The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anyone know a college that awards legit MUSIC TECH degrees based on prior knowledge? Saturation Plugins
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear

Anyone know a college that awards legit MUSIC TECH degrees based on prior knowledge?

I know many of you will think this is silly, but I'm trying to find out possible ways of obtaining an accredited bachelor's degree based on prior knowledge... without actually attending three years of college.

My situation:

* I've recently done a CELTA course, giving me a well recognised qualification to teach English as a foreign language.
I obtained a 'pass B' grade, which supposedly puts me in the top 22% of the people who take the course. Apparently, colleges are fairly selective about who they allow onto this course in the first place.
My point in mentioning this is that I feel very confident to teach English as a foreign language.
However, visa requirements for teachers going to the places I would like to teach (ie Japan/Middle East) insist that candidates have a bachelor's degree.
Furthermore, most of the decent jobs teaching English here in the UK also insist on a degree.

* I have a pretty decent knowledge of Music Technology; I have over ten years experience of working in this field, I have worked in studios, done numerous courses on various aspects, read lots on the subject, and have a portfolio of work I have written & produced (including an original soundtrack to an 11 episode series on The Discovery Channel and a fair few of my own artist records released under several different labels).
Utilising this knowledge, combined with the teaching skills I have obtained from the CELTA course, I feel I would also quite like to teach Music Technology. The catch; virtually every job in this field asks for a bachelor's degree.

Essentially, I need a bachelors degree... but not for the knowledge I would glean from it; solely as a piece of paper to satisfy visa requirements/job specifications.

Now, this might sound a bit arrogant, but I'm fairly confident that I already know virtually everything that I would learn from a bachelor's degree in Music Technology. As stated above- I'd actually quite like to actually lecture on the topic!
So, I'm now looking into whether there is a way for me to get hold of a bachelor's degree in Music Tech, but without actually attending the course.

I can't afford either the time, or the extortive costs of enrolling in a conventional three-year university course, but even if I could, I feel it would just be a waste of time, since I would already know everything I need to know from what would be covered on an undergraduate course.

I've been doing some research, and I have read that there are a few colleges in the USA that can award legitimate, accredited bachelors degrees, based purely on what a candidate already knows. There are several different methods of doing this, but it mainly boils down to either sitting exams or creating portfolios to demonstrate the candidate's knowledge of the topic.
Cutting Online University Cost - Life Experience Degree | GetEducated.com
Can I Earn a Degree Based on Life Experience? - Christian Online Learning: Bible, College, Seminary Degrees
About the College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
Excelsior College - excelsior.edu
Thomas Edison State College
Charter Oak State College - Finish Your Degree Online
DSST - GetCollegeCredit.com
My problems with this are:
a.) None of the exams are remotely relevant to the topic I wish to ideally get my bachelor's degree in.
b.) These colleges are in the USA, and it would seemingly require me to travel to the USA to sit these exams.

So, my questions for you guys are:

1.) Does anyone know of anything similar to these aforementioned systems, only that include Music Technology as the subject?

2.) Does anyone know of anything similar to these (Allowing me to get a LEGITIMATE, ACCREDITED bachelor's degree, but based on knowledge I already have), but perhaps in other countries (Ideally the UK)?

3.) If not a bachelor's degree, how about something that can be converted to a bachelor's degree with a short course of further study- eg, if I could use prior knowledge to obtain something like a HND, that can then be 'topped up' to a degree with just one year of study (Thus saving me two years!)?

I know that some people will scoff at the idea of this type of degree, and it will probably not land me a six-figure salary on Wall Street... but again, all I really need is the certificate to satisfy visa requirements... so as long as it's accredited by a genuine, recognised body, that is all I care about!

Thanks.
Old 31st August 2011
I know Japan can get cranky and throw foreign english teachers out after about 7 years. So it may be an uphill struggle.
Old 31st August 2011

seeing as most bachelors require course work as well as exams I can't see way round this for you. The minimum time it would take would be a year - and that's if you can get on a full time TWO year degree (and there aren't many of those) and show that you have industry experience allowing you to skip the first year.

