The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Do you have a nickname? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 17th July 2003
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

Do you have a nickname?

My nickname from Jr. High on that started with friends then segued into local rock bands (college years) was "Megathroat"
due to the habit of speaking/singing LOUDLY.
So...

How did you get yours?

Chris
Old 17th July 2003
Mindreader

Bev is not my real name
I was named after the drummer Bev Bevan from ELO when I joined a funk band straight after music college
I got the gig as keyboad player
It was the first band I ever played in
They wore Chino's and wore their bass guitars too high
I wore an Ozzy Osbourne tour t-shirt, and long curly hair down to my shoulders and ripped jeans looked like a total ex-student
My real name 'Julian' didn't seem appropriate to them, and it was easier to shout 'Bev' across the rehearsal room
'Hey, you're like that scruffy guy from ELO, wassisname, erm Bev Bevan' was as simple as it started
I then shared a house with some of these guys. It got to the stage where my mum would phone up and ask for Julian and she'd get 'sorry wrong number'
After about a year I actually started introducing myself as Bev, which was wierd at first but the name had won
That was 16 years ago
BevvyB was in fact another nickname I got when I started the songwriting thing a couple of years after the band. Some of the guys at the studio we had thought it sounded a bit more showbiz
I met Jules at that time, which was lucky, because we started working together as soon as we met and there was no confusion with us both being called Julian!
To this day, if someone calls me Julian, I go into 'mum phonecall' mode. No one calls me Julian any more except my mum and my aunties
Wierd huh
Old 17th July 2003
Jules

In the South UK / London area folks with local or "Cockney" acents struggle a little with "Julian" or rather, their pronounciation of it kinda trips over itself & ruins it..... "Jew-lay-uhn" comes out rather ugly IMHO

"Jules" is easy for every one. Again, one sylable nicknames are popular for local folks.

Girlfriends dont like it much and my Uncle, Julian Otto (!!!!) Standen isnt as keen either.

Old 17th July 2003
Lives for gear

When I was jsut out of high school and had my head shaved, my friends named me "Fathed" on account of my not-quite-girlish figure and that rool of skin at the base of the skull.... Steve was way too common to yell in a crowd, and "hey Smith" didnt really help any...
Old 17th July 2003
Gear Addict

i got "fat joe"at school (i'm neither fat (well ok maybe slighty overweight these days, but not then), nor is my name joe - long story), gradually it just became fatty. many of my friends don't even know my real name.
Old 17th July 2003
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

Interesting stuff!

Jules, sorry I didn't notice the new forum.
Excellent idea, hopefully it'll stay.

Chris
Old 17th July 2003
Gear Addict

spent a summer out on the road with an artist. when we came back into town, she asked me to officiate her wedding (i'm a licensed pastor in addition to hopeless gearslut).

All the players and industry folk who were there were a bit suprised to see me up front in a suit, so the nickname "Rev" (as in Reverend) has been picking up steam. not sure whether I should encourage it or not.

-sm
Old 17th July 2003
Lives for gear

I play guitar...

Last name's McLeod...

"TooLoud McLeod" has dogged me for years. Could of been worse I suppose.
Old 17th July 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

My family almost always calls me Jax unless they want to get serious - then it's Jackson...

My closest friends call me Jack, my regular friends call me Jackson, and I get "No, your first name, please" or "Is that your first name?" almost every time I buy or sign something in person. Not much fun, but I'm used to it and I usually don't snap at 'em. heh

Also, not that it matters at all, but people often think they're going to meet a black guy before they ever see me. Anyone for stereotypes? I usually ask them if they've ever heard of Jackson Pollack or Jackson Browne.

Oh yeah, a well-meaning but poorly decided upon nickname that faded acquaintances have tried to make stick: Action Jackson. I'll usually start calling the person something equally as stupid until they get the point, like Fantastic Fred....... ....... ... .. . .. . .. ..... .
Old 17th July 2003
Gear Guru

I don't have an actual nickname. But, on a record I produced recently I played a slide guitar part. For those of you who don't know, my trained instrument is percussion. I had the part listed as "drunken bottleneck guitar." I was also seeking a "nome de plume" for the credit. A local guitar tech calls me Tony the Tonemaster so the credit is Tonemaster T, which I have also decided will be my hip-hop name.
Old 17th July 2003

I was called Van growing up and through college.
In college, I got The Vanimal nickname. As in, The Party Vanimal...

