makes a person get distracted easily, but for example, that doesn't happen to me even I do have concentration issues generally. That's why I'm up to quit my job as a pre/primary school assistant...

Well, nothing much to do with Asperger but wanted to say something.
Old 10th December 2011
  #24
Gear Head
 
ONELOUDPRODUCTIO's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewspuppet View Post
That's one good quote......

Old 10th December 2011
  #25
Gear Head
 
ONELOUDPRODUCTIO's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samples View Post
i met an autistic kid once, he spat in my face and then screamed **** louder than anyone ive ever heard before or since.

lovely chap.

this dude that played bass in my old band had a little brother who was autistic, he would wake up at 4 in the freaking morning and gather up every pair of shoes in the house and put them in the DRYER! He also had a hitting and smacking "tick" and he would hit and smack the piss out of people for no reason hence the reason why the bass player FLINCHED if you got within 2 feet of him.

another lovely chap.
Old 10th December 2011
  #26
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sftd View Post
Obviously I'm a "sufferer" and outspoken supporter of autism.

I was diagnosed with "autism" at the age of 4 and only much later (16) was it narrowed to Aspergers.

I attended intense five day a week behavioural therapy from 4-17, to which I attribute much of my growth as a person.

I now donate over $500,000 a year (for the past three years) to two autism foundations, one of which was founded by my grandparents.

The diagnosis is unfortunately thrown around too lightly these days and I believe distracts some degree of care for those who desperately need it.

It is in my experience not something to be relished or cherished. Simultaneously, it isn't a death sentence, and with good therapy can be "harnessed" for more good than bad.

If you have severe issues in interpersonal interactions and the like and need help finding a good therapy network please PM me.

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com
$500,000

holy ****, what do you do for a living?
Old 10th December 2011
  #27
please move thread outside of "Electronic Instruments & Production" forum thanks
Old 10th December 2011
  #28
Gear Guru
By "I" he might mean his family.
Old 10th December 2011
  #29
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowas View Post
I'm just curious, I just got this diagnosis today.
Attention to detail is one thing for instance, many here seems to have that when discussing soft/hardware, synthsounds, mixing, plugins and so on.
Special interests(spending days on layering a kick or tweaking a bass sound :P)

Personally I also like electro house for instance because it's not so "emotionally" loaded, it's more about the groove and the sound.
I'm not "without emotions" but I don't like too much of it :P
Gary Numan has mild Asperger's. So you are in good company. :-)
Old 10th December 2011
  #30
Lives for gear
 
Naugo's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1205 View Post
$500,000

holy ****, what do you do for a living?
99% chance it was inherited.... nothin wrong with that.

correct me if im wrong.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump