The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Whats your day job? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 10th December 2010
Here for the gear

Commercial HVAC/R Technician/Business owner
Old 10th December 2010
Gear Addict

Sales & Performance Analyst for one of the big energy suppliers in the uk.
Old 10th December 2010
Lives for gear

boom operator/sound engineer/ sound mixer assistant, working in film industry ))
but also compose music for avderts from time to time.
and i have a little music tech service - repairing and modding hardware, building different noiseboxes..
Old 14th December 2010
Lives for gear

Pianist/Composer/Arranger/Producer/Father

I pay the rent as a ballet and modern dance accompanist. I finance my gear addiction composing music for dance and theater productions, miscellaneous gigs as a pianist/keybordist, etc. All of my income comes from music... but I have to wear many hats to make ends meet.

My dream is to have enough income from music production, compositions, mechanical royalties, album sales, etc. so I never have to leave the house! Performing is particularly stressful for me. I quit touring after becoming a father - my favorite job of all !!!

Great thread BTW. Missed it the first time around. It's really interesting to read just what all people do. I was particularly impressed by the Fireman/Musician combo! A noble way to finance one's gear, I must say!
Old 27th December 2010
I'm a producer, engineer & programmer. Artist too.
And I also run a Music Technology department in a college.

Keep pretty busy! :D
Old 27th December 2010
Here for the gear

Emergency transport tech at a children's hospital here in Miami. I also work for a marketing research group for my night job. I work myself to the bone but it pays for school and my studio/business investments. thumbsup
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict

Partner in a music licensing/composing company. I also do a fair share of session work. I also teach 20+ private students per week.

The commercial/TV/Film music world has been in a free fall the past few years. Budgets have been getting slashed and the "halcyon" days of producers, supervisors, buyers paying respectable $ for original or fresh music a thing of the past. Might be a thing of the future too but for now its mostly quantity with a few docs or indies that require creative composing.

I've been doing more sales work than composing the past few years. This biz used to be a set it and forget it thing, nowadays its a constant job to stay in contact and make new contacts. Complaining gets you nowhere, so its adapt or be thrown to the side of the road.

I will say this ASCAP is doing a hell of a job defending artists rights and right to payment. Composers/artists have to stop giving their music away for nothing. Until that happens those that need it will continue to treat it like an afterthought instead of a commodity.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gongbass View Post
Partner in a music licensing/composing company. I also do a fair share of session work. I also teach 20+ private students per week.

The commercial/TV/Film music world has been in a free fall the past few years. Budgets have been getting slashed and the "halcyon" days of producers, supervisors, buyers paying respectable $ for original or fresh music a thing of the past. Might be a thing of the future too but for now its mostly quantity with a few docs or indies that require creative composing.

I've been doing more sales work than composing the past few years. This biz used to be a set it and forget it thing, nowadays its a constant job to stay in contact and make new contacts. Complaining gets you nowhere, so its adapt or be thrown to the side of the road.

I will say this ASCAP is doing a hell of a job defending artists rights and right to payment. Composers/artists have to stop giving their music away for nothing. Until that happens those that need it will continue to treat it like an afterthought instead of a commodity.
I would be very interested in reading your opinion on that last part. What you mean when you say that artists give their music away for nothing, can you bring some examples ?

And thanks for the insight of the industry. I am certainly interested.

It would be nice if you opened a thread and epxressed your opinion, many people would benefit from it , including me.

I think this forum would greatly benefit from a thread where pros discuss the industry and he can ask questions.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Nut

Whats your day job?

Backline Tech (mostly guitars) for national touring acts.

Do other jobs as well, production manager and pro tools operator on ocassion.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilon View Post
I would be very interested in reading your opinion on that last part. What you mean when you say that artists give their music away for nothing, can you bring some examples ?

And thanks for the insight of the industry. I am certainly interested.

It would be nice if you opened a thread and epxressed your opinion, many people would benefit from it , including me.

I think this forum would greatly benefit from a thread where pros discuss the industry and he can ask questions.
I'd be happy to answer any questions anyone wants to throw at me. However I'm simply not self important enough to start a thread to do it. If you want to and there's any interest then by all means do so and let me know.

I'm lucky in that I've been able to make a living in the music biz for the last 10 or so years (I'm 36). I'm not a name many would recognize however I've composed hundreds of jingles and scored lots of TV/docs, etc... As a session drummer I've again played on hundreds of recordings, from "ghost drumming" on major label releases, sideman on hundreds of indie, grassroots, soundtrack releases.

I was a "staff composer" with a private boutique music production house in NYC from 2001-2006. It was the greatest job I've ever had. Comfortable weekly paycheck, work from my home studio and "comfortable" deadlines. Learned so much in terms of what works and what doesn't scoring to picture. Also learned the ropes as to how you deal with the creative team of an advertising campaign or producer/director of a show you are doing music and cues for.

Eventually I left that job for the horrendously difficult world of freelance. There are many that make their living this way (and as a session drummer I guess I do still freelance) but its a hard road. After a few years of that I became a partner in a start up music licensing/custom music company (FlikTrax Home - Premier Production Music Licensing -). We have a vast online library that is constantly updated and "meta tagged" as well as a team of in house composers to handle any custom scores, jingles or sound alikes that come in. We built the company the right way and have had surprising success with the current state of the industry. That being said its a "sh!tload of work", we want to do right by and for our artists so we are constantly marketing ourselves. We do as many industry conferences as possible, we meet with respected industry supervisors and network producers but happily deal with local advertising companies for local ads as well as independent film makers.

I've learned more than I'd ever thought I'd know about this business and for better or worse this industry will be what I do for the rest of my life. I continue to gig a bit, teach and as I mentioned do session work as a drummer (mostly from my home studio or Fliktrax's larger facility) but the production music and music licensing biz is my life.

When I mentioned artists "giving away" their music I was referring to what so many young composers and songwriters are forced to deal with when trying to get their work heard and licensed. If the composer or artist isn't working with a larger concern and doesn't have representation than they are often if not always faced with "licensing" their tracks for next to nothing or at best "copy and credit". On one hand I know that every artist needs to build their resume and get experience. Trust me I've done my share of freebees but whats happening now is production budgets are getting slashed and that means little $ for music. Especially original, non "library" tracks. On the other hand, the more musicians give away their tracks and services for free, the more those that used to pay for it, will expect it for free.

The market is saturated with young composers, some are talented folks that don't have any "real" musical education or experience. Many create amazing tracks in their home studio and these tracks get used in certain niche areas of media. Electronica (that's covering a lot of bases for the sake of not breaking into genres) is still a huge style that gets "bought" for TV/Film/Ads.
However once "in the industry" many of these composers learn that if they can't expand they don't get that much work. So they are still trying to pitch to the same markets as the veterans but when an ad guy says "actually we're scrapping the BT (used to be Moby) sound-alike and we want to go in a Americana, rootsy direction... oh and we need it tomorrow at 3. Make sure you hit :23 when the girl smiles and your reverb tale has to be out at exactly :29.5" I know a handful of DJ type composers that are crazy talented but have gotten dropped form ad companies rosters because they can't meet the technical demands.

I went to music school and after I graduated took a few classes on SMPTe and locking music to picture. Those classes helped but its really work experience and learning to pick up on the most ambiguous and esoteric requests from those on the visual side of the project. We are lucky as a company that we have a few experienced guys ready to go at a moments notice. We literally can get a call at 2am from a producer that needs a :60 to
become a :45 and "change the drum n bass loop to a Indian Tabla thing" and have it ready by lunch. That is my big advice to anyone that wants to get into this business. Be good and be fast. If you are lucky enough to work on a full length film or documentary than you get to enjoy a much more relaxed creative pace. The director will "spot" the film with you and you can bounce ideas off them as you write. However the "film" industry is an extrememly difficult one to break into. I haven't in terms of ever scoring a major hollywood release but I've been fortunate enough to work in almost every other area.

To make a long story short, if you have questions about what I do by all means PM me or start a thread. I'd be happy to talk about what I've learned as a composer, music licensing, and session player (I'd probably be the most help there actually). I believe in helping any musician I can. I always had good karma helping my fellow musos as opposed to trying to cut them. I can't tell you how often I use competing composers for projects when we are too busy. They do the same to us. I recommend a handful of great NYC sessions drums that don't charge Shawn Pelton rates, when I'm too busy or not really the right guy for a session.

