The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Whats your day job? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 24th March 2010
  #271
Gear Addict
 
Resonant Serpent's Avatar
 

You're wrong about the guy who shot the two with the shotgun. He went out and told them to leave, and they turned on him and threatened him. He only shot them when they crossed over into his property. I would certainly hope that I'd have a neighbor that was willing to cross that line for me if my gear was getting stolen.

Four years ago some of the neighborhood kids broke into my studio and stole all my gear. I went to the police about it, and nothing was done. I eventually heard through the grapevine who it was, and went to the police about it. I didn't know at that time that the head cop was the guy's uncle. The cop tipped him and his friends off that I knew who they were, and they dumped my gear into a stock pond to hide it. I only got that information because I found out one of the guys was legally an adult, and I beat the stuffing out of him until I found out what happened. The police never filed charges against them. I couldn't get a lawyer to take the case because they didn't want to go up against the cops. I've never received a penny of compensation from anyone, and I've never been able to recover enough financially from that blow to replace everything that I lost. If I had caught them stealing my gear, I would have shot them. I would have come out better because of it. If you really think that losing material possessions isn't that big of a deal, then feel free to send me your gear to make up for what I lost. I bought most of my gear back before my wife was disabled by fibromyalgia, and I simply don't have the money to replace it.
Old 24th March 2010
  #272
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resonant Serpent View Post
You're wrong about the guy who shot the two with the shotgun. He went out and told them to leave, and they turned on him and threatened him. He only shot them when they crossed over into his property. I would certainly hope that I'd have a neighbor that was willing to cross that line for me if my gear was getting stolen.

Four years ago some of the neighborhood kids broke into my studio and stole all my gear. I went to the police about it, and nothing was done. I eventually heard through the grapevine who it was, and went to the police about it. I didn't know at that time that the head cop was the guy's uncle. The cop tipped him and his friends off that I knew who they were, and they dumped my gear into a stock pond to hide it. I only got that information because I found out one of the guys was legally an adult, and I beat the stuffing out of him until I found out what happened. The police never filed charges against them. I couldn't get a lawyer to take the case because they didn't want to go up against the cops. I've never received a penny of compensation from anyone, and I've never been able to recover enough financially from that blow to replace everything that I lost. If I had caught them stealing my gear, I would have shot them. I would have come out better because of it. If you really think that losing material possessions isn't that big of a deal, then feel free to send me your gear to make up for what I lost. I bought most of my gear back before my wife was disabled by fibromyalgia, and I simply don't have the money to replace it.

So you would kill people that steal your gear?

Im really sorry to hear about your wife, but the rest of your attitude doesnt fly. The value of life seems to be completely skewed where you're from... Im also sorry for your material loss, but happy you havent killed anybody over a mic, a compressor, a synth or whatever. That, is ridiculous - and to be blunt, fkin scary.
Old 24th March 2010
  #273
Gear Addict
 
Resonant Serpent's Avatar
 

/facepalm
Old 24th March 2010
  #274
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasprouch View Post
So you would kill people that steal your gear?

Im really sorry to hear about your wife, but the rest of your attitude doesnt fly. The value of life seems to be completely skewed where you're from... Im also sorry for your material loss, but happy you havent killed anybody over a mic, a compressor, a synth or whatever. That, is ridiculous - and to be blunt, fkin scary.
If someone is breaking into your home, I don't think it's that farfetched to think that they would do you serious harm/try to kill you if you caught them in the act. I don't see anything wrong with protecting yourself in case of such an event. I don't think many people WANT to kill someone breaking into their home but I also think that not many people want to die because someone broke into their house.
Old 24th March 2010
  #275
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resonant Serpent View Post
Well, your attitude doesn't fly because you're living in a country that has a great quality of life because of it's collusion with the ****s and helping to hide money for the uber-rich of the world. Good luck getting that blood off your hands.
I salute your rhetoric, and the complete BS that comes along with it... because of Switzerlands neutrality and banking thievery, nobody here feels the need to pull out guns and shoot a thief? I suppose you believe nobody gets robbed around here?









Either way, it took you two posts to bring up the ****'s.

Godwin's law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

you officially killed this discussion .
Old 24th March 2010
  #276
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resonant Serpent View Post
Four years ago some of the neighborhood kids broke into my studio and stole all my gear. I went to the police about it, and nothing was done. I eventually heard through the grapevine who it was, and went to the police about it. I didn't know at that time that the head cop was the guy's uncle. The cop tipped him and his friends off that I knew who they were, and they dumped my gear into a stock pond to hide it. I only got that information because I found out one of the guys was legally an adult, and I beat the stuffing out of him until I found out what happened. The police never filed charges against them. I couldn't get a lawyer to take the case because they didn't want to go up against the cops. I've never received a penny of compensation from anyone, and I've never been able to recover enough financially from that blow to replace everything that I lost. If I had caught them stealing my gear, I would have shot them. I would have come out better because of it. If you really think that losing material possessions isn't that big of a deal, then feel free to send me your gear to make up for what I lost. I bought most of my gear back before my wife was disabled by fibromyalgia, and I simply don't have the money to replace it.
[rant]
I sympathize with your situation. A few years back, my apartment got broken into repeatedly over the course of a few months and a lot of my gear was stolen in the process. Talked to the police, and nothing happened. I found out from my neighbors in the complex that they saw the guy who owns the property walking out of my apartment with some gear in his hands. Told the police about this, they didn't do anything. I later found some of my guitars at a pawn shop with serial numbers matching the ones I had recorded. Once again, the police did nothing.

I didn't have a gun then and I don't have one now because it's just not something I feel safe around. If I had one and I was there when it happened? I'm the type of person who does value his gear more than the lives of others. Synths brings me joy. People can bring me joy as well, but not the same sort of giddiness that I find in exploring the manipulation of sound waves and discovering new sonic realms. I don't think I would have killed him, though as I'd probably have been too frightened/too chicken to test the limits of legality in this situation. I like to imagine that had I the courage, I wouldn't have killed him anyway. Death is too easy. If you kill somebody, all you've done is sent them into nonexistence. Where's the justice in that? I'd like to have done something that would have caused more of an impact. Maybe anally rape him with a gun or something like that (perhaps more clever and terrifying?) where he won't be dead, but he'll be too afraid of what could potentially happen to him to ever step out of his home again. I would think that living a life of fear would be far worse than merely turning off the light switch in his head.

In regards to the gun issue, generally I am pretty much pro-gun control, though as somebody else pointed out, Canada and other countries have way more guns than Americans do, and yet they don't have nearly the amount of gun crime that we do here. So maybe the problem isn't the usage of guns, but the people themselves? Others have suggested that when Americans visit their nations, they generally bring their problems with them. Reeducation would be nice but as evidenced in this thread, Americans are stubborn. Perhaps a little extreme, but maybe genocide is the solution?
[/rant]
Old 24th March 2010
  #277
Lives for gear
 
bitman's Avatar
Self employed computer tech dork.
Old 24th March 2010
  #278
Lives for gear
 
piotr's Avatar
 

wow...

funny how a perfectly nice thread for people to share their "other-than-audio" occupations degenerated into "anal rape with a gun" invocations...

nice going gents!

p.
Old 24th March 2010
  #279
Lives for gear
 

I am paid for my strong back. Not my strong mind
Old 24th March 2010
  #280
Lives for gear
 
djanthonyw's Avatar
 

Gynecologist
Old 24th March 2010
  #281
Lives for gear
 
Dirty Halo's Avatar
 

Exclamation

I find it hard to believe that people with an open heart enough to choose creativity as their passion and/or profession could value human life so little!

Stuff is just stuff.

Shoot people over gear??!

Too bad, this was a nice thread and an interesting insight... maybe more than I bargained for (where's the "despair" icon?)

Maybe this is just internet bravado... maybe not. Either way, please reconsider.


-Andrews
Old 24th March 2010
  #282
Lives for gear
 

Its too late for America it appears everyone owns guns so I guess you have to carry them, glad we don't have that in the UK; particularly as we have some trigger happy upstanding US citizens here at Gearslutz somehow completely highlights the point you give someone a gun and they'll use it .. for a country so advanced its a shame some are so very backward



But then look at George Bush
Old 24th March 2010
  #283
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid_emu View Post
I've watched the Steve Irwin show and that **** looks crazy. We've got some wicked little beasts here but you guys got mad poisonous critters. You've even got poisonous blades of grass that stick you like a hypodermic needle!
Its not that bad - you've gotta be doing something silly to be bothered by most things over here.

But it's the Drop Bears you really got to worry about.
Old 24th March 2010
  #284
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitman View Post
Self employed computer tech dork.
Ditto.
Old 24th March 2010
  #285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
[rant]
I sympathize with your situation. A few years back, my apartment got broken into repeatedly over the course of a few months and a lot of my gear was stolen in the process. Talked to the police, and nothing happened. I found out from my neighbors in the complex that they saw the guy who owns the property walking out of my apartment with some gear in his hands. Told the police about this, they didn't do anything. I later found some of my guitars at a pawn shop with serial numbers matching the ones I had recorded. Once again, the police did nothing.

