The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anyone know a college that awards legit MUSIC TECH degrees based on prior knowledge? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
Thanks for your input.

According to this site-

'Two regionally accredited distance-learning colleges in the United States—Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey and Excelsior College of New York—operate primarily as assessment colleges. These two special colleges allow students to earn entire undergraduate degrees through credit for life and work experience options.'

... So it seems that at least two colleges in the US will allow accredited degrees entirely through 'test-out'/portfolio.
So far, I can't find anywhere else in the world that does the same.

To be honest, the issue of other subjects does not phase me in the slightest; I'm strong on general knowledge and I actually teach English.
I haven't done academic mathematics for a while, but I sat the higher paper & got a B grade at GCSE... I'm sure with a brief amount of prep I could get through what was necessary.
there is theory
and there is actuality

nobody , repeat nobody, ever tests out of everything.

unless you dropped out of your degree program one course short in biology (for example) and then invented some new hybrid plant that was disease proof (for example)

with one year of uni and a bunch of tests and portfolio evaluations you might get to the point of only 3-4 semesters more work at those two schools. contact them to see what is feasible.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm absolutely happy to pay to take the tests... The issues are:

1.) The tests I've found so far are about things like History of the North American Civil War, or Nursing... I can't find any tests about Digital Audio Recording, or Musical Instrument Digital Interface!

2.) The tests are held in New Jersey. It's not totally infeasible for me to travel there for this... but it is not exactly convenient... especially when the tests they have are totally irrelevant- as mentioned in point 1.

those may be irrelevant to you
but to the school they consider them vital
you will need to find a way to pass those types of courses via their test/portfolio/experience methods if you want the easy degree
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by atma View Post
i think you should start a school that does this so all of us can get an easy B.A.!
there are lots of them
but they are either
  • NOT accredited by a recognised authority
  • require you to sleep through the classes for 4 years
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

you fail to realize the point of a bachelors degree.
it isn't to train you in a specific field ...
it's to train you in a broad set of fields and in addition some specialization in one.
masters and doctorate progrmas are for training extensively in one field and that's where you can gain a degree for "life achievements" at a lot of them. they hand out honorary degrees all the time to people who never even ask for them if they make a substantial achievement.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sftd View Post
Otherwise, here in America anyhow, you're either going to have to go the route of what you've already listed, essentially paying to take a test, or you're going to have to attend unless you plan to get into law and which point you can pay to take the Bar exam at any point you so choose irregardless of schooling.
Wow! I didn't know there were still states that did the bar like that.

I should have just moved to Oklahoma and taken a bar review course. It would have been far less miserable than slugging through law school (and being in debt for the next decade) to take the bar here in Maryland.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-feld View Post
Wow! I didn't know there were still states that did the bar like that.

I should have just moved to Oklahoma and taken a bar review course. It would have been far less miserable than slugging through law school (and being in debt for the next decade) to take the bar here in Maryland.
I didn't know it was different from state to state, I was told that any Joe off the street could pay to take (and fail) the state bar exam. In hindsight since I never actually confirmed that or researched it is likely that at this point I am talking out of my ass and its my own fault for never investigating something some random person told me.

I'm probably the first person on this forum to ever do that.

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Maniac

To further the point that some people have made. A bachelors degree represents the ability to survive something that is long (years), difficult, risky (possible failure), and sacrificing. There is no easy way out...
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Why not get a BA in Japanese? Yes, this will take time and money, and will be harder than anything you've ever done. But the upside is tremendous. You'll have an honest-to-goodness marketable skill, and you'll be able to integrate (to a degree) into Japanese society, rather than remain a permanent outsider. And during your studies, you'll learn a LOT about a LOT of different things, few of which will be "useful" in a strictly utilitarian way, but many of which will make your mind a more interesting place to inhabit (if I may borrow the motto of a liberal arts college just outside of Philadelphia).

Think about it. Maybe you're at a crossroads of your life here. Taking the more arduous path may pay big dividends later.

Anyway, if you're under 30, I think you should really think about this. If you're over 50, well, maybe too late. Anywhere in between and it gets a bit more cloudy...
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I didn't know it was different from state to state, I was told that any Joe off the street could pay to take (and fail) the state bar exam. In hindsight since I never actually confirmed that or researched it is likely that at this point I am talking out of my ass and its my own fault for never investigating something some random person told me.

Actually, you may very well be correct. The rules from state to state vary greatly and up until the mid 20th century, it was like that in every state. I think it was somewhat common for people to just apprentice with a lawyer instead of going to law school and then take the bar when they were ready.

So I'm actually not that shocked if at least one state held onto that practice.

One weird thing I remember off the top of my head is that if you graduate from University of Wisconsin's Law School, you are automatically waived into the Wisconsin bar. You don't have to take the bar or anything.
Old 1st September 2011
Oop
Gear Addict

Yeah, I wouldn't suggest SAE. Especially, the degree is pointless.

