The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
"The Devil and Daniel Johnston"
Old 19th March 2006
Lives for gear

"The Devil and Daniel Johnston"

Just saw the trailer. It's great that this film got made. Anyone here work on it?

The guy's such a raw talent. He's like the Syd Barrett of his time.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony/d...nston/trailer/
Old 29th January 2007
Gear Addict

Just watched this last night. Pretty good documentary, but I don't know if I see all of the genius that everyone else seems to in Daniel's music. Maybe its just me.
Old 9th February 2007
Gear Addict

I watched this a few months back. Great doc.

His work is so honest & raw.
Old 15th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Its not the fact that he was genius. That wasn't it at all.

It was the fact that his music was so pure. Sooooo pure. You could tell everything about him from his music.

Although him being so troubled, he still a amazing artist.
Old 15th February 2007
Lives for gear

no no...he's a freak and many of his songs seriously flirt with genius..

the movie is pretty serious as well...

have a watch and let us know what you think max..
Old 27th February 2007
Lives for gear

what did you think max?
Old 4th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
but I don't know if I see all of the genius that everyone else seems to in Daniel's music. Maybe its just me.
You're not the only one.

Awful movie. When we start calling gifts of that calibur genius it's just silly. If you don't buy that there's any genius there, there's nothing to the film. It could be about any of the millions of mentally troubled people in America. I tuned in to see some musical genius...maybe I should inerpret that to mean absolutely nothing in the future.
Old 4th March 2007
Jax
Lives for gear

I found this movie disturbing for a few reasons. It's really hard to take an in-depth look at someone with serious mental illness. Infact, being placed in the middle of his life for a couple hours left me with mixed feelings.

I felt sorry for him, found some of his inability to relate almost humorous - until I realized he wasn't kidding. His illness led him to take other people's lives into his hands, which is another element that is hard to forgive or look past. I wanted to like and forgive him, but for every innocent or disabled (thus ignorant) action, there was an opposite part of him that was twice as confused and dark. How easy is it to relate to mentally ill people? I'm not saying the mentally ill should be forgotten, but it takes some work.

Musically, no, I don't agree that he was any kind of genius. The list of folks who believe otherwise is a little daunting though... David Bowie, Yo La Tengo, Sonic Youth, Beck, The Flaming Lips, Kurt Cobain. That he was discovered at a music festival in Austin somewhat explains why he stood out like a sore thumb, a novelty and a freak. In the 80's, MTV gave him his 15 minutes of fame, and before you knew it, his talent was completely blown out of proportion... like anything else on MTV to this day.

If there's genius there, I just don't hear it. For a troubled genius, I'll take Brian Wilson or Syd Barrett anyday.
Old 11th March 2007
Lives for gear

His got a talent for music - art. I loved the movie and I hope he will be alright!
Old 14th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
If there's genius there, I just don't hear it. For a troubled genius, I'll take Brian Wilson or Syd Barrett anyday.
I'll take robert crumb.....
Old 15th March 2007
Lives for gear

I saw this film finally.

What was really a little eerie was that when he played "Sorry Entertainer" I recognized him as someone who used to do shows with my old band back in the day. I never put it together that he was the "Casper" guy.

I think that band at the end of the film isn't doing him any favors.

But it's all fascinating nontheless.
Old 25th March 2007
Lives for gear

do a youtube search and marvel at how many halfwits cover his songs..

for my money he's on an equal standing with syd..syd had 2albums..maybe four if you count piper and the early singles..

if daniel had as thourough of an editor as syd you would all be much more impressed..

but i've listened to waaayy too many of his songs..

max just what exactly was your old band?
Old 28th March 2007
Lives for gear

he wrote some intensly beautiful strange and wonderful music..

at least every girlfriend i've ever had thinks so..

as do i...
Old 2nd January 2009
Gear Addict

Hello-
Old thread but just thought I'd mention I posted a couple sample mp3's the other day that have a couple Daniel tunes in it I recorded:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/work-...ve-studio.html

They were done live and it was a pretty bizarre and fast session. I think the whole thing happened in under an hour. He is an amazing visual artist as well. He drew a sketch of one of the people that was in the session with me in about 1 minute that was totally spot on. Pretty neat.

Thought folks might be interested..
Old 7th January 2009
Lives for gear

Lucky you got to work with him. I wish i could snatch one of those drawings
Old 16th January 2009
Lives for gear

For the record, I watched this again last night for the first time in 2 years (or so) and this movie is put together so well. Daniel really has some amazing people in his life
Old 21st January 2009
Gear Maniac

Great movie, great story, great artist.

I think whats interesting also is that he seemed to have invented the complete package of what 20 years later has become the indie/hipster scene. Lo fi acoustic recording with ironic lyrics and flimsy whiny vocals. His lo fi cartoonesque visual art style - its seen all over now from South Park and aqua teen hunger force to graphic design like the cover of the movie "Juno" or "Napolean Dynomite". Its all getting pretty annoying now, but you have to give the guy kudos for being a visionary.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search