If you know me very well, then you can call me Vanimal.

These are my college pals who called me Vanimal
Old 17th July 2003
Gear Head

I've had a few but none stuck.... Thank GOD!!!

Let's see: Jonny, Jon Boy, Big Jon, Little Jon (I'm 6'4" so I get those alot), Lurch, and Yanni (could never figure that one out).

If you talk to my wife it's most likely Sh*thead.

Hey EveAnna. Did you go to SEAS or Columbia College? I was at SEAS for three semesters before burning out. Your comment about Carmen brought back some baaaaaad memories.
Old 17th July 2003

The Vanimal was CC '90
I thought about doing the 3+2 SEAS+CC routine for double major but after spending all my life in school already, by 1990 it was time to finish up and get on with something else, namely what i do now.
Old 17th July 2003
Gear Addict

I am known by many names....
Old 18th July 2003
Gear Addict

Somehow I've amanged to procure the nickname "Sleazy D", for the obvious reasons that a) I'm known for being rather lewd and inappropriate at times, and b) my name starts with the letter D (Danny).

heh
Old 18th July 2003
Lives for gear

Well,

I actually started clubbing when i was 15 - and my band mates (who were all in their 30's) nick named me "Jr"....... which my parents hated like hell since i wasn't............. so i kept it till my mid 20's.........

But currently tis "Rocket" - i think that might have something to do with my being ADHD...............

ummm............. what was the question?

Happy Hunting to all of you - and hope you have a magnificent weekend..........

Rod
Old 19th July 2003
There is only one

seems my handle [and variations] have now become attached as a nickname.
Old 19th July 2003
Alfa, do you still have a link to the sound clip 'about' your nickname? It was / is very interesting, care to post it for us folks here?
Old 19th July 2003
There is only one

alphajerk
Old 20th July 2003
Lives for gear

Alpha,

Thanks for that - it was a riot............

Rod
Old 21st July 2003
Gear Maniac

hi all...lurked for so long i feel like i know you guys<sniff>
Now that i've become a total slut over the last 3 months(14 new pre's racked/racking...)

hmmm lately i've been known as Tungstengruvsten - came from a 'smoky ' car trip with a buddy, we were talking about german woodworkers for some reason and tongue and groove woodwork...out came tungstengruvsten...it stuck. Now everyone online thinks i'm a swedish headbanger or something...

Sure beats out the last two...Stickymidget and Househead (tête de maison)
Old 22nd July 2003
Gear Maniac

my band has dubbed me "sexcrime". No....it's not what you're thinking. When we tour and I don't get enough sleep, I start saying all kinds of crazy perverted things.
Old 24th July 2003
Gear Maniac

When I would beg my lover for more sex she would say I
sounded like a "Wounded Aardvark" The name stuck and
she did not...except to the sheets. ( I am I allowed to say that
around here? If not I will temper future extemperainity (sic?))

Cheers,
Aardvark
Old 24th July 2003
Lives for gear
The only nickname I've ever had was "Stevie Wonder."
Old 24th July 2003
Gear Nut

Well, I've had (have) a few:

My name's Jose, so the traditional mexican nickname is Pepe, which all my spanish friends call me.

Growing up it was Bumpies, becasue I had a nice round ghetto bootie and my mom thought it looked like 2 bumps.

This eventually morphed into just bumps

One time I was drunk on a bus in san francisco, and decided my boots were killing me so I took them off and passed out. A friend got on the bus and found me shoeless. so for about 5 years I have been shoeless jose

I front a mexican rock and roll band here in London, where I am know as Chuy (Traditional nickname for a guy named Jesus. Band name: Chuy and the Desicples).

My wife calles me portly stallion.

I'm a such a big fan of Belgium and Belgium beer that my mates there have made me an honorary citizen. They call me Jose Flanders (which I think has some kind of simpsons link).

I do also get the "No Way Jose" quite a bit.

Oh yeah, and my grandfather (god rest his blessed sole) used to call me Hose B, becuase he had 5 grandchildren with the first name of Jose. My older cousin got Jose, I was Hose B, my next younger cousing got hose C, then the 4th was Junior, and the Fith was pepito. I am not making this up.
Old 25th July 2003
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

Talking

Bop, you mean you're not hosing us.

Chris
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search