Unfortunately, most of these courses are pointless. I learnt more on GS.

Have a look at Berklee Online. They give you credits. I'm sure you can do multiple courses at once. I'm not sure if you get a degree at the end of it, but you get a pile of credits and you don't need to go sit for lectures and might work out cheaper than the ripoff that is SAE.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

@olderanalogueguy,

Both Thomas Edison & Excelsior are accredited by Middle States Commission on Higher Education... the same accrediting body as Colombia University, New York... which I believe is a pretty well respected college isn't it?

SAE's BA (Hons)/BSc (Hons) degrees are actually awarded by Middlesex University, London... which is a perfectly well recognised university here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldeanalogueguy View Post
that is rare- very rare.
my son won a governors scholarship to UVA which let him pick the 120 credits he wanted to take. Everybody else has to take the mandatory requirements.
I'm guessing you are in the USA?
As already discussed, I think there are big differences between the education system in the USA & the UK... here in the UK, we go down to just 3 or 4 subjects at age 16 ('A' level), then ordinarily 1 or 2 subjects at age 18 (undergraduate degree)... I believe in the USA it's very generalised even up until you do a master's degree.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear
i just done my BA in music technology at the London College of Music. i know some people who started on the second year, mostly people who have worked in the industry. i guess you would fit into that, you would have to talk to them.

the thing with a degree it's only half based on your practical skills, the other half is about how you write essays and how well you can critically analyse your work. having a degree shows you have reached a standard academically. you have to earn it.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Reynolds View Post
i just done my BA in music technology at the London College of Music. i know some people who started on the second year, mostly people who have worked in the industry. i guess you would fit into that, you would have to talk to them.
Great info. Thanks!

Is that what was formerly Thames Valley Uni?

Quote:
the thing with a degree it's only half based on your practical skills, the other half is about how you write essays and how well you can critically analyse your work. having a degree shows you have reached a standard academically. you have to earn it.
Yep. Piece of p***. I've actually written an entire BA dissertation for someone before.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

With Japan you can only have one type of Visa -- it just makes sense to use your marital status. Your CLETA certification would probably stand alone as "specialized" training -- especially if you have three years or related work experience. I would go through an immigration lawyer though since that is what they do full time -- I would not risk doing the paperwork yourself. This Japanese lawyer really seems to know what they are doing -- just to get a consult would be worth the money. JAPAN : visa, immigration, working visa, spouse visa

As for applying to the UAE or something like that I would put something down like this:
2009 CLETA certification
2001 B.A. Southern Wales University, music technology

Send in the CLETA certificate but not the BA -- I doubt they check. the main key seems to be, in either case, work experience for at least 3 years. Just make sure the BA is from a place with few exchange students.

TEFL Jobs in the United Arab Emirates - Teach English in the United Arab Emirates

Personally I bet you would make more money as a DJ in Dubai and go there under a performer visa.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

I goto to MTSU right outside of Nashville and I know most of you are anti-college-blah-blah-analog-tube-warmth-snob ****ers I personally think anyone vaguely entertaining the thought that they have the ability to the test out of a worthanything Universities recording program has their head up their ass.

If someones looking for a B.A. in the industry, they aren't looking for someone who learned in their bedroom, or grew up inside a neve console, having to figure out its insides to find its way out, or who "just has some magic spark", they're looking for someone with a B.A. in the industry.

There's TONS of jobs/opportunities that don't require any college credit at all, and even in my program I'm pretty sure everyone knows the actual piece of paper means nothing, so if you already have the knowledge I wouldn't even bother.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwarzwald View Post
I goto to MTSU right outside of Nashville and I know most of you are anti-college-blah-blah-analog-tube-warmth-snob ****ers I personally think anyone vaguely entertaining the thought that they have the ability to the test out of a worthanything Universities recording program has their head up their ass.

If someones looking for a B.A. in the industry, they aren't looking for someone who learned in their bedroom, or grew up inside a neve console, having to figure out its insides to find its way out, or who "just has some magic spark", they're looking for someone with a B.A. in the industry.

There's TONS of jobs/opportunities that don't require any college credit at all, and even in my program I'm pretty sure everyone knows the actual piece of paper means nothing, so if you already have the knowledge I wouldn't even bother.
You might want to investigate whether your college offers an elementary English language course; your writing is illegible.

Thanks for your criticism anyway.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

hey....he's like the Shakespeare of Tennessee
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Just do what we in the IT industry do, get a group of engineers together and make your own bull**** certification.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
@olderanalogueguy,

Both Thomas Edison & Excelsior are accredited by Middle States Commission on Higher Education... the same accrediting body as Colombia University, New York... which I believe is a pretty well respected college isn't it?

SAE's BA (Hons)/BSc (Hons) degrees are actually awarded by Middlesex University, London... which is a perfectly well recognised university here.