You could try looking into the OU - but I reckon those will be more like 5 year courses run part time. Degrees aren't just exams.

It's just possible that there ARE such degrees around ( I haven't heard of any and I used to lecture maths at university whilst studying for my PhD so I ought to be aware of them if they are common place) but you would STILL have to pay the fees.

Beware of many "accredited" degrees from the courses you have looked at. They carry no weight when looked into by third parties..... The USA has such a broad range of courses with the word "degree" attached to it. Many are full and great courses, but there is a lot of stuff from the USA and online which carries no weight at all.
Old 31st August 2011
urumita

think about an associates in some kind of film science
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7rojo7 View Post
think about an associates in some kind of film science
Ha, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
I know Japan can get cranky and throw foreign english teachers out after about 7 years. So it may be an uphill struggle.
Well, my wife is Japanese, so I shouldn't get 'kicked out'... but many of the schools do insist on a degree.

My mate in the same situation just lies, and gets away with it!

Still I thought if I can get one of these US 'test-out' degrees, it's better than just some fake certificate from a 'degree mill'!
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman View Post
seeing as most bachelors require course work as well as exams I can't see way round this for you. The minimum time it would take would be a year - and that's if you can get on a full time TWO year degree (and there aren't many of those) and show that you have industry experience allowing you to skip the first year.

You could try looking into the OU - but I reckon those will be more like 5 year courses run part time. Degrees aren't just exams.

It's just possible that there ARE such degrees around ( I haven't heard of any and I used to lecture maths at university whilst studying for my PhD so I ought to be aware of them if they are common place) but you would STILL have to pay the fees.

Beware of many "accredited" degrees from the courses you have looked at. They carry no weight when looked into by third parties..... The USA has such a broad range of courses with the word "degree" attached to it. Many are full and great courses, but there is a lot of stuff from the USA and online which carries no weight at all.

Thanks.

Well, it seems at least two colleges in the US allow degrees entirely based on 'test-outs'... with no study necessarily required.
Supposedly these are accredited.
According to this site-
'Two regionally accredited distance-learning colleges in the United States—Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey and Excelsior College of New York—operate primarily as assessment colleges. These two special colleges allow students to earn entire undergraduate degrees through credit for life and work experience options.'

It might not get me in to do my Master's at Harvard or M.I.T. ... but it might well be sufficient to tick the box on a visa application for Oman.
Old 31st August 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
It might not get me in to do my Master's at Harvard or M.I.T. ... but it might well be sufficient to tick the box on a visa application for Oman.
Sure - but thats my point; it's a little bit like SAEs accredited degrees.... they carry less weight and visa application bodies know it (well - they MIGHT not, depending on the particular visa nation, but seems like a risky way of doing things!!). They may not accept an accredited degree (as oppose to a full time or campus degree).

Check which of the accredited departments the Oman visa board will take (if any).
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Head

Ethical issues aside, you might want to rethink this entire idea or at least do a LOT of research to make sure whatever program you decide to do will indeed be recognized wherever you plan to go and that it won't come back to bite you in the ass at any point in the future.

Of course whatever you do is your personal choice, but I would seriously advise against this and just say put in the time and effort to get a degree in English or Education from a legitimate institution, especially if this is something you intend to do longterm. It might take a bit more time, but I would think the security would be worth it considering it's something you're staking your future on.

At any rate, good luck with whatever you plan to do. I hope it all works out...
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks guys... tbh, the bigger issue is just private schools in Japan.

I can actually get a visa easily as my wife is Japanese. Still, schools ask for a degree.

Now, I have a friend in Tokyo who is also married to a Japanese girl. Exactly the same situation. He is getting away with simply lying, and many places just assume you must have one to have even got a visa in the first place.
Still, I thought it would be worth looking into this to see if there is any option such as these colleges in New Jersey.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman View Post
it's a little bit like SAEs accredited degrees.
Coincidentally, I just stumbled on these SAE degrees. 2 years... 1 year if you already have their diploma.

This is exactly the type of thing I'm interested in finding out about.