I didn't have a gun then and I don't have one now because it's just not something I feel safe around. If I had one and I was there when it happened? I'm the type of person who does value his gear more than the lives of others. Synths brings me joy. People can bring me joy as well, but not the same sort of giddiness that I find in exploring the manipulation of sound waves and discovering new sonic realms. I don't think I would have killed him, though as I'd probably have been too frightened/too chicken to test the limits of legality in this situation. I like to imagine that had I the courage, I wouldn't have killed him anyway. Death is too easy. If you kill somebody, all you've done is sent them into nonexistence. Where's the justice in that? I'd like to have done something that would have caused more of an impact. Maybe anally rape him with a gun or something like that (perhaps more clever and terrifying?) where he won't be dead, but he'll be too afraid of what could potentially happen to him to ever step out of his home again. I would think that living a life of fear would be far worse than merely turning off the light switch in his head.

In regards to the gun issue, generally I am pretty much pro-gun control, though as somebody else pointed out, Canada and other countries have way more guns than Americans do, and yet they don't have nearly the amount of gun crime that we do here. So maybe the problem isn't the usage of guns, but the people themselves? Others have suggested that when Americans visit their nations, they generally bring their problems with them. Reeducation would be nice but as evidenced in this thread, Americans are stubborn. Perhaps a little extreme, but maybe genocide is the solution?
[/rant]
ok first off i think if you're going to steal from others for nothing more than monetary profit you are utter, utter scum. and at least deserve a thorough kicking and a hand chopped off - old skool style!

second, lets have a rant about how **** the system and the police are when it comes to theft shall we?.

yes lets

back in the day when we were using widows 3.1 and they cost thousands, my dad had his computers stolen from his small company premises

the police failed to prosecute the guy, even though they had his fingerprints (because they took them from the outside of the window! ) and even though he took like 5 blank checks from the middle of the cheque book from the petty cash draw and wrote himself over £1000 worth of checks. in his own bank, deposited in his own account !! on CCTV!

not only that but they then turned up at our house with a search warrent
because they were randomly staking out the guys that lived next to my dads company premises and kept seeing my dad drive off with brand new computers....

what they failed to realise was it was the SAME brand new computer over and over! my dad was taking it home every night because he couldn't risk having it stolen again!

needless to say there was zero communication between police departments so the guys that turned up at my house with a warrant never knew about my dad's break in... genius.

luckily our neighbour was an ex police sergeant and came over and laughed at them until they gave up on the idea of searching my house. and my bong and porno remained undiscovered. ! yay!
Old 24th March 2010
  #286
Lives for gear
 
pinkerton's Avatar
 

yep sadly police are now useless and apathetic tools of the man.

which sucks, becuase my parents tell me back in the day cops were actually pretty decent people (to other white people anyway)

i literally watched my car get hit and ran on while parked, got the dude's license plate, filed a police report. never heard one phone call. everytime i tried calling them, i got rerouted to a phone that never got picked up. must have left at least 5 messages.

too busy eating donuts to help i guess ...
Old 25th March 2010
  #287
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post
Stuff is just stuff.
Not when you're having to live on ramen noodles just to afford those little bits of joy. Then it's a lot more personal.

Honestly, most of the stuff that got stolen from me I had replaced within a couple months anyway because I was still just starting out at that point. I'd still be more than happy to have a violent moment with the people involved, though. When somebody breaks into your home and steals your belongings, it feels like you just got raped, but without the mess. For a couple years afterward, I was always paranoid about the security of my home. I would stand in front of my door, lock the door, unlock it, and relock it just to make damn sure that I had locked it in the first place. Still, this oftentimes wasn't enough. I would be on my way to work and about halfway there, in spite of having gone through this ritual of making sure the door was locked and secured, I would turn around and go home just to repeat it again and make sure the door was locked. Even if nothing had been stolen, I'd still want very bad things to happen to the people that entered my home just for making me go through that.
Old 25th March 2010
  #288
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mti View Post
I'm a graphic designer and music producer.
That`s a cool avatar design.. so obviously a good graphic designer, Tim!
Old 25th March 2010
  #289
Lives for gear
 
pinkerton's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Not when you're having to live on ramen noodles just to afford those little bits of joy. Then it's a lot more personal.
+1

i actually have to avoid vintage gear because im too poor to maintain that crap. i'll gladly buy slightly used decade old stuff though.

plus i got a piggy bank. it helps.
Old 25th March 2010
  #290
Lives for gear
 
crufty's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasprouch View Post
So you would kill people that steal your gear?