I'm guessing you are in the USA?
As already discussed, I think there are big differences between the education system in the USA & the UK... here in the UK, we go down to just 3 or 4 subjects at age 16 ('A' level), then ordinarily 1 or 2 subjects at age 18 (undergraduate degree)... I believe in the USA it's very generalised even up until you do a master's degree.

yes they are accredited
and very unique if they do not require some classes on site.

as you note, all usa schools require a lot of irrelevant classes for a BA/BS.

Even MS will require some irrelevant courses.
And PhD will too if you consider that if you are doing algebraic topology for your specialty that you will also have to take analysis and algebra and other math classes for your various exams and maybe even in your final orals on your thesis where they can and do ask about anything just to rattle you.

i really doubt that even 0.1% of applicants can testout or use a portfolio/whatever to get out of all courses and take none at all at that NJ school.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CfNorENa View Post
Why not get a BA in Japanese? Yes, this will take time and money, and will be harder than anything you've ever done. But the upside is tremendous. You'll have an honest-to-goodness marketable skill, and you'll be able to integrate (to a degree) into Japanese society, rather than remain a permanent outsider. And during your studies, you'll learn a LOT about a LOT of different things, few of which will be "useful" in a strictly utilitarian way, but many of which will make your mind a more interesting place to inhabit (if I may borrow the motto of a liberal arts college just outside of Philadelphia).

Think about it. Maybe you're at a crossroads of your life here. Taking the more arduous path may pay big dividends later.

Anyway, if you're under 30, I think you should really think about this. If you're over 50, well, maybe too late. Anywhere in between and it gets a bit more cloudy...

BA still requires all the useless crap courses that suck up time.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

last time i looked you needed EITHER a degree in law or had worked for a law firm for several years to take the exam.

California let you take it with a mail order law degree.
All the others required an accredited degree to sit for the bar.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
BA still requires all the useless crap courses that suck up time.
Please define "useless."
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
last time i looked you needed EITHER a degree in law or had worked for a law firm for several years to take the exam.

All the others required an accredited degree to sit for the bar.
Well, I decided to get off my ass and do five minutes of research!

If you go here: Applications

And then click on:
Nunc Pro Tunc Registration and Exam Application

Which uses this as its description:

This application shall be filed by a person who has not registered as a law student but wishes to apply for the OK bar exam. The bar exam is administered on the last Tuesday and Wednesday in February and in July. Deadline is six months prior to date of examination. Late filing allowed for two months after deadline with payment of additional fee. To simplify the calculation of the due date, the February exam deadline is September 1 of the year preceding. The July exam deadline is February 1 of the current year.

You can then download the PDF format application, and see the subsequent cost of $800 to take the Bar exam with no correlation or attendance to law school or even any kind of post K-12 degree.

So, apparently the random person that informed me of this was right!

In Oklahoma, any random Joe can fill out this application, pay $800 dollars, and probably fail the bar exam!
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Great info. Thanks!

Is that what was formerly Thames Valley Uni?
yeah the LCM is a faculty in what was TVU. it's now called University of West London.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
yeah the LCM is a faculty in what was TVU. it's now called University of West London.
I always heard good things about TVU's music tech dept.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CfNorENa View Post
Please define "useless."

they are the crappy useless classes that you have zero interest in, have no value, waste your time, costs you tuition money, and have nothing to do with what you want to do or learn.

example
history, english, psychology, sociology, philosophy, physical education ("gym"), latin, chemistry, foreign languages, and so on, when you want electronics engineering, math, physics, acoustics, music, etc.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
The guitarist for Country Joe and The Fish (Barry Melton) studied for the Cali bar while on tour and he ended up becoming a public defender for many years.
Old 2nd September 2011
JES
Lives for gear

You can't have it both ways. No serious or prestigious program is going to give you a BA degree for being you. If you think learning in a range of fields is bull****, then a BA isn't for you.

There are probably fake mail-in programs that will sell you a piece of paper if that's all you need. That's not the worst option if you really only need the paper for a job. Just don't insult people with real educations who put in the time.

If you want to teach, wouldn't it make sense to spend some time in the presence of teachers and in classrooms? Sorta like listening to music if you want to make it. I've seen very smart and famous people fail spectacularly in a room of students. Repeatedly.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JES View Post
You can't have it both ways. No serious or prestigious program is going to give you a BA degree for being you. If you think learning in a range of fields is bull****, then a BA isn't for you.

There are probably fake mail-in programs that will sell you a piece of paper if that's all you need. That's not the worst option if you really only need the paper for a job. Just don't insult people with real educations who put in the time.

If you want to teach, wouldn't it make sense to spend some time in the presence of teachers and in classrooms? Sorta like listening to music if you want to make it. I've seen very smart and famous people fail spectacularly in a room of students. Repeatedly.
+1

A lot of employers want to see that you had the discipline and organization skills to actually do the work. Too many people just want to pay the money and get the piece of paper.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search