The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I quit smoking! Special Ef­fects Plugins
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Guru

I hope this thread is helpful to many others as to the OP, I hope it scares the living ****e out of smokers. Remember its a choice, you have to want to quit, if you do not want to take that step and stop for good then you will suffer, maybe not today or in the next 10-20 years but one day you will wish you had NEVER picked up the first one, every person that I see that its to late now says, #1 does not smoke anymore, #2 they in a great deal of pain and regret destroying there body with such.
They are many other things in life to enjoy besides smoking and life is to short already, just remember every cigg you smoke does damage.
Go to AA meetings, I personally know a few guys that has not smoked in the last 12 years and they still attend AA meeting twice a week, not for there purpose but to help others. Its time we help the people have more power over this, the OP has put a huge foot forward and he needs all the support he can get.
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

I quit smoking!

Congratulations Malaclypse.
I can tell you that the depression, negative thinking and hopeless view will pass soon. That is FOR SURE. it goes away. Whereas before you could never imagine not smoking, soon you won't miss it that much.

Think how those dirty bidnizmen are dosing cigs and loading them with xtra nicotine just to keep us addicted.

I like your approach and visualizing the life before the drugs took hold is a good start. Wait put the madness.

Please know that you WILL come out the other side. Better health and feeling like you can do anything will be your new attitude.

Congratulations again to you.

Plush

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 1st January 2011
Here for the gear

I love this thread,

Don't ever feel like you are alone, or lost. I think those are the some of the worst feelings.

I hope your family is so proud of you, and that they continue to support you. For some people, it is a lifelong battle. Don't let that discourage you ... I hope the support of your family and friends gives you strength.

Don't be afraid to ask for help, or to share if you are feeling down...

This is a bit unrelated, but a few years ago, the relationship with my soon-to-be fiancée and GF at the time crashed. She was my best friend, and I never felt so alone and unimportant before, and (silly) but on the verge of contemplating suicide I called a suicide hotline...

The woman that answered the phone saved my life. She talked to me when nobody else would. It's amazing what a caring voice can do.

Live well!
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Congratulations Malaclypse.
Perhaps there is other things you can "Toke on" to ease the symptoms.
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

2011 lets get through this whole year with no ciggs...

one day at a time

Keep at it everyone
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone View Post
I have found out in most cases, the most popular way people stop smoking ?, #1 either its to late and you have weeks to live or you have cancer and there is a big chance of making it through it.
My brother smoked over 40 years, he only stopped because of throat cancer, it scared the hell out of him thinking he might die.
The way I see it, if you must have a habit take up casual drinking, you will live most likely a normal life. The ****e they put in ciggs today is killing people, even though smoking killed my dad, he lived to be 79 and went through hell for over 14 years in and out of the hospital and he always smoked name brand, no cheap stuff, so I say if you insist on smoking (which is your choice) smoke name brand, cheap ****e will kill you much much quicker.
My brother-in-law smoke the very cheap stuff menthol, lived barely over 2 months after he was in so much pain it forced him to go to the ER, never returned home, died at 50, what a loss for the parents to bury a son, its not normal.
Can't agree with that one

Really NOT trying to be preachy or anything but...

I gave up drinking over 2 years ago now and without a doubt it has SAVED MY LIFE!!!! Depression gone, doing things that I regretted due to drinking also gone. I've got the same stories about family and friends dying, but from booze.

I see that you wrote "casual" which may be different, God bless the casual dinker I'm jealous of you.

Now back to positivity, congrats to those who have quit!!! I'm gonna' get the book and do it, I have too.

G
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectacular g View Post
Can't agree with that one

Really NOT trying to be preachy or anything but...

I gave up drinking over 2 years ago now and without a doubt it has SAVED MY LIFE!!!! Depression gone, doing things that I regretted due to drinking also gone. I've got the same stories about family and friends dying, but from booze.

I see that you wrote "casual" which may be different, God bless the casual dinker I'm jealous of you.

Now back to positivity, congrats to those who have quit!!! I'm gonna' get the book and do it, I have too.

G
Well I guess I am the lucky one, I have always been able to have a drink or 2 without having to have another, no desire to get toasted like I did when I was in my teens.
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well I guess I am the lucky one, I have always been able to have a drink or 2 without having to have another, no desire to get toasted like I did when I was in my teens.
That's cool, nothing personal anyway. Just went and got the book 2 chapters down and diggin' it so far.

Anyway I knew the day was coming, kinda' crazy/cool it's today.

G
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Nut

I can only suggest watching alan carr's The Easy Way To Stop Smoking if you want to stay completely smoke free. Both I and my girlfriend have stopped smoking years ago after having smoked 2-3 packs of cigarettes each day for several years.

You can watch this movie for free on youtube:

I have watched this movie sereral times already and I never had any withdrawals. I think its great because it mainly focuses on the psychological aspects and habits behind smoking.

Hope this helps.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

This WILL be the year for me. Pack a day for over 15 years. THe buck stops here.
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Guru

I've been cigarette free for almost a year now with the help of the electronic cigarette. IMO, this thing is a miracle device as I have tried all other methods.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

still going strong guys! it'll be three weeks on tuesday. withdrawals are fewer and farther between now. i can breathe deeply, i can smell things....
i really hope others are inspired to quit too.
i know 3 weeks is a little early to tell, but i'm really confident, and positive about it. i don't really think about smoking that much anymore. the worst is over

heh
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Guru

I always hear things after smokers have quit, even though they have kicked the habit, 1,5,10 even 20 years they still have that need for a smoke right after eating a meal and then it goes away after a few mins.

True ?
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Maniac

I been trying to quit for a while now even when 6 mo without smoking got stupid drunk one night woke up with a pack of cigarettes in my pocket and fell right back into it. now my motivation is that i spend about $196 a mo in cigarettes thats enough to buy a pair of jeans, a shirt, and a pair of shoes every month, but since i'm a gear slut that would could be a monthly payment towards new gear, i will start any day now!

congrats to the OP and to all the other sluts that have quit smoking!
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I always hear things after smokers have quit, even though they have kicked the habit, 1,5,10 even 20 years they still have that need for a smoke right after eating a meal and then it goes away after a few mins.

True ?
I beleive it's true, I'm only at 3 monthes and feel 0 frustration because I use the inhalator (I beleive the e cig does something similar)... It's not like I have nothing to smoke, I even like it now...I'm just wondering how bad the inhalator is for my [email protected] the pharmacy they told me that it's not really dangerous, nicotine speeds up heart rate but that's about it. I wonder how true is this.... I'll take the time to ask a tabacologist one day...there's no clear info about this over the internet
Old 3rd January 2011
A33
Gear Addict

Hey Keep it up guys !!
Best thing i did was quitting smoking .... I feel so much better now.
smoked for 12 years now quit for 5 ..
The other bonus was after a year i could afford to upgrade my mac just from cigarette money
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by A33 View Post
Hey Keep it up guys !!
Best thing i did was quitting smoking .... I feel so much better now.
smoked for 12 years now quit for 5 ..
The other bonus was after a year i could afford to upgrade my mac just from cigarette money
Good for you...
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Hah funny I ran into this my journey starts tomorrow and boy am I scared. My mother, uncle, and cousin have quit smoking and they were smokers for over 20 years, so it's time to hop on the band waggin now I need to get my aunt and my other uncle to stop and we can be a smoke free family
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotorious View Post
Hah funny I ran into this my journey starts tomorrow and boy am I scared.
recitate this everytime you feel scared. I'm completely serious.
I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmokrator View Post
recitate this everytime you feel scared. I'm completely serious.
I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
haha day 1, and im still here!, not as bad as i thought just took me a lot longer to wake up wake up, after i woke up. lets see what day 2 has in store for me.
Old 6th January 2011
Gear Head

started smoking when i was 16, i quit when i was 19. now I'm 23.
waking up in the morning without slime in my throat feels sooo good
Old 6th January 2011
Gear Head

I quit smoking!

I always feel bad when I see someone tracking vocals blowing cigarette smoke all over the mic(blue bottle). I know if I was doing a session I would give some one the third degree if they even thought about doing that. Congrats dude!
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Nice work. How long were you a smoker?

Smoking sucks, it's really a waste of money. I quit using snus which isn't AS bad as smoking but still not good for you. Never looked back. Plus, the heroin gives me all the kicks I need. Nah, kidding of course.
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Hey BCgood as long as were doing a witch hunt for smokers because they 'pollute' I'd like to see people burning fossil fuels with their cars and heating systems & airplanes hung from the highest tree, together with people that have too much waste every week and every factory that's polluting the environment.
I also like to see hung next to them the modern food manufacturers who give us fat saturated with sugar & additives as 'food'.

My snot and spit is more black from wandering a day in London town than from smoking a pack of ciggies.. hmm look they don't taste me as well anymore, but I still like the ones filled up with something extra.

Congrats to OP, you'll notice increase in energy and stamina.
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBarre View Post
I can only suggest watching alan carr's The Easy Way To Stop Smoking if you want to stay completely smoke free. Both I and my girlfriend have stopped smoking years ago after having smoked 2-3 packs of cigarettes each day for several years.

You can watch this movie for free on youtube:

I have watched this movie sereral times already and I never had any withdrawals. I think its great because it mainly focuses on the psychological aspects and habits behind smoking.

Hope this helps.
Thank you so much for posting this!
I stopped smoking mid-december, had a few on New Year's eve, and went back to non-smoking (after 20 years smoking), and now watching this, it reinforced the thought process that I can really do it. This has been a great watch, and it's so true, there is absolutely nothing to gain from cigarettes, it's all an illusion we inflict upon ourselves.
Old 8th January 2011
T1M
Gear Maniac

Old 9th January 2011
Lives for gear

Exclamation

Smoked from 15 to 28 (pack a day), quit until 40 (actually became a rabid non-smoker) then I moved to NYC and decided to have just "one" (this city really depresses the **** out of me).

One was too many, a million wasn't enough...trying to quit again, chewing nicorette right now (I don't count quitting until I'm off the nicorette nicotine).

My advice is: DO what EVER it takes to QUIT FOR GOOD, it's a killer, KILLER addiction!

Don't smoke just "one" EVER.

P.S. Everyone quits smoking, just some of us do it while we're still breathing (told to me by a friend that died).
Old 9th January 2011
T1M
Gear Maniac

Ive never understood why you'd want to start smoking on a consistent basis. I mean, tobacco is a great drug but its not good enough to warrant doing it multiple times per day.

I smoke when I get drunk and thats been working fine for me for the last 6 years.
Old 10th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Congrats!! I'm jealous; I could save so much money if I would quit. I've tried quitting before, but after 2 or 3 days I couldn't take it

Definitely stick with it though

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search