The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What should I do in my life? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Nut

What should I do in my life?

Hello, first off I did use this site a while ago to talk to people, but I haven't logged in and realize that people have been pretty good with answers, but I want to introduce myself first before asking the question.

For those who do not know me, my name is Nihal and I currently finished High School, and do not know what I should do.

I write my full bio on here because I feel the need to, so I apologize if I sound like a fool when writing about myself here on a forum, and the length of this. Please read as much as possible.

My main strengths/weaknesses is Music and Computers-

I can fix and repair computers and manage networks, I learned all myself, with no training. I can hack into computers and steal passwords from a Windows computer, if I am locked out from it, since I was passionate into finding out, and did manage to hack into a network once with no help. Don't worry, this wasn't an illegal purpose, I was just demonstating and example of my capability. However, my weakness is programming, but i don't know if that really my weakness since I know computer savvy people, knowing how a little on computer programming after they took classes, but I find that maintaining computer networks and fixing computers is more of my passion rather than technical languages which I find a hard time memorizing.

With music, I thought myself how to compose, produce and perform music (together with my high school orchestra) since I discovered my potential using a piano on the computer and also playing around with musical notes on the keyboard when I was very young. I enjoy music from chords and catchy tunes, I don't care about lyrics. I can make it into the industry (have potential) with my ability. My weakness in music is not able to read musical notes, like I find it a lot easier playing music by ear rather than read notes off musical sheets. I do know how to read music a little, since I had to when I took piano lessons and was in the orchestra. But I find my weakness in that area. Singing may need work, but its getting better over time. :-)

Here is a song I sung and produced all by myself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kap8iySl2Bw

I did use my natural talent to replay all the music in the original song, which is Wow I can get sexual too by Say Anything. Look up the song, and i honesltly don't like the song, I just like the music in it.

-

Now, I graduated from High School in the year 2010 and not sure what I should do. If I get a 4 year degree in computers, I can get a job into computers, but I will have to give up on music, and 4 years is too long for me, since I am musically active and anxious in releasing a track I have been working on the whole year.

So yes I can do so much with computers, but I want to do something with music to, such as singing, performing, producing, etc.

Here is a video of myself demonstrating something:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHirlUiI4io

I normally don't like to put myself on the internet because I feel that I am ugly, but don't count that against me.

So based on my talents, What would you recommend me that I do for my career?
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Well, if you want to get an education (and you should) you have to pick something. And no, if you get a computer related education you don't have to "give up on" music, why should you? I did all sorts of stuff during and after my education, that had nothing to do with what I actually studied. I know the world's much more black and white when you're young but come on... you dont' have to give up on anything.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Head

My main line of business is software consultancy - I travel around the UK and Europe developing software and software processes for all kinds of industry sectors... but I still have time for my band and running my small recording studio business.

I don't make much money with the studio, though I have a few regular clients and I pay the rent and spend the rest on new gear from time to time.

What I'm trying to say, is that if you're motivated, you can do anything you like. I am an extremely busy person, though - my social life and hobbies suffer from time to time... but it all balances out in the end, and I'm as happy as can be
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Nut

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions professionally, even though my post was a little too explict about myself. I honestly feel that I must get a bachaler's degree but if I plan on being a producer or an artist in the future, do I need to do other courses? I know the college I plan to go to won't teach me how to work in the music business.

PS: I am planning to attend Penn State for Information Technology.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nihal View Post
Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions professionally, even though my post was a little too explict about myself. I honestly feel that I must get a bachaler's degree but if I plan on being a producer or an artist in the future, do I need to do other courses? I know the college I plan to go to won't teach me how to work in the music business.

PS: I am planning to attend Penn State for Information Technology.
I doubt anyone can really teach you how to work in the music business; it's something that can be learned, but realistically can't be taught in a classroom.
If you want to work in music, but you want to earn money, don't focus on the creative aspect, use your free time away from work for that, but focus on providing a service to the creative people. You could program and write plug-ins and develop for manufacturers (since digital gear isn't going away anytime soon) or you could pursue post production mixing or you could get an internship or low level position in a label/mgmt firm/music publisher/whatever, and these things will give you contacts and exposure enough so that when your creative stuff is ready the paths will cross.

You just need to think creatively and ditch the mentality that going to the university will kill your music career. For every man or woman who ditched that path to give it their all and become successful I could show you a 1,000 people who either went back to school later in life or are just losers scraping by with whatever... It doesn't hurt to diversify a little.

Good luck.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Depends on what you want to do. Personally, I like just getting educated. I think it's every man's duty to expand his intellect as much as possible before he dies. But if you're taking courses and know exactly what you want to do, it's up to you, I suppose. Personally, I think some basic knowledge of physics and electronics might be pretty handy if you plan on working in a studio. Can't go wrong with a little bit of holistic learning.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Addict

What should I do in my life?

