The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I quit smoking! Special Ef­fects Plugins
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

I quit smoking!

i'll be 2 weeks in on tuesday. let me just start by saying that withdrawals suck really bad(depression, hopelessness, lightheadedness etc...).

the good news is that as the days go by, i feel better and better, and today's my best day so far.

i'm actually VERY, VERY excited about being smoke free after 13 years of the hideous nicotine curse!

fuuck and dfegadcigarettes!
Old 26th December 2010
as someone who watched his Mother and Father die from emphysema, I congratulate you, STAY WITH IT
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
as someone who watched his Mother and Father die from emphysema, I congratulate you, STAY WITH IT
thanks Lou, i definitely will. my 1 year old son is my inspiration. i've tried quitting before, but never have i been so utterly dedicated. i can say with complete confidence that i'm absolutely done with smoking!
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

thumbsup
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

The first 2/4 weeks are the hardest,it gets easier as the memory of them starts to fade, you know your on the road when you start to smell them and think... ugh they stink !!
Old 26th December 2010
more money for gear! yeah baby!
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

malaclypse, first let me congratulate you!!

I've been smoking since I want to say 13/14, quit recently the day our 3rd child was born back on June 2nd, and haven't smoked a puff of a cigarette since!!

Stay at it brother!!

There will be times where you want to have a taste, or just one, or maybe just have one with a drink.

IME everytime I went back to cigarettes I regretted it almost immediately. There's nothing better than when folks go out for that smoke to stand out with them and give em hell.

You don't need cigarettes, grab some sunflower seeds, some jolly ranchers, carrots and celery whatever the hell you need to do to make it happen.

Tagging this thread for my own daily affirmations
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Congrats dude!!! heh
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Guru

I am proud of you......look what I have lost !!!

1. I lost a dad last april
2. a brother inlaw in 9 weeks
3. now my brother has throat cancer, he has had treatment but his voice is gone for good.
4. A friend within 10 weeks after finding out.

I have loss special people that I love due to smoking, people get killed everyday in car accidents, smoking is not accident, its a choice.....You made the right one.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Well over a year smoke free over here. Do yourself a favor--read "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" by Allen Carr.

I, too, was craving, feeling lost, and like my life would never be quite as good without smoking, but this book was a tremendous help.

Best of luck, and congrats!!
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict

CONGRATULATIONS ! thumbsupthumbsup
you've made the best choice in your life !
you're doing your body a favor.
Best wishes for you !
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

thanks everyone for the kind words and encouragement!
i encourage anyone who's thinking about quitting to go for it. it'll be rough at first(i'm still there), but if you suck it up and stick it out, your world will change for the better.

Lou and AllAboutTone, i'm sorry about your losses. i definitely know what its like, and how difficult it is to share the experience. thanks.

i will keep coming back to thread for support.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Good job man!

Smoking sucks...

I hate that smoking is a habit that effects the air that others breath. Did you know that in the average apartment complex there are a number of families that have children breathing second hand smoke because the lower level neighbors smoke and that smoke rises into the open windows of the apartment above? This is still allowed in most places in the U.S. even though it has been categorically proven that 2nd hand smoke causes lung cancer. This is absolutely ridiculous in my opinion. Any habit that effects others without their consent is totally wrong.
Old 27th December 2010
Here for the gear

hi Allabouttone..
very sorry about your relatives and friends.. what you have stated is true..
life is all about living.. if some losses occurs it's an accident, so do you want to take those voluntarily!!!
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear
congrats man !

may the force be with you thumbsup

First three weeks are like hell, but whatever you change in life seems to worsen in the beginning. You'll gain so much more ... just watch your weight heh
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by devnty06 View Post
hi Allabouttone..
very sorry about your relatives and friends.. what you have stated is true..
life is all about living.. if some losses occurs it's an accident, so do you want to take those voluntarily!!!
Please forgive me, word this better so I can understand it. (in bold)
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Congrats!
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Head

Congrats !
I have 1 week since i stoped smoking ...
It's easy for me ... I smoked for about 13 years...
I feel ok with or without them ...but it's just a stupid thing to do ...smoking, throwing money away ...when you could buy more gear
Cheers
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

That's wonderful! While I don't smoke and never have so I can't say that I know what you're going through---my wife has tried to quit many times. It really comes down to will power and frankly---you need all you can get. SO, we're here to encourage you. You pick up another cigarette, we're going to come into your studio and raid the place---you don't really want that, now do you??? heh
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear
Congratulations,malaclypse. It takes a lot of courage to fight the evil nicotine curse. I've stopped and started again so many times. It amazes me that the fear of going through life without smoking can outweigh the fear of all the damage I know it does to my health (some of which has already happened-heart attack and 2 stents in my arteries). Yesterday I visited my friend/co-worker in the hospital who suffered a massive heart attack 2 months ago and 2 strokes since then. He is 54 and will never come back to work. He's paralyzed from the waist down and they don't think he'll ever walk again. And he was a long time (40+ years) heavy smoker, just like me. It was really a painful thing to see him that way and to realize that he and his wife will probably end up losing their house, car, and all the other things that he worked so hard for. As I left the hospital I immediately reached for my coping mechanism and lit up. It just shows how powerful this addiction can be. I kicked both drugs and alcohol years ago and never went back. But (for me) the desire to keep smoking is overpowering. Even becoming a grandfather (the most awesome thing I've ever experienced) isn't enough to get me to stop. Ironic as it may sound, I would gladly give up my life for either of them yet I won't give up smoking.

My point of sharing all of this with you is not to solicit any kind of reactions to MY problem. We have the "Moan Zone" for that. Non-smokers and ex-smokers are usually pretty eager to jump into a thread like this, but those of us still inflicted with "the curse" tend to keep quiet. What I want to say to you is this: You are young and still have most of your life ahead of you. Be strong and patient and understand that you will gain so much more than you are giving up. Remember that in the beginning you smoked because you chose to. No one made you do it. So, now you can choose not to. Focus on all the other things you want from life and know that,eventually, smoking will rob you of all of them. If you don't beat this thing,it will beat you. And as time goes on it will become stonger while you get weaker. Trust me,I know. I sincerely wish for you a long,successful,and smoke-free life.

Larry
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WB1984 View Post
Well over a year smoke free over here. Do yourself a favor--read "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" by Allen Carr.

I, too, was craving, feeling lost, and like my life would never be quite as good without smoking, but this book was a tremendous help.

Best of luck, and congrats!!
This is the book that did it for me. It just helps you understand the addiction and really puts in into perspective. I would read it Metaclypse, even though you've already quit.

It's been a year and four months since I've had tobacco in my lungs.

adathead53, read the book!!! Please!!
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Congratulations! It's been over nine months since I quit.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by adathead 53 View Post
Congratulations,malaclypse. It takes a lot of courage to fight the evil nicotine curse. I've stopped and started again so many times. It amazes me that the fear of going through life without smoking can outweigh the fear of all the damage I know it does to my health (some of which has already happened-heart attack and 2 stents in my arteries). Yesterday I visited my friend/co-worker in the hospital who suffered a massive heart attack 2 months ago and 2 strokes since then. He is 54 and will never come back to work. He's paralyzed from the waist down and they don't think he'll ever walk again. And he was a long time (40+ years) heavy smoker, just like me. It was really a painful thing to see him that way and to realize that he and his wife will probably end up losing their house, car, and all the other things that he worked so hard for. As I left the hospital I immediately reached for my coping mechanism and lit up. It just shows how powerful this addiction can be. I kicked both drugs and alcohol years ago and never went back. But (for me) the desire to keep smoking is overpowering. Even becoming a grandfather (the most awesome thing I've ever experienced) isn't enough to get me to stop. Ironic as it may sound, I would gladly give up my life for either of them yet I won't give up smoking.

My point of sharing all of this with you is not to solicit any kind of reactions to MY problem. We have the "Moan Zone" for that. Non-smokers and ex-smokers are usually pretty eager to jump into a thread like this, but those of us still inflicted with "the curse" tend to keep quiet. What I want to say to you is this: You are young and still have most of your life ahead of you. Be strong and patient and understand that you will gain so much more than you are giving up. Remember that in the beginning you smoked because you chose to. No one made you do it. So, now you can choose not to. Focus on all the other things you want from life and know that,eventually, smoking will rob you of all of them. If you don't beat this thing,it will beat you. And as time goes on it will become stonger while you get weaker. Trust me,I know. I sincerely wish for you a long,successful,and smoke-free life.

Larry
thanks so much for sharing this, Larry. i sincerely hope you can gather the strength to quit. it's not too late!
i know what you mean about the fear of going through life without smoking.
i've recently read that a smoker's brain doesnt produce the "feel-good" chemicals such as dopamine and seratonin without the nicotine stimulant, which is why we get the hopelessness and depression, and the fear that life isnt going to be quite as good without being able to smoke. this is an illusion, however, and the brain eventually begins to produce these chemicals again. in fact, i've noticed that the depression has been less intense for me in the past couple days. i'm starting to feel normal again. i keep trying to think back to my days before smoking, and how content i was then. this helps.

and to anyone else who is trying to quit, we can use this thread to help each other out. a lot of the withdrawals get less intense when you talk about them, and realize that other people are going through the same thing. lets not forget that we're paying large amounts of money per year, to a corporation, for an early death. this is crazy
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

for me it's been 6 years and counting... no tobacco whatsoever.

i also lost a few friends and relatives along the way because of cigarettes... not smoking is definitely the wiser choice.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Head

Congrats malaclypse!

I quit smoking on the exact same day as you weirdly enough, two weeks in today and feeling good. Still getting cravings, but determined to stick with the quit this time.

I've attempted quitting before, but every time I did I think I was somehow feeling that I was depriving myself of something and sooner or later ended up going back to it.

This time is different though, I've got to the point where enough is enough and I don't want cigarettes in my life anymore.

Good luck sticking with it, I'm going to keep checking this thread for moral support too. Congrats to all of you who have managed to kick the habit!

thumbsup
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Excellent!
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Guru

I have found out in most cases, the most popular way people stop smoking ?, #1 either its to late and you have weeks to live or you have cancer and there is a big chance of making it through it.
My brother smoked over 40 years, he only stopped because of throat cancer, it scared the hell out of him thinking he might die.
The way I see it, if you must have a habit take up casual drinking, you will live most likely a normal life. The ****e they put in ciggs today is killing people, even though smoking killed my dad, he lived to be 79 and went through hell for over 14 years in and out of the hospital and he always smoked name brand, no cheap stuff, so I say if you insist on smoking (which is your choice) smoke name brand, cheap ****e will kill you much much quicker.
My brother-in-law smoke the very cheap stuff menthol, lived barely over 2 months after he was in so much pain it forced him to go to the ER, never returned home, died at 50, what a loss for the parents to bury a son, its not normal.
Old 28th December 2010
7+1
Lives for gear

very very great news!

be proud and confident! you have kicked the most nasty pleasure on earth..
i am proud of you...

stay with it..

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear
You have to keep us updated, 2 weeks is far too early to think your done.

If you sincerely want to quit you can no excuses! You just need to get mad at the entire industry for allowing the sell of these additictive killing sticks and the money they rob from you everyday! Get mad at yourself for being so stupid to inhale theses horrible stinks sticks.

You get my point. I wish you all the luck in world. You'll find as time goes on without them how much healthier you will feel; less sinus infections, no more sore throats, etc.thumbsup
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

I didnt smoke any cigarette since september, I've been smoking something like 18 years from 10 to 20 per day...

I used this:

I'm still "smoking" one or two of these per day... it's not like being totally smoke free but it seems like it's still much better than cigarettes...That stuff really helped me.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search