The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Finding local talent? Plugin Presets/Expansions
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

, first stop that slave ancestry vs Caribbeans nonsense please and if you find a caribbean rapper that happen to be black I advice you to keep you mouse shut about the subject... Grab a book or two and realize that black ppl from north to south america including caribean ARE from slave ancestry (minus the few african immigrants)....To answer your original question: what about making friends?
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Head

Mike

I live in UK and never had a problem finding artists. Did you think that maybe the problem is you? Try some diplomacy when sending emails. I always mention payments when I'm dealing with musicians even though I don't have anything to offer. Just make your self to sound a bit more professional.

p.s.

I Remember once i was bargaining the fees of a pianist and ended up paying him with a case of Tesco wines.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago View Post
There are tons of rappers in Toronto, I think you need to go out there, go to clubs, shows etc and talk to them like I do. It's not that hard. There's a lot of talent in Toronto.
Could you maybe refer me to an artist that is fast/loud.. preferably that has a Jamaican lisp that he/she can turn on. Lyrics don't really matter.

We want that 'ting' sort of thing that comes out of the UK and Canada...
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahuel View Post
, first stop that slave ancestry vs Caribbeans nonsense?
It's not nonsense it means everything when it comes to music. You are in France and you should know this with the African influence in your music. That's why the French and British music is so different. The urban artists come from different countries and cultures. Over here they are proud of their home countries and cultures yet live here. We just need to bring this out.

I'm 34 and am too old to make friends with young talent and go to clubs although it's what anyone should do..
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by grenos View Post
Mike

I live in UK and never had a problem finding artists. Did you think that maybe the problem is you? Try some diplomacy when sending emails. I always mention payments when I'm dealing with musicians even though I don't have anything to offer. Just make your self to sound a bit more professional.

p.s.

I Remember once i was bargaining the fees of a pianist and ended up paying him with a case of Tesco wines.
How can the problem be me when I'm just saying what's up and asking a couple of questions. I'm not doing any offers or even getting into business.

I think it could just be a cultural difference.. your population is twice as large as ours, but you guys have 20 times the artists it seems.. like you guys have artsists for DAYS open to work and switch up styles.

Also when you mentioned payment.. I certainly hope you weren't talking about me paying them were you? I was just going to offer them tracks for free. Nothing in it for me. Mutually beneficial.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedavid00 View Post
It's not nonsense
The carribean vs slave ancestry IS total nonsense, I know what I'm talking about, I was born in Venezuela (Carribean sourth coast), I'm white, my girl is black from french west indies (Martinique).

You want to talk about immigrants vs local dudes.

I'm 33 and I'm still making 20 years old friends, some happend to be local talents and I dont go to clubs that much. But hey that's me and yes I live in france.
Old 22nd December 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
How can the problem be me when I'm just saying what's up and asking a couple of questions. I'm not doing any offers or even getting into business.

I think it could just be a cultural difference.. your population is twice as large as ours, but you guys have 20 times the artists it seems.. like you guys have artsists for DAYS open to work and switch up styles.

Also when you mentioned payment.. I certainly hope you weren't talking about me paying them were you? I was just going to offer them tracks for free. Nothing in it for me. Mutually beneficial.
It sounds like you need to get off your computer and start meeting some artists who you can work with. If people like your beats when they'll want to work with you - but if they are nice, they will probably be serious about their craft, so they may want to talk business.

Also, I live in the UK and Grime isnt that big and any artists who started making grime and got big now make pop records.

If there's nothing in it for you, why do it? heh
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfulwater View Post

If there's nothing in it for you, why do it? heh
Because I love doing it

Cheezy eh?
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Easy, call your local newspapers, the free ones and ask if they would do a small feature on you and the studio. Its in the publics interest right?

You coud also release a PRESS RELEASE to the papers and trade papers.

Once the biggies see the smallies and they do read em, trust me.. they will get intouch and maybe want to feature you...

Thats just a couple, there are loads more. My favorite way to find new talent is facebook. You can target any aspect of a users profile. eg Hobbies "I love rapping and spitting my own vibe" - keyword search for Rapping and bingo! - Using there advertising.... its pretty cheap, set a budget $50 or something.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
My problem is, I can't find any artists. I've emailed maybe about 20 so far saying what's up and I don't get any response. None.
I mean this in the most polite way, but perhaps no one is responding because your tracks aren't as strong as you think they are? I dont know what your stuff sounds like, so please do not take this as an attack.
In my experience, if the artist connects with the track, you will hear from them sooner than later. Sometimes you hear from them TOO much because now they want every track you have! lol (not a bad problem to have I suppose). heh

Regardless if it's free or not, if the artist doesn't vibe off of it, dont expect to hear from them. Reverse the scenario. What would you do if you received an accapella from an artist that you just weren't really feeling?

Again, I mean this in a very neutral way, so please do not take offense to my post. I dont know what your stuff sounds like, so I'm not judging you. Just simply pointing out what we as 'producers' sometimes overlook. Pride can be deadly..
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Lyrics don't really matter.
If lyrics don't matter, then you're not really looking for talent. Stop wasting everyones time. This is gearslutz...a place of excellence. Either step up or step off. fuuck

As for the "slave" thing...you'd be better of just saying you're looking for an uneducated rapper more than likely from the "dirty south" genre of Hip-Hop. All North American blacks are of slave decent...it's not necessarily offensive to me...it just sounds equally uneducated and plain stupid when you say it.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah but you're in LA. There's no way the slave ancestry there is going to like electronic dance music.
lol man, wtf are you smoking?
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Yeah but you're in LA. There's no way the slave ancestry there is going to like electronic dance music.

