The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Making career plans and decisions Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 15th September 2011
Wow that was a bit much this only a forum and I correct the spellings because it's difficult in safari on a iPhone and I was in a rush sorry if that affends. I was going say it's you brought up theatre I chased up about the job I applied for and I've got it and also sorted out a permanent job in a session band. So hopefully I'll have a bit more experience before I head to London in a years time.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
The only advice I can offer is to be open to everything in life. What I didn't realize at your age was that life is big and there are WAY more possible paths and way more dreams in my soul than I could begin to understand.

So set a clear direction (yours is vague), and proceed bravely (you're too tentative and unsure). The only way to know if a path is correct is to forge it. Failure is not to be avoided, it is to be embraced. Failure is the only way to learn. Failure is essential to success.

As you move forward, keep one eye on the prize and the other on everything else, because opportunities have a way of approaching us obliquely and donning a clever disguise. Life has a funny way of guiding and steering us in directions we didn't think to go, because it sees the big picture and we see only what's in front of us... and sometimes we even miss that because we're so focused on the fantasy in our mind rather than the reality at our feet.

Get in the habit of saying yes to what's brought to you; yes creates connections, yes expands possibility. If something even remotely smells like a partial step in a direction that is possibly somewhat on course that may be good for you, say yes. Get to know as many people as possible, do as many favors as possible, keep a log of everyone you meet with enough info to remind you who they are 12 years after the fact.

The more uncertain you are about a choice, the more likely it is that you need to push into it. Do not bother trying to predict where you're going, just trust that the as long as you keep pushing forward, you will get somewhere, and it'll probably exceed your expectations by a wide margin.

Observe, choose, act, observe, adjust, repeat.

Nothing could be simpler... or more difficult.

Gregory Scott - ubk
What a fantastic post!

Well said Sir.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post

Do not bother trying to predict where you're going, just trust that as long as you keep pushing forward, you will get somewhere, and it'll probably exceed your expectations by a wide margin.

Observe, choose, act, observe, adjust, repeat.

Nothing could be simpler... or more difficult.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Love this part.

I can't tell you how many doors have opened up for me with this advice.

And doors that I had no idea even existed.

Go.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sim View Post
Wow that was a bit much this only a forum and I correct the spellings because it's difficult in safari on a iPhone and I was in a rush sorry if that affends.
Offends?

No, Safari-Iphone-Rush = A few typos are Fine.

Saying "I have dyslexia so I'm allowed to spell like sh*t duncha know" isn't.

That is all.

Quote:
I was going say it's you brought up theatre I chased up about the job I applied for and I've got it and also sorted out a permanent job in a session band. So hopefully I'll have a bit more experience before I head to London in a years time.
I'm very happy for you. My point was only that a) having a dream doesn't mean you can discount the opinions of those who know; and b) don't get ideas about where you already are, as you're nowhere yet.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Manchester has 2-3 top level places (Blueprint, a newer one that user bassjam on here co-owns...
That's Analogue Baby but it's located just outside Liverpool. Still in the final stages of the build but it's going to be a great great facility when it opens. Here's the gear list Analogue Baby Studios - Gear List

Liverpool is a good spot

To the OP: I'm at a similar place - I've been lucky enough to make some good contacts but I'd say 80% of those have been made outside of the studio. This place can throw up some opportunities if you know who you are talking to, but get out to gigs, speak to bands and be prepared to work for free to get your foot in the door.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklight_uk View Post
get out to gigs, speak to bands and be prepared to work for free to get your foot in the door.
See I just don't get why you do that!

Live music scene, my first band was ChickenFoot (super group), pay £100/day, free hotels, free food, free transport, paid from day 1, no going out of my way to get work, the companies rang me.

a few years on nothing's changed one bit except I get paid more and do easier gigs. The concerts are only getting bigger and the public are buying as many tickets as ever.

Why ANYBODY would go so far out of their way to work on crap money in a dying industry with fewer and fewer customers with smaller and smaller budgets is completely beyond me.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealbigd View Post
See I just don't get why you do that!

Live music scene, my first band was ChickenFoot (super group), pay £100/day, free hotels, free food, free transport, paid from day 1, no going out of my way to get work, the companies rang me.

a few years on nothing's changed one bit except I get paid more and do easier gigs. The concerts are only getting bigger and the public are buying as many tickets as ever.

Why ANYBODY would go so far out of their way to work on crap money in a dying industry with fewer and fewer customers with smaller and smaller budgets is completely beyond me.
Damn right! Hats off to ye, but as a poor student it's hard work convincing a band of equally poor students that they should pay for you and studio time when they could record it in the singers kitchen and it would sound "probably not as good but good enough for us cos we like that raw sound anyway"

Thing is, once they've tried the singer's kitchen they're usually more open to suggestions next time around.

EDIT: Sorry TRBD I hadn't read all of the posts on here before I replied. Just for clarity I didn't mean for either of my posts to be inflammatory. Interesting how differently the live route works. I dabble (horrible word) and it's surprising how much easier it is to get paid for gigs. Record a local band and you might spend days recording, mixing, mastering...hard to get paid anything decent. Run sound for local clubs and they expect to pay you. Even those 2 hour DIY type gigs - small in-house setup. £30 plus free drinks for a few hours work. OK it's not a living but it's very different from the recording world...
Old 16th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sim View Post
Wow that was a bit much this only a forum and I correct the spellings because it's difficult in safari on a iPhone and I was in a rush sorry if that affends. I was going say it's you brought up theatre I chased up about the job I applied for and I've got it and also sorted out a permanent job in a session band. So hopefully I'll have a bit more experience before I head to London in a years time.
OK, I need to chime in. You need to prepare to pay your dues in this industry if you want to stand on the shoulders of giants and learn from people who made money in this industry for many years.

If you can't take the ribbing of people on an Internet forum, how the hell are you going to survive in the studio environment when you can be rode hard for not cleaning the floor in "the correct pattern" or filling out the session paperwork properly/legibly?

Do you know what the average career of a recording school graduate is in the audio field? It's 6 months, not years, it's months. Is it due to lack of knowledge of the gear or lack of enthusiasm or drive? No, it's due to not being able to thrive in the environment with long hours and crap pay when starting out.

You are all full of Pollyanna optimism now, a year away from even starting a yet to be found gig. Report back 6 months after you have landed a gig and pulled 36 hour sessions as a runner. That separates out the adults from the kids really quick.

Also, no one wants to know about your dyslexia or that you are using an iPhone. Those are bs excuses that no one will tolerate in a professional environment. This post was written on an iPhone by someone with dyslexia. Do you see any typos? No. It's called spell check! Use it and learn to re-read before hitting the post button just to make sure.

You are starting out in this industry. That means putting your best foot forward at all times, even with your peers. If you are that careless with a post, how does a potential employer know you will be careful with other small matters that if you screw them up will reflect badly on the business?

It's something to think about!
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorBonkers View Post
OK, I need to chime in. You need to prepare to pay your dues in this industry if you want to stand on the shoulders of giants and learn from people who made money in this industry for many years.

If you can't take the ribbing of people on an Internet forum, how the hell are you going to survive in the studio environment when you can be rode hard for not cleaning the floor in "the correct pattern" or filling out the session paperwork properly/legibly?

Do you know what the average career of a recording school graduate is in the audio field? It's 6 months, not years, it's months. Is it due to lack of knowledge of the gear or lack of enthusiasm or drive? No, it's due to not being able to thrive in the environment with long hours and crap pay when starting out.

You are all full of Pollyanna optimism now, a year away from even starting a yet to be found gig. Report back 6 months after you have landed a gig and pulled 36 hour sessions as a runner. That separates out the adults from the kids really quick.

Also, no one wants to know about your dyslexia or that you are using an iPhone. Those are bs excuses that no one will tolerate in a professional environment. This post was written on an iPhone by someone with dyslexia. Do you see any typos? No. It's called spell check! Use it and learn to re-read before hitting the post button just to make sure.