Im really sorry to hear about your wife, but the rest of your attitude doesnt fly. The value of life seems to be completely skewed where you're from... Im also sorry for your material loss, but happy you havent killed anybody over a mic, a compressor, a synth or whatever. That, is ridiculous - and to be blunt, fkin scary.
have to call *********gery!

someone breaks into your property, you shoot, and shoot to kill--what is the ice cube rhyme? bustin caps in the mix, rather be judged by twelve then buried by six?

make no mistake, you aren't killing for the loss of your gear. you are shooting because there are very high chances that someone who breaks into your property is ready to take your life.

loss is loss, and sometimes what is taken is just money to thieves, or even worthless bits of glass, but can be irreplaceable memories covering decades for the original owner. Baby pictures, wedding albums, you name it.

I get the attitude...it's one thing to get hit by a pro. It's another thing to get hit by a meth head looking to carve out $50 worth of pawned goods by taking your tv and microwave and then takes a dump in your bath tub just for grins.

anyway, security alarms are $30 a month; 3M film is $5 a square foot. Good locks are $100-$200. These can really reduce the opportunist and avoid armed conflict all together.
Old 25th March 2010
  #291
Gear Head
 

SAP Basis Consultant
Old 25th March 2010
  #292
Lives for gear
 
timbreman's Avatar
 

Mortgage Modifications for a large bank. I get to talk to people who are losing their homes and blame it all on me....yeeeea.....somebody save me from the evil.
Old 25th March 2010
  #293
41517
Guest
Journeyman Carpenter.
Old 25th March 2010
  #294
Lives for gear
 
toneguru's Avatar
I collect exotic recording gear, play poker online and search San Fran for any sign of a good musician not named Carla.
Old 25th March 2010
  #295
Lives for gear
 
Dogboy73's Avatar
 

UK passport forger for Mossad fuuck
Old 26th March 2010
  #296
Lives for gear
 
piotr's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboy73 View Post
UK passport forger for Mossad fuuck
I actually once met a professional forger. An older guy, who during WWII forged documents to aid in smuggling Jews across borders. After the war it was difficult for him to find a job for his "skill-set"... until someone hooked him up with a famous museum, which was interested in having professional forgeries made of some of their holdings... to be used for display (while originals were held secure in storage).

Goes to show: there is always a job for any conceivable skill... you just have to find your place!

;-)

p.

PS
When I met the guy in Berlin he showed me his Soviet passport, smiled and said: pretty good huh? It was a fake.
Old 26th March 2010
  #297
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufty View Post
have to call *********gery!

someone breaks into your property, you shoot, and shoot to kill--what is the ice cube rhyme? bustin caps in the mix, rather be judged by twelve then buried by six?
Someone breaks into my house and I shoot to kill, its me who gets locked up and given a life sentence. There are no 'Make my Day' legislations that 'll protect from me having shot an unarmed thief. IF the thief walks in with a gun and points it at me, then its a whole different story, but theres a huge difference between the two.

A perfect example is the old man who shot the two unarmed thieves robbing his neighbour. The men were leaving the scene, and HE walked out of his house and shot them. In my eyes its murder because he wasnt threathened until he decided to go outside and confront them... He had two choices and clearly chose the one where he'd end up killing them. A European court would lock him up, and throw away the key. An American court (albeit a twisted one) gave him a pat on the back.

So, no. I wont shoot a burglar with the intention to kill if he walks in my house - might stab him with a steak knife, but I'll do my best to avoid killing him. And if my gear gets stolen, well thats what my insurance is for. Nobodys dying in my house for stealing anything...
Old 26th March 2010
  #298
Gear Guru
 
henryrobinett's Avatar
Unless the law has recently changed, in California, if someone breaks into you house, you can shoot to kill, unless it can be proven he's is exiting and no longer s threat. But if he's in your house, forget it; you can shoot. If he's outside your house, like leaving, you can be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

Oh yes, and in California, there is no self defense law, unless the person is in your house. Most people don't know this.

I worked for years in California State Prisons. There were a lot of folks in there who didn't know you cannot legally defend youself. You get into a fight the law is not really a concerned as you might think who caused what or why.
Old 26th March 2010
  #299
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
Oh yes, and in California, there is no self defense law, unless the person is in your house. Most people don't know this.
Henry, my man . ^ that is shocking.
Old 26th March 2010
  #300
Lives for gear
 
2N1305's Avatar
 

If it still matters, I'm an electronics technologist in the RF field. I finally have the job I've wanted for ten years and sometimes feel a bit... "not so into it" anymore...
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
perple / Work In Progress / Advice Requested / Show and Tell / Artist Showcase / Mix-Offs
2
ScottBrio / Gear free zone - shoot the breeze
0
Jackie Moon / The Good News Channel
8
riecespieces / Rap + Hip Hop engineering and production
111
inlinenl / So much gear, so little time
3

Forum Jump
Forum Jump