It looks great... all apart from the £40k price tag.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Coincidentally, I just stumbled on these SAE degrees. 2 years... 1 year if you already have their diploma.

This is exactly the type of thing I'm interested in finding out about.

It looks great... all apart from the £40k price tag.
accredited by who ??
those degrees would not be accepted by any truly accredited uni in the usa for transfer/admission/etc.

you need to find out who oman and japan will accept
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

I recently did this. I had some college credits but had not finished a degree. I enrolled in the distance learning program at Charter Oak State College, and put together an Audio Engineering and Commercial Music Production Degree. You can propose your area of concentration, and then use what they call portfolios to make a case for your knowledge. Now...it's not a quick, painless way. You have to really do a specific portfolio package that proves you know what you claim you do. In fact, you take an 8 week class to learn how to put the portfolio together. Then, I finished whatever general ed I had left via DSST and CLEP tests. In the end, I got a fully accredited Bachelor's degree from a real university using some of my 25 plus years in audio production as some of the credits.

Kirt Shearer
Old 1st September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldeanalogueguy View Post
accredited by who ??
those degrees would not be accepted by any truly accredited uni in the usa for transfer/admission/etc.

For once, I agree with you!

I find the whole idea of a degree for doing no work laughable. I can see why you want one, and I'm not saying you're not good enough to get one - but part of the value of a degree is showing you can apply yourself for a length of time.
Old 1st September 2011
Totally seperate from your work / lication predicament (and sincere good luck with that) This puts me in mind of future "know it all" degrees.

I can imagine there would be a market for them too!!

Can you imagine?

Wow.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldeanalogueguy View Post
accredited by who ??

Both Thomas Edison & Excelsior are accredited by Middle States Commission on Higher Education... the same accrediting body as Colombia University, New York... which I believe is a pretty well respected college isn't it?

SAE's BA (Hons)/BSc (Hons) degrees are actually awarded by Middlesex University, London... which is a perfectly well recognised university here.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbshearer View Post
I recently did this. I had some college credits but had not finished a degree. I enrolled in the distance learning program at Charter Oak State College, and put together an Audio Engineering and Commercial Music Production Degree. You can propose your area of concentration, and then use what they call portfolios to make a case for your knowledge. Now...it's not a quick, painless way. You have to really do a specific portfolio package that proves you know what you claim you do. In fact, you take an 8 week class to learn how to put the portfolio together. Then, I finished whatever general ed I had left via DSST and CLEP tests. In the end, I got a fully accredited Bachelor's degree from a real university using some of my 25 plus years in audio production as some of the credits.

Kirt Shearer
Paradise Studios

Thanks!!

This is EXACTLY the type of info I was hoping to get from this thread!!

I'd already come across that Charter Oak State College.

Having read about this portfolio option, this was looking like the most feasible for my personal situation... It's good to hear from someone who's actually done it with 'an Audio Engineering and Commercial Music Production Degree'!!
Old 1st September 2011

Quote:
SAE's BA (Hons)/BSc (Hons) degrees are actually awarded by Middlesex University, London... which is a perfectly well recognised university here.

Yes - true enough. But...

Middlesex's endorsement of music tech courses is low brow - employers know that and raise eyebrows accordingly..... yes it's got to that stage since Blair decided everyone had to have a degree - now they ask "when and where?". SAE - done for money. That's the problem.

Accredited courses are looked upon with suspicion.

BUT - these may make no difference to your problem. As I say - just check first (especially with Oman).
Old 1st September 2011
Ryu
Gear Head

there are schools in japan that do not require a degree to teach english though there may not be many. i have a friend here in saitama who teaches english for a living without a degree. he's also married to a japanese girl so he has a valid visa. it's probably a lot easier to find a school like that if you're over here.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryu View Post
there are schools in japan that do not require a degree to teach english in though there may not be many. i have a friend here in saitama who teaches english for a living without a degree. he's also married to a japanese girl so he has a valid visa. it's probably a lot easier to find a school like that if you're over here.

Thanks!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search