You are starting out in this industry. That means putting your best foot forward at all times, even with your peers. If you are that careless with a post, how does a potential employer know you will be careful with other small matters that if you screw them up will reflect badly on the business?

It's something to think about!
What he said in all senses.

Furthermore, really, rather than saying "Do you know what the average career of a recording school graduate is in the audio field?", I would actually go as far to say "Do you know what the average career field of a recording school graduate is, in general?" - because in the UK, it's RETAIL, followed by TEACHING. Music and Events are both below 10th. Yes - that means, the AVERAGE RECORDING SCHOOL GRADUATE does not leave university to work in a studio, or a stage.

As he said, beginners enthusiasm. That'll go away quickly and it'll be a chore as often as it's fun.
Quote:
I use do foh at a 400 cap venue and a 2 week community festival kind of thing we set-up the tents stages etc it's probably nothing like theatre but it's a taste and I enjoyed it alot enough to do for a living
Yeah when it's 2 weeks long or the odd night here and there it's great fun. When you're 3 hours into a 15 hour load out-into-in, and you're under a low stage passing moving lights out through the scaff at shoulder height (moving lights are a mega PITA to lift, as centre of gravity changes as you move it as does weight distribution) and your arms already ache and you're already tired and it's raining and it's cold; nobody finds it fun. You grit your teeth and get on with it. And THAT, is when it is essential that everyone is working at full capacity. It's not like doing a bit of 'sound engineering' at a small concert, this is real hard graft and when you mess it up, PEOPLE DO GET HURT. Petty excuses don't win you any friends here.
Old 17th September 2011
Here for the gear

I would like some advice. I'm currently studying first year graphic design, I'm 19 but been into making music for a year. I don't see myself doing graphics in the future anymore. Have made 10 or so tracks... I'm thinkin of possibly applying for music related experience, if I got any I'm thinkin of dropping the course and probably would.
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenuggets View Post
I would like some advice. I'm currently studying first year graphic design, I'm 19 but been into making music for a year. I don't see myself doing graphics in the future anymore. Have made 10 or so tracks... I'm thinkin of possibly applying for music related experience, if I got any I'm thinkin of dropping the course and probably would.
If you want my honest advice, I'll say don't bother. There's so few job opportunities, the chances are next to nothing and the investment, from a business point of view, is unlikely to succeed.

Do music in your spare time (it's what most bands did prior to being famous), and find something worthwhile and profitable to do for a job.

If music is the only thing you want to do, join a stage crew today and start doing load outs tomorrow; it's not the most fun but it does pay and it's a fairly essential step.
Old 25th October 2011
Thanks for the advice guys sorry the dyslexia thing that was out of line. I think the problem with me is what u b k said that i was unsure I think maybe I need to figure out exactly what i want to do but i guess what most people are doing at my age or maybe it's just me. Regards to moving to London it may open my eyes to the industry sort of thing and would probably lead to some experience that make or form what i decide to in the bigger picture.

I joined a stage crew and still no work yet for most of the crew! maybe a London crew will be a bit better.
Old 23rd November 2011
Gear Head

Sim,

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm progressing and looking to gain more experience recording/mixing/engineering/producing. I have more or less the same plan as you (but here in Austin). My view is that the best bet is to be awesome and be available. The less picky I am, if figure the more opportunities I'll get. Opportunities=Experience.

I've already had a few that turned out less than ideal, but developing a thick skin and learning to fail well are good attributes. Failure won't kill you. Dust off, get back in the game. Learn to be awesome.

In the end, if nothing comes of this, I gotta say it was my fault. Either I didn't try hard enough, I didn't want to sacrifice enough, etc. I'm prepared to do without a lot....sleep, food, money, gear. I'd rather be poor doing what I love, than spend the next 10 years working as a clerk.

At least you are doing this out of college. I waited till 34 to get serious. You got a leg up.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search