The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
EQ Article Multi-Ef­fects Plugins
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

EQ Article

So, as promised I wrote up a piece on EQ.

Equalization: Hear Me Out | theProAudioFiles.com

It was pretty stream of consciousness - so if you lambaste the content or writing I won't be offended.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

I liked it Thought provoking and personal experience driven, rather than repeating a bunch of textbook knowledge.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Good article.
Not ground breaking but still a good read.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks.
Old 4th January 2011
EQ Article

Only few parts that I would talk about different, but who am I..., but good non tech article.

But about sound being eq'd & other factors such as the inherient charastics of any gear is different. Eq is used to make up for what the sound lacks or have to much of naturally captured. And also to compensate for whatever gear it runs thru does to it. So in part the non eq gear imposes tonal changes, not per se "eq'd".

And the next is the peak notch sweep to find nasty freq areas. I find it very helpful. Just don't go crazy on the cuts. At first I would boost, find nasties & cut all the way at that narrow q. Then realized not always works. Smaller cuts with attention to Q.

The types and purposes eq would be good to cover & how to test your analog eq.

And masking, your right, but you gotta listen if it rubs good or bad.

What is a binary beat? How do they occur?
"I hear a "cellphone?" ringing sometimes, but when I solo all the tracks individually I don't?!?!"
**I find that taking place in live recordings more than all keys/dr machines.

Sometimes I wish I was like Spock, do the Vulcan mind meld to help out totally clueless upstarts & neck pinch some!! Haha!!! I sometimes forget how priceless just time spent "truly" working or learning is.
Old 9th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoLeoLeo View Post
Only few parts that I would talk about different, but who am I..., but good non tech article.

But about sound being eq'd & other factors such as the inherient charastics of any gear is different. Eq is used to make up for what the sound lacks or have to much of naturally captured. And also to compensate for whatever gear it runs thru does to it. So in part the non eq gear imposes tonal changes, not per se "eq'd".

And the next is the peak notch sweep to find nasty freq areas. I find it very helpful. Just don't go crazy on the cuts. At first I would boost, find nasties & cut all the way at that narrow q. Then realized not always works. Smaller cuts with attention to Q.

The types and purposes eq would be good to cover & how to test your analog eq.

And masking, your right, but you gotta listen if it rubs good or bad.

What is a binary beat? How do they occur?
"I hear a "cellphone?" ringing sometimes, but when I solo all the tracks individually I don't?!?!"
**I find that taking place in live recordings more than all keys/dr machines.

Sometimes I wish I was like Spock, do the Vulcan mind meld to help out totally clueless upstarts & neck pinch some!! Haha!!! I sometimes forget how priceless just time spent "truly" working or learning is.
And this is why you should write more. I think those points expand the value of what I wrote. Maybe post this up on the actual article on the site?
Old 9th January 2011
Lives for gear

like dropping a blade of grass choosing a club for sand or driver for long range

eq is kinda like playing with a remote control ball that can get it 20 percent there

a good article kinda sums it up
Old 14th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by big country View Post
like dropping a blade of grass choosing a club for sand or driver for long range

eq is kinda like playing with a remote control ball that can get it 20 percent there

a good article kinda sums it up
Your metaphors have made my head explode!

I'm more of a mini-golf guy myself

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search