The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Back to an hd 5 Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Back to an hd 5

Thanks dutchmuzik for the replacement cards. No thanks continental who smashed my old ones. And whoever stole the broken cards from my cargo! Any thoughts on ways to transport gear?
Attached Thumbnails
Back to an hd 5-imageuploadedbygearslutz.jpg  
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

I would disassemble, antistatic bag and bubblewrap (or the like) wherever possible when transporting such things.

I've even had well packaged nearfields take a beating on the trip from america to new zealand.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike dean View Post
Thanks dutchmuzik for the replacement cards. No thanks continental who smashed my old ones. And whoever stole the broken cards from my cargo! Any thoughts on ways to transport gear?
Ouch!

Sorry to hear that, Mike. But I fly often and avoid Continental and Delta like the plague. Otherwise, check out the rack cases by SKG. They are rugged, guaranteed and have TSA-only locks that keep the vultures out.

Also, it is well worth the effort to at least fill your case/chassis with bubble wrap to reinforce the cards and components. They can REALLY be rough on gear in baggage handling.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

flight cases?
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayl View Post
I would disassemble, antistatic bag and bubblewrap (or the like) wherever possible when transporting such things.

I've even had well packaged nearfields take a beating on the trip from america to new zealand.
+1. Carry the cards on with you. They don't take up a lot of space and take a few minutes to reinstall. Not worth the risk IMO.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:

In antistatic bags surrounded by packing peanuts or bubble wrap surrounded by auralex (the only thing that stuff is good for) in a pelican flight case with your fingers crossed!!! lol... I have seen delta dash break the hinges and locks on heavy duty metal flight cases. The air cargo biz simply doesn't give a dayum about your equipment. dfegad
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

i usually send in mac pro cardboard boxes

last time i used flight cases, they crack 5 of 5 accel cards. this time was only 2. looking for proper plasic case like b and h has but cant find right one for mac pro and one for magma chassis.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Mike,
I would try Pelican Cases. I have been flying with them for years and not a scratch on the gear. They are also water proof so WHEN the plane goes down you can use your gear for a floatation device

This is where I get mine
pelican cases for laptops + camera cases + shipping containers from Pelican-Case.com
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Addict

avs-duracase.com in the atlanta metro area can make you a sweet flight case for your mac pro and magma chassis. The stuff they make is top quality. Sent Mac based hd systems in tour buses all over the country and never had a problem

Check out that web sight thay have exactly what you are looking for on the front page MacPro Rack $995 even has space for the magma chassis and several 192's
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
last time i used flight cases, they crack 5 of 5 accel cards. this time was only 2. looking for proper plasic case like b and h has but cant find right one for mac pro and one for magma chassis.
Take the cards out! You're talking about a 30,000 dollar plus recording system. Not a mac pro. Carry the cards on and reinstall when you land and get set up.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

I send fedex to whatever destination I'm going to.
Its pricey, but not much more than the airlines and its insured.
I have it in pelican cases and just drop the case off with fedex on way to airport or typically a day before.
They busted a G5 of mine last year and i got a 7500 check because they only option available was A new mac pro. As a bent chassis could not be replaced.

They also busted my MPC3000 but I didn't insure it because i thought no freaking way they can destroy this thing in a double foamed pelican case. WRONG!!
Its going to take a beating either way.
Might as well use the carrier that you can buy insurance with.
also set up an account with them so you can just add a number and roll out. Plus the rates are much cheaper as a account holder
And if you have a PO from the label, they will typically give up the fedex number. double bonus
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

^ just a quick note, i saw a piece on the news the other night where some group sent packages through ups & fedex with sensors in them to determine whether they were being handled well - ups came on top, fed ex packages were apparently regularly dropped distances of over 3 feet.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

i use both. and have heard the same thing.
but the UPS claims i have made typically take 3x as long to get paid out.
They destroyed a 909 of mine when i was touring with one.
took like 4 months to get paid for it.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Guru

Back to an hd 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncoak
^ just a quick note, i saw a piece on the news the other night where some group sent packages through ups & fedex with sensors in them to determine whether they were being handled well - ups came on top, fed ex packages were apparently regularly dropped distances of over 3 feet.

I saw the same study. The packages marked "fragile" faired the worst of all!
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Back to an hd 5

Well they just lost my box with the Mac pro magma card and 2 uad cards. At least I took the drives out. Continental sucks.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search