The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Whats your day job? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 28th July 2017
Lives for gear
A Custodian at a well known recording Studio.
Old 6th August 2017
I do door-to-door fundraising & organizing for a local political non-profit organization.
Old 6th August 2017
Lives for gear

I am now a paediatric Behavioural Therapist. I work mainly with children with Autism.

alexP
Old 8th August 2017
Lives for gear

I'm 30, currently live in USA, but due to my medical conditions, probably caused by Chernobyl disaster in 1986 in USSR, (vasovagal syncope, chronic fatigue, sleep apnea, extreme anxiety, unstable blood pressure )
I can't find suitable work and don't get any help from government or insurance.
So I'm trying to come up with some business that I can start by myself.
if anyone has any ideas please let me know. (I'm pretty good with computers and soldering).
Old 29th August 2017
Gear Head

1988 - 2012 - Professional Bass player (Mostly Corpo gigs)
1995 - 2012 - Freelance soundman ; I started that to help finance the other job.
2012 - now - Soundman/TD in a downtown theater , full time job.
Old 29th August 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by fokof View Post
Freelance soundman ; I started that to help finance the other job.
You know, I've heard of a whole bunch of different jobs that people worked in order to support their sound engineering job. (To make a living in the first place, but often also includes owning equipment).
But I think this is the first time I hear anyone working sound to support another job
Old 29th August 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by livebox View Post
You know, I've heard of a whole bunch of different jobs that people worked in order to support their sound engineering job. (To make a living in the first place, but often also includes owning equipment).
But I think this is the first time I hear anyone working sound to support another job
Yep
Making a living 100% out of music is a lot tougher than Sound IME but I must say that I was very lucky with my first soundman gig : I was well payed to learn in a small show place , lots of different style of music ..... learned a lot in those first years.
The Musician's experience I had helped a lot.
(Particularly for monitoring duties)
Old 11th September 2017
Here for the gear

Music and drama teacher by day - composer, poet, and podcaster by night(s) and weekends.
Old 12th September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amidei View Post
Music and drama teacher by day - composer, poet, and podcaster by night(s) and weekends.
Sounds like a nice balance.
Old 13th September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexIrving View Post
I used to work as a manager at a logistics company, but later I decided to learn web design. As everything comes with practice, I build websites by means of different wordpress car repair themes. This job allows me to earn money and be in charge of my time.
Sounds pretty cool and very satisfying.

Are you freelancing? If so, maybe your experience in that field could teach some people here valuable lessons about getting/keeping clients in the audio/music field.
Old 18th September 2017
Gear Head

Former corporate slave, now independent marketing consultant working with agencies and businesses to manage online advertising campaigns. My office desk is also my home studio so I can flip back and forth throughout the day!
Old 20th October 2017
Gear Head

Semi-retired professor, tech entrepreneur/ceo before. Started out as EE chip designer, moved to business side. Pretty serious classical pianist since age 4 but chickened out on the starving artist thing. Did a little tv/film scoring 25 ears ago and want to do it again with my son who is a recording industry student.
Old 20th October 2017
Gear Nut
University Student (reading French and Spanish in the UK).
Free time - improving my production skills as I would ideally like to go full-time after my degree.
Old 26th October 2017
Software. Currently stuff that runs on ridiculously powerful computers. All sorts of software previously. Originally hardware and r&d. Techy stuff.
Old 26th October 2017
Lives for gear

Disabled at the moment as a result of a violent accident me and fiance were involved in..
But most recent jobs to oldest:
-Per diem cook at retirement home
-expo at high end American grille
-cracker barrel lead
-forklift/cherry picker operator at warehouse that ships/receives hooker shoes from China
- Cook at sports bar
-wood splitter
-every position under management at several grocery stores
(I'll stop there.. I've had literally like.. 30 jobs.)
Old 29th October 2017
Lives for gear

I'm @Fraud investigator. Looking for suspicious IP addresses everywhere, all day long....
Old 31st October 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisJB View Post
Software. Currently stuff that runs on ridiculously powerful computers.
Powerful in the sense of clustered computing?
Old 1st November 2017
Quote:
Powerful in the sense of clustered computing?
yes, distributed processing and so on
Old 1st November 2017
Lives for gear

Farrier
Old 2nd November 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisJB View Post
yes, distributed processing and so on
I see. Spent some years setting up and administrating HPC clusters for customers, in the x86 world.
Old 3rd November 2017
Quote:
I see. Spent some years setting up and administrating HPC clusters for customers, in the x86 world.
Cool. I don’t set them up, more designing and writing the algorithms to run on them and use them efficiently. Lately, Spark mostly, plus various other things.

Is good fun if you ask me. One single dataset for us is bigger than would fit on the average computer, we have to process it quick sharp, reliably and correctly
Old 7th November 2017
Here for the gear

DJ

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search