The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Stolen beats!
Old 16th November 2009
Here for the gear

Stolen beats!

Hi I'm Davide Bassi, my street name is Bassi Maestro,I'm an Italian producer and dj, I've been doin' this since I was 16.
I just wanted to tell everybody how I feel after being robbed of two beats I made, one stolen by Chico the Barge and Talib (the track Math) and the other by rakim (the track is "Working for you" credits to Jake One??).Both tracks have already been released in Italy and sold worldwide on digital stores since 2004.
I know I should have protected and marked my beat cds and shit, and the same thing recently happened with MOP if i recall correct.
I feel ashamed for the artists and the fake producers, I've always loved hip hop now I'm starting to see the true side, I know it happened with bigger productions, but c'mon.
Feel free to help me spread the news.Thanks for the support here are the youtube links with the originals and the stolen ones

Davide "Bassi Maestro"Bassi

Rakim track
YouTube - Tu non mi rispetti - Sano Business
YouTube - Rakim "Working For You" [ The Seventh Seal ]
Chico & Talib
YouTube - kiave - noi contro loro
LimeLinx - File Preview - Free File Hosting and Sharing - Audio, Video, Image
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Head

Hey Davide,

sorry to hear that. That really sucks!

Hope you soon get your props and royatlies for your work.

You got my support!

Best wishes

Low...
Old 16th November 2009
ugh sorry to hear this, happens all the time.
make some fresh beats and protect them.
thumbsup
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

The same thing happened with me. Its a learning experience protect yo shit!
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

and this is it?
nothing happens?
they have uses your beats and you cannot do anything?
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

Sorry you got jacked, but some might say... thats business. Unethical but legal I guess.

Thats why as much as I've wanted production companies and record labels to hear my beats I have never sent out beat CD's because with the way cats are hungry to make a name they will do anything. Also some one could simply use the same sample as you. Anyone got any advice on how to prevent this from happening to anyone else. Are you the copy right holder of a beat even when it has samples ? I've always wondered.
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

WANTED FOR BEAT JACKIN !

ROYALTY REWARD

WANTED FOR BEAT JACKIN

...but before I get myself in trouble, do you have proof that you released those beats before Jake One @ Bassi Maestro ?
Old 16th November 2009
Here for the gear

Ahahha thanks at least I'm having a laugh...well I still have the original session of logic (probably dated 02/03) but I'm aware of the sample clearence problem (It seems like they didn't, someone already checked for inlay credits?)...I'm already on the chico case with my lawyer, I'll keep you updated but it will take time.
Thanx for the support anyway, I'll go straight to the studio and make some new fire
Old 16th November 2009
wreckingstuff
I like your beats man, but really unless you have these tracks published, released, available to buy in Italy or anywhere else, you I don't think you have a case here. Those are pretty obvious samples, if I put either of those records on, I would have probably taken similar loops and possibly used them in a similar way. There is a finite amount of that kind of material in existence and therefore a lot of people are working on the same loops and breaks... If they publish first, then... you are the beat jacker?

I read recently in a magazine "Poor mans Copyright" : Whenever you complete a track, burn it to cd and mail a copy of the cd to yourself, but don't open it. This puts an official date stamp on the package, so theoretically you can prove you wrote the track, and when.

But even then, unless your whole unique arrangement is stolen, all it would prove is that you were sampling the same records, in a similar manner.

I should think that in the event of an official release, the original writer/players on the massive sample would get more loot than you would.

I'm not trying to rinse you or school you dude, just I don't think you got bitten here, you just had the same discs
Old 16th November 2009
Here for the gear

I understand the point, and the line is really thin when it comes to samples...I'll see what I can do, but the worst thing is not about being paid if you understand what I'm sayin...Credits to other people are serious pain, expecially if the name is someone you respected, who knows maybe every respectable producer we always gave credit to has been stealing beats from day one, and I was in my lab living on clouds...whatever...
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckingstuff View Post
I read recently in a magazine "Poor mans Copyright" : Whenever you complete a track, burn it to cd and mail a copy of the cd to yourself, but don't open it. This puts an official date stamp on the package, so theoretically you can prove you wrote the track, and when.

Thought this was proven to be wrong multiple times!?
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

Son u got ****ed, BTW this post has really upset me & annoyed me, i hate biters who have no integrity.

What makes it worse in your case is that it's not just samples or ideas that have been jacked it's the whole shit. Anyone doing this type of move shouldn't have the right to call themselves a producer.

The 50 cent track "i get money" was sold to 50 by another artist who stole the 2 track off the internet and passed it off as his own work.

I would try to contact the managers or executive producers for the tracks in question and see if you can get paid if thats not working then look at legal proceedings or simply make as much noise as you can via the internet to let the U.S. Know the deal and hopeful discredit the thieves in question. This will give your work more attention and could help with future sales of beats.

Good luck and try to stay positive, if well known producers are stealing your work this is 100% proof that your a better then them.
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busdeez View Post
and the line is really thin when it comes to samples...
That's what i thought till i hear the songs, there not reworked or don't sound it, they sound like they have been straight jacked. WTF!!
Old 16th November 2009
wreckingstuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Amokk View Post
Thought this was proven to be wrong multiple times!?
Yeah that's what I'm saying, and I'm sure there are multiple threads going over that and other copyright/ownership scenarios. My point was that I don't think anybody's tracks got bitten here, and unless you publish, you have no claim and no protection, unless someone has stolen a definably unique work... And you ain't gonna get paid anyway for ripping a massive, distinctive chunk of old soul, wholesale like that, anyway unless you are on a major, and shipping huge units.
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

Jake one looks like a pecker head.
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

wow timbaland i can imagine... but jake one... wtf

indeed terry, this is not a case of same sample and that's that... this is straight jackin'!
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
do not listen to this advice or waste your time doing this. It will not hold up in court and never will.
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah that's what I'm saying, and I'm sure there are multiple threads going over that and other copyright/ownership scenarios. My point was that I don't think anybody's tracks got bitten here, and unless you publish, you have no claim and no protection, unless someone has stolen a definably unique work... And you ain't gonna get paid anyway for ripping a massive, distinctive chunk of old soul, wholesale like that, anyway unless you are on a major, and shipping huge units.
The heck if he ain't gonna get paid. If this guy is telling the truth, he will win effortlessly. Of course you can't copyright a sample but you sure can copyright arrangement and those tracks have the same chops, drums patterns, etc.
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Maniac

That's really ****ed up man! I feel sorry for you man.
I know it's difficult with sample based beats to protect them if you don't have them cleared. But he chopped the samples and made a complete new song out of it. It would be a big fortune if somebody chop and arrange a sample in the exact same way and take exact the same drumsounds. It's obvious that they stole his work and I think you can do something against it. I wish you good luck bro! Take it as promotion and a chance to spread your name. Maybe next time rakim is calling you and not f(j)ake one!

Old 17th November 2009
Here for the gear

Jake One just wrote me back and told me he did one track on the album and that's not it, and I really hope he's right.So I wait to check the real cd with credits to see what's going on and find the one resposible for it!
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

it's not on the album.

Amazon.com : Music Sampler
Old 17th November 2009
Deleted #29527
That´s really messed up!
I hope you will get your proper credit.

This is another reason I walked away from sample based music. But it´s clear that they really took your beats exactly like they were.

Good luck with this case. Try to turn this into something good by letting the people know it´s you who did the music and not somebody else.

Btw: The Rakim song is on the album, track no.9.

Peace!
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Just checked wiki and your now credited as the producer of that track, yesterday it did say Jake One and i guess the cd will also state this info. A quick search on production credits still state that he did it although i think in time most of the hip-hop outlets will change the info on there site.

Dsicogs will be the proof of the published credit on the cd or wax as they only show printed credits & leave it at that.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear