The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
If you were seeking success and you had this information what would you do?
Old 6th February 2010
  #1
Lives for gear
 
Realziment's Avatar
 

If you were seeking success and you had this information what would you do?

So lets say you have the address and telephone number for one of the biggest if not the biggest dudes in the game, whom you have major respect for as you should. What would you do. if you only had months to make your dreams come true or if your dreams is to work for this someone. I mean you cant just call with no explanation for having his number and if you do whats the chances of him listening to you? I done that before when i was a young kid i was a studio assistant and got the phone number to Irelands version of simon cowell and called try to get production work, he didnt wan to know, he just wanted to know where i got the number, then i stepped up my game a little and called under an alias, he then told me the man i was looking for was someone else and proceeded to give me the number of the real simon cowells right hand man, now when i contacted this man, Sonny Takhar his name is he was rude and just wanted to know where i got his number and then wanted nothing else do with me. As i was much younger when doing this, i was also clever enough to be respectful, and I wouldnt of done it if i was not hungry and didnt read about other peoples paths to success, like Steven Spielberg for example how he just went into universal and put his name on a trailer door. It seems the old fashion way of people using there balls and hunger is not enough in current times to make some like and appreciate your efforts. what does it take for one to give you a shot. So my question is now I have one of my idols and many in hip hop telephone number and address's, what should I do, how should I utilize it? Should I do anything or is wrong of me to even think about it? I know we all want our shot and we all believe we have put in the effort and got nothing back sometimes. But i really need to be smart about this and do it wisely if i do anything at all. But my time is running out, as i will have to move to my home country pretty soon. Any advice is welcomed and greatly appreciated thank you!
Old 7th February 2010
  #2
Lives for gear
 
godphaser's Avatar
 

Failure is better than regret so try.

But imo, if you call without any recommandation from the person who had the number, it's normal you get kicked, imagine yourself spending your life being annoyed by people always asking for this and that.

On the other side, some people understand what it is to be hungry and can give you a chance.
Old 7th February 2010
  #3
Gear Addict
 
boosh's Avatar
 

Now ,...I demand you tell me who gave you my frikkin' phonenumber!
Old 7th February 2010
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Mr.Amokk's Avatar
 

"You only get one shot, do not miss your chance to blow...this opportunity comes once in a lifetime"... - Eminem - Lose Yourself
Old 7th February 2010
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Realziment's Avatar
 

some great advice here, thanks guys.. and mr amokk that quote might be the perfect quote to get me heard, that might be my opening line.
Old 7th February 2010
  #6
Lives for gear
 
ncoak's Avatar
 

if you got the number from, say, a mutual acquaintance who thought you all would be a good match, go for it. if you obtained it on a fluke or through less than honorable means, why even bother...you'll just piss him off, and rightly so.
Old 7th February 2010
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Lrmusic's Avatar
 

You have zero to lose (worst case scenario he hangs up and doesn't even remember you) and something to gain, so grow some balls and go for it. Have something to offer.
Old 7th February 2010
  #8
Lives for gear
 
godphaser's Avatar
 

Quote:
some great advice here, thanks guys.. and mr amokk that quote might be the perfect quote to get me heard, that might be my opening line.
Don't do it this way, you'll sound like a creepy weirdo.
Old 7th February 2010
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Realziment's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by godphaser View Post
Failure is better than regret so try.

On the other side, some people understand what it is to be hungry and can give you a chance.
You know I always thought this too, before i interned for a pretty big producer, who came up under the biggest apparently. I interened for over a yr w/ no pay. the engineer before me was there 5 yrs on minmum wage, he left to work for a a regular 9-5 to support his family, the producer had many a good story of how he was so poor coming up and how he got his shot, but never had the want or the interest for any of the people working for him to be heard, he didnt want to hear our music didnt want to know if we had any talent and blatantly didnt care for anyone else. This defintely effected how i thought about that situation. And the sad thing was the engineer before me was so loyal as was i, and were made do a lot of very unfair things outside of the job description everyday, aswell as working 18 hr shifts, but the people who were considered the producers people where shown much more respect even though everytime he turned his back they were mouthing off about him, and some where even family. crazy huh.
Old 7th February 2010
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Lrmusic's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by godphaser View Post
Don't do it this way, you'll sound like a creepy weirdo.
+1, this has facepalm epic fail written all over it
Old 7th February 2010
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Realziment's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by godphaser View Post
Don't do it this way, you'll sound like a creepy weirdo.
haha i know but its a good one though. considering the person in question.
Old 7th February 2010
  #12
Lives for gear
 
surflounge's Avatar
beware of California Stalking Law Penal Code Section 646.9
Old 7th February 2010
  #13
Lives for gear
 

If you know you have some "Fo Sho" heat, by all means take a chance. Don't waste your time or theirs if you don't believe "100%" that whatever you're trying to market is extraordinary. I have a business partner that speaks for me and he never fails, he just has a gift with words.
Old 7th February 2010
  #14
Lives for gear
 
Ken Lewis's Avatar
if you have his address, why dont you write him a nice, short, respectful, to the point letter and mail it, along with a CD of ONLY your 3 very hottest things, asking him for 9 minutes of his time to listen to your 3 best things. and make sure they kick ass.

So many people in your position make the mistake of believing your own BS and putting ten or 20 songs on a disc for them to listen to. Personally i'd keep it to 3. If he doesnt hear it in track #1, or track #2, he wont even make it to track 3. if he sees a disc of ten songs, it'll go in the garbage immediately as he will assume it will be too great a time commitment to even bother.

Leave out extraneous ish that he doesnt care about like your bio, picture, life story, stickers, etc.... keep your letter short, to the point, hit him with the music, and hope for the best. Give him things that will waste his time and he wont waste a second chucking it in the garbage.

good luck!!
Old 7th February 2010
  #15
Lives for gear
 
godphaser's Avatar
 

Quote:
You know I always thought this too, before i interned for a pretty big producer, who came up under the biggest apparently. I interened for over a yr w/ no pay. the engineer before me was there 5 yrs on minmum wage, he left to work for a a regular 9-5 to support his family, the producer had many a good story of how he was so poor coming up and how he got his shot, but never had the want or the interest for any of the people working for him to be heard, he didnt want to hear our music didnt want to know if we had any talent and blatantly didnt care for anyone else. This defintely effected how i thought about that situation. And the sad thing was the engineer before me was so loyal as was i, and were made do a lot of very unfair things outside of the job description everyday, aswell as working 18 hr shifts, but the people who were considered the producers people where shown much more respect even though everytime he turned his back they were mouthing off about him, and some where even family. crazy huh.
Yeah I understand, but I said "some people".

Quote:
haha i know but its a good one though. considering the person in question.
If it's Eminem, he'll probably go crazy and shout a loud "NO MORE STAN !!!!!!!!".

Once I read a story about a guy who got his number by a strange way like checking on some company files and he got sued by Eminem.
Old 7th February 2010
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Realziment's Avatar
 

I know not all people are selfish people who forget where they came from.

haha its not eminem.
Old 7th February 2010
  #17
Lives for gear
 
Realziment's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lewis View Post
if you have his address, why dont you write him a nice, short, respectful, to the point letter and mail it, along with a CD of ONLY your 3 very hottest things, asking him for 9 minutes of his time to listen to your 3 best things. and make sure they kick ass.

So many people in your position make the mistake of believing your own BS and putting ten or 20 songs on a disc for them to listen to. Personally i'd keep it to 3. If he doesnt hear it in track #1, or track #2, he wont even make it to track 3. if he sees a disc of ten songs, it'll go in the garbage immediately as he will assume it will be too great a time commitment to even bother.

Leave out extraneous ish that he doesnt care about like your bio, picture, life story, stickers, etc.... keep your letter short, to the point, hit him with the music, and hope for the best. Give him things that will waste his time and he wont waste a second chucking it in the garbage.

good luck!!
Thanks Ken, great advice. Much appreciated, thanks for all your advice guys.
Old 7th February 2010
  #18
Lives for gear
 

If I was sending out a demo cd, I would most definitely put pictures and a biography along with it. Most people relate better that way. Due to this day and age, piracy and impersonation is at an all time high. Most business oriented people want to know who you are as a person and your intentions. 9 times out of 10, if you send a ordinary cdr and a couple of words, it'll get thrown in the trash asap. Image is everything in this industry, even for producers. Without a biography with background and personal information attached, they don't even care to listen. I wouldn't either because I don't know who you are and your intentions as a musician. A picture is worth a thousands words sometimes. People like to be compatible with one another intellectually as well as ability wise. But like Ken said, send out 3 of you hottest joints.
Old 7th February 2010
  #19
Lives for gear
 
Mr.Amokk's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realziment View Post
some great advice here, thanks guys.. and mr amokk that quote might be the perfect quote to get me heard, that might be my opening line.
Id do the same...inspirational-wise...
Old 7th February 2010
  #20
Lives for gear
 
Realziment's Avatar
 

thanks again guys, ill let u know when i decide to act on it. I think i wanna make sure i have all my solid material together first.
Old 7th February 2010
  #21
Lives for gear
 
phillysoulman's Avatar
 

NEVER send out unsoliceted material as it will wind up in the garbage can.
You must be represented by an industry pro such an attorney and/or manager with CLOUT at the label.
This is the professional way to present yourself...otherwise,forget it.
The rap game is the hardest to win because everybody and their mama thinks they are the ****,but more likely than not they aint ****.
If I come off hard,its because Im just "keeping it real",home slice.
Old 7th February 2010
  #22
Lives for gear
 
Realziment's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
NEVER send out unsoliceted material as it will wind up in the garbage can.
You must be represented by an industry pro such an attorney and/or manager with CLOUT at the label.
This is the professional way to present yourself...otherwise,forget it.
The rap game is the hardest to win because everybody and their mama thinks they are the ****,but more likely than not they aint ****.
If I come off hard,its because Im just "keeping it real",home slice.
Some dont have the luxury of either of those people you mentioned. I also dont fit into to the category of thinking im the **** most i come across do,i do not and sometimes i feel its my modest approach that fails me. but i dont ever want to be hollywood like all these fools around me, with the lies and the bull****. but i believe that we can create our own chances and w do not have to follow the rules but we can bend them. I have read your advice in many a writing, but the reality of it is, if everybody went by it, some would never get anywhere. and still doing the same thing 10 years from now. because some have no other skills but to sit ain the studio and make music, not me i have social skills but im just saying. Phily i agree with a lot of things you say but not this time. people need to take chances.
Old 7th February 2010
  #23
Lives for gear
 
phillysoulman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realziment View Post
Some dont have the luxury of either of those people you mentioned. I also dont fit into to the category of thinking im the **** most i come across do,i do not and sometimes i feel its my modest approach that fails me. but i dont ever want to be hollywood like all these fools around me, with the lies and the bull****. but i believe that we can create our own chances and w do not have to follow the rules but we can bend them. I have read your advice in many a writing, but the reality of it is, if everybody went by it, some would never get anywhere. and still doing the same thing 10 years from now. because some have no other skills but to sit ain the studio and make music, not me i have social skills but im just saying. Phily i agree with a lot of things you say but not this time. people need to take chances.
Ive been in the biz for a VERY long time and on both sides of the glass,so to speak....so I am telling you that unsoliced artists dont get any attention and its VERY VERY rare that an industry exec,especially in these tough times would even think of just randomly listening to **** thats not represented by an insider.
I know that I would not and no one I know in the biz would either.
Sorry dude,but thats just the way it is out there and dont believe otherwise as its just the cold hard facts.
Old 7th February 2010
  #24
Lives for gear
 
