The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What makes a good rapper? Condenser Microphones
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Nut

What makes a good rapper?

Hello slutz i have a question that i would like some expierenced engineers that track rap vocals to answer...What makes a good rapper? example. u tracked many rappers and how would u compare the best to the worst? Do they not stay on the beat? is it their voice?

Also it would be nice to hear from someone that has high end gear because in my mind im thinking that its all about gear and somewhat decent flow doesn't have to be amazing.

Thank you
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Nut

ummmm maybe its just me, but i think you could have all the best gear in the world....but still make ****ty beats...and you could also have all the nicest gear in the world and make amazing beats, but whats the point if a ****ty rapper is rappin over them?...unless your getting paid i guess......coming from a person that has went down many paths in life, money doesn't cut it for me....it may sound cliche , but for me i like music that i can feel, and that go's double for vocalists/rappers.....i mean, some music is just entertainment and i appreciate it for that too, guess it all comes down to an individual perception....maybe i read the question wrong.....and im not an experienced engineer....just a fan of music.
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Maniac

U can be average on the mic but with great gear it will sound like ur amazing
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

every great rapper started here

Old 24th December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by liotta soda View Post
agreed.

Now talking about fan base and going somewhere in the music industry....So far this is what i stand for. By listening to some recent major artists 50 tyson / waka flocka and all of these other unsigned hype artists and observing how thier fan base slowly grows on twitter ect. It seems like quality gets the fans more than the verse. Some people barely pay attention to the words as long as it sounds nice to the ear.

and lol ncoak haha
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

^^lmao

hilarious
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

The rapper has to have energy and delivery. I know a lot of guys that can write amazing rhymes that sound horrible when they try to spit it over the beat. Reason being, the vocal is not harmonizing or carrying any melody with any other instrument in the arrangement. For this reason, you've got to be able to fit those words inside the beat.

The vibe of the artist will help it blend with the track. Otherwise, it just sits on the beat. A good flow keeps the song moving. This is important because often times the track isn't changing all that much musically.

A good rapper can actually write verses that relate to the hook. Sounds simple but a lot guys just don't get it.
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Maniac

A fan base who think he/she's a good rapper.
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadrafunk View Post
The rapper has to have energy and delivery. I know a lot of guys that can write amazing rhymes that sound horrible when they try to spit it over the beat. Reason being, the vocal is not harmonizing or carrying any melody with any other instrument in the arrangement. For this reason, you've got to be able to fit those words inside the beat.

The vibe of the artist will help it blend with the track. Otherwise, it just sits on the beat. A good flow keeps the song moving. This is important because often times the track isn't changing all that much musically.

A good rapper can actually write verses that relate to the hook. Sounds simple but a lot guys just don't get it.

i definetly agree with that. Not only does the artist have to make it exciting the producer also has to do that and i also think a good artist needs to be a good song writer and focus on staying with the topic like the hook.
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG_BEATS View Post
a good artist needs to be a good song writer
Great way to put it. A lot of rappers don't look at themselves as "song writers". Good point
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Head

just be Funky, and treat your listeners with intelligence..be yourself, Ill' buy your record..
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by liotta soda

Really? Could you tell me what plugin fixes a wack flow, or puts somebody on beat, or fixes a ****ty voice?

NONE

Great gear never has and never will be the substitute for talent an skill
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncoak View Post

Old 25th December 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickrock305 View Post
Really? Could you tell me what plugin fixes a wack flow, or puts somebody on beat, or fixes a ****ty voice?

NONE

What constitutes a good voice?
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipstergenes

It's pretty subjective, but I'd say a voice that fits with the track. A good example of this would be Busta Rhymes. He takes great care to alter his voice to the particular vibe of the track.

Also, I'd say a voice that is not annoying. For example, I personally find Drakes voice pretty annoying. On the other side of the coin, there are people like Guru or Nas or MOP that have very distinctive and good voices.

It basically just refers to the timbre of the voice and how it fits within the track.
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipstergenes View Post
good tone. good example is wiz khalifa.
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:

NONE

say you took some average internet myspace netcee and put him in a studio with top notch gear. track would come out nice

i personally know people that SUCK at rap, but have paid big money at top level NY studios to record a track or 2 and it sounds pretty damn good when all the mixing tricks are done to it

even the flow sounds good, voice sounds good, etc.

the same tracks were recorded on garbage gear and sounded like a headache in audio form
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by liotta soda

say you took some average internet myspace netcee and put him in a studio with top notch gear. track would come out nice

i personally know people that SUCK at rap, but have paid big money at top level NY studios to record a track or 2 and it sounds pretty damn good when all the mixing tricks are done to it

the same tracks were recorded on garbage gear and sounded like a headache in audio form

Credit that to talented engineers who also took on the role of producing the vocals.

It's not the gear, it's the person operating the gear. I stand by my statement that no amount of nice gear alone will take a garbage MC and make them sound hot
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Maniac
Hunger, Energy, Mic technique, Cadence, smooth execution/delivery, conveying emotion/vibe, knowing when to spit uphill/downhill are probably the best signs of a good MC.

A good sounding room and headphone mix along with some quality lyrics should seal the deal.

The lyrics and track are more important than one might think for most performers. I've seen average MCs jump a few notches up performance-wise when they really took pride in their lyrics or felt they had to step it up to take advantage of a track/opportunity.
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by liotta soda View Post

a good mc would sound good on a radioshack mic.. you can rock the house with cheap ass ****..soul and charisma is not something you can buy. i dont care how ragedy and cheap a setup may be.. if its funky, it deserves to be captured and listened to. in hiphop the only thing im listening for is feel and essence. if you are making technical observations when a cat is gettin down.. you are missing the whole point. when i was high school we use to get down in the boys bathroom and the only gear we had was cheap ass Ses and Newport Kings. it sounded amazing..only sucka MCs sweat the technicals..

Last edited by tal213; 25th December 2010 at 05:09 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 25th December 2010
Flow, content, voice, delivery, stage presence.
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
really? Could you tell me what plugin fixes a wack flow, or puts somebody on beat, or fixes a ****ty voice?

None

great gear never has and never will be the substitute for talent an skill

autotune
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Guru

We're talking rapping, not singing.
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
We're talking rapping, not singing.
U can rap with autotune
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Btw flex time in logic 9 has turned awful projects into bearable ones
Definitly no great but bearable
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear
afaik auto tune can't fix timing issues.

Good rapping is 100% about the rapper and not the gear, I think i read on here MF Doom cut doomsday using an sm58. Good rap is a balance between, tone, timing, and lyrical content. What balance works for depends on the style of rap you are going for.
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by otlyer

U can rap with autotune

No kidding.

It doesn't fix anything though. Just provides an effect.
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncoak View Post

Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

what i like in a rapper...

flow, cool voice, someone who stays on beat, entertaining lyrics/content, someone who rhymes about whatever is on they mind (vs making a targeted song)

what i don't like:

rappers who rap like there is no beat there stike
rappers who rhyme words with the same word
rappers who got no material so ALL they rap about is "shawty..." "cars" "diamonds, ice" "coming down.." "candy paint sitting on chrome... screens" "84's ...swangas.." (yeah, i know this covers the majority of popular rap songs)
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Okay...I'ma jump into this for a sec...LOL

Disclaimer: I'm not getting into a "hip hop emcee" vs "rapper" debate here. Also, as usual, what I'm saying is just my opinion. As with anything...take with a grain of salt...or with some pepper, some other seasonings and start cooking with it.

One way is to institute (or reestablish) The "CLAMP" Method. This was the method in which artists (especially hip hop) used "back in the day."