Just let me know how I can share my experiences and I'll do it.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

mixing and mastering engineer.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Nut

mix engineer
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

freelance graphic designer, painter and studio owner

- currently developing a line for AriseNow Apparel Co.
- also finishing 2 albums and getting ready to install my studio into the next house I move into.
- a craptonne of freelance jobs: Nickelodeon Animation, Villains Production Co., The Red Star and Metal Hurlant comics, Atlas Pictures and Joseph Somers Studio. Assorted logo design, ID packages and pre-press work.
- I made 'Natuk' and 'Pirates of the Western Sea' w/ Proudfoot Games in college.

art pays better than music these days, typically
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Nuclear Physicist (seriously).
Old 31st December 2010
Here for the gear

I write device drivers for audio hardware.
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Head
School Teacher
Old 31st December 2010
T1M
Gear Maniac

University student, not really a job but its what I do during the day.

On a full scholarship, mom and dad are generous enough to cover living expenses.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaft9000 View Post

- also finishing 2 albums and getting ready to install my studio into the next house I move into.
- a craptonne of freelance jobs: Nickelodeon Animation, Villains Production Co., The Red Star and Metal Hurlant comics, Atlas Pictures and Joseph Somers Studio. Assorted logo design, ID packages and pre-press work.
- I made 'Natuk' and 'Pirates of the Western Sea' w/ Proudfoot Games in college.

What kind of work have you been doing for Nick?
Old 31st December 2010
Here for the gear

day jobbed

first post....hello slutz i wind the G.H.S. boomers and such, for now.
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Maniac

Uni student
DJ + Promoter + Event organiser
Admin for the mundane day time
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

mild-mannered janitor

(ok not really - IT bod)
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Nut

recording engineer
sound engineer student
live sound ( but i suck at it)heh
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'd be happy to answer any questions anyone wants to throw at me. However I'm simply not self important enough to start a thread to do it. If you want to and there's any interest then by all means do so and let me know.

To make a long story short, if you have questions about what I do by all means PM me or start a thread...................

Thanks for sharing this, and yes I am going to open up a thread for this , this forum seriously needs advice from people who have been there and really worked with the industry and can advice newcomers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaft9000 View Post

Music is not art ? heh

I think you should be banned, immediately.

Any chance you can share a link to your "art" ? I would love to see it.

My plan is to become a pro digital painter in around 5-10 years, its been my dream this year and it grows stronger every day. I always loved painting but I never took it seriously cause I felt I sucked at it way more than I sucked at music. But I am taking it seriously now.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilon View Post
My plan is to become a pro digital painter in around 5-10 years...
Πυθία Παπανδρέου has already predicted that 5 minutes of ZBrush time in 10 years from now will cost 40.000.000 euros approximately.

May I suggest rock climbing as a more viable alternative?heh
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurDarkness View Post
Πυθία Παπανδρέου has already predicted that 5 minutes of ZBrush time in 10 years from now will cost 40.000.000 euros approximately.

May I suggest rock climbing as a more viable alternative?heh
Are they any viable alternatives in this country ? heh

One is allwed to dream no ? If we kill our dreams, this is one of a hell boring life.
Old 25th February 2011
Gear Addict

Bond Trader.
Old 25th February 2011
Gear Addict
A&R. I listen to music all day at hellomusic.com
Old 26th February 2011
Gear Head

Product Manager - designing 'puters for gaming
Old 26th February 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:

I'm lucky in that I've been able to make a living in the music biz for the last 10 or so years (I'm 36). I'm not a name many would recognize however I've composed hundreds of jingles and scored lots of TV/docs, etc... As a session drummer I've again played on hundreds of recordings, from "ghost drumming" on major label releases, sideman on hundreds of indie, grassroots, soundtrack releases.

I was a "staff composer" with a private boutique music production house in NYC from 2001-2006. It was the greatest job I've ever had. Comfortable weekly paycheck, work from my home studio and "comfortable" deadlines. Learned so much in terms of what works and what doesn't scoring to picture. Also learned the ropes as to how you deal with the creative team of an advertising campaign or producer/director of a show you are doing music and cues for.

