The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
VSE forum: anyone had issues with moderators playing God? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

VSE forum: anyone had issues with moderators playing God?

I recently participated on a discussion on VSE about MS2000 vs Prophet 08 where I expressed my opinion that the latter can sound very good with some programming tips whereas I don't like the sound of the Korg. So not replying to anyone, just because I know some people hate the P08 sound I made a general statement that: "I love my Tetra...whoever says it doesn't sound good, seriously need to learn some programming tips..."

So a clever mod replied:

"_I'd say you need to learn some programming tips for the MS2000". I really thought this was rude and replied:

"_Really? Well thank you for being so rude...". The answer I got was:

"_It's rude when I say it but not when you do? How does that work?". So I replied:

"_It works like this: I haven't insulted anyone personally, I just did a general statement. But you insulted me directly". And the answer:

"_I insulted you personally by suggesting that the MS2000 can sound good with the right programming? That's a good one.

A word of advice, there may be people in this world that have a differing opinion to you, try not to get offended every time you read an opinion you disagree with. Also going to a forum and attempting to pick fights with everyone, including mods, might not be the wisest use of your time."

So the man tried to make me look as I was crazy or ego prick or something!!! Plus I received a PM from another mod saying this:

"The following is a warning which has been issued to you by an administrator or moderator of this site.

Your behavior here is completely out of line. Stop posting in the thread if you can't find any constructive comments."

So that was it: I'll never EVER post again on that forum. Those people's behavior is simply disgraceful...I just wanted to share that...
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

I think the trick is to not be offended (no one cares, honestly) but instead insist that you consider his reply pointless/dumb/whatever (making him look bad if people agree).
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectwoofer View Post
…So that was it: I'll never EVER post again on that forum. Those people's behavior is simply disgraceful...I just wanted to share that...
feel free not to share next time.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogberto View Post
feel free not to share next time.
feel free not to read next time! thumbsup
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

mildest internet spat ever
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhollmusik View Post
mildest internet spat ever
Maybe, but I write to so many fora and never got a PM from a mod telling "my behavior is completely out of line" for such a small reason...this is hilarious! Or maybe on VSE posters don't have any freedom of speech...
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

I remember when I was a Mod at HC I tried to adhere to the rule of making light of any potential nasty situation. But sometimes people won't budge and its better to just change the subject with a joke or beg to differ with a smiley.

From what you wrote, I think the Mod was a bit OTT to be honest.

A Mods task is to moderate situations in an unbiased fashion, try and breakup potential trouble and enforce what ever that particular forums rules dictate.

A Mod has absolutley no higher/superior 'opinion' on thread subjects than any other poster.

That VSE Mod needs to realise that imo, as you clearly said/did nothing wrong.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

go hang out at the Homerecording forum...those SO CALLED mods SUCK....
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

The OP does lead me to a more pertinent point which is the nature of moderations and freedom of speech/censorship on internet messageboards.

I am a member of two unrelated to music (sport) message boards, one is great, the other is something more akin to **** Germany or Stalin USSR. You cannot question a moderators opinion or anything like that. If a moderator takes offence to a post, or you have been slightly aggressive to another member, of your reply to a moderators PM is anything but apologetic, you will get banned. Its actually ridiculous. You must obey their rules, (they have drawn up a Code of Conduct which all members must adhere too). Falure to comply or a breach of any of the hundreds of rules gives you a warning or instant ban.

The internet should never be like that.
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
I recently participated on a discussion on VSE about MS2000 vs Prophet 08 where I expressed my opinion that the latter can sound very good with some programming tips whereas I don't like the sound of the Korg. So not replying to anyone, just because I know some people hate the P08 sound I made a general statement that: "I love my Tetra...whoever says it doesn't sound good, seriously need to learn some programming tips..."

So a clever mod replied:

"_I'd say you need to learn some programming tips for the MS2000". I really thought this was rude and replied:

"_It's rude when I say it but not when you do? How does that work?". So I replied:

"_It works like this: I haven't insulted anyone personally, I just did a general statement. But you insulted me directly". And the answer:

"_I insulted you personally by suggesting that the MS2000 can sound good with the right programming? That's a good one.