It's all time management, I spent 4 years doing nothing, and still got my degree with a pretty good classification. Had I spent all that downtime doing something productive on the side instead of drinking and playing xbox who knows what I could have achieved musically. Tho in The 4th year I did have a band setup in my basement, and everyone I played with I knew one way or another through uni, so I suppose there's that.

And also, my degree permits me to live where I want and earn a living, and I can funnel my disposable income into gear, which I can play a music on.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Nihal, my advice would be for you to get a degree in computer science with a concentration in network security. This way you can work a steady job that pays well and on your off time you can cultivate your music and buy lots of toys which of course can be quite expensive both on the instrument side and the recording side.

I wish you the very best of luck and definitely take time to relax and make music while you pursue your degree.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Hello, first off I did use this site a while ago to talk to people, but I haven't logged in and realize that people have been pretty good with answers, but I want to introduce myself first before asking the question.
Forget about your talents and what you want.

The world is NOT what you think it is trust me and take this word of advice and you'll thank me much later.

Become a teacher. It's basically a part time job with a huge salary, pension, and benefits. You'll retire rich at 50.

On all your spare time, THEN do what you want for fun like music and computers.

You won't listen now, but I hope you remeber this post and look back and say 'damn he was right I should have just went into teaching'.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgood View Post
Nihal, my advice would be for you to get a degree in computer science with a concentration in network security. This way you can work a steady job that pays well
Lol... sorry I had to laugh at that one..
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedavid00 View Post
Lol... sorry I had to laugh at that one..
No need to be sorry but why do you think that's funny?
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Definitely do not forget about your talents..
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Maniac

errr?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedavid00 View Post
Become a teacher. It's basically a part time job with a huge salary, pension, and benefits. You'll retire rich at 50.
In what stratosphere?? Where I'm from (VA) teachers have less benefits than in most private industries, not even to mention Govt jobs.
Salary is ridiculously low, benefits? Most schools don't even have maternity leave, you need to rack up enough vacation and sick time to have a kid. You can be the best teacher in town, you still won't get a bonus either.
Wait and see what your salary is going to get you in 40+ years when you retire compared to other industries.
Teaching is NOT the job to have these days, it should be the one with the most perks if you ask me, but society has decided otherwise...
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear
Move to PA teachers do very well for the amount of time they actually work. The biggest benefit is they have plenty of time to pursue other things like music. You have the entire summer off to play every chance you get, not to mention every holiday. Theres no overtime, no running to seminars all over the place, etc. It pays decent and you can usually retire early. Oh, and the curriculum is alot easier than IT by a long shot.

You got one thing going for you by choosing Penn State it's a terrific school.

Good Luck in school and remember a degree won't automatically change things for you, it's all what you make of it. There's plenty of people with degrees that work in your local grocery store. You have to beleive in yourself and work hard to get noticed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRose View Post
In what stratosphere?? Where I'm from (VA) teachers have less benefits than in most private industries, not even to mention Govt jobs.
Salary is ridiculously low, benefits? Most schools don't even have maternity leave, you need to rack up enough vacation and sick time to have a kid. You can be the best teacher in town, you still won't get a bonus either.
Wait and see what your salary is going to get you in 40+ years when you retire compared to other industries.
Teaching is NOT the job to have these days, it should be the one with the most perks if you ask me, but society has decided otherwise...
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Can't help thinking of this.

More seriously, maybe making music/sound for computer games or electronic devices might be a way to use your skills.
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

maybe get a CCNA / CCDA and see if you like that field..
Old 23rd June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Here is a video of myself demonstrating something:

I normally don't like to put myself on the internet because I feel that I am ugly, but don't count that against me.

So based on my talents, What would you recommend me that I do for my career?
That's amazing. I am flawed by your ability to hear notes. How did you discover this talent? Is that rare?

Anyway. I definitely can't do that. (i had to check with my guitar tuner, and you were spot on)

Regards
Josef Horhay
Mixing Engineer
www.acoosticzoo.com
Old 1st July 2011
Lives for gear

Teaching? Huge salary? How about no. It's not a lucrative field, and the only people who do it well have a passion for it.

I was a teacher for three years out if college and it was very hard work, with little pay. The older teachers who'd been doing it for years were a cynical, burnt out to a crispy carcass lot.

The best thing you can do is have a skill that is both marketable and portable, in a field that will be relevant for years to come. The best scenario is one where you can set a rate that pleases you as an independent contractor, and set your hours based on your financial needs, and your needs to have freedom for creative pursuits.

Your talents and passions do matter, if you want to enjoy your work.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search