Eventually I left that job for the horrendously difficult world of freelance. There are many that make their living this way (and as a session drummer I guess I do still freelance) but its a hard road. After a few years of that I became a partner in a start up music licensing/custom music company (FlikTrax Home - Premier Production Music Licensing -). We have a vast online library that is constantly updated and "meta tagged" as well as a team of in house composers to handle any custom scores, jingles or sound alikes that come in. We built the company the right way and have had surprising success with the current state of the industry. That being said its a "sh!tload of work", we want to do right by and for our artists so we are constantly marketing ourselves. We do as many industry conferences as possible, we meet with respected industry supervisors and network producers but happily deal with local advertising companies for local ads as well as independent film makers.

I've learned more than I'd ever thought I'd know about this business and for better or worse this industry will be what I do for the rest of my life. I continue to gig a bit, teach and as I mentioned do session work as a drummer (mostly from my home studio or Fliktrax's larger facility) but the production music and music licensing biz is my life.

When I mentioned artists "giving away" their music I was referring to what so many young composers and songwriters are forced to deal with when trying to get their work heard and licensed. If the composer or artist isn't working with a larger concern and doesn't have representation than they are often if not always faced with "licensing" their tracks for next to nothing or at best "copy and credit". On one hand I know that every artist needs to build their resume and get experience. Trust me I've done my share of freebees but whats happening now is production budgets are getting slashed and that means little $ for music. Especially original, non "library" tracks. On the other hand, the more musicians give away their tracks and services for free, the more those that used to pay for it, will expect it for free.

The market is saturated with young composers, some are talented folks that don't have any "real" musical education or experience. Many create amazing tracks in their home studio and these tracks get used in certain niche areas of media. Electronica (that's covering a lot of bases for the sake of not breaking into genres) is still a huge style that gets "bought" for TV/Film/Ads.
However once "in the industry" many of these composers learn that if they can't expand they don't get that much work. So they are still trying to pitch to the same markets as the veterans but when an ad guy says "actually we're scrapping the BT (used to be Moby) sound-alike and we want to go in a Americana, rootsy direction... oh and we need it tomorrow at 3. Make sure you hit :23 when the girl smiles and your reverb tale has to be out at exactly :29.5" I know a handful of DJ type composers that are crazy talented but have gotten dropped form ad companies rosters because they can't meet the technical demands.

I went to music school and after I graduated took a few classes on SMPTe and locking music to picture. Those classes helped but its really work experience and learning to pick up on the most ambiguous and esoteric requests from those on the visual side of the project. We are lucky as a company that we have a few experienced guys ready to go at a moments notice. We literally can get a call at 2am from a producer that needs a :60 to
become a :45 and "change the drum n bass loop to a Indian Tabla thing" and have it ready by lunch. That is my big advice to anyone that wants to get into this business. Be good and be fast. If you are lucky enough to work on a full length film or documentary than you get to enjoy a much more relaxed creative pace. The director will "spot" the film with you and you can bounce ideas off them as you write. However the "film" industry is an extrememly difficult one to break into. I haven't in terms of ever scoring a major hollywood release but I've been fortunate enough to work in almost every other area.

To make a long story short, if you have questions about what I do by all means PM me or start a thread. I'd be happy to talk about what I've learned as a composer, music licensing, and session player (I'd probably be the most help there actually). I believe in helping any musician I can. I always had good karma helping my fellow musos as opposed to trying to cut them. I can't tell you how often I use competing composers for projects when we are too busy. They do the same to us. I recommend a handful of great NYC sessions drums that don't charge Shawn Pelton rates, when I'm too busy or not really the right guy for a session.

Wow...thank you for sharing this. Seriously...i appreciate it!
Old 26th February 2011
Deleted User
Quote:
Be good and be fast.
That is completely true.

Last year I had the chance of hitting a music composing/production for some tv show and their production schedules are crazy.

I swear there were times me and my partner had 2 days to compose/produce 30 minutes of music... that meant 48 hours of almost non stop, lots of red bulls, coffee, sleep deprivation, etc. There was a week I slept like 10 hours the whole week...

They still owe us a lot of money.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search