The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Whats your day job? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 24th October 2011
Lives for gear

Music store seller.
Old 24th October 2011
Lives for gear

Software Quality Assurance Intern.

I run programs all day long and compare their output against output from prior versions of the same program. So boring. But hey, knowing that is worth being bored for eight months...now I know to avoid it once I graduate...
Old 24th October 2011
Gear Addict

I work in the IT department at a nuclear power plant.
Old 24th October 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaTech View Post
Wow! Great thread, although I decided to bodyswerve the politics and guns...

I'm currently a support worker working with Adults with Learning difficulties and in the evenings I'm a projectionist at a tiny Independent "Arthouse" Cinema and occasionally I work in the various Museums located in my fair town.

However, just this week I have applied to join the Marines.
Good thing you swerved the politics and guns in this thread. You'll get plenty in the Marine Corps.

heh
Old 24th October 2011
Here for the gear

sound effects editor
Old 26th October 2011
Lives for gear

Are there any mathematicians or physicists here?
Old 26th October 2011
Lives for gear

No job, I'm studying to become an electronics assembler. Hopefully will learn enough so I can start to make my own gear.
Old 26th October 2011
Here for the gear

After years working an office job and a few years as a touring guitarist I can finally say I'm a full-time producer and recording/mix engineer. Good feeling.
Old 26th October 2011
Lives for gear

well im back driving trucks. I love the open road, and i really love all the time i get to spend listening to music while im working.

i dont like the long days however. i got behind the wheel at 1am today and didnt get home till 2pm this arvo... it gets a bit much
Old 26th October 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid_emu View Post
Good thing you swerved the politics and guns in this thread. You'll get plenty in the Marine Corps.

heh

Sorry old chap, I should have qualified that as the Royal Marines, what what. But yeah, same thing.
Old 26th October 2011
Gear Addict

lawyer

my "regular life" is usually sorted out by 8 pm. after that there's usually 1-4 hours of keeping the dream alive.
Old 26th October 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushton View Post
I'm a theoretical particle physics graduate student. Been reading this forum a lot lately, though only one post before this as you see.
Old 26th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSCSTimo View Post
I'm a theoretical particle physics graduate student. Been reading this forum a lot lately, though only one post before this as you see.
That's what I would love to get into. My main love is maths, but I really enjoy particle and nuclear physics also. Music is also definitely up there but I don't really dream of "hitting the big time" any more.
Whats the job market like for particle physics? I'm assuming a PhD is handy for it.
Old 26th October 2011

Quote:
Was one!!

now a score mixer/producer.
Old 26th October 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
That's what I would love to get into. My main love is maths, but I really enjoy particle and nuclear physics also. Music is also definitely up there but I don't really dream of "hitting the big time" any more.
Whats the job market like for particle physics? I'm assuming a PhD is handy for it.
Yes, pretty much the only jobs for a particle physicist are in research, and you'll need a PhD for that.

I'm on a kind of a last big push for trying to "hit the big time" with my band, if we don't make it by the time I finish my PhD that's it then, I'll delegate music purely to a hobby.
Old 26th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSCSTimo View Post
Yes, pretty much the only jobs for a particle physicist are in research, and you'll need a PhD for that.

I'm on a kind of a last big push for trying to "hit the big time" with my band, if we don't make it by the time I finish my PhD that's it then, I'll delegate music purely to a hobby.
Yeah thats what I thought. Thats where I would to end up....maybe in CERN haha.

Yeah music is one of those things that you need to have as much luck as talent as there are so many talented people out there.
Old 26th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman View Post
Was one!!

What did you do?
Old 26th October 2011

Quote:
What did you do?
Research mathematician at NTU (Nottingham) into linked and unlinked particle movement in virtual environments. Basically wave modelling to solve a plethora of wave movement issues in many disciplines..... so from sound waves in various physical media to particle models in cloth/smoke etc etc. Pretty mad times!
Old 26th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Research mathematician at NTU (Nottingham) into linked and unlinked particle movement in virtual environments. Basically wave modelling to solve a plethora of wave movement issues in many disciplines..... so from sound waves in various physical media to particle models in cloth/smoke etc etc. Pretty mad times!
Sounds like you would have had differential equations coming out your ears haha
Old 26th October 2011

oh yess......

Sometimes wish Id stayed in the field. Landed a big record deal by accident many years ago and switched over to this..... I think I would have regretted more the "other way round" though....
Old 26th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Was one!!

ok, how did you get this job?
Old 26th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
oh yess......

Sometimes wish Id stayed in the field. Landed a big record deal by accident many years ago and switched over to this..... I think I would have regretted more the "other way round" though....
Yeah thats very true. You could always get back into maths one day if you wished but it would be much harder to get a spot in the music industry like you have later down the track
Old 26th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

Yeah music is one of those things that you need to have as much luck as talent as there are so many talented people out there.
I feel the opposite. I think there are plenty of knowledgeable able people. But talent and good taste are scarce. but that is down to opinion
Old 26th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleestack View Post
I feel the opposite. I think there are plenty of knowledgeable able people. But talent and good taste are scarce. but that is down to opinion
Yeah I still believe you need a fair amount of luck to make it. Doesn't matter if your a band, a producer or a mixer you still need to get a break (generally a hit song you contributed to whether it be a commercial or an underground success) before you start to get enough work to truly be a professional in the biz. But hey I never actually made it so I don't really know either. It's just the conclusion I have come to after talking to a lot of people and reading this forum for a while.
Old 26th October 2011

Quote:
Yeah thats very true. You could always get back into maths one day if you wished but it would be much harder to get a spot in the music industry like you have later down the track
it's been 20 years though.... my mind would find it tough!
Old 26th October 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleestack View Post
ok, how did you get this job?
Lot's of luck although technically I don't have a job - I own a multitude of industry related companies.
Old 26th October 2011
Gear Maniac

IT operations manager
Old 26th October 2011
Lives for gear

Driving to the law firm to sign off on my monthly trust installment.

Somewhat shameful actually, depending on who you ask.

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 26th October 2011
Gear Nut

glad to say mixing/recording engineer
Old 26th October 2011
Gear Addict

Graphic Design/Print Media

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search