The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Educational Dilema Turntables
Old 19th December 2010
Here for the gear

Educational Dilema

I've struggled for the past 7 years with my learning disability that had forced me to drop out of high school. My constant anxiety attacks prevented me from going back to school, and the only place i've truly felt at home is in front of a computer or behind turntables. I've forced myself to get a therapist and have turned my life around by going back to jr. college and focusing on schooling, and im doing pretty good (4.0 GPA).

Since I have alway been involved in electronic music, I wanted a degree relevant to the audio field. Through the AES website I found out that the University of Southern California has a great BS program for Music Industry with a Technology option and I can even minor in recording! Also on the AES website USC was listed as roughly 600/Unit. I got super excited, worked hard this semester made significant sacrifices in order to meet the high standards of academics USC is looking for. I felt like my life was finally on the right track.

Well, last night I found out that USC is actually 1200 a unit. An enormous miscalculation. Even with financial aid, government loans, and a scholarship I wouldn't be able to afford USC. I know that there are schools that have music programs, but USC has exactly what I am looking to get into. I feel pretty ****ty right now. I just placed an order for a new Mac Pro 6-core, and it wasn't able to cheer me up. Now if I was a young 21 yr old, this wouldn't be such a big deal. But I am 26, not enough industry experience nor time to get a job to save up.

Eh, I'll still be working toward that goal though. Just a really crappy feeling being financially held back from my goals.

Thanks in advance for any comments, thoughts, support you guys give.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Addict

You will make it.
All the guys going there next year which will get their stuff paid by their rather wealthy parents have never had the opportunity to develop the strength of will and level of dedication you have during the last years.
Save up and go there or don't do it and apprentice and work your way up. It's your decision. But if someone with your story came to me, asking about an internship at my mid/high- end studio, I would command you to be there at 9 am the next morning.

And come on- age has become completely irrelevant these days. Especially in branches like ours.

Keep going and all the best!
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Dude, sometimes people tend to give up the closer they get to their goals. Please keep this in mind and don't let it happen to you. If it's tougher for you to get in at 1200, then so it will be for others too.

I'd say keep saving up and try to get in the next semester/school year. In the meantime, keep reading, keep making mixes, keep busy.

Best advice I can give.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Check out the programs at:

Middle Tennessee State University
Belmont University (Mike Curb College of Entertainment and Music Business)
State University of New York (SUNY), Fredonia

They have excellent programs and you might find them more affordable and perhaps even qualify for some scholarship money.

Cheers,
--
Don
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

When life gives you lemons... cut yourself and squeeze the juice in it... after that bout of elevated pain, you'll look at your current situation and go, while it could be better, it could always be worse and experiencing the worse will keep you motivated for the better...
Old 20th December 2010
Here for the gear

Thank you guys for all kind words of encouragement. Typing that post helped me feel a little better, and then reading your comments helped a great deal more. I'll continue to work towards USC and if it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen because of financial reasons. I'll be fine knowing that I gave 110%. Id Ridden is right, Life could be worse. I've experienced it living in limbo for 7 years not knowing what direction to take my life.

Thanks you guys!
Old 21st December 2010
T1M
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenfire View Post
You will make it.
All the guys going there next year which will get their stuff paid by their rather wealthy parents have never had the opportunity to develop the strength of will and level of dedication you have during the last years.
Save up and go there or don't do it and apprentice and work your way up. It's your decision. But if someone with your story came to me, asking about an internship at my mid/high- end studio, I would command you to be there at 9 am the next morning.

And come on- age has become completely irrelevant these days. Especially in branches like ours.

Keep going and all the best!
Why are you hating on people with wealthy parents? Its not like we can choose who gives birth to us. Sounds an awful lot like jealousy to me...
Old 21st December 2010
Here for the gear

Educational Dilema

I didn't take that as an attack on rich kids. I took it more as an inspirational comment that succeeding on ones own merits yields better long term results than being given an easy ride. But personally speaking, I don't hold any kind of resentment to kids going there without financial problems. It way my personal responsibility to save money, I just didn't think I was capable to succeed academically. So instead I bought audio gear and learned everything I could online.

posted this through my iPhone.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Conway View Post
I didn't take that as an attack on rich kids. I took it more as an inspirational comment that succeeding on ones own merits yields better long term results than being given an easy ride.
Exactly. There is no hating at all involved- I don't get why 'hating' seems such a popular term these days.
There is a major difference in your attitude depending on the way you reached your goal. And my experiences and especially those of friends working at such institutions lead me to this conclusion.
I'm sorry if you felt offended, T1M.

All the best!
Old 21st December 2010
T1M
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenfire View Post
Exactly. There is no hating at all involved- I don't get why 'hating' seems such a popular term these days.
There is a major difference in your attitude depending on the way you reached your goal. And my experiences and especially those of friends working at such institutions lead me to this conclusion.
I'm sorry if you felt offended, T1M.

All the best!
No problem mate
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Well, last night I found out that USC is actually 1200 a unit. An enormous miscalculation. Even with financial aid, government loans, and a scholarship I wouldn't be able to afford USC.
You can't know that until you fill out the FAFSA and get an offer. It's impossible to know how much grant money they have to give out until you apply for it. The deadline at USC for transfer students isn't until Feb. 1, so I think you still have plenty of time to find out for real instead of guessing.
Old 21st December 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
You can't know that until you fill out the FAFSA and get an offer. It's impossible to know how much grant money they have to give out until you apply for it. The deadline at USC for transfer students isn't until Feb. 1, so I think you still have plenty of time to find out for real instead of guessing.
I really appreciate you pointing that out. Unfortunately, the Fed direct loans only give about 9k per year. Even then it caps out at 30k (total). Financial aid is at max 9k a year. My credit is shot so I wouldn't qualify for a private loans either. The deadline for the Thornton school of music is earl December so i'll have to wait till next year anyway.
On the AES website I read that USC is 600 per unit meaning that with summer school I was estimating my tuition per year at 30k. With 2/3 of the tuition covered I would be able to come up with the rest. Now that i've realized that the number on the AES website was wrong, and tuition is really 1300 per unit that means tuition will really be upwards of around 50-60k. This is excluding any types of scholarships I may be awarded. Coming up with 30-40k per year wont happen, but the school does say they help out students that have been accepted. So we'll see what happens with that. On the other hand I just found out that CSUN has a music industry BA and it only costs 5k per year so I will pursue that as a back up if all else fails.

But thanks

I wish I had just kept optimistic instead of being obsessive about this.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
This is excluding any types of scholarships I may be awarded. Coming up with 30-40k per year wont happen, but the school does say they help out students that have been accepted. So we'll see what happens with that. On the other hand I just found out that CSUN has a music industry BA and it only costs 5k per year so I will pursue that as a back up if all else fails.

But thanks

I wish I had just kept optimistic instead of being obsessive about this.
All college plans require multiple angles of attack. There are plenty of things that can cause your most cherished plans to fall apart at the last minute. It happened to me when my first choice failed to process my FAFSA and then said they had already reached their limits. My backup school was fine, though, and that's where I ended up getting my degree.

My son is facing the same tuition you're facing. $50k per year is about right for private or out-of-state public schooling these days. How are we going to come up with it? Well, I know part of it, but I don't know all of it. We're just going to have to take our best shot and see what happens. It might not turn out the way he has dreamed for years. Necessity is the mother of invention, though, and you never know what you're capable of until you try. But that's all you can do.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search