The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The new age artists are SO f**kin LAZY!!!
Old 30th July 2010
Lives for gear

The new age artists are SO f**kin LAZY!!!

Ok the thread title makes it seem like I am old, in fact im only 22. But Ive been working in studios since I was 15 so i know a little about work ethic and such!

I want to hear your opinions on this. Firstly I've been mad, as some of you may or may not know, I had an artist on my Label, "Young Swayzz" And put his single out, done all the promo, paid for all expenses, set up his pages, etc etc etc. He enjoyed the ride, he enjoyed looking good on FB and using it to get girls etc. BUT, he didn't enjoy hard work or legwork for single promo etc. I on my own got the track in the Irish top 50 singles charts, I know its only Ireland right, but nonetheless an accomplishment for one mans work. He spent the first 2 nights with us handing out flyers and complained how it was harder than a real job!!!

I had finished with this guy months before this, then I find out the song is getting airplay and been requested so i give him one more shot. Again hes late for sessions. Doesn't follow trough on his word. Expects to picked up, dropped off, fed. There was days he wouldnt turn up and I would go out for lunch or cigarettes couple of hours later swing by his house to find him playing playstation or messing around with a couple of weak and irritating 18 yr olds!

I will not lie i learned a lot in my time working with him, because i learned how to put a record out, i learned about isrc codes and registering with chart companies etc. So its not all a loss. This story goes on and on and on. There is some drama and stuff such as me taking him to a side of a mountain to try talk some sense into him. There is heated arguments when he thought i changed his fb password, or when he was too dumb to find his fan page!! He was very unnapreciative for all the months and hours and even literally sleepless nights i spent getting him radio interviews, magazine interviews etc, while he was at home sleeping, or working his security job sitting at a desk pretending to "write". Then he would come to the studio with less than a verse. The day i really knew i wanted out was when he took 5 hours to write to a beat and the got int the booth and said i forget i wrote it.

When the record went on sale he never once asked how it was doing. Release week was supposed to be everyday hitting schools, and streets with flyers then every night using facebook to promote to his european (Irish market) which is the fan base i built for him. I really should of done all this for myself. Hes a compulsive liar stil in his securty job. With no hunger like he claims to have. And he is part 1 of this thread, i could go on about this guy, but i wont.

The second guy and my reason for starting this thread is a VERY TALENTED young song writer. Now this guys is making moves in the sense he works a lot harder than the before mentions "artist" But he always has to be one step ahead. Hes not part of my label or whatever u wanna call it but we do some projects together. I had to cut down working with this guy because he constantly lies. Ill call him to see whats up and he will reply not much, just chillin in the studio with "Will.I.Am" Or he will come into my house and see i have company and be like, Ey i just got a placement with Jason Derulo.

Silly lies that always have to put him ahead of you in some form. But its so pathetic because its easy to tell when hes lying. For the most part. He gave the rapper a soundclick beat from Johnny Juliano who is a big name on soundclick u guys probably know og him his stuff is pretty good. But its all tagged. He gave the rapper a beat of his and says he did it. We then played with him and called him and were like we just heard the beat u have me in the dudes car next to us, HAHAHA his response was priceless, he was like, "You sure? OH,.. does he look hispanic, we like yea, on thats my dude pico, gave it to him yesterday! HAHA, anyways the stories could on about this guy also. Im sorry for the huge rant. But I will get to my point!

So yesterday while recording, its a track we are working on for a paying project a little out of the box of what we do, a theme song for a dance show. So obviously there's not as much love when its outta your range BUT i l am critical of my work and want it to be the best it can no matter what its for. Him on the other hand who likes to act like hes is the same. (Which i can explain from other stories but i wont) Got lazy yesterday and just start recording takes of bull****. And saying its cool, I like it lets move on. it clearly wasnt. We got on to a good start the first day then yesterday the laziness just took over and was trying to fill in the gaps with bull****.

The song should of been written before the first day and knocked out in one day. He had the track and plenty of time. Now we are on day 3 recording and he is a no show so far. As he has a "Very important meeting" I wont even mention where or who with!

But my point being, which may seem like why the hell all this before u told this point kinda weird YES and i went way off Track yes kinda, but i needed to vent haha!!

Anyways my point is people settle for less these days in more ways than one, Vocal takes, and fix it laters are so acceptable its a shame! I like to get it right from the get go. I want it to be good going in. The TAKE, the SIGNAL, the PERFORMANCE, the DYNAMICS, EVERYTHING!!. But these guys do a half ass job and expect it to be smoothed out with the mix.

I give 2 examples, but im basing this off of a lot of people! Even when working in professional studios with huge artists, ive seen RUSHED takes, where its left to the engineer to care about it. Back in the day as i believe from reading, and coming up under old school engineers, they would do a take and do it again and again and over and over till it was right! Nowadays thats a NO NO. It gets done. It gets "FIXED" and bam it is what it is!

I just wish artists would put a little more care into their work, and understand it needs to be good going in.

Dont get me started on the ones who think they know it all, the second guy i mentioned in this spends a few hrs on Logic and thinks he know all about reverb and eq, its comical. He directs my sessions and tells me to Put "xyz reverb" Put "xyz eq" and its so clear he knows nothing about what hes talking about other than he wants to sound like he does! I hate it!!

Then the first guys has absolutely know respect for our craft, or the fact we went to school or spent years as an intern or assistant learning what we did. He will say to your face, that its expected for FREE and that music/beats are WORTH about $20. What a ******! Ok some music maybe, BUT COME ON!

I think he irritates me more than anyone, well him and my neighbor.

Sorry for the long ass rant! But people these days DONT seem to Understand HARD WORK is A MUST!! IN ANY BUSINESS!

