The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
currently listening to: queensryche - operation mindcrime
Old 13th October 2005
currently listening to: queensryche - operation mindcrime

man.. I just discovered this record..

I love it.. the music is great arranged, the production is fantastic and..

wow.. what do you think about this ****?

man I like it a lot
Old 13th October 2005
Gear Addict

The AE that I "apprenticed" under was the second on that record and recorded most of it... great album.
Old 14th October 2005
A freakin' metal classic.

It introduced a lot of bands to the novel idea of "pre-production."
Old 14th October 2005
you mean, that they did it or it would better be for em.. that they have done some pre-production
Old 14th October 2005
I mean THEY did a lot of pre-pro... A lot of "rookie" bands never understood how important it was. When I'd ask them if they had any plans at all for pre-production, I'd just get this blank look...

After that, I'd say something like "Do you think Queensryche just wandered into a recording studio and made Operation Mindcrime with no solid plan?"
Old 14th October 2005
Gear Maniac

Steps to the podium. . ."Hello, my name is T-rex, and I am a fan of Operation Mindcrime."

I had all but forgotten this album when a friend of mine called and said he scored two free tickets to see them here a few weeks ago. It was just them and they opened for themselves. They came out, drummer on a four piece and did about 45 minutes of all of their non mindcrime hits. I must admit they sounded amazing. I never got into their other stuff, but they were incredibly tight and whoever did their sound was amazing, it was literally the best sounding concert I have heard in that venue.

Then after an intermission they came back out, this time all dressed in leather, they cranked the volume up on everything, the drummer switched to a huge double bass kit and they did Mindcrime front to back. It was really great to hear it in it's entirety, but the sound sucked. After they turned everything up, you couldn't hear the vocals very well and they acted out Mindcrime on the stage - it was a little disappointing. They had a huge projection screen behind them. If they had just came out and rocked it out front to back like their first set and used the screen instead of "actors" running around, it would have been amazing!
Old 20th October 2005
thanx a lot for sharing guys!!

I will come up with another thread another day

just to kidnapp my own thread:

I think The Cure - disintegration is a fukin big sounding thing tooo!
Old 20th October 2005
Gear Maniac

Mindcrime in my opinion was one of the greatest metal albums ever ! I was sooo into them in the late 80's ! I got a chance to see the original Mindcrime tour and it totally blew me away. By far the best performance I have ever seen live. They were nothing short of awesome ! I will never forget that show.

-Brian
Old 20th October 2005
Jam
Lives for gear

Loved it when it came out, I'm not sure I'd still like it now though. My taste has changed a lot since then !!!

Jam
Old 6th November 2005
Here for the gear

I have seen Queensryche twice this year (2005). Other than one guitar player change. The band played great!! Very tight.

Some of the keyboards parts, background vocals, and misc parts for the "show/movie" are on/coming from a ProTools rig.

But most of the music is LIVE and real.

Geoff Tate can still sign and really does.

I love the production on Mind Crime. It's full, soild. That album - I mean recording stills holds up today.

Queensryche is suppose to be releasing the "fall up" or MindCrime 2".

Great band.

Check out the EP "the Warning". That's great.
Old 13th November 2005
Gear Head

I met Neil Kernon when he was mixing my band's first disc, and what a cool dude. I was an am a huge Queensryche fan, and drilled him on every question that I could think of, and he happily obliged. He likened working with them very much to what it would be like to work with Queen-tons of creativity and lots of takes.

I think that record was one of the best things to come out-ever.
Old 13th November 2005
I didn't really even know about QR until their big "pop" CD crossover, and then I met them several times in the late 90's at the big studio I used to work at here in the Seattle area.

A couple years back I did a drum loop and sample CD for my Performance Loops series (for Big Fish Audio) with Scott Rockenfield of Queensryche.

All I can say is that Scott is an incredible drummer, and the nicest guy in the world!! No rock star ego or mentality at all. Just very enjoyable to work with!! He got us passes for their concert last year along with Dream theater. Really great show... all those guys can really play and sing.

It was a blast working with Scott in the studio on the drum loop CD, having him play along with all the great QR songs, as well as a bunch of songs from his work with Paul Speers (Hell's Canyon, especially).

After meeting a lot of "rock stars" here in the Seattle area whose egos were bigger than need be, it was really refreshing working with Scott.

Didn't really get to work with the rest of the band, but one of the other engineers at the studio I used to work with, Tom, had worked with them up until their last few albums.

Evidently, from what Scott told me, they've got a great deal with SRO/Anthem, for I believe 5 new albums!

Steve

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search