A word of advice, there may be people in this world that have a differing opinion to you, try not to get offended every time you read an opinion you disagree with. Also going to a forum and attempting to pick fights with everyone, including mods, might not be the wisest use of your time."

So the man tried to make me look as I was crazy or ego prick or something!!! Plus I received a PM from another mod saying this:

"The following is a warning which has been issued to you by an administrator or moderator of this site.

Your behavior here is completely out of line. Stop posting in the thread if you can't find any constructive comments."

So that was it: I'll never EVER post again on that forum. Those people's behavior is simply disgraceful...I just wanted to share that...
Who cares? What is this kindergarden?
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
Who cares? What is this kindergarden?
Another witty poster... Keep on the nice work!thumbsup
Old 2nd January 2011
Don't feel bad. I got banned from a local fishing forum a couple of months ago.

First I posted this picture in a thread about encountering beavers while fishing near the river.

A few guys had already made beaver jokes and the mod sent me a PM with an "infraction". Said I should "respect the ladies that frequent the forum". It's a fishing forum in Ohio.... there's probably about 3 women total. Let's face it, a fishing forum is a sausage fest.

So I posted this picture and said: "My apologies to the women of the forum."

He didn't really find that very funny and sent me another "infraction".

So even though politics is completely restricted in the forum, somebody posted a sappy pro-war "support our troops" poem and everybody was gushing all over it until I pointed out that it was actually political propaganda and I found it offensive.

I pointed out the hypocrisy of the moderators and how anti-war/corrupt govt. posts were considered "political" and immediately removed but pro-war political propaganda managed to stay.

Then I was banned.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid_emu View Post

First I posted this picture in a thread about encountering beavers while fishing near the river.

A few guys had already made beaver jokes and the mod sent me a PM with an "infraction". Said I should "respect the ladies that frequent the forum". It's a fishing forum in Ohio.... there's probably about 3 women total. Let's face it, a fishing forum is a sausage fest.

So I posted this picture and said: "My apologies to the women of the forum."

He didn't really find that very funny and sent me another "infraction".

So even though politics is completely restricted in the forum, somebody posted a sappy pro-war "support our troops" poem and everybody was gushing all over it until I pointed out that it was actually political propaganda and I found it offensive.

I pointed out the hypocrisy of the moderators and how anti-war/corrupt govt. posts were considered "political" and immediately removed but pro-war political propaganda managed to stay.

Then I was banned.
LMAO... this is funny.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

So a clever mod replied:

Just to say mate, I can fully empathise with your indignation. From what you've said, I don't feel you did anything wrong, and seems that mod behaved like a ****
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Head

I don't usually post here but this made me laugh...

You are right about the mods over there - they definitely go on power trips. Just look at the 11 sub forums for a place that gets like 20 posts a day (far less than a few years ago before the current regime/practices) - they obsessively lock, delete and move posts around to suit their ocd whims. It makes navigating the forums a massive hassle.

Also, it's pretty funny that the spat was over a ms2000 vs. po8 thread - can you really even compare the two fairly?

And, you are also right about the ms2000 - it does sound like crap (but, I also don't like the new dsi stuff either!)!
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

So a clever mod replied:

I have the feeling that the mod was right.

You can program the ms2000 to sound nice.

Or the microkorg, which has the same engine.

Take it easy.

Mods can sometimes overestimate their importance in life.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

So a clever mod replied:

I dont think you are rude , and I dont think the mod have been rude to you either, from what you post.

I dont see any issue.

Personally I am a hothead character, with strong opinions and I can be quite harsh when annoyed. But I am never rude , maybe some rare times. I think that anyone can have his opinion and people should respect not the opinion but the fact that he has one.

I also think that this forum is actually , one of the best I have been a member of. Don and Reptil do very good job and they are actually quite knowledgeable guys who can help with questions. So they dont just moderate they also breath life to this forum.

