The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Photoshop for present
Old 1st March 2006
Lives for gear

Photoshop for present

Ok, so my girlfriend's birthday is coming up and I can't decide if I should get her a dooney and burke purse/wallet/whatever pack or Photoshop. She loves photography, but it's mostly a hobby as she has no professional interest. She has Photoshop Elements and she loves using it and talks about the "real" Photoshop quite a bit.

It's 700 bucks so what can it actually DO? I know very little about photography...She has a cheapo digital camera and a mid-level nikon that isn't digital(what the hell's the opposite of a digital camera? analog heh ?) Would Photoshop be beneficial to regular pictures or is it mainly for digital stuff? Thanks for any feedback, guys!
Old 1st March 2006
Lives for gear

Photoshop is equally good for digital or analogue photos.

It's how you get them into the computer that's different.

Digitial is normally quick and easy.

Film is harder. Scanning, or get your film put to disc by a photo lab.
Old 1st March 2006
Lives for gear

photoshop is the worldwide standard for picture processing.
many many functions and possibilities.
for her nikon she would need a a scanner to digitize the pictures or the negatives.
Old 1st March 2006
Gear Head

the opposite of digital is film

She wouldn't need just any scanner.. she would need either a really really high quality flat bed.. or a negative scanner.

Photoshop is definitely a great program, I use it often ( http://draddy.deviantart.com/gallery/ ) however I don't know how helpful it will be. It would almost be worth more to help her buy a better camera. or better yet, get an origional digital rebel, (not the XT) those can usually be found for 600-900 with lens, and such. with a real camera, and elements, she could do, and learn a lot more than with a crap camera and CS.
Old 1st March 2006
Lives for gear

Word.

A better digi cam would be 2nd step.

PSD would be 3rd step.

1st step would be cothes/jewellry/purse etc.

IMHO. But, that's just me.
Old 1st March 2006
Gear Maniac

Get her the physical stuff, and "download a la bittorrent" PS 7 or whathave you.

Yeah whatever, here come the boos. But for someone just messing around with PS and personal digital photos I see no need to throwdown 700 for it. Or really any amount of money over $75.
-Nick
Old 1st March 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickp
Get her the physical stuff, and "download a la bittorrent" PS 7 or whathave you.

Yeah whatever, here come the boos. But for someone just messing around with PS and personal digital photos I see no need to throwdown 700 for it. Or really any amount of money over $75.
-Nick
but see that's not your choice. it is illegal to ILLEGALLY download software. nomatter how you justify it in your head.

if you don't want to spend 700 bucks on CS, buy something cheeper, get elements, or photosuite or whatever its called. or better yet, get that opensource photoshop clone.

you cannot justify doing something illegal.

I also agree, get the purse.
Old 1st March 2006
Lives for gear

Might as well steal the Dooney and Burke too.
Attached Thumbnails
Photoshop for present-winona.jpg  
Old 1st March 2006
Lives for gear

If she isn't shooting professionally then a better camera would help her develop more as a photographer. Unless there is something specific that she needs photoshop to do that elements doesn't, then she probably doesn't need the full version of photoshop.

If she has good compositional skills, more camera will probably improve her photography, as it will introduce more camera function into the equation... more camera could also make everything more complex too...(functionally, not compositionally)

I was seeing someone who was into photography, and she did wonderful things with the photo editor built into windows office. However, once she acquired a better camera her photos started to look less like snapshots, and more like photo art. It was at that point that she needed more, so she picked up a full version of photoshop.
Old 2nd March 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guarnanene
but see that's not your choice. it is illegal to ILLEGALLY download software. nomatter how you justify it in your head.

if you don't want to spend 700 bucks on CS, buy something cheeper, get elements, or photosuite or whatever its called. or better yet, get that opensource photoshop clone.

you cannot justify doing something illegal.

I also agree, get the purse.
I'm not going to go into it and start some huge war. It's not illegal to suggest to download it. OMG INTERNET POLICE TIME BREAK DOWN ON ME LIKE YAHOO DOES CHINESERS. Because as we all know, his girlfriend is making ****mounds of cash from photography and it's her mealticket.
-Nick
Old 2nd March 2006
Gear Guru

software is such a problematic gift - maybe the purse is more romanitc but if she is the kind of woman who would love Photoshop keep in mind:

Photoshop is a massive program. Perhaps she has a flair for it and has already exhausted the possibilites of Elements, but if not, she might find herself "at sea" with this huge complicated program and having to teach herself how to use it.

I highly recommend the Adobe Classroom in a Book series. I used it as a text for a course I taught. Excellent book and it comes with neat fun exercises on disk. It would also work well for self-teaching. Another idea would be to include a course at a local commuinty college if the scheduling works out for her.

You should be able to get the program much cheaper than the $700 list price- either as an upgrade from Elements ($299 I saw somewhere) or you could find a source for Academic pricing which you would qualify for if you have any kind of link to a school- if you took a course for example.

Some companies like Wacom offer a discounted price on Photoshop if you buy one of their hardware devices, like a tablet.
Old 2nd March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm not going to go into it and start some huge war. It's not illegal to suggest to download it. OMG INTERNET POLICE TIME BREAK DOWN ON ME LIKE YAHOO DOES CHINESERS. Because as we all know, his girlfriend is making ****mounds of cash from photography and it's her mealticket.
-Nick
Fine. If you're gonna do it you're gonna do it.

It's also ok to download music without paying, seeing as how very few of us make any money at all from listening to music.

Everyone knows rock musicians are buried up to their coke spoons in money anyway.
Old 3rd March 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
Fine. If you're gonna do it you're gonna do it.

It's also ok to download music without paying, seeing as how very few of us make any money at all from listening to music.

Everyone knows rock musicians are buried up to their coke spoons in money anyway.
I buy records. CDs are way overpriced (14 or more/album, come on), and especially now with rootkits, and even more technology that may ban me from burning the cd onto my computer and then putting it onto my MP3 player (because cds get scratched easily, cd players eat up batteries, cds are larger than my mp3 player, and skip) yeah, **** that. I spent the past year making mixtapes (yes, two turntables, a mixer, and my records) for use in my tape player. I bet the RUAA wants me in court for not paying a club/bar licensing fee because my roommate was in the same room as the speakers.

Blame is always thrown on the consumer, and people seem to shy away from the larger record labels (the main ones bitching). All the label advance banking bull****, their lack of care for anything other than a one-hit wonder for most of their artists, overpricing the **** out of a cd (didn't they say those prices would go down...years ago?), and their mergers. Not to mention contracts limiting artists creativity. Testgroups? "I'm sorry, but you know, the testgroup comprised of some cool looking people we randomly picked off of the streets weren't really feeling your 'bangin beats'. We at Sony suggest you maybe..hrmm..put some electric guitars in it. Hey maybe we can get Fergie to join your group and throw down some raps?"

Hasn't it been shown that artists make far more money from touring than from any form of album sales? I download an mp3 or an album, dig it, and go support them by seeing them live- the ultimate form of hearing music. It always has been, and always will be. Nothing will ever replace the live aspect. No ****ty live albums, dvds, etc. Nothing.

I think this becomes more of a labels wanting to keep their green and throwing pressure on artists issue, rather than an artist issue. I don't know about you, but I like my ability to put out any music I want, not being pressured to spend (oh baby, it's a label advance, you'll make that back hundred-fold!) 100k for a music video, and my employer actually caring about my career.

And not having to literally perform fellatio in interviews, on MTV, etc etc. That's always nice.

-Nick
Old 3rd March 2006
Lives for gear

So today she tells me she wants to get into logo/banner making stuff for bands/artists, etc... . Maybe there is a cheaper program than Photoshop out there?

I have NO ****ing idea what kind of purses she's into, so I'll probably take her out to SF and let her go ape then take her out for a nice dinner...and possibly get my present later heh
Old 3rd March 2006
Lives for gear

Fireworks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope209
So today she tells me she wants to get into logo/banner making stuff for bands/artists, etc... . Maybe there is a cheaper program than Photoshop out there?
Macromedia Fireworks. Photoshop will still do banners (Image Ready).

FWIW - there won't be much cheese to be made doin banner's for bands. You think it's hard getting a good rate for recording!
Old 3rd March 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope209

Why not Photoshop Elements? less than $100 - I am not sure what the limitations are, but It has always been way more than I ever needed.
Old 3rd March 2006
photoshop doesn't help her if she uses a crappy camera. so maybe a good camera would be much more worth to her. you might have a friend that can *opy it (it wasn't me here writing ) for her until she can buy it. maybe she will discover that she won't need the big version.
Old 5th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:

And not having to literally perform fellatio in interviews, on MTV, etc etc. That's always nice.
I agree with you, mostly. I haven't bought a CD in years. LP's only unless something's not available, then I download it from iTunes; usually that stuff is for the car anyway.

I think one reason Adobe hasn't protected Photoshop more agressively is that they want people to "borrow" it and get hooked. Incedentally, they do go into ad agencies and what not to make sure there are enough licenses on the premises. My girlfriend does retouching and color-management for Iris printing companies and she has to make sure all the licenses are in place before she goes to work on a project.
Old 5th March 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
I agree with you, mostly. I haven't bought a CD in years. LP's only unless something's not available, then I download it from iTunes; usually that stuff is for the car anyway.

I think one reason Adobe hasn't protected Photoshop more agressively is that they want people to "borrow" it and get hooked. Incedentally, they do go into ad agencies and what not to make sure there are enough licenses on the premises. My girlfriend does retouching and color-management for Iris printing companies and she has to make sure all the licenses are in place before she goes to work on a project.
Exactly. Adobe PS is THE standard. Now think about how many companies, school districts, colleges/universities, trade schools, art institutes, government areas, and grocery store "re-touching" photo departments carry it and pay for so many seperate copies as to stay legal if ever asked.

If I ever did graphic design/any field where PS is necessary for money I wouldn't even think about if to buy it or not. Losing a client because you run a hacked version would suck both financially and reputation-wise. Using it to photoshop ****** pictures, auto-level pictures to send to people, etc etc. Allowing amatuers and the like easy access to it will keep it the norm if and when they ever decide to start working in an industry after it sparks their interest.
Old 24th February 2013
Lives for gear

Photoshop is not the standard for Digital photography, Lightroom is.

Get her a better DSLR first. Most come with pretty decent free photo manipulation software. I think the Canon software is the best, called digital photo professional. This is more than enough for a beginner photographer. Then Lightroom.
Old 24th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by choond View Post
Photoshop is not the standard for Digital photography, Lightroom is.

Get her a better DSLR first. Most come with pretty decent free photo manipulation software. I think the Canon software is the best, called digital photo professional. This is more than enough for a beginner photographer. Then Lightroom.
2nd this !
Get her a Canon T2i (550d) if you want to go the photography present .

There are budget photo software out there , not sure though I use the free Canon DPP .
I hear GIMP being used by some on the photog forums .
Old 24th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yago View Post
2nd this !
Get her a Canon T2i (550d) if you want to go the photography present .

There are budget photo software out there , not sure though I use the free Canon DPP .
I hear GIMP being used by some on the photog forums .
I agree, that's a really excellent camera and especially good value now. I'm using a Canon 5d mk2, 50D, and a micro 4/3 kit as well.

Just a thought, a female might really love a smaller DSLR, say in the micro 4/3 range. They are lighter cameras, very cute as well. Olympus has the OM-D and Pen range. Panasonic has the the G3/GX1.
Old 25th February 2013
Lives for gear

You have noticed this thread is 7 years old? Right guys?

Anyway, gifts for women? Stay away from software, things for the house, etc, etc. You're pushing it getting her some deodorant
You only buy these if she specifically asks you to.

You need to be listening to the lady, she may be dropping subtle hints here and there, she might have suggested shopping and you thought food when she actually meant gifts. Tread carefully

Spend as much as you can afford, saving enough for the evening meal.

It's hell out there, good luck
Old 25th February 2013
Lives for gear

Holy necro Batman !

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search