The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Whistling
Old 19th August 2003
Lives for gear

Whistling

Are most experienced vocalists good at whistling too?

Does whistle practice develop breath and pitch control?
Old 20th August 2003
Gear Addict

I'm sure whislting is good for pitch practice, but not sure about breath. In my experience, whistling takes a lot less breath control and power than singing, which is one reason why i'm a much better whistler than singer.
Old 2 weeks ago
No clue...
Attached Thumbnails
Whistling-messages.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renie View Post
Are most experienced vocalists good at whistling too?

Does whistle practice develop breath and pitch control?
My perspective is from someone who didn't learn how to whistle until he was an adult; I would suggest that while there are some parallels, I'm not at all sure they are all that intuitive.

But one area where developing one's melodic whistling ability might prove helpful is in control of one's resonance cavities, so critical to melodic whistling -- and, so they say, to well modulated, controlled, tuneful singing.

If a singer doesn't learn to control those internal resonances and get them harmonically aligned with the notes one is trying to sing, his vocalism will come out (in a limited sense) as though it was run through a 'notch' tonal filter that only allows a narrow frequency bandwidth through. Such singing tends to produce the talk/sing style of a Dylan style vocalist. (Which is more or less where I'm stuck. )

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search