Im sure everyone here can relate to this. And those who take time to read this rant, i appreciate it. But isn't it a terrible shame how in this day, people just dont seem to WORK like they should, except for the few GEMS!.

I am no DR.Dre. or Simon Cowell, im not a rich label exec, but i did give the first artist the best opportunity in his life thus far, Free production, recording, promotion with the heart i havent even done for myself. Put every last penny into his release. And the thanks i got, was a nice big F**K YOU VERY MUCH. fuuck

Ill defeintely be very wary about who i work with in the future, oh and mr swayzz above, also stole from me. Which a no no where i come from, your own people stealing but then again it was quick to see hes not one of my mine as hes a different breed in the sense of his attitude. I told him not to worry about the money he owed me for the **** he stole until he paid for his artwork and half the lawyer fee which altogether was 300, he had his 9-5 i didnt my job was him. How fair can you be, I seen. $0.00 of what he owed and im not the type to let **** go, its not about the money but the disrespect.

He was in foster care and ****, but acts like he came from a very privileged background, by not caring about anything. if you know what i mean.

So just in case any of you guys come across a young swayzz, dont do him any favors and dont let him in your studio because you will be at risk.

Other than that, Lets hope a people start to work harder! People care more about quality and undersand its their job just as much as the engineer and the gears.

Old 30th July 2010
Gear Nut

damn..these guys sound like bustas

at least u learned somethin...and next time make sure guys ur pickin up have a gameplan and have at least SOME of the future thought out...
Old 30th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedreamz View Post
damn..these guys sound like bustas

at least u learned somethin...and next time make sure guys ur pickin up have a gameplan and have at least SOME of the future thought out...
You can be sure about that. I refuse to work with anyone now that doesn't have the drive of a train and the hunger of a hippo lol whatever way u can put it!

But you know what i mean!
Old 30th July 2010
Gear Maniac

Seems like a lesson a lot of you guys working in hip hop have to go through! Some of that stuff would just enrage me - it's all a learning experience though right? You'll be better off now having gone through that. Totally feel your need to rant though, and maybe it'll help some other people having read it.

Seems like a large section of that generation is very similar...Don't get me wrong, every new generation is complained about and called 'lazy' etc. but I think it's different now. People's word doesn't mean **** anymore! What happened to your word being your bond and respect, common decency? Not everyone is so bad but sometimes it seems like the vast majority are.
Old 30th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusChris View Post

What happened to your word being your bond and respect, common decency? Not everyone is so bad but sometimes it seems like the vast majority are.
RIGHT??

I have Loyalty and Respect tattooed on my arm, I like to try and live by that, there is very little of it left in the world! Its sad!
Old 30th July 2010
Lives for gear

word, **** yanni!
Old 30th July 2010
Lives for gear

Welcome to the muzik biz,bro.
Old 30th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
+1

90% of dudes are unfortunately full of sh!t.
Old 30th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaKid View Post
+1

90% of dudes are unfortunately full of sh!t.
Granted and this is well known. But dudes who are tying to come up in the game? When i was an intern man, i was there every hr ouf every day, i got talked to like ****, i was made do ****, and get spoken to in ways that if it happened on the street id f**k you up. But i let my pride, and **** down for the love of this ****, for the hunger and drive i have to make it.

I would work 17-18 hr shifts, and i literally didnt get one dime. I was back in the am on time every morning while the boss would sleep. And send me on runs and go back asleep. These cats, would never do what i did, NEVER. Ok im not the most talented dude in the field. I broke off from engineering and touched to many areas i havent fully mastered one. But my music is defintley getting to a place where i believe its as good as nearly anything esle out there, but im always improving.

I left school(well got kicked) at 14 and graduated as an "engineer" at 17.

I changed my whole lifestyle, i stopped been a punk, i stopped bringing the cops to my moms door. I worked hard in that college because i loved to learn what i like to call my career.

How are you gonna tell me you are trying to be someone but you cant put a full days work into your music. Please. And here i am today again with a no show artist, who let me remind you is getting a nice paycheck outta my gig, which last year was his FIRST PAY CHECK EVER FROM MUSIC. AND LIKE WISE THE RAPPER I MENTIONED EARLIER. His first was this same project last year!

Ill NEVER EVER FORGET MY FIRST PAYCHECK IN MUSIC OR WHO HELPED ME GET IT.

Todays no show, does get around quite a few studios recording tracks but the only person to get him a nice little pay packet thus far, ME.

Is respect too much to ask for in this game. Because i dont disrespect anyone i work with. Nor am i difficult to work with. Im easy going and very tolerant and have a lot of patience and sense og humor which is sometimes hard to find in this business.
Old 30th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
No sh*t Soulman! Now i understand why your always angry ;-) hahaha.
Old 7th August 2010
Gear Head

Damn, sounds like you went Hard with these dudes, I would LOVE to have someone do half as much for me, seems like those cats don't appreciate any damn thing. I'm sorry to hear that man it's hard to find people with Talent AND work Ethic. There are cats like me out here trying to do everything themselves who find it extremely hard and would Kill to have the chance and backing those guys had, unfortunately people like that ruin it for people like me.
peace
B

BPAYNE | Concord, NC | Hip Hop / Street Science / Rap | Music, Lyrics, Songs, and Videos | ReverbNation
Old 10th March 2013
Here for the gear

I think there is a big msconception that doing music for a living is easy, always fun, filled with parts and women. In reality at first its nothing like that when you first start working with a artist set some ground rules tell them there is going to be many sleepless nights many recording takes.
my father told me something when I was young and I lied about stupid stuff he said "people would rather hear a borring truth then a great lie" and if I know someone is a lier ill throw that in there in hopes it stops. Hope this helps try picking someone who really wants it I know people would kill for someone like you to help them out and wouldnt take it for granted

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search