Realziment's Avatar
 

i understand that, i know thats how its become and makes sense to a certain extent. But this person was once in my position, im saying if im clever about how i approach him if i can make him like me even before we shake hands, i could get a shot right?
Old 7th February 2010
  #25
Lives for gear
 
phillysoulman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realziment View Post
i understand that, i know thats how its become and makes sense to a certain extent. But this person was once in my position, im saying if im clever about how i approach him if i can make him like me even before we shake hands, i could get a shot right?
Nope.. no ****ing way .....it doesnt work that way,home slice.
Not on this planet,anyway.
Old 7th February 2010
  #26
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realziment View Post
i understand that, i know thats how its become and makes sense to a certain extent. But this person was once in my position, im saying if im clever about how i approach him if i can make him like me even before we shake hands, i could get a shot right?
If your shyt hot, it's hot. No need for a middle man. They gonna buy it. Simple as that. The thing is, even people who have been in the business for years don't always know what's hot, hell, listen to the radio. Try your best to get at the artist. If it's meant to be, it will be.
Old 7th February 2010
  #27
Lives for gear
 
Realziment's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
Nope.. no ****ing way .....it doesnt work that way,home slice.
Not on this planet,anyway.
Im not talking about a stuck up exec and my boy used a similar approach weeks ago when we saw akon on the street do a video, akon gave him a chance. So as much as you know and i know u know your ****, you cant speak for everybody.
Old 7th February 2010
  #28
Moderator
 
TonyBelmont's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
Nope.. no ****ing way .....it doesnt work that way,home slice.
Not on this planet,anyway.
For the most part, I agree.
Old 7th February 2010
  #29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realziment View Post
i understand that, i know thats how its become and makes sense to a certain extent. But this person was once in my position, im saying if im clever about how i approach him if i can make him like me even before we shake hands, i could get a shot right?
Ok, I think we need to make something clear here. Before you start calling them/sending them mail, do remember that:

1: They couldn't give 2 ****s about you. They don't know you.
2: There are tons of artists/people just like you out there who try as hard as you to get somewhere.
3: It's not like these people will change your life and you'll become a superstar/successful overnight. The industry is in a bad state right now.
4: They don't want to be bothered, unless someone they know will talk to them about you.

Dream big, but be realistic. The main thing you need to do is to stop thinking that these people will make you famous because they can make some calls etc etc. It's not like that. No, they will not give you a shot.

Your best bet is to network in your city, to build a fan base and something solid before you even think that they will be interested at all. These people will come to you eventually. Don't try to push the revolving door because the only thing you'll do is get stuck while pushing (I used to do this now I stopped and what a difference). Start with a song, a big song that you know will be a smash hit. I'm not talking about any beat, I'm talking about a production that you think will appeal to at least 10 million people out there. If you don't think that 10 million people out there will like your songs and buy them, then you need to go back to the drawing board. Yes, you may have to compromise between creativity and mass appeal.

I need to know, what are you trying to accomplish? What is your definition to success? Are you an Artist or label?
Old 7th February 2010
  #30
Lives for gear
 
Realziment's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislago View Post
Ok, I think we need to make something clear here. Before you start calling them/sending them mail, do remember that:

1: They couldn't give 2 ****s about you. They don't know you.
2: There are tons of artists/people just like you out there who try as hard as you to get somewhere.
3: It's not like these people will change your life and you'll become a superstar/successful overnight. The industry is in a bad state right now.
4: They don't want to be bothered, unless someone they know will talk to them about you.

Dream big, but be realistic. The main thing you need to do is to stop thinking that these people will make you famous because they can make some calls etc etc. It's not like that. No, they will not give you a shot.

Your best bet is to network in your city, to build a fan base and something solid before you even think that they will be interested at all. These people will come to you eventually. Don't try to push the revolving door because the only thing you'll do is get stuck while pushing (I used to do this now I stopped and what a difference). Start with a song, a big song that you know will be a smash hit. I'm not talking about any beat, I'm talking about a production that you think will appeal to at least 10 million people out there. If you don't think that 10 million people out there will like your songs and buy them, then you need to go back to the drawing board. Yes, you may have to compromise between creativity and mass appeal.

I need to know, what are you trying to accomplish? What is your definition to success? Are you an Artist or label?
Thanks for your advice, but yes I do know all of these things, I dont want to be famous. An the individual im talking about is not someone who can just make calls. I'm a producer who has the artist and the material with serios talent. I just lack the marketing time rather than skills.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump