The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How much do artists get signed for these days?
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Head

How much do artists get signed for these days?

Hey how much do urban artists get signed for these days? Basically advance etc.

I'm talking about the big labels signing small artists with them wanting to put in little risk. I'm not talking about artists that get bidding wars.

I dont want to mention names but there are many on twitter etc who are living at home and taking the bus and are signed to major labels. Many with no real album, no promotion.. they pretty much get studio time for mixtapes.

A person here at work told me that the labels are doing what is called 'book marking'. Basically sign a bunch of people for very little, do not promote, develop, fund your projects. And if you can still generate hype through that, it means that your worth actually promoting. So you can sign 100 smaller artists with a contract much in the labels favor. Then those on the contract will hustle their own game and only IF they do well, THEN the label decides to put money into you. It's more of a safe bet this way? It's not like shelf space is beginning to matter anymore so why develop signed artists?

So it's like 'you got talent. we'll trap you in a contract so no one else can sign you and see how you do because you might be 'the one'.. but we're no longer spending money on development and promotion... come back when you do it yourself and then we'll talk'.

Anyone have any $ figures>?
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

There are all kinds of different deals. Just remember the $ side of any deal is a loan so dont go mad!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search