Good LORD... Now I see why you cant even give away your tracks for free. Just out of curiosity, when you made contact with the artists, did you happen to mention in your email that 'they shouldn't be of the slave ancestry'?

You do know that slavery ended back in the 1800's, right? There have been a few generations since then. For some reason, I think most people walking around now aren't hanging on to their slave roots that would prohibit them from liking electronic dance music, but what the hell do I know.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Head

finding local talent

When I was in Vancouver I put out a rap comp CD without knowing anyone when I started the project: Vudu | Front & Center Vol. 1 | CD Baby

Well I was old school, came back to the scene 5 years later so was unknown.

I went to local shows, told them what I was doing, handed out beat CDs to the rappers I liked, told them my history done (a bit of club and campus on-air DJing, old cassettes) and pretty soon I was getting calls and emails for studio time and "save that beat for me". They just had to see me around a few times to get comfortable and word spread.

I also said they could use the song on their CD and studio time was free. Just become a SOCAN member so we can collect royalties (50/50) if it gets played.

Maybe it helped that I had a vision and focussed on a female rap/rnb comp, and usually they could find a track out of the 90 I put on a CD that they could vibe to, lots of choice. The CD release party was excellent and got a few minutes on MuchMusic too.

I also linked up with a few dancehall reggae people and produced for their CDs, you would have no problem doing that in T.O.!

Just be yourself (I hope that's good), be present, be persistent, have good beats, listen, be humble, be prepared when they show up (mic, headphones ready) and organized, especially your computer files.

The only downside to free studio time is if they are a perfectionist and want to come back every day to redo their vocals endlessly. Usually the first day is the best so keep early takes to compare to. Say Jay-Z does it in 1 take, maybe 2. Of course if it's bad suggest its an off-night and let 'em come back, say in a nice way, sometimes their egos can't take being told the least criticism.

Give 'em a CD or mp3 (256k) when they are leaving - try and get it good, mix and a quick maximize, it always sounds better louder so it stands up to the Lil Wayne they just listened to before their song.

Good luck!
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Guru

Finding local talent?

So you're looking for someone without slave ancestry, yet you're looking for Caribbean people? Ummm, huh? heh
Old 22nd December 2010
Finding local talent?

WTF?!?! Wow, just wow.

Wow.

Wow...

Hmmmm...
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Addict

you WANT to record rappers for free? that is exactly what I have to avoid every day of my life... sounds like you are the one with slave ancestry LOL

I wish I could send some east bay rappers your way, but they probably wouldn't pass your genealogy test LOL

BTW- dude have you tried Myspace??? If you can't find a rapper that wants free work on myspace there is something wrong.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

What you are looking for is not out there, it is in you...
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Hill View Post
I mean this in the most polite way, but perhaps no one is responding because your tracks aren't as strong as you think they are?
Again, I mean this in a very neutral way, so please do not take offense to my post. I dont know what your stuff sounds like, so I'm not judging you. Just simply pointing out what we as 'producers' sometimes overlook. Pride can be deadly..
Again I never sent out my tracks to anyone. I just said Hi and asked a few questions with no response. Didn't even make offers.

I'm a strong mediocre with my skill.. there are much, much worse producers out there.. the artists I've contacted have been 'lower' mediocre that would require lots of coaching and vocal processing. The tracks they currently rap over are amateur and don't cut it.

Trust me I'm more than playing in my league when it comes to these artists. So much so that I'm a better fit for a smaller signed artist.

I can do House, Trance, Grime, Dub, Soca, Dance Hall, and Trap. I will not touch 'roots/conscious/throw back' styles of rap which seem to dominate the unsigned scene here in Toronto. I hate conscious/roots hip hop with a passion .

I make only hype dance music and need hype artists. Or those that have the potential to be on hype. I'll do everything and produce them for free. Put them out a whole album. HD video, photos, promo all that. Just for fun.
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vudu12 View Post
Give 'em a CD or mp3 (256k) when they are leaving - try and get it good, mix and a quick maximize, it always sounds better louder so it stands up to the Lil Wayne they just listened to before their song.

Good luck!
Hey thanks for the input..

A lot of people don't understand the Caribbean vibe we have here in Canada and how we do not share the same thing as that goes on the US so they obviously don't understand what I'm looking for. Here's how we do it in Toronto. Some are ignorant though and want to link everyone with the same skin colour as being culturally the same which is ridiculous but oh well. Some things never change.

I'm really trying to focus on Canadian artists just being themselves. The UK is able to do it and I think we just need to tap into the talent here that is willing and able.
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Id Ridden View Post
What you are looking for is not out there, it is in you...
You can say the same about everyone in that case, not just me.

I decided I'm going to stop looking and let people 'come to me'. I think I'm better suited towards artists that are signed in the UK. I'm going to hit the local scene and see what's out there.

I really want to cut an album for someone and shoot some video. I'm going to 'whip together tracks' for now and build a catalog. If an artist wants one then I'll dress up the rest of the track after the recording as you guys know how much time that takes.

If I was independent I would seriously JUMP at this opportunity..
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search