C-Concept

L-Lyricism

A-Attitude

M-Music

P-Performance

There are very few that could and do pull all of the whole method off nowadays. It's mainly because of labels, artists, and fans. Why I do I say this? Because there's always a label somewhere that will sign an artist anytime and a fan that will buy or listen to an artist all the time. With that, it means that there's an audience everywhere. Why do Katz that have little or no lyrical skillz get the record deal, sell a good amount of media, and have lots of fans? Yes the labels and their machine play a big part in all of this but there's a another key element: USP Unique Selling Proposition.

To explain...

Concept: Any serious Hip Hop (or any other music genere but lets stay on topic) should understand their own concept of their artist name, persona, and media they're pushing on everyone. The "USP" deals directly with "Concept." What does your artist name mean? Does it stand out? Does it make people curious? Is it marketable? Does it sell you before you sell yourself? Not dissing anyone but you've got a lot of artists that have "Young" or "Yung" in front of their name and for what? I knew one of those types (note I've met some that are off the chain) during a concert and a member of the audience asked them what their name meant. He said, "I just like having that 'Yung' in front of my name cause I think it's cool." The same person asked me about my name and I go through my usual and prepared response, "Sevens in The Bible mean 'completion' but it's also the most powerful number. In some circles, it means 'food' as well. A 'Knight' is a chosen warrior chosen by a King to do great works on the battlefield for the kingdom for the king's glory. I was chosen by 'The King of Kings' to do great works on this battlefield we call 'Earth' for God's Glory. Plus, it's a cool name because it's unique." At that point, everytime the fan is like, "Mayne that's cool!" or more but the main thing is that the I gave the fan more about me than the other artist and that gave me more face time with the fan. Now, they can't wait till the album (Yeah I said, "Album") drops because they already have an idea of what I'm about before they hear any more music from me!

Lyrcism: How intricate and challenging are your lyrics? How do they affect the masses? Just putting "cat" with "hat" does not make a lyricist...it's how one can put em together to influence the masses in a positive way. It's more than just shinin on a hook or a few bars here and there. Can you talk about more than just the grils, sex, money, thuggin, jewels, and cars? Can you talk political, topical, social, or intellectual? Are you versatile or just one dimensional? Can your lyrics actually carry the whole song!

Attitude: Ever been to a concert or open mic and you've got a bunch of Katz on stage with their hands cupped over the mic yelling, the crowd moving, and nobody understood what the whole song was about? Yeah...I know. A lot of Katz can develop an attitude very easy. However...does it go with your persona as an artist? Are you hardcore, lyrical, gangsta, political, pimp, hustler, lover, intellectual...or are you a combination of things? How does your "attitude" affect and/or influence the crowd and fans?

Music: We all know banging tracks can make almost any artist shine even if they have little or no lyrical skillz or talent. However, does the music flow with the words and make an actual song? Or is it just a track that's empty? Does it sound like it was a rushed remake of another song? Does it sound like it's just thrown together...or does it have that "ish" that you love the vocal and instrumental versions?

Performance: Okay...almost anyone can get up and grab a mic and do something...you see it all the time at karaoke places. You also see it at open mics and on American Idol. However...just because one can entertain their friends don't mean that they can entertain a crowd. Try entertaining people that could care less who you are, what your name is, what gear and accessories you have on, and how banging your track is. You gotta work just to make one head nod much less 10, 100, 1000 or more. That's a whole different story. Who is your target audience? Are you performing at a church, rec center, or club? What type of club is it? Do your songs match with the crowd your performing for? Are you laid back, hyped up, or in between? Every artist is different...but very few take the time to figure these things out. I've been there...performing with one mic in my hand and a mic point right into a little bitty boombox because I didn't know that the church I was performing for didn't have a good sound system. By that time, it's too late to just leave. Since then, I'll either check out the venue well in advance or if it's somewhere I have to drive a good distance but not long enough to have to spend the night somewhere then I'll get there at least a couple of hours early so I'll know what I'm working with.

Just my two cents!

Seventh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search