Flat Earth did an amazing job with HC as well, the best moderator I have ever known. And I have to say here, that I am not very good with moderator and people of authority. I have picked a fight more than one of them. I got banned, and the actually did me a very good favour, as their forum was going downhill.

Being a moderator is certainly no easy task, and I think the vast majority of posters here, even with one I strongly disagree, have been very polite and this is an overall a very nice forum with tons of useful information.

Of course being a member is always your choice , but sometimes you have to be abit flexible with people. Its extremely easy to be misunderstood in the net.

Thanks for voicing your concerns maybe you can discuss with the mod directly and see if there is really a disagreement. As I said it is easy to be misunderstood.
Old 2nd January 2011
I understand both points of view...but it seems the mod went at him unnecessarily aggressively - a mod should defuse rather than incite IMO.

It does seem pretty cold over these these days. A good few years ago I remember a much better time before it was fragmented (you cannot talk about this or that) and the moderators were much less aggro.

I had a little infarction there last year - pretty unneccessary PM threatening me, I received for some very mild banter...the tone there is really authoritarian...too much for me its like walking into my right-wing conservative grandparents sitting room whist they are playing bridge or something...

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid_emu View Post

Then I was banned.
HAHA - good value banter...

To be clear - I recognise the need for moderation - but not so much its stifling...
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Another witty poster... Keep on the nice work!thumbsup
I wasn't trying to be witty man. You come here on gearslutz telling us about something that happened on on another website about how some mods told you need to learn how to program the ms2000 and disrespected your legendary analog hustle with the... tetra synth.

Howwwww exactly did you think people would ****!ng care about this?????
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I wasn't trying to be witty man. You come here on gearslutz telling us about something that happened on on another website about how some mods told you need to learn how to program the ms2000 and disrespected your legendary analog hustle with the... tetra synth.

Howwwww exactly did you think people would ****!ng care about this?????
As you can see from all the posts above this one, people seem to care and are willing to discuss...no-one forced you to participate on this conversation, or am I wrong??
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilon View Post
I also think that this forum is actually , one of the best I have been a member of. Don and Reptil do very good job and they are actually quite knowledgeable guys who can help with questions. So they dont just moderate they also breath life to this forum.

Thanks for voicing your concerns maybe you can discuss with the mod directly and see if there is really a disagreement. As I said it is easy to be misunderstood.

I also find this forum the best too...it's by far my favorite one and most discussions are so constructive and useful! And I LOVE our mods!!!thumbsup
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
As you can see from all the posts above this one, people seem to care and are willing to discuss...
Oh I bet they losing sleep over this ''travesty'' of justice.
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
I also find this forum the best too, it's by far my favorite one and most discussions are so constructive and useful!
Like this one.

So constructive...

So useful...
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Like this one.

So constructive...

So useful...
fuuck
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Like this one.

So constructive...

So useful...
Troll.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeProducer View Post
I have the feeling that the mod was right.

You can program the ms2000 to sound nice.

Or the microkorg, which has the same engine.

Take it easy.

Mods can sometimes overestimate their importance in life.
I'm not disagreeing with your point... but this is not where projectwoofer's issue lies.
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
I'm not disagreeing with your point... but this is not where projectwoofer's issue lies.
Cry me a river. Some guy posted something on another forum about some synthesizer some mod on that forum addressed him personally and said he needs to learn to program an ms2000 the guy cried foul like are u talkin to me biatch and got an infraction. Oh. No. Now we will never get to the bottom of this.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Cry me a river. Some guy posted something on another forum about some synthesizer some mod on that forum addressed him personally and said he needs to learn to program an ms2000 the guy cried foul like are u talkin to me biatch and got an infraction. Oh. No. Now we will never get to the bottom of this.
LOL, this guy is so amusing! Thanks a lot man, you really helped me cheer up, honestly!thumbsup
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
LMAO :-)

Would you by any chance happen to be a moderator on the VSE forum? heh

Nice trolling skills
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
LOL, this guy is so amusing! Thanks a lot man, you really helped me cheer up, honestly!thumbsup
I've just realised that this guy is some kind of forum joker:